post #2941 of 4095 Old 09-12-2011, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison

Large APL windows or small APL windows matter?

Not sure if there are any whole screen APL options.
I found gamma to be stable on my display with APL (video level) > 15-20% so I use the larger APL windows and set peak white below where the brightness limiter kicks in for this patterns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 4095 Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtosic
If my TV expects 16-235, and PC is outputting 0-255, what is correct:
In typical expansion you have 220 gray values (16-235) expanded into 256 values (0-255). You will have 36 uneven gray steps. For example 22 is an uneven step in the following, where the video levels (16-235 black to white) are on the left and computer levels (0-255 black to white) are on the right:
16 -> 0
17 -> 1
18 -> 2
19 -> 3
20 -> 4
21 -> 5
22 -> 7

If your TV expects video levels, you will need the computer to output video levels (16-235 black to white) for most video to match the other electronics. My ATI card works with http://www.upsilonsoftware.com/compa...=article&id=12 but it looks like there is newer software than the link.
post #2943 of 4095 Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Large APL windows or small APL windows matter?

Not sure if there are any whole screen APL options.

[EDIT] For others who may know as little as I, the answer is large APL. There is a big discussion between alluringreality and zoyd, some of which I thought maybe I could understand but almost none of which I can explain. Except that the answer is the large APL windows in the AVS HD 709 disc, and that this is a "plasma thing".

I can't post the link, sorry. (competing forum I guess)

There was a post earlier in that thread by a pro calibrator that mentioned his preference for an older version of the AVS disc, followed up by an unanswered question about how, or if, the older version can be found. Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere ..... alluringreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

I found gamma to be stable on my display with APL (video level) > 15-20% so I use the larger APL windows and set peak white below where the brightness limiter kicks in for this patterns.

Thanks zoyd. I subscribe to the AVS Samsung PNXXD8000 calibration thread and will search and if necessary ask you there how you figure out what level the brightness limiter kicks in at (although I assume it is that the gamma curve drops off at higher IREs, the question is using what window to measure it.)
post #2944 of 4095 Old 09-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

In typical expansion you have 220 gray values (16-235) expanded into 256 values (0-255). You will have 36 uneven gray steps. For example 22 is an uneven step in the following, where the video levels (16-235 black to white) are on the left and computer levels (0-255 black to white) are on the right:
16 -> 0
17 -> 1
18 -> 2
19 -> 3
20 -> 4
21 -> 5
22 -> 7

If your TV expects video levels, you will need the computer to output video levels (16-235 black to white) for most video to match the other electronics. My ATI card works with http://www.upsilonsoftware.com/compa...=article&id=12 but it looks like there is newer software than the link.

Thanks for the clarification, so is there any difference between:
a) everything at video(16-235) levels (TV, graphic card, renderer)
b) everything at PC(0-255) levels

One more question: BluRays are video levels(16-235), are MKV's ripped to video or PC levels?
post #2945 of 4095 Old 09-12-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtosic View Post

Thanks for the clarification, so is there any difference between:
a) everything at video(16-235) levels (TV, graphic card, renderer)
b) everything at PC(0-255) levels

Assuming the TV can accept PC levels, and ignoring your prior requirement of matching the set top box, the major difference with scenario 'b' is that any above white video information is lost, and grayscale banding (the 36 uneven steps) is introduced. Effects of above white being lost is debatable, but presumably there must have been some viable reason or other to have included the information in the specifications. It's not a given that individuals will be able to easily notice the uneven steps in the grayscale, and again it's mainly just a change from the original video. Assuming a proper setup in either situation, most people will likely find it difficult to discern between the two scenarios in a blind test. Since this is a calibration forum scenario 'a' is generally recommended for video, but I'm well aware that can pose issues when using a computer as a video player.

Quote:

One more question: BluRays are video levels(16-235), are MKV's ripped to video or PC levels?

Far as I know MKV is simply a container, so if you don't re-encode the video it should match the original. Most re-encoding also would retain the original range, but it is possible to change levels when re-encoding video.
post #2946 of 4095 Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Assuming the TV can accept PC levels, and ignoring your prior requirement of matching the set top box, the major difference with scenario 'b' is that any above white video information is lost, and grayscale banding (the 36 uneven steps) is introduced. Effects of above white being lost is debatable, but presumably there must have been some viable reason or other to have included the information in the specifications. It's not a given that individuals will be able to easily notice the uneven steps in the grayscale, and again it's mainly just a change from the original video. Assuming a proper setup in either situation, most people will likely find it difficult to discern between the two scenarios in a blind test. Since this is a calibration forum scenario 'a' is generally recommended for video, but I'm well aware that can pose issues when using a computer as a video player.

Thank you for all your help, alot is clearer now
So, conclusion is, if HTPC is primarily for video reproduction, best is to stick with video levels (16-235).

Who would thought that things that seem so simple, are in reality so complicated. Or I'm just stupid
post #2947 of 4095 Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

this is a "plasma thing".

Sorry, the issue around questionable gamma measurements using windows is not limited to plasma displays. zoyd's comment of "the measured value will depend on the size of the window" applies to other display types such as:

- CRT
- LCD-based displays with adjusting backlights
- Projectors with a dynamic iris

Other types of displays may measure somewhat consistently, regardless of window size, and examples include:

- LCD-based technology with fixed backlighting
- Digital projectors using a fixed iris

Aside from the effects of room lighting, the main issue surrounding gamma is that there are many different types of available displays, and various displays don't tend to measure similarly with windows. Adjusting iris or dynamic backlight models generally seem the most different than other displays when measuring windows, so if someone took one of those displays and got window measurements "perfect" using a video processor, it may be far off the intended mark in a side-by-side comparison. In my opinion gamma calibration using measurements seems poorly standardized, I question how much different math would help (http://www.spectracal.com/documents/...estimation.pdf) when continuing to use windows, and I doubt how well supporters of 'small windows' have tested the theory.

Quote:

There was a post earlier in that thread by a pro calibrator that mentioned his preference for an older version of the AVS disc, followed up by an unanswered question about how, or if, the older version can be found. Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere ..... alluringreality?

I know what you're talking about, and nothing was ever reported that could be double-checked. When I was putting together the current version, I found a problem with the software that had been used to author the prior AVCHD, so my recommendation is to use the current versions. As always, anyone is welcome to report any discovered issues.
post #2948 of 4095 Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who would thought that things that seem so simple, are in reality so complicated.

Some of the older drivers for my video card used to switch between 16-235 and 0-255 depending on the format of the video being played, but yeah, even without that computer calibration can be rather complex.
post #2949 of 4095 Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Sorry, the issue around questionable gamma measurements using windows is not limited to plasma displays. zoyd's comment of "the measured value will depend on the size of the window" applies to other display types such as:

- CRT
- LCD-based displays with adjusting backlights
- Projectors with a dynamic iris

Other types of displays may measure somewhat consistently, regardless of window size, and examples include:

- LCD-based technology with fixed backlighting
- Digital projectors using a fixed iris

Aside from the effects of room lighting, the main issue surrounding gamma is that there are many different types of available displays, and various displays don't tend to measure similarly with windows. Adjusting iris or dynamic backlight models generally seem the most different than other displays when measuring windows, so if someone took one of those displays and got window measurements "perfect" using a video processor, it may be far off the intended mark in a side-by-side comparison. In my opinion gamma calibration using measurements seems poorly standardized, I question how much different math would help (http://www.spectracal.com/documents/...estimation.pdf) when continuing to use windows, and I doubt how well supporters of 'small windows' have tested the theory.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. So if I understand correctly, in addition to all the factors about how gamma is, or should be, defined, measured and calculated by these various calibration software products, there is an additional variable with some of these plasma sets which have some sort of built in "floating gamma", and all we are doing is trying to find the right stimulus to measure and adjustments to fudge so that at least this quirk of these sets is negated as much as possible. And currently the best stimulus appears to be the large APL windows (but with a depressingly low contrast setting). That about right?
post #2950 of 4095 Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

all the factors about how gamma is, or should be, defined, measured and calculated by these various calibration software products

This is a fair summary of my gripe, that different displays simply do not tend to measure luminance similarly using windows. (gamma just represents relative luminance)

Quote:

there is an additional variable with some of these plasma sets which have some sort of built in "floating gamma", and all we are doing is trying to find the right stimulus to measure and adjustments to fudge so that at least this quirk of these sets is negated as much as possible.

I would tend to classify this as what zoyd seemed to mainly be looking into. As an aside, consumer CRTs probably tend to vary on-screen gamma to some extent, but I cannot say if the plasma effect is at all similar.

Quote:

And currently the best stimulus appears to be the large APL windows (but with a depressingly low contrast setting).

I'm not sure what the point is to "set peak white below where the brightness limiter kicks in for this patterns", since the APL measurement defeats the major effect of brightness limiting on window measurements, but like I meant to say above, my main focus is not necessarily in line with what zoyd was looking at.
post #2951 of 4095 Old 09-13-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

I'm not sure what the point is to "set peak white below where the brightness limiter kicks in for this patterns", since the APL measurement defeats the major effect of brightness limiting on window measurements, but like I meant to say above, my main focus is not necessarily in line with what zoyd was looking at.

I agree, the avoidance of generating a flat gamma when ABL is active may not be relevant to others. I run my display in a dimly lit environment at what many consider to be low peak white values (28-35 ftL). The majority of the time I will never hit ABL picture levels so it just makes sense to calibrate using a "typical" scene, ie one where ABL is not active. For others who through preference or due to bright rooms that want to run peak whites much higher have two options:

1. Flatten gamma using a lower peak white which does not activate the ABL and then raise contrast to the desired level afterwards
2. Flatten gamma using the desired final peak white values.

The first case will generate a too low gamma for very bright scenes (ABL active) while the second case will generate a too high gamma for low to mid brightness scenes (ABL not active). I have no idea whether one would be able to distinguish the difference between the two cases.
post #2952 of 4095 Old 09-14-2011, 01:48 AM

OK, I'm continuing with plasma TV calibration.
Primarily, I'm using this tutorial:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

It says that light output on plasma displays on 100% IRE pattern should be 30-40 ftl.

I'm calibrating for night viewing mode, so I calibrated to 32ftl (I've seen lot of people calibrate to that value in LG xxPK550 owners thread (that's my set).

Second, in tutorial is said that brightness should be calibrated to 0,65% of desired light output at 10% IRE pattern.

So, at 32ftl, I have Y = 110.76, which gives me 0.72ftl at 10% IRE pattern.
But, I have 2 issues here:

1.When I calibrate contrast to 32ftl, I see all white bars flashing in white clipping pattern
2. If I set brightness to 0,65% of desired ftl, my picture is too bright, and I see all black bars flashing in black clipping pattern

So, are these formulas correct? Or there is another preffered way to calibrate contrast and brigtness.

Also, I found that Limited RGB in ATI drivers + Limited RGB in renderer (MPC-HC EVR CP) gives me grey black (it seems that signal is double compressed).

So, these are my settings:
I'm using Eye One Display 2 with HCFR for display calibration.

1. Low black at TV set (16-235)
2. Full RGB in ATI driver (0-255)
3. Limited RGB in renderer (16-235)
4. Contrast calibrated to 32ftl at 100% IRE pattern
5. Brightness calibrated so I can't see bars 0-16 flashing in Black clipping pattern
6. Using LG 20 IRE point calibration method

Below are my calibration results (didn't do CMS yet). What it concers me, that gamma setting is too low (below 2,2). How can I correct this:

1.Luminance

2.Gamma

3. RGB Levels

4. Color temperature
post #2953 of 4095 Old 09-14-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It says that light output on plasma displays on 100% IRE pattern should be 30-40 ftl.

The other recent discussion generally surrounds luminance measurements on plasma. Depending on the size of the pattern measured you will tend to get different Y values for white. The small APL pattern will have the highest Y for white, and a field would have the lowest Y for white. Personally I don't stick very closely to this guide, but I mainly use a dim room for watching so I can get by with slightly low whites if necessary.

Quote:

Second, in tutorial is said that brightness should be calibrated to 0,65% of desired light output at 10% IRE pattern.

I don't agree. My recommendation is to generaly stick to the first two patterns from the basic settings for setting brightness, unless the Dynamic Brightness pattern in Misc shows that you're badly crushing the low-end on bright scenes.

Quote:

What it concers me, that gamma setting is too low (below 2,2). How can I correct this

Your graph falls off at the high end. That's probably not how your TV actually functions when watching video. The following is not generally accepted, but my recommendation is to measure the APL patterns. If you only want to measure one, use the large APL. Also measuring the small APL would likely show that on-screen gamma changes a bit depending on the image displayed. Your contrast may or may not affect how the APL patterns measure.

Quote:

Also, I found that Limited RGB in ATI drivers + Limited RGB in renderer (MPC-HC EVR CP) gives me grey black (it seems that signal is double compressed).

That's possible. Most likely setting one to limited will get you to a 16-235 output for video, but your method likely retains the above white and below black information.
post #2954 of 4095 Old 09-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

I think measuring gamma using windowed patterns on these displays is pointless because the measured value will depend on the size of the window. Use a constant APL pattern which does not probe your brightness limiter at the high end.

One can assume scenes with dark shades will have low APL and scenes with bright shades will have high APL but scenes with very high contrast will be rare. And it more or less can be simulated with window patterns.

But my main concern regarding the APL patterns (either small or big) was thet my TV has a relatively big and opaque OSD box to control the calibration settings.
How could I avoid the fluctuating APL if the OSD slider and it's background box covers a lot of the screen area?
Yah, I could exit from the menu from time to time, but it would be very time-consuming.

It would be nice if Samsung TVs would be remote controllable with disabled OSD like the new Panasonics.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #2955 of 4095 Old 09-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

EVR-CP doesn't support limited RGB output with proper whiter-than-white because the mixer output is strictly full range RGB with clipped WTW and the limited output is only a result of a post-process shader code.

madVR (it's a third-party renderer which works with MPCHC and some other players) can output limited range RGB with BTB and WTW information.

The ATI driver pixel-format options are all fakes. The limited RGB is only a post-process on the full range RGB framebuffers (like the shader in MPCHC but the results aren't dithered back to 8/10-bit as nicely as with MPCHC) and the YCC mode is "double-fake" (the framebuffer is still RGB full and don't expect HQ RGB->YCC conversion with advanced dithering, it's more like a compatibility but not a quality feature...)

post #2956 of 4095 Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

But my main concern regarding the APL patterns (either small or big) was thet my TV has a relatively big and opaque OSD box to control the calibration settings.

I don't follow the thinking, because your TV has the same controls if you instead use window patterns.

Quote:

Yah, I could exit from the menu from time to time, but it would be very time-consuming.

The quickest way to look at the effects of the on-screen-display is to take one measurement run with the screen closed, take another measurement run with the screen open, and compare the measures. Without making a comparison it's difficult to say what effects the overlay has on measurements. If you account for any difference between the two runs when having the overlay on-screen and making adjustments, you may be able to anticipate a final measurement run that has the on-screen-display closed.
post #2957 of 4095 Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't follow the thinking, because your TV has the same controls if you instead use window patterns.

But it's very simple: The OSD (partially) covers the patches on the screen. And the patches move on the screen, so different set of patches can be covered with different arrangements.
Take a look at the attached images (sorry, I just made those with my phone, I didn't fix the exposition time but it doesn't really matter now).

Quote:

The quickest way to look at the effects of the on-screen-display is to take one measurement run with the screen closed, take another measurement run with the screen open, and compare the measures. Without making a comparison it's difficult to say what effects the overlay has on measurements. If you account for any difference between the two runs when having the overlay on-screen and making adjustments, you may be able to anticipate a final measurement run that has the on-screen-display closed.

I know. I already did it. Well, it wasn't a nicely constructed test and I didn't documented anything but I figured out that I must use small window patterns because I ran out of the limits of the 10p grayscale adjustment sliders with the standard window (I set -10,-10,-10 on the [-10;+10] scale and I wasn't even close to my luminance target with IREs ~60-90 while small window measurements suggested reasonable adjustments).

I never tried to calibrate with the APL patterns though. And I think I want to lower my peak luminance anyway (I had a smaller LCD when I used to the 120 cd/m^2 target), so I guess I will re-calibrate my TV today and give the APL patterns (large or small) a shot.
LL
LL

post #2958 of 4095 Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM

I ended up using the Large APL Patterns. The small APL windows gave a significantly lower 100% IRE fl vs the large windows. My display is a Samsung 55 inch LED backlit LCD. You may want to check this before you get too far along.
post #2959 of 4095 Old 09-15-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The OSD (partially) covers the patches on the screen.

Alright, I get it now. Yeah, if you want to take measurements with the overlay on-screen, it would make sense to do a comparison. If certain patterns measure high or low with the overlay you could try to aim in the opposite direction. The only measurements that matter are when the overlay is off, and I can't say if it might just be easier to do complete measurement runs with the overlay off.
post #2960 of 4095 Old 09-15-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
EVR-CP doesn't support limited RGB output with proper whiter-than-white because the mixer output is strictly full range RGB with clipped WTW and the limited output is only a result of a post-process shader code.

madVR (it's a third-party renderer which works with MPCHC and some other players) can output limited range RGB with BTB and WTW information.
Are you sure about this? I'm seeing BTB (0-16 bars on black clipping pattern) and WTW (235-255 on white clipping pattern) with EVR-CP set on Limited RGB (my TV also expects limited RGB, ATI outputs FULL RGB).

I know about madVR, but my Zacate (AMD Fusion E-350) isn't powerful enough to drive 1080p movies, only 720p.
post #2961 of 4095 Old 09-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Liked: 12
Hey Guys,

I tried (really did) to understand the gamma dilemma with the pattern size and whether or not the pattern is APL. If anyone finds the time to explain this in a thread I made, I bet it would make a lot of confused ppl happy

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display. -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer
post #2962 of 4095 Old 09-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Well, it depends on the actual MPC-HC version.

The latest trunk and experimental test builds will always work with Full Range RGB mixer output because our tests implied that this is the only output format which is correctly handled by the EVR mixer. For some reason, it clips the Cb and Cr levels of the YCC output formats.
It's Microsoft's fault, the custom renderer in MPC-HC depends on the EVR mixer which is part of the Windows OS.
I plan to install a Windows 8 preview build to check out if anything changed yet.

post #2963 of 4095 Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 AM

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has tried using this DVD on an LG LH7000 HDTV? I have one, and would like to cross reference my findings with others who have the same set. Many thanks in Advance.

EDIT: Out of all the preset modes on an LG TV, what is the best starting point for "tweaking" the picture? (Such as Game, Cinema etc.)#

EDIT EDIT!: What are the best settings for gamma etc when using this DVD? I normally just default the preset, then go from there (Whilst turning off 100hz technology etc.)
post #2964 of 4095 Old 09-21-2011, 04:10 PM

Liked: 179
Quote:

What it concers me, that gamma setting is too low (below 2,2). How can I correct this:

do you have 10 point IRE settings on that tv?

Edit: i see that you have 20 point settings?
thats great
well i think i will have the nobel prize for this
i just discoverd that you can adjust the gamma exactly the same way that you adjust the grayscale
The 10 point IRE settings is also connected to the gamma curve

in your case you should lower the brightness for IRE 10 to 60
higher the brightness for IRE 70 so that you get down to 2.2
lower some brightness for IRE 80 and more for IRE 90

in chroma pure you have the calculated Y target values for the gamma so its easy to adjust it
i dont remember if you have those targets in HCFR

as for the adjustment:
check the Y value at the same time as the whitebalance
start to higher/lower Red/green/blue for each IRE at The same amount

if you put some work to it you could also get this Reference gamma curve/line
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb192876/LG...ryDetailed.pdf
post #2965 of 4095 Old 09-25-2011, 03:49 AM

Liked: 179
Quote:

Below are my calibration results (didn't do CMS yet). What it concers me, that gamma setting is too low (below 2,2). How can I correct this:

so how is it going with your crappy gamma curve?
speed up man
you cant watch your tv with this ****** settings
post #2966 of 4095 Old 09-25-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

so how is it going with your crappy gamma curve?
speed up man
you cant watch your tv with this ****** settings

Sry, I had too much work in the last two weeks.
Will try to recalibrate this week If i find some time.

Thanks for the tip
post #2967 of 4095 Old 09-25-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

if you put some work to it you could also get this Reference gamma curve/line
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb192876/LG...ryDetailed.pdf

Checking your report i'm seeing that you have used 100% Color Gamut Patterns.

Generally 75% Color Patterns are recommended and you will have better results if you re-calibrate your Display using them.

Doing that you will have similar dE errors but the image will be better.

Luminance of 75% Color Patterns has about 50% of the luminance of 100%, so your adjustment point is at the center of the color luminance range.

Using 100% Color Patterns your adjustment point is at the highest end of the luminance range but you will propably have larger errors at lower luminances.

You can check how your display is tracking at different saturation levels using ChromaPure Saturations Module + AVSHD Saturation Patterns.

This will give you accurate results if your display is tracking 2.22 to 25%,50%,75%,100% of Grayscale because ChromaPure Targets are calculated from a 2.22 Gamma & AVSHD Saturation Patterns RGB Triplet Values used are generated for a 2.22 Gamma Only.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #2968 of 4095 Old 09-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

I gave the Large APL patterns a shot but it lead to a disastrous result with my "hacked" D550. It was hard to hit the target until the charts eventually looked good and the actual colorimetric performance was obviously poor with real movie contents (the picture reminded my to my old IPS LCD in it's uncalibrated state). However, the Small APL patterns proved to be a bit better than my reduced 1/4 size window patterns.

post #2969 of 4095 Old 09-25-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

I gave the Large APL patterns a shot but it lead to a disastrous result with my "hacked" D550. It was hard to hit the target until the charts eventually looked good and the actual colorimetric performance was obviously poor with real movie contents (the picture reminded my to my old IPS LCD in it's uncalibrated state). However, the Small APL patterns proved to be a bit better than my reduced 1/4 size window patterns.

Funny; on my D550 LCD, large APL patterns produce the best result and full field patterns are a very close second. Both windows and small APL patterns result in gamma readings that are way out of range (very high point gamma readings). Based on this, you must have the D550 plasma.
post #2970 of 4095 Old 09-27-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Regarding the APL Large and Small Gray Patterns, if you were to quantify the APL that each of these holds constant, what would that be? Basically, what would the equivalent percent stimulus for a full field pattern for each? I hope my question makes sense as I'm not sure exactly how to phrase it.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , lg bp530
Gear in this thread - bp530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page