post #91 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear5k View Post

We OEM it and have had it as an option for a while now. We have not pushed it because our business has been largely consumer-based where price matters a lot. To a Pro, the incremental accuracy, speed and onboard memory would be a Good Thing.

OK. I took this post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...0&postcount=60

to mean that you were still in talks with X-Rite about offering this as an option.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

With respect to the above:

1. Correction...you do take a DARK LEVEL reading...the very first tsep when using the PL software is to take a DARK LEVEL reading as clearly noted in the manual (and yes, I read it)...the problem is with the software in that it DOES NOT force a reading...

I am not sure if it is required for the CA-6X probe, but I know a dark level calibration is NOT required for the newer C-5 probe.

Bob
post #93 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bill:

As always I appreaciate the detailed and timely response...that said:

Quote:

We have both xyY offset and 3x3 matrix profiling in now, though they are not well documented. We will be rolling out a regression-based approach in a point release in the future, though this will be spreadsheet-based for a while (too much UI work is in line ahead of it). The regression-approach requires us to make some additional internal changes, so there is still a little work to be done.

By the way, we do all of the math ourselves on this to ensure that it is done accurately. Excel has had bugs in its statistics libraries for years, and it is just easier for us to go straight to the raw matrix math.

To be clear does this mean that for the time being -- that is, until the funtionality is fully built in -- that I am still better off using the UNPROFILED CA-6X for gamma and grayscale and the i1Pro for color decoding and color gamut? Please confirm or correct.

Quote:

I would use the CA-6X for grayscale work on most displays, and then use the i1 Pro for gamut work (e.g., CMS, Color Decoder). On "odd" displays, you may want to use the i1 Pro for everything, despite its limited range.

Bill, is there any way of doing this without exiting and restarting CalMAN eachtime one wants to change a meter because this is a little time consuming as follows:

1. start CalMAN, select, CA-6X, do gamma and grayscale
2. exit CalMAN
3. start CalMAN, select i1Pro, do color decoding and color gamut
4. repeat steps 1 to 3 for each subsequent iteration/pass

As always, thanks so much

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #94 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

I am not sure if it is required for the CA-6X probe, but I know a dark level calibration is NOT required for the newer C-5 probe.

Bob

Bob:

Appreciate the clarification...perhaps Cliff or someone else who knows the difference between the CA-6X and C-5 can chime in...

Joel
post #95 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Bill, is there any way of doing this without exiting and restarting CalMAN eachtime one wants to change a meter because this is a little time consuming as follows:

1. start CalMAN, select, CA-6X, do gamma and grayscale
2. exit CalMAN
3. start CalMAN, select i1Pro, do color decoding and color gamut
4. repeat steps 1 to 3 for each subsequent iteration/pass

As always, thanks so much

You don't need to exit CalMAN v3 to change meters just go to the meter page and select a different meter. I do it all the time even with the calibration run page open.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #96 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bob:

Appreciate the clarification...perhaps Cliff or someone else who knows the difference between the CA-6X and C-5 can chime in...

Yes the 6X / SigmaRGB does need a dark offset and the C5 / Chroma5 does not just point and shoot.

Derek

post #97 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Derek:

Appreciate your clariifcation of both point...a related question, does the CA-6X need repeated Dark Offset readings or just the one...

TIA.

Joel
post #98 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The Ca-6X probe needs to have only one "Dark Measure" performed at the beginning of the calibration session. The instrument does not have the type of thermal drift taking place which is inherent in the i!Pro which forces you to take repeated Dark Measurements every ten minutes.
post #99 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghibliss View Post

The Ca-6X probe needs to have only one "Dark Measure" performed at the beginning of the calibration session. The instrument does not have the type fo thermal drift taking place which is inherent in the i!Pro which forces you to take repeated Dark Measurements every ten minutes.

Cliff, thanks, greatly apprecaited...

Joel
post #100 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The source of the confusion is that Cliff's software and documentation is still called CA-6X, even though he is now selling it with the newer C-5 probe that does not require a dark level reading.

Joel, apparently you have the original CA-6X probe that DOES require a dark level reading.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #101 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 AM

Liked: 53
The CA-6x requires a dark level reading the C5 doesn't. When using the C5 it doesn't ask you to take a dark level reading like it does with the CA-6x.

Bob
post #102 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

I have a JVC RS1 and want to calibrate it properly (better than DVE). I've downloaded HCFR and got Spider2 for Christmas (still unopened). I don't have the money to get the iPro, so I have 2 questions. Given my display:

1. Should I return the Spider2 and get a Display 2 instead?
2. If I'm not using One-Eyes software (initially HCFR and potentially CalMAN if HCFR keeps me wanting more), should I pay the premium to get the Display 2 or is the Display LT sufficient? In other words, what is the difference between the two.

Thanks in advance,

Krister

Krister
post #103 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post

I have a JVC RS1 and want to calibrate it properly (better than DVE).

Then you'll need an external video processor that has calibration tools. The RS1 lacks any controls for calibration beyond a rather primitive gray scale control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post

1. Should I return the Spider2 and get a Display 2 instead?
2. If I'm not using One-Eyes software (initially HCFR and potentially CalMAN if HCFR keeps me wanting more), should I pay the premium to get the Display 2 or is the Display LT sufficient? In other words, what is the difference between the two.

I would. The hardware is identical. Only the bundled software is different.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #104 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Tom, I plan on playing with HCFR when the next version comes out. I have The i1 pro, display 2 and spyder 2. I can do a quick run with all 3 and post the results here if you'd like some more data to play with. I have a SXRD 70XBR2.
post #105 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 10:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

We generally recommend the DisplayLT over the Spyder unless you are severely budget constrained.

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #106 of 315 Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

First... thank you Bear5k and Tom for your input .

Bear5k... why are you recommending the Display LT if the CalMAN software program seems to consistently be associated with Display 2 (not the Display LT)?

I understand that both of them seem much better than Spider2 and significantly less expensive than the i!Pro. For me the question now has become is the Display 2 worth the premium price over the Display LT?

Krister
post #107 of 315 Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

The hardware is the same (Eye-One Display). We try to indicate both of them most places, so if you got the impression we only worked with the Display2, then I did something wrong somewhere. ops:

Bill

post #108 of 315 Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Besides Calman is there any other software that fully impliments C3 access to the new Kuro range?
post #109 of 315 Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The hardware is the same (Eye-One Display). We try to indicate both of them most places, so if you got the impression we only worked with the Display2, then I did something wrong somewhere. ops:

Bill

THANKS !!!!!!

Krister
post #110 of 315 Old 01-20-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

Derek:

OK, I am happy to be corrected on this.

However, am I correct that this is a new policy with v. 3? Because when I asked about getting a new license file for a replacement D2, I was told that I would have to buy a new license fee or upgrade to v. 3. Also, v. 2 did tie the meter to the software via the serial # and there were different costs based on the meter license you requested.

I just haven't kept up with the v. 3 policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

Yes this was all changed and updated when we release V3.

That makes Calman more appealing to me now.....

That was a terrible Policy/Requirement for your Customers (and potential Customers ) in

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #111 of 315 Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

That makes Calman more appealing to me now.....

That was a terrible Policy/Requirement for your Customers (and potential Customers ) in

We agree that's why our v2 customers can upgrade to v3 for free and with v3 we don't care how many meters you have or if you need to change one out.

Derek

post #112 of 315 Old 01-20-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonmod View Post

Besides Calman is there any other software that fully impliments C3 access to the new Kuro range?

Actually, we haven't done this yet. We are fully licensed to do it, but it will be one of the big features for our Pro version. Other than us, Sencore and ColorFacts have solutions for prior generations of C3 Remote, but no one has yet shipped a version for the current Kuro (G8) Pioneer panels, of which I am aware. I expect that Sencore will be first to market, but we'll see if we can catch them (they have a pretty big head start).

Bill

post #113 of 315 Old 01-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually, we haven't done this yet. We are fully licensed to do it, but it will be one of the big features for our Pro version. Other than us, Sencore and ColorFacts have solutions for prior generations of C3 Remote, but no one has yet shipped a version for the current Kuro (G8) Pioneer panels, of which I am aware. I expect that Sencore will be first to market, but we'll see if we can catch them (they have a pretty big head start).

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks!

Just found out some new info on this yesterday, that Colorfacts has a working C3 interface for the G8 Kuro's and is in use with ISF calibrators in the UK, it has a few minor bugs but apparently does not effect full calibration via C3 but they will be dropping C3 access for the G9's +.

Sencore will be first and i believe via Derek, that Calman is hopefully also looking to support G9's C3 interface, which is good news, so there will only be 2 Cal softwares to support C3 for the G9's!

I see you mention that this will be in the pro version but i'm sure i understood from Derek that the general/pro versions will be the same, from a calibration perspective, just sensor support is different.

I hope Getgrey are successful as this is/will be a highly sort after feature for G8 and G9!
post #114 of 315 Old 01-21-2008, 03:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonmod View Post

I see you mention that this will be in the pro version but i'm sure i understood from Derek that the general/pro versions will be the same, from a calibration perspective, just sensor support is different.

I think there's some confusion. The ISF C3 support will be in our Pro version. Currently, the Pro version is an unlocked copy of v3, but this will change once we start adding features to it. This is one of those features.

Bill

post #115 of 315 Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think there's some confusion. The ISF C3 support will be in our Pro version. Currently, the Pro version is an unlocked copy of v3, but this will change once we start adding features to it. This is one of those features.

Bill

Shame as i would like the standard version to have this C3 function, i'm not looking to go Pro and calibrate all types of displays, just the one display i will own, which will probably be a G8 or G9 Kuro and would like full cal access to it.

Any chance of a cut down pro/budget version or a one off version with C3 for Ppl like me? as if not it would then mean paying 4x as much just to get the C3 remote feature? (Please)
post #116 of 315 Old 01-22-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

There's always Sencore...

post #117 of 315 Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 AM

My first post here so hello to everyone.

Very informative thread - thank's a lot. I've come from a computer LCD world but am in the market for a colorimeter at the moment and am considering either Eye1 or Spyder3 which looks very interesting on the paper but there hasn't been much proper testing done using this device.

Any idea how does this relatively new product perform? Any chances for formal testing, similar to these that have been done with other devices here? Do you know any other sites that performed Spyder3 calibration accuracy tests?

What about the rumors that new Eye1 is coming to the market soon? Just rumors or has it been confirmed somewhere and I should hold my buying decision a bit and wait for the new baby?

Thank's a lot for any information and suggestions.
post #118 of 315 Old 02-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

I just got an i1 Pro and noticed how flimsy the side button is. It moves/slides around very easily without much effort exposing the innards if not very careful. Is this normal?

post #119 of 315 Old 02-10-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

That's pretty poor. We've sold a few i1 Professionals, and no one has reported anything like that -- especially not in so short a time. I'd call X-rite for a replacement.

post #120 of 315 Old 02-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

That's what I'd do. For its price it should hold up together better .
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page