Westinghouse 32" (SK-32H520S and maybe SK-32H240S) Guide to fix green push... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EDIT: There is no Green push it was the Cool color temp with the color to high that was causing this Use Warm Color temp setting for best pic. Neutral is ok but a bit to blue on movies. I had the color WAY to high at 27 it over saturated all the colors and i set it at 20 and it is spot on. Heres a small guide i made to set this tv up just right. If ur using the normal tv stations or hdmi inputs this is spot on perfect after using calibration disks to set contrast, brightness, sharpness......

Ok turn on the tv select you input and select the pre set Movie mode this will set the color temp to Warm which is the NTSC standard 6500k (i called westinghouse and they confirmed its the 6500k option)... ok dont panic i know the pic is blurry thats the sharpness. ok time to goto the video settings and set it like this....

Brightness: 11
Contrast: 47
Saturation: 20
Hue: 25
Sharpness: 4
Backlight: 30

This tv has some extra noise reduction features but dont really effect the pic much you can use what ever you want on these.

Also goto the Color Temp. option and make sure its on warm. I dont recommend changing it to neutral then back to warm to see which is better neutral is more blue and will prob look better when trying both because human eyes respond to a blue image more but neutral will show overly blue picture on alot of stuff. if you think neutral looks better i suggest wacthing the tv in warm for a week and then trying neutral you will notice its way more blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 AM

thanks, i'll give it a try. but, this set will be going back, since there is a vertical line, top to bottom, on the right side.

post #3 of 29 Old 01-11-2008, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

after messing with the tv awhile i noticed the reason i seen green was because i was using the cool mode. using The neutral color temp was the best and doesnt have the green. My first tv had a verital pixel issue to but i got this one and it doesnt.
post #4 of 29 Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 AM

I never had the green problem that others have had. I have however changed the red/green/blue settings and its looks much better.

However I do have a different problem. Have either of you had a problem with the remotes. It worked fine for the first 2 weeks and now it works rarely if at all. I have my cable box remote programmed and it doesn't really work. The remote that came with the TV doesn't work well either. It works may 1/50 times. I think its a problem with the IR receiver in the TV. I have the extended warranty from BB but for some reason this set is no longer listed on their website! Anyone have any ideas on what it might be?? Thanks.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-14-2008, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

what did you change ur red/green/blue settings to and what model? My remote started doing that but it was dead batterys lol the ones that come wiht it die fast. Reason i seen green was because i was using the cool mode which admits a greenish tone instead of blue. neutral i noticed doesnt do this.
post #6 of 29 Old 01-15-2008, 02:29 PM

I have the SK-32H520S. I changed the setting to Red-25,Green-22-, and Blue-25. I changed to batteries in the remote and it still doesn't work. It doesn't work with the cable box remote either. I have it programmed right because it worked at first. I believe the code was 0-1-1-1. The past fews days it hasn't worked even once! Everything else works fine and I'm happy with the picture, but I feel like I'm back in the 70's having to get up to change the volume and turn it on and off.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

i donno about your remote but i have found cool mode is what was giving a very green pic while neutral is basicly 25/25/25 and seems better i wacthed the cool mode for liek 2 week and thats what mad eme see green but trying neutral mode it seems right. Only thing is warm mode seems better for videos but has a redish white.
post #8 of 29 Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitone View Post

thanks, i'll give it a try. but, this set will be going back, since there is a vertical line, top to bottom, on the right side.

you need to change the video size to fill, you have it on standard.
the line on the right will be gone.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-22-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik View Post

you need to change the video size to full, you have it on standard.
the line on the right will be gone.

I think he meant that there is a line of pixels out. I believe he knows the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Has anyone had a problem in standard def of a thin black line at the very top of the picture with a thin white line moving through it. It almost looks as if the picture needs to be raised about 1/4" up to fill the screen properly. If I put the picture on the 2nd scretch mode is corrects the problem but I like to keep the picture as normal as possible.
post #11 of 29 Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoke115 View Post

I think he meant that there is a line of pixels out. I believe he knows the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios.

I am not talking about aspect ratios. I have the same tv and several others.
Its an issue with this model. If there is a line of "garbage" on the side until you change the OVERSCAN mode to fill, its set to "standard" from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathead View Post

Has anyone had a problem in standard def of a thin black line at the very top of the picture with a thin white line moving through it. It almost looks as if the picture needs to be raised about 1/4" up to fill the screen properly. If I put the picture on the 2nd scretch mode is corrects the problem but I like to keep the picture as normal as possible.

read above.......
post #12 of 29 Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

the lines at the top is just the closed caption info. just change it to fill and it put it right for that program. usally only shows up on hd channels
post #13 of 29 Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 AM

the lines at the top is just the closed caption info. just change it to fill and it put it right for that program. usally only shows up on hd channels

It doesn't show up at all in HD only standard def. I cannot find a way to turn on or off on closed caption in the menu. I do the 10% strech and it fixes the problem but the standard def pic looks better when it is not stretched. I only paid $450 so I guess you get what you pay for but overall I like the tv very much.
post #14 of 29 Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 AM

Will these settings work on a 32" SK-32H510S?
post #15 of 29 Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBearBalls View Post

Will these settings work on a 32" SK-32H510S?

just try it and you can figure out if it looks any better
post #16 of 29 Old 02-14-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathead View Post

It doesn't show up at all in HD only standard def. I cannot find a way to turn on or off on closed caption in the menu. I do the 10% strech and it fixes the problem but the standard def pic looks better when it is not stretched. I only paid $450 so I guess you get what you pay for but overall I like the tv very much.

I just setup my SK-32h520S today and it has the black and white jumbled line on the top screen too. Only on SD channels. Anyone have a resolution?
post #17 of 29 Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1855 View Post

I just setup my SK-32h520S today and it has the black and white jumbled line on the top screen too. Only on SD channels. Anyone have a resolution?

So I called Westinghouse today, we did some resets on the TV, still a no go! Then I was on hold. The customer representative said he talked to someone else and said it was the closed caption and that I needed to contact the cable company (Cox Communications). Okay, I called Cox, we reset the digital box, changed wires from HDMI to Component cables, still no luck. We checked the setting for Closed Caption, it was turned off. So I know now its definitely not the closed caption option. They told me to call Westinghouse back again. I been on the phone too long today, I'll try Westinghouse tomorrow. Probably get the run around again....
post #18 of 29 Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1855 View Post

So I called Westinghouse today, we did some resets on the TV, still a no go! Then I was on hold. The customer representative said he talked to someone else and said it was the closed caption and that I needed to contact the cable company (Cox Communications). Okay, I called Cox, we reset the digital box, changed wires from HDMI to Component cables, still no luck. We checked the setting for Closed Caption, it was turned off. So I know now its definitely not the closed caption option. They told me to call Westinghouse back again. I been on the phone too long today, I'll try Westinghouse tomorrow. Probably get the run around again....

Did you find an answer on this. I see it on some channels, too.
post #19 of 29 Old 02-28-2008, 08:52 PM

anyone esle having problems with the remote? i know two others that bought this at the same time as me, and both say the remotes sucks but that they still work. mine worked ok at best for a bout a week, now the power button is the only one that works at all. my time warner remote doesn't work either. my harmony one controls it but you have to hold the button down longer than normal. almost seems to be a problem in the tv and not the remote. i can still return this, anyone think i should? is westy just totally not worth it? even for a bedroom set?
post #20 of 29 Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyo415 View Post

I haven't found the solution yet.
post #21 of 29 Old 03-19-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james View Post

anyone esle having problems with the remote? i know two others that bought this at the same time as me, and both say the remotes sucks but that they still work. mine worked ok at best for a bout a week, now the power button is the only one that works at all. my time warner remote doesn't work either. my harmony one controls it but you have to hold the button down longer than normal. almost seems to be a problem in the tv and not the remote. i can still return this, anyone think i should? is westy just totally not worth it? even for a bedroom set?

Like others are saying the remote is sluggish. But since I'm sitting less than 8 feet away, the problem is something I can live with, but think should work better.
post #22 of 29 Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyo415 View Post

Please. Listen carefully. If you see a white line which looks like a bunch of animated scrambled dashes at the very top of your screen, there is NOTHING wrong with your TV. This is a data stream mostly used for closed captioning that your TV is displaying because it's not set to overscan like most SDTVs. All you need to do to fix this "problem" is set the TV to "fill" like someone suggested earlier. The cable company is not going to fix this, nor is Westinghouse going to fix it because there's nothing to fix. Closed caption data has always been right there, you just didn't see it because your picture tube didn't display the entire signal. Press the button on your remote until it says "fill" and go on with your lives. Please.

Thanks
post #23 of 29 Old 04-23-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthor View Post

Please. Listen carefully. If you see a white line which looks like a bunch of animated scrambled dashes at the very top of your screen, there is NOTHING wrong with your TV. This is a data stream mostly used for closed captioning that your TV is displaying because it's not set to overscan like most SDTVs. All you need to do to fix this "problem" is set the TV to "fill" like someone suggested earlier. The cable company is not going to fix this, nor is Westinghouse going to fix it because there's nothing to fix. Closed caption data has always been right there, you just didn't see it because your picture tube didn't display the entire signal. Press the button on your remote until it says "fill" and go on with your lives. Please.

Thanks

If you "fill", then your HD channels are oversized.
post #24 of 29 Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 PM

that would be called overscan. my tv does the same thing on cox.
post #25 of 29 Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddholly View Post

that would be called overscan. my tv does the same thing on cox.

well, ... at least yours USED to overscan...

post #26 of 29 Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM

I'm in the same boat as you guys. This is my first HDTV.

white flickering line at the top of some/most Sd channels, and HD channels with SD content (local news on the local ABC HD channel for instance)

so here's my experience - I can choose to "fill" on my tv, or I can choose to stretch through my cox DVR HD reciever - however - My HD channels look better when not stretched or zoomed (except that 480 SD content, like local news) so If I stretch or zoom, or fill, or overscan, Im going to be switching back everytime I change to HD.

IS THIS REALLY HOW PEOPLE WATCH HD TELEVISIONS?!?!?!?

uhg.
post #27 of 29 Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayaa3 View Post

white flickering line at the top of some/most Sd channels, and HD channels with SD content (local news on the local ABC HD channel for instance)

so here's my experience - I can choose to "fill" on my tv, or I can choose to stretch through my cox DVR HD reciever - however - My HD channels look better when not stretched or zoomed (except that 480 SD content, like local news) so If I stretch or zoom, or fill, or overscan, Im going to be switching back everytime I change to HD.

uhg.

that flickering is there on every tv but most tv overscan the orginal image covering it up. use the overscan option ont he tv and its fix it. it seems like its zoomed but thats actually how most sets are pre set and people dont notice. i personnaly like having the full image visable it make dvds look amazing.
post #28 of 29 Old 06-10-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayaa3 View Post

uhg.

no it is not...I have owned 4 HDtv's...2 Mitsubishi's which I still have ...a Panasonic and a Sony...none displayed the white flickering you have described...you should NOT have to over scan the tv to get rid of it...this is the tv...not the cable box...not close captioning....it's sad that this company is ignoring this problem....I don't think the price of the tv is an excuse for making a product that does this.
post #29 of 29 Old 11-02-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llabine1 View Post

no it is not...I have owned 4 HDtv's...2 Mitsubishi's which I still have ...a Panasonic and a Sony...none displayed the white flickering you have described...you should NOT have to over scan the tv to get rid of it...this is the tv...not the cable box...not close captioning....it's sad that this company is ignoring this problem....I don't think the price of the tv is an excuse for making a product that does this.

Obviously all of your TVs default to internal overscan on SD channels, which is fine. You are just losing a few pixels all the way around. They do this to avoid seeing the "garbage." However, many HDTVs don't do this because HD channels use the entire picture field for picture data. The only way to really tell is to have both sets tuned to the same channel and compare.

The closed captioning data has always been at the top of the picture. People have just been living with not seeing the entire picture since TV has been broadcast. The borders of the picture have been trimmed and out of sight by the horizontal and vertical cathode ray gun controls as well as the actual plastic viewport frame of your TV. If you still have an old cathode ray set you can see the CC data by shrinking the picture a little with the vertical scan knob.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page