best buy offers hdtv calibration: how does it rate (details inside) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 454 Old 09-19-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

George-I thought all plasmas look washed out with all white and mostly white/ bright screens? Mine gets quite washed out,but it's the low budget samsung maybe that's part of it.

most likely your entry level plasma lacks the dark screen filter of the higher-end models and this washes out the screen during the day or whenever light hits the screen directly such as from a lamp in front of the screen... without that dark screen technology, your plasma behaves like the typical CRT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 454 Old 09-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_BB6 View Post

Can anyone comment on the graphs that Jake provided? Is there anything bad that someone can point out?

I had a free calibration before and results look similar to jakes. Graphs/charts dont lie right?

Now keep in mind that after the unit was removed from my TV meaning the report was run then, the tech proceeded to make adjustments for some 40 minutes without any equipment but the remote and his eye! Thus he was adjusting items that were previously calibrated or as I was told, making fine tuning adjustments. When I said the picture lacked contrast and appeared dull with washed out colors he told me to just watch in the Vivid mode! I was in a business that did a lot of photo finishing. I attended 4 days of classes at Fuji and 2 days at kodak. I may not know about calibrating a TV but I do know colors and the effects of each on each other. So if I would have been given this report printed as the last thing he did I would feel better about the graph.
post #453 of 454 Old 09-21-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Graphs etc are only as good as the accuracy of the data they are based on. So if the meter (spectroradiometer, tristimulus whatever) is wrong the charts and graphs will lie.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #454 of 454 Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My set has developed some magenta and green discoloring in the white areas. it won't hold the colors as well as it did before,That's what was causing what I thought was washout....My plasma still washout bright screens its just it became more obvious with this problem.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page