LOST: Via Domus - Impressions and Review thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im picking this up today, since Im a big LOST fan. The lack of reviews is probably not a good thing, but previews seemed promising for fans of the show.

Ill give my full review tommorow after Ive had some time with it.

If anyone else gets it or hears about any site reviews, go ahead and post here.

Gamertag= Nexus976lives
PS3= Nexus976
Wii= Be serious, now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah, I'm waiting for reviews. Looks to be an old-school adventure type game. Graphics don't really impress me (but I don't care about graphics that much if gameplay is good). I wish they could have got all the actors to do the voiceovers, but I can deal with that. More concerned about gameplay and how the story is. I know it was penned by the show writers, so I'm hoping it feels like Lost...and not a quick "make a buck" game.

I love Lost, so I'm getting this someday regardless...whether it's this week at $60 or later at used prices is the question.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

...I wish they could have got all the actors to do the voiceovers, but I can deal with that. More concerned about gameplay and how the story is. I know it was penned by the show writers, so I'm hoping it feels like Lost...and not a quick "make a buck" game...

My thoughts exactly as far as voiceovers. I dont understand why they couldnt considering the long Writer's strike. Maybe it was too late in production. I just hope the actors sound relatively close.

Gamertag= Nexus976lives
PS3= Nexus976
Wii= Be serious, now....
post #4 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to reviews, the wife and I are hopeless LOST junkies. But I fear it will be a low-quality "novelty" game, like many TV/Movie based games are (I hope I am wrong).

I've got some stuff.
post #5 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I love Lost too, but these games almost 95% of the time turn out to be garbage. Theres always hope though.
post #6 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This site gives it a 9/10. http://wonderwallweb.com/article-298...Via-Domus.html

And this one gives it a 72%. http://www.atomicgamer.com/article.php?id=532

I am interested in this game. I can't wait to hear your impressions.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #7 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't wait for impressions. I'm sure fans of Lost will be a bit more forgiving with this title of course. Even if the gameplay and graphics are only mediocre, I will still play it for the story elements.

Hey, even bad LOST is better entertainment than a lot of stuff.
post #8 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 01:10 PM

4 pages of discussion/impressions at neogaf.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244328

Summary seems to be that, like 99% of all tv/movie adaptations, this game falls well below par. As a huge lost fan I will be renting the game for a weekend just so I can see some of the island.
post #9 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcnamee View Post

4 pages of discussion/impressions at neogaf.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244328

Summary seems to be that, like 99% of all tv/movie adaptations, this game falls well below par. As a huge lost fan I will be renting the game for a weekend just so I can see some of the island.

I don't think I'd bother with that discussion. I just read it and it looks to be about 4 people that have played it (three of which said it's ok but not great, and a GameStop employee that said it sucked), and about a hundred people saying "Duh! It's a game based on a TV show! Of course it sucks." having not actually seen the game. It did provide a link to an actual hands-on review from a user, though: http://www.britishgaming.co.uk/?p=220. He liked it, but with the caveat that it's only that redeemable if you're a fan of the series.

From the sounds of it it sounds like this is a decent game for fans of the show and a mediocre to decent game for fans of adventure games.
post #10 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

interesting so far. fan of the show an wanted to see some of the extra places. only problem I have is not being a free roaming game. Other than that, decent gameplay, story by a LOST writer and good puzzles.

If you're a fan, rent it and enjoy.
Ach whore, rent it and get your easy points.
casual and not a fan, I wouldnt bother.

Cichlids are my HD
Technology is my hobby
PSN/LIVE: LaCoMBo78
post #11 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

My GF and myself are big fans of LOST, I'll probably give it a rent and see how much I can get through and see how much "easter egg" info they include that adds to the story of the TV show. Anybody know if this season of LOST will be more than just the 8 shows since the writer's strike is over? Or is it too late?

XBL: dibs ODDJOB
Wiii: Fibonacci-sequence-like numbers
post #12 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
here's another review:

http://www.docarzt.com/lost-news/doc...-domus-for.php

I'm on the fence so far, might grab it for PC cause it's so much cheaper.

Joe
post #13 of 29 Old 02-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7evan View Post

Anybody know if this season of LOST will be more than just the 8 shows since the writer's strike is over? Or is it too late?

I believe the plan is to air seven out of the eight that were completed, followed by a six week gap, then #8, then five new ones. (apparently the eighth episode ends at an awkward place that wouldn't be good to precede a gap)

So that's 13 episodes total instead of 16. They are apparently going to compress the originally planned story into fewer episodes (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!).

As far as the game goes, I'd like to get a better idea of how much gameplay there is. It's hard to see spending $60 if it ends up being a four hour experience.
post #14 of 29 Old 02-28-2008, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

DISCLAIMER: I am a LOST fan. Ive watched every episode and am pretty wrapped up in its "mythology". Right off the bat I will tell you, if you do not like LOST, have never watched or seen very little of LOST or have no idea about the story arc, dont bother with this game.

I got to play thru at least two "episodes" last night (with my wife, also a LOST fan who never watches me play a video game!)-

GRAPHICS - 9.0 - They did an amazing job with the island. This is definitely a very good looking game. Everything is where it should be and will be immediately recognizable. The jungles "feel" lush and react to you stepping thru leaves and brush. There is a sense of heat and atmosphere. The characters range from looking very close to themselves (Kate,Jack, Ben, Locke, Sun and Jin) to looking like video game plastic versions (Hurley, Michael, Sawyer, Sayid and Claire). The animations on your character are very good. The lighting is also pretty perfect. Oh and the Black Smoke Monster is.....perfect. Definitely a win in this column.

STORYLINE - 8.0 - You're a photojournalist with amnesia and you start off on Oceanic 815, which is pretty cool in itself. Your job is to piece together your past thru interactive flashbacks. Then its to find out what is going on in the island and how to get off. Although, chances are you probably wont find out whats going on and you wont get off the island. Just a guess. The interactions are accomplished thru relatively simple conversation trees. No real surprises. You can ask specific Quest related questions or random "Getting to know you" type questions (Why were you on 815?). The characters actlike themselves which is nice. For LOST fans, it is awesome to feel like part of the storyline and little bits of detail will be very cool and noticeable only to those that really pay attention to the show. As solid as a storyline based on an ongoing continuosly evolving story can be.

GAMEPLAY - 7.5 - I guess this is the games weakest point. This game was not meant for a "hardcore" base, so its reflected in its controls. Fairly simple, walk, run jump, use. You can switch to a stationary first person view at any time which is wonderful for exploring the island and its surrounding. The money system is based on bartering so one coconut = $2, one water bottle = $5. You'll need to find stuff like that to get items from people like hard-assed Sawyer who charges $50 bucks for a friggin' oil lantern. Pretty funny. There are also puzzles which are, at least as far as I got, moderatley challenging and enjoyable. My wife aced those for me since I pretty much suck at puzzles. Navigating your way thru the jungle is interesting too although lacks variety. Nothing too memorable gameplay-wise.

SOUND - 9.5 - Incredible - They got the music and the sounds down very well. It adds so much to the game. Hearing the Black Smoke Monster for the first time circling around my surround sound was a goose bump moment for both me and my wife. The voices that are not the actual actors (which are the majority) are just ok, but was not as much of a distraction as I thought. I got used to it. I was thrilled to hear Ben was actually Ben. If it isnt, it may as well be.

REPLAYABILITY AND ONLINE COMPONENT - Probably pretty low and no online component - What would you play? Team Deathmatch? Claire vs. Charlie?... Although... Survivors vs Others may have been a missed opportunity

OVERALL - 8.5 - Very Good - Rent for casual and leisure LOST viewers\\Purchase for hardcore fans\\ Forget about it for pretty much anyone else- I guess I was expecting the game to be more of a letdown since I hadnt heard much about it. I am pleasantly surprised at the quality and execution of the game. It definitely feels like episodes of LOST (Missions are actually broken down into episodes that begin and end the same way all the episodes do... Awesome!). I also definitely "feel" like I am on the island although my connection to the new character is not too strong. Maybe that'll change or maybe it wont. It probably wont have much replay value once you're done, so keep that in mind. Like I said, my wife never watches me play a video game, but she sat with me thru two hours of it... and wants to watch me again when I play tonight! Kudos to the development team for actually putting some heart into it and satisfying at least two fans with a decent TV show based game.

Gamertag= Nexus976lives
PS3= Nexus976
Wii= Be serious, now....
post #15 of 29 Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the review. I think I might pick this up, but I'll wait until next month (going on vacation for a couple weeks and still have my second playthrough of Mass Effect to finish).

Can you provide and example of the puzzles (without spoilers)? Are they things like "move this crate over a button" type puzzles or are they more like "Use these two items together to open a hatch" type things? What I mean is, do the puzzles make sense for a scenario where you're stranded on a tropical island and do they fit in with the story/gameplay?

Also, can you check back in with an estimate of how many hours of play it is?
post #16 of 29 Old 02-28-2008, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Can you provide and example of the puzzles (without spoilers)? Are they things like "move this crate over a button" type puzzles or are they more like "Use these two items together to open a hatch" type things? What I mean is, do the puzzles make sense for a scenario where you're stranded on a tropical island and do they fit in with the story/gameplay?

Also, can you check back in with an estimate of how many hours of play it is?

The puzzles Ive run into so far do make sense in a way. They have been "fuse" puzzles. You have to configure an electrical fuse box to the correct voltage to make something work. Your only guide is a weathered sheet of instruction paper. Done well and it makes as much sense as it can. Hopefully I dont run into this too many mroe times otherwise it will get old.

Ill definitely check in once Im done. So far, two episodes has taken about 1 hour and 45 minutes...

Gamertag= Nexus976lives
PS3= Nexus976
Wii= Be serious, now....
post #17 of 29 Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 PM

Liked: 12
I ended up getting this for the 360 instead of the ps3. I think the only difference between the two is:
-xbox 1080p max vs ps3 720p max
-xbox loading times vs ps3 3GB install

So far I love the game. I'm a huge Lost fan and this game is just what I need in between Thursdays. I'm only on episode 2, but after I finish the game I'll post my review.

To oo7evan:
I heard that the rest of the season will finish up in May. The Lost drought will be about a month.

Xbox Live GT: xxx COKE UP xxx
post #18 of 29 Old 02-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygon View Post

I heard that the rest of the season will finish up in May. The Lost drought will be about a month.

Closer to six weeks:
http://www.approachinglost.com/2008/...-and-new-time/

But yeah, that does work out to the season ending the last week of May.

Certainly better than having to wait until next January or something though!
post #19 of 29 Old 02-29-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Replicant Nexus6 - thanks for the detailed review.

I might pick it up. At least my wife and I will both enjoy it since we are both fans of the show. So far, the only other game she likes is Rock Band. She loves playing the drums.

post #20 of 29 Old 02-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Another review to ponder over.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/855/855795p1.html

5 hour play through is not worth $60

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #21 of 29 Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM

Interested in the game, but plan on it being a rental.

-Dave
-There are Ten Thunders in the Wake: The Seventh Thunder is Tribal Man again. --Triumph 1984
-My HT Blog (archived) and Photo Gallery
post #22 of 29 Old 02-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I wonder if the game gives away the ending of the show?
post #23 of 29 Old 02-29-2008, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmstyle View Post

5 hour play through is not worth $60

Ouch...guess that's a rental. I'm going to pick up Bully: Scholarship Edition instead. It looks fun.
post #24 of 29 Old 03-01-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I've played for 4 hours and I'm halfway through the game. So my guess is that's going to be an 8-10 hours game for me.
post #25 of 29 Old 03-03-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Anyone playing this? The video I downloaded really turned me off. The graphics just didn't look that good and the voice acting seemed bad.

post #26 of 29 Old 03-03-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 73
My wife is playing the PC version and all I can say is I'll play it when its $20. It does not look BAD, but it also does not have much actual "gameplay".

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #27 of 29 Old 03-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Liked: 14
I'm on the same boat. I'm a huge lost fan, and I have to buy this game just for the novelty. I also think it's cool that you can go to all of the locations on the island - so I'll probably just use that aspect of the game to get out the enjoyment factor.

Hey, if you all want to read a good lost theory, check out the new site that I created a few weeks ago - www.timelooptheory.com
post #28 of 29 Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

As soon as I read that you use coconuts as currency I lost all interest. I don't want to play Gilligan's Island Adventures, thankyouverymuch.
post #29 of 29 Old 03-09-2008, 05:27 PM

I played this game this weekend. The story was pretty good, the graphics were decent (Hugo is a bit scary). And it was a pretty easy 1000 in about 6 hours. As a Lost fan, I enjoyed it. But it is a rental, IMO. I had a free coupon from BB for this game, so it was completely worth that.

-Dave
-There are Ten Thunders in the Wake: The Seventh Thunder is Tribal Man again. --Triumph 1984
-My HT Blog (archived) and Photo Gallery
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page