Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

lol, and Atari 2600 games look just as good as 360 and PS3 games, right

I'd love to see who these people are.

This topic nees more staw

Probably the ones who don't realize they are using composite cable in the PS3's?

Point is this is the subject that has came up when both HD and BR movies came out. Don't recall ever hearing this about vhs vs DVD movie comparisions. It was very clear of the difference.

The 5.0 is here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 129 Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Probably the ones who don't realize they are using composite cable in the PS3's?

Point is this is the subject that has came up when both HD and BR movies came out. Don't recall ever hearing this about vhs vs DVD movie comparisions. It was very clear of the difference.

VHS to DVD was more the convenience difference for me and most people I know. PQ from DVD to Blu-ray is much more than the VHS to DVD PQ difference. That and going to surround sound being a big selling point for some.

Of course, I don't actually know anybody personally that hasn't ever noticed the difference but I'm sure there are some out there. Like I said, I'd love to see the people they polled and the conditions used. If they were indeed using composite cables that's a pretty tainted result right off the back.
post #123 of 129 Old 04-24-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

VHS to DVD was more the convenience difference for me and most people I know. PQ from DVD to Blu-ray is much more than the VHS to DVD PQ difference. That and going to surround sound being a big selling point for some.

Of course, I don't actually know anybody personally that hasn't ever noticed the difference but I'm sure there are some out there. Like I said, I'd love to see the people they polled and the conditions used. If they were indeed using composite cables that's a pretty tainted result right off the back.

I agree. Although almost everyone seems to think that the difference between standard DVD and blu-ray is relatively subtle, I actually think it's much more dramatic than the difference between VHS and DVD. Early DVDs especially didn't look THAT much better than VHS. The real appeal was in the random access, durability, price, special features, menus, higher probability of OAR, etc.

There was also excitement around the idea of a DVD "collection" that would display your movie tastes to guests the same way that your CD or book collection could. If you were going for a highbrow look you'd get foreign movies and criterion, frat house style was Old School, American Pie, etc. The price of non-kid movie VHS was so incredibly high that tape collections were usually just Disney cartoons and maybe Star Wars.

Over the years better mastering techniques and quality control have significantly improved DVD picture quality, but bluray (or hd dvd) looks way way better.
post #124 of 129 Old 04-24-2008, 05:11 PM

I completely agree. When viewing HD content on my TV I can see a definite sharpness and increase of detail over DVDs. A DVD that's well mastered can look great on an HDTV, but there are plenty that look like absolute crap.
post #125 of 129 Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

I also agree! Assuming that a person has a decent hd tv, there will be a significant difference when viewing hd materials. There are, of course, a few bad blu-rays such as the first 5th Element blu-ray--but look at the second release! People may want to believe that upconverted standard dvds are almost hd, but despite the improvements an upconverted dvd offers, it will still fall short of well mastered hd materials. (Just read a few reviews, so that you won't be buying House of Flying Daggers and then claiming that that the standard dvd is just as good. In that case it probably is--on video! But if you look at the rankings of blu-rays, it is in the coal category. However, because I love that movie, I own it anyway for the improved audio!)
post #126 of 129 Old 04-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
You guys are missing the point, with respect to BR and the 360 vs. PS3 issue.

Sure BR gives improved picture quality. But remember half of people with HDTVs don't even splurge the extra $10 a month to get the HD channels. They're watching old $10 DVDs and Blockbuster rentals (where they have what, two or three sets of shelves for BR vs 100+ for DVD) on $50 DVD players and are pretty happy. They're not going to be buying $400 PS3s to watch movies with. They'll make the switch when BR players are <$100, you can buy movies for $10, and Blockbuster is full of 'em. That's a ways off.

Some people who are shopping for a console may pick the PS3 just because of BR, but a lot will pick 360 due to price/games/Live/etc. But PS3 as high priced movie machine is not going to be a factor in the next year or two.

jeff
post #127 of 129 Old 04-25-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, first off the new PS3 ads will probably start mentioning how only Blu-Ray had the space to let GTAIV be the game it COULD be. Lowly DVD-based machines like the 360 will have pale shadows of future games like GTAV, if it bothers to come out on such a poor platform, blah, blah, blah. The extra room will come back to haunt Microsoft.

Secondly, HD makes good film look good, but grainy film is still grainy. Low-bandwidth cable HD looks very nice on my 38" tube, and HD-DVD looks nice too. What makes HDTV SHINE is HD cameras. That's why even Discovery HD commercials look a lot better than a movie on HBO-HD. I still can't go to whatever supplier of HD-DVDs is left and pay a lot for a HD version of some movie without looking at how much the DVD version costs: the extra value for film just isn't there.

So if the Xbox 720 doesn't come with Blu-Ray, it'd better come with a $29.95 pricetag so people don't feel shortchanged...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #128 of 129 Old 04-25-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post

It could be that mastermaybe is just a little insecure about his PS3? For somebody who doesn't care or could care less he seems to be very opinionated.

this was a good one. A little insecure? You must be insane.

You're right, I am opinionated....but there is no connection between that and whether or not I CARE about what "happens" to the 360. I may be very "opinionated " that I think the Red Soc are goin to win the A.L. east...does that mean I care (no, as I could care less).?

They (sony) could stop making games for it tomorrow and I'd still be pleased as punch that I got a phenomenal blu-ray player for $400.

Insecure? astounding.

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #129 of 129 Old 04-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This thread is serving no purpose.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."