Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
From http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2212165/blu-ray-xbox

Sad really, I was hoping for the add-on. This is going to make me seriously consider a PS3 as a Blu-Ray drive. I want a next gen DVD format (apart from the sadly defunct HD-DVD add-on I have), and the PS3 is probably the best choice I have. I know that If I get it, I'd probably buy some games that could have been purchased for the Xbox.
Poor decision making on MS part in MHO.

I can only hope that this is an unconfirmed story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It sounds like you have the 360 so why not look at stand alone BD players.. The pricing is begining to come down where the PS3 is standing strong..

200 +++ BD discs and counting...still enjoying 60+ HD-DVD's too!!
post #3 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 06:19 AM

Stand alone is better anyways. Microsoft would be better off getting Samsung or something to make one that has the 360 name on it. I'd rather not run a power hungry console just to watch a movie, be it the PS3 or the 360.

I refuse to get a PS3 because there are zero games for it I want, and its rather ugly.
post #4 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 06:30 AM

it'll all come down soon anyways
post #5 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 06:39 AM

I knew it. It didnt make sense why add a blu ray drive that would take money away from XBL. I personally think its a great idea to keep going with digital downloads and get a contract with Sony to play Sony movies on XBL.What MS needs to do is add is the ability to buy movies,try to get the studios to allow atleast a 36 hr window for viewing movies. I am glad they didn't do it
post #6 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen70 View Post

I knew it. It didnt make sense why add a blu ray drive that would take money away from XBL. I personally think its a great idea to keep going with digital downloads and get a contract with Sony to play Sony movies on XBL.What MS needs to do is add is the ability to buy movies,try to get the studios to allow atleast a 36 hr window for viewing movies. I am glad they didn't do it

Me too, this will help propel the PS3 ahead of the Xbox360 over the next year or 2. People aren't ready for the digital download thing, if they buy movies they want to have them on disc. Plus this puts the millions of netflix and blockbuster subscribers in the PS3 camp. Game on. Mark my words...2 years from now there will be more PS3s out there than Xbox360s.
post #7 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 AM

I'm not going to download any movies until they offer a flat rate. Netflix is too good of a deal to pass up.
post #8 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 AM

I find it odd that people that already have an xbox360 bitching that MS does not have a BD addon. If you want BD player go out and buy a standelone unit. By the end of the year standelone players will be as cheap or cheaper then any add-on MS will offer. At that point it make zero sense to choose an add-on which would not have as much functionality as the standalone player.

I haven't jumped into BD yet but when I do I will be looking at standalone players. I'm waiting to see what OPPO will have to offer with their BD player later this year.

I would not buy a PS3 just because it can play BD. I already have an xbox and do not need another gaming console.

I would rather see MS focus on Marketplace and movie rentals then an add-on player that will end up being more expensive with less functionality then standalone players by this time next year.
post #9 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJVejita1 View Post

Me too, this will help propel the PS3 ahead of the Xbox360 over the next year or 2. People aren't ready for the digital download thing, if they buy movies they want to have them on disc. Plus this puts the millions of netflix and blockbuster subscribers in the PS3 camp. Game on. Mark my words...2 years from now there will be more PS3s out there than Xbox360s.

Don't be so quick to annoint PS3 king just yet. Some of you forgot one thing MS has Netflix CEO on their board. Netflix might just let XBL get a 6 month headstart that will mean that only the Netflix box and XBL will be able to use all of the 90,000 netflix movies
post #10 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuss View Post

Sad really, I was hoping for the add-on. This is going to make me seriously consider a PS3 as a Blu-Ray drive. I want a next gen DVD format (apart from the sadly defunct HD-DVD add-on I have), and the PS3 is probably the best choice I have. I know that If I get it, I'd probably buy some games that could have been purchased for the Xbox.
Poor decision making on MS part in MHO. I can only hope that this is an unconfirmed story.

I agree Yuss. It's a huge mistake not to make a BD AO. Huge.

Like I said before, one would think MS would rather have a BD AO next to our 360's rather then a PS3. Guess not?

Digital downloads? Maybe. The per movie price would have to plumment and the film library needs to increase exponentially.

post #11 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Right now the PS3 is the best Stand Alone player out there......its upgradable. Tell that to all the folks who paid top dollar for BD standalones that wont work with the 2.0 specs.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #12 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't bother me much. I am just waiting for the PS3 MGS4 bundle with Dual Shock 3 to come out in a few months. Then I will be handing out ownings on both the 360 and PS3.

PSN: JAY-NUCLEAR
post #13 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergoguy34 View Post

It sounds like you have the 360 so why not look at stand alone BD players.. The pricing is begining to come down where the PS3 is standing strong..

Actually, since HD-DVD left the building, the pricing is beginning to go up.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #14 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't write off a BD add on for the 360 just yet. Standard operating procedure is to deny deny deny, "it will be in stores tomorrow."

I'm not saying that it is coming or not, but you can't trust a suit to tell you the truth.

post #15 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen70 View Post

Don't be so quick to annoint PS3 king just yet. Some of you forgot one thing MS has Netflix CEO on their board. Netflix might just let XBL get a 6 month headstart that will mean that only the Netflix box and XBL will be able to use all of the 90,000 netflix movies

This makes no sense. Netflix already rents Blu-ray, which gives a boost to PS3 sales. 6 month headstart on movie downloads is garbage...they'll never allow unlimited downloads of HD content for a set price, at least not for another few years. Plus people who are open to movie downloads already realize there's no reason to pay for it. You can do it for free on your own.
post #16 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:

This makes no sense. Netflix already rents Blu-ray, which gives a boost to PS3 sales. 6 month headstart on movie downloads is garbage...they'll never allow unlimited downloads of HD content for a set price, at least not for another few years. Plus people who are open to movie downloads already realize there's no reason to pay for it. You can do it for free on your own.

I personally download HD movies for free on my ps3. The only problems is it takes forever for me to do all the file conversions, and transfering to the hard drive and all. If MS charged like $10 a month for HD movie downloads, I'd do it in a heartbeat. As it is, I already purchase quite a few HD movies from xbox live.

Itunes is pretty successful even though you can DL music for free.

Xbox Live: LoftyStream
PSN: LoftyStream
post #17 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuss View Post

Poor decision making on MS part in MHO.

I can only hope that this is an unconfirmed story.

I can understand the disappointment, but consider this:

The PS3 (all fanboy accusations aside) was designed initially to Trojan BR into people's living rooms. MS decided to offer a limp-wristed effort in an HD add-on, but if you said there was a huge effort to bring this into people's faces I would respectfully disagree.

The thing is, the 360 is a game machine, with options for downloads if you would want them. The games are always and will be the focus. Think about the fact also that to rush to offer a BR add-on in many ways justifies Sony's marketing and system design, which I would suspect MS isn't in a big hurry to do.

Quote:

Me too, this will help propel the PS3 ahead of the Xbox360 over the next year or 2.

People in the know understand that the PS3 is a leading BR machine but have reservations about it as a gaming machine. That's reality. I think any "victory" proclaimed this generation will always be viewed in that context. Frankly, I don't think Sony cares about the context of the win to be honest, as long as it happens.

Quote:

Mark my words...2 years from now there will be more PS3s out there than Xbox360s.

Because today BR is the format. MS cannot ever be connected to long-term failure, and I think they have quite a few ideas up their sleeve.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #18 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivas View Post

I personally download HD movies for free on my ps3. The only problems is it takes forever for me to do all the file conversions, and transfering to the hard drive and all. If MS charged like $10 a month for HD movie downloads, I'd do it in a heartbeat. As it is, I already purchase quite a few HD movies from xbox live.

Itunes is pretty successful even though you can DL music for free.

Once .mkv support is out there will be no reason to do any file conversions. If you think M$ can offer unlimited HD movie downloads for $10 a month I have some beachfront property in Alabama you might be interested in...
post #19 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Once .mkv support is out there will be no reason to do any file conversions. If you think M$ can offer unlimited HD movie downloads for $10 a month I have some beachfront property in Alabama you might be interested in...

MKV support is never coming. It has no industry support. Hell, it is a pain to even get it working on a PC.

post #20 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

MKV support is never coming. It has no industry support. Hell, it is a pain to even get it working on a PC.

Works fine on my computer. If they don't its a shame...I can't figure out why people don't encode HD files in dvix online. I guess H.264 is a little bit better compression but dvix is so much more widely used and accepted. Maybe more will be available in time.
post #21 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 09:26 AM

Dumbest. Marketing. Decision. Ever.

I will want a Bluray player within the next year. Unless I'm guaranteed a standalone that has the capabilities to upgrade to any future spec change in Bluray as the PS3 is - I won't buy a standalone. So I'll likely be buying a PS3...something I wouldn't buy if MS had support for Bluray in the 360.
post #22 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

The 360 game library and price keep it above the PS3, they really dont need an add on.
post #23 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Why is owning a ps3 a bad thing? It is a nice blu ray player and I even play a few games on it. The world will not come to an end if you buy a ps3.
post #24 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am sure I will purchase a PS3 if they drop the price a bit more for Blu Ray....Even if they release an add on for the 360 it will most likely have crippled audio like the HD DVD add on did.

Other areas of interest

http://my.T-Nation.com/scotty144

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #25 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post

The 360 game library and price keep it above the PS3, they really dont need an add on.

All the people who care about a gigantic library of games already have a next generation system. You geeks don't realize that you all already have systems. The PS3 has plenty of games for a normal gamer with a job, a girlfriend, other hobbies, and rl friends to spend time with. Add to that the blu-ray player and the PS3 is going to outsell the Xbox360 every month this year. Bet the house one it.

Plus the everyday gamer doesn't want to be mailing his system back to M$ twice a year.
post #26 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

All the people who care about a gigantic library of games already have a next generation system. You geeks don't realize that you all already have systems. The PS3 has plenty of games for a normal gamer with a job, a girlfriend, other hobbies, and rl friends to spend time with. Add to that the blu-ray player and the PS3 is going to outsell the Xbox360 every month this year. Bet the house one it.

Plus the everyday gamer doesn't want to be mailing his system back to M$ twice a year.

I am a everyday gamer. I have 2 360's one of them a Dec 05 build that has yet to have a problem.

Quote:

blu-ray player and the PS3 is going to outsell the Xbox360 every month this year. Bet the house one it

So your hear to claim that both the standalone and PS3 will outsell the 360 every month this year?

The 5.0 is here
post #27 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Fanboy much?
post #28 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:

I really dont get the Bluray angle as far as propelling the PS3 the next few years? I mean what are people going to do carry the PS3 from room to room depending on who wants to watch a movie? You really think little Timmy is going to stop playing Ratchet and Clank so mom and dad can watch a movie?

2 years from now we will start hearing about Xbox3. I also think your downplaying downloads bigtime. 2 years from now is an eternity as far A/V tech goes. Blu Ray may never become mainstream IMO. Definitely not at the current price points.
post #29 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

I am a everyday gamer. I have 2 360's one of them a Dec 05 build that has yet to have a problem.

So your hear to claim that both the standalone and PS3 will outsell the 360 every month this year?

Everyday gamers don't post 3500 times on A/V forums. Sorry, you don't qualify.

PS3 has already outsold in Jan and Feb...just watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211 View Post

I really dont get the Bluray angle as far as propelling the PS3 the next few years? I mean what are people going to do carry the PS3 from room to room depending on who wants to watch a movie? You really think little Timmy is going to stop playing Ratchet and Clank so mom and dad can watch a movie?

2 years from now we will start hearing about Xbox3. I also think your downplaying downloads bigtime. 2 years from now is an eternity as far A/V tech goes. Blu Ray may never become mainstream IMO. Definitely not at the current price points.

People like to own a physical copy. Downloads are too easy to get free. Face the facts, blu-ray is it.
post #30 of 129 Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:

PS3 has already outsold in Jan and Feb...just watch.

The only reason that happened is the xbox pros and elites sold out in December. Stores over the last few weeks have just been getting replenishments. Last week the Best Buy by my house got 2 pallets of pros in and half are gone when I was their today. So yes I would imagine the PS3 sold more in Jan and Feb by a good amount. That is easy when the xbox was out of stock.
Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page