Viking: Battle for Asgard - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 146 Old 12-23-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
There are a lot, lot, lot of good $9.99 games on this list.

Unreal Tournament 3

The Hulk (which I believe is a next-gen clone of Hulk Ultimate Destruction)

Kane and Lynch

Viking

NFS: pro street (tho not my kind of racing game)

Jericho (if you like FPS's this one isn't bad, each teammate has unique powers and you switch between them..its a very good $9.99 game)

Timeshift

OH and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is finally under $20 bucks. Snagged.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 12-23-2008, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

There are a lot, lot, lot of good $9.99 games on this list.

Unreal Tournament 3

The Hulk (which I believe is a next-gen clone of Hulk Ultimate Destruction)

Kane and Lynch

Viking

NFS: pro street (tho not my kind of racing game)

Jericho (if you like FPS's this one isn't bad, each teammate has unique powers and you switch between them..its a very good $9.99 game)

Timeshift

OH and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is finally under $20 bucks. Snagged.

Are you serious about Kane and Lynch? That has to be the biggest joke of a game I have played in a long time. The first 15mins or so aren't bad, actually entertaining but some of the finer "requirements" like having to collect all the weapons from the trunk of the car before proceeding are just rediculous. By happen chance I didn't see the extra grenade in the trunk and it took my friend and I like 30mins to figure out how to advance to a new area.
post #123 of 146 Old 12-24-2008, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I liked Viking but it does get repetitive. I got to the end and couldn't finish it. Got frustrated and put it away. One of these days I will boot it up and give it another go.
post #124 of 146 Old 12-24-2008, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

For $10 bucks these are all decent games...at $60? No way...$20? Meh..a few...but at $9.99 they border on rental fees.

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #125 of 146 Old 01-03-2009, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Finished this game today. I liked it a lot, not sure how it can GS can justify a 5.0 for it. I mean it did feel like a budget title to me but a good budget title...so i guess I could see being a little annoyed if you payed $60.

Guy in the GS review said it was repetative but its really no more so then Assassins Creed and in fact, does a better job of providing the illusion that its not repetative unlike AC. The guy said the camera was bad. I had no trouble with it at all, seemed very intuitive unlike Star Wars Force Unleashed which seemed unplayable but somehow got a higher rating.

The graphics were very nice and had far less glitches in it then Mercenaries...though there was some pop in and some slow down in the bigger battles. (and they were big battles).

The mini-map was not too good. It was hard to tell how close or far you were from an object and whether it was above or below you and the main map wasnt helpful with that either....... of course I had this same issue with Fallout so thats not really a sign of a quality game.

The voice acting was well done IMHO. The music (when it was there) was nice. It seems like they forgot the mob portion of the soundtrack or maybe it was just very muted like the music.

Seriously, if they had broken the sound into dialouge, music, special effects all with their own volume setting and then balanced them better it would have helped with the experience. Throw in a little stat tracking and a few more enemy models and things to find in the wilderness (and maybe a sprint button) and you have yourself a quality title. Oh, I also want the button from fable that pulls the orbs to you so I can collect more and use my magic more .

Oh and the GS guy who reviewed it thought the story was confusing. I found it quite straight forward. Was it a masterpiece? Well no, but it was at least as good as Crackdown or Mercenaries... or even Assassins Creed (though I have hope that AC story will become more interesting in the sequels).
post #126 of 146 Old 01-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Good writeup on Viking...I would rather play Viking 10 more times than have to sit through one more agonizing play through of Assassins Creed. Viking sorely needed a sprint button though.
post #127 of 146 Old 01-04-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I agree, good write-up. I bought this game a while ago, but only started playing it last night, pretty much the same time I've started playing Star Wars: Force Unleashed.

I find Viking far more enjoyable. Yes, it's repetitive, but thankfully it doesn't have the glaring issues that SW:FU has in combat. Even if I don't play through Viking over the next couple of days, it has the potential of an easy to remember, pick-up anytime game that's not stressful.

Quick question for you Viking players...how do I use the red meter energy?

-JR
post #128 of 146 Old 01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

SW:FU is a great game. Does it have some flaws? Yes. Is it a great game in its own right? YES.

The biggest bitch people have with the game is that as you level up so do the stormtroopers....so its not a cakewalk. Well, imagine what the game would be like if the last 3-4 levels were cakewalks? RIGHT....those same reviewers would be complaining how your enemies are just cannon fodder and you get bored blowing through them. So the game really couldn't win.

The key is to play through it more than once...like DEAD RISING you keep your powers each time you play through, so the next time you start off you are a fairly powerful character...and even on my 2nd runthrough I haven't maxxed out my jedi powers yet.

Yes, the level design needs work..especially when you have to visit some levels over (levels that aren't tons of fun to begin with), but people ragging on this game are riding a bandwagon. Its fun, the same way PsiOps was fun and other games of its ilk..

post #129 of 146 Old 01-04-2009, 05:25 PM

Thanks for reminding me that I need to finish Viking. I enjoyed it quite a bit when I bought it a few months back but then I moved on to FC2 and forgot about it. Time for some hack n' slash.

XBL Gamertag: Shovelbum
PSN ID: Shovelbum
post #130 of 146 Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

I agree, good write-up. I bought this game a while ago, but only started playing it last night, pretty much the same time I've started playing Star Wars: Force Unleashed.

I find Viking far more enjoyable. Yes, it's repetitive, but thankfully it doesn't have the glaring issues that SW:FU has in combat. Even if I don't play through Viking over the next couple of days, it has the potential of an easy to remember, pick-up anytime game that's not stressful.

Quick question for you Viking players...how do I use the red meter energy?

-JR

I believe it was right trigger then X, Y, or B for ice, lightening, and fire.
post #131 of 146 Old 01-05-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

I believe it was right trigger then X, Y, or B for ice, lightening, and fire.

Yup, thanks, I found this out by accident last night. I haven't used it yet, but I'll give it a shot tonight. Last night I freaked myself out a bit when it seemed like I'd only been playing the game for roughly 2-3 hours and it looks like the map is almost spent in terms of exploration.

Is there more to the map than what I'm currently seeing? I'm currently
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
freeing the Monastery from the Legion. Looking on the map, it only appears that there is one more large area to take over and then the game is finished. I'm assuming there's a lot more?

Thanks,

-JR
post #132 of 146 Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
There's actually three rather large maps.
post #133 of 146 Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah that freaked me out too. I had heard there were only 3 islands and the first map looks like two islands together but its all considered one. There are two more big maps. You will be teleported to the next main island after you complete the main battle on this island so make sure you do all of your exploring before that mission.
post #134 of 146 Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys - that helps, I just opened the 2nd island last night without reading this before getting a chance to crawl all over the island. Bummer, but I know now to make sure I look in every nook and cranny of this one!

-JR
post #135 of 146 Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM

game is huge finished it a while back. Only thing I hated was the long runs.

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #136 of 146 Old 01-07-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

Thanks guys - that helps, I just opened the 2nd island last night without reading this before getting a chance to crawl all over the island. Bummer, but I know now to make sure I look in every nook and cranny of this one!

-JR

One thing I did find irritating is that they never really clarified the 'find the skulls' thing early on (if they ever did). Some achievements become impossible after you liberate the town, so some achievements can only be earned by another run-through, which is irritating. Otherwise loved the game except for one other spot I got frustrated at. Really enjoyed that game.
post #137 of 146 Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just picked this up with Bioshock with blockbuster's buy one get one free (16 bucks total).... Sounds like most of you on here like Viking so I thought I would give it a shot.

PSN/XBL: Gu1nnesS13
post #138 of 146 Old 01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

One thing I did find irritating is that they never really clarified the 'find the skulls' thing early on (if they ever did). Some achievements become impossible after you liberate the town, so some achievements can only be earned by another run-through, which is irritating.

Can you give me some non-spoiler direction on this? I have the game and haven't played it yet, but I would like to milk all the achievements out of it in a single play-through without using a walk-through. Know what I mean?
post #139 of 146 Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One thing I did find irritating is that they never really clarified the 'find the skulls' thing early on (if they ever did). Some achievements become impossible after you liberate the town, so some achievements can only be earned by another run-through, which is irritating. Otherwise loved the game except for one other spot I got frustrated at. Really enjoyed that game.

I agree, I'd no idea what the skulls even after I'd looked at the achievement list. I was kinda like "Oh, skulls? Do I find those, or are they part of quests?". Hours later I stumbled across one and didn't even see it (I simply saw the notification that I'd picked one up, since I was actually in a fight when it happened and didn't see the skull itself), so I had to go online to find a screenshot of what I should even be looking for.

Oh well, I guess I won't be hitting 1000 achievement points for this title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinn3sS View Post

I just picked this up with Bioshock with blockbuster's buy one get one free (16 bucks total).... Sounds like most of you on here like Viking so I thought I would give it a shot.

It's a fun game for what it is. For the first 10 minutes I was thinking to myself it might be Two Worlds with better graphics, but then it picked up and I really started to find it fun. It's nice that you're actually doing something within the first 20 minutes of the game.

Your only problem is you bought it with a Game that won a slew of awards, and is a solid AAA title. It'll be a bit tough to compare the two, but I'm currently switching between Dead Space, SF:FU, and Vikings and find myself spending more time on Vikings. Perhaps it's the faint Diablo mindlessness of it? I can't tell what it is, and I suppose I don't care because I'm enjoying it.

-JR
post #140 of 146 Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Only played it for about 30 minutes but not getting into it at all , boring game thus far (control feels a bit sloppy as well) . Seems like it has more than enough production value to be worth $10 so I'll give it some more time and see if it grows on me .

- Jason
post #141 of 146 Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

Can you give me some non-spoiler direction on this? I have the game and haven't played it yet, but I would like to milk all the achievements out of it in a single play-through without using a walk-through. Know what I mean?

Basically, there are these red skulls hidden on the mission map. If I remember correctly (and it's been quite a while), on every island's 'captured' town, there are a varying number (9 in one town, 6 in another and so forth). If you find all of them per island, you get an achievement as well as finding all of them in the game, iirc.

The catch is THIS: after you liberate the town with the big battle at the end of the game, the skulls DISAPPEAR. So you need to find the skulls while the towns are hostile enemy territory, and if you don't, you CAN'T get them afterward. That's frustrating primarily because I don't know that there is any in-game info about the skulls until you accidentally find one and get a notification on screen and say "Hey! What was that?"
post #142 of 146 Old 01-08-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep, collectables and stat tracking are two areas that could have used more polish.
post #143 of 146 Old 01-08-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Basically, there are these red skulls hidden on the mission map. If I remember correctly (and it's been quite a while), on every island's 'captured' town, there are a varying number (9 in one town, 6 in another and so forth). If you find all of them per island, you get an achievement as well as finding all of them in the game, iirc.

The catch is THIS: after you liberate the town with the big battle at the end of the game, the skulls DISAPPEAR. So you need to find the skulls while the towns are hostile enemy territory, and if you don't, you CAN'T get them afterward. That's frustrating primarily because I don't know that there is any in-game info about the skulls until you accidentally find one and get a notification on screen and say "Hey! What was that?"

I totally agree! Like you said, there is no in-game info about the skulls, and even more bizarre, they're not mentioned in the booklet. The only way you'd know they existed is by stumbling over them or searching online because you see an achievement related to "skulls".

I caved in last night and looked online for more info. I don't know how you'd find these skulls without using a map/tip/walkthrough. Not only are they small, but they're hard to see unless you're right on top of them. Trying to locate them while fighting is pretty silly.

They're such an odd addition to the game, since to the best of my knowledge, they have no purpose other than giving you and achievement.

Lord Flatus, there is no spoiler to the skulls - since they seem to do absolutely nothing and aren't tied into anything in the game.

-JR
post #144 of 146 Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I just finished the game last night, and enjoyed it all the way through. The end fight wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be (it wasn't easy, but it wasn't frustrating). I somehow received the "immortality" acheivement, does anyone know exactly what that refers to?

-JR
post #145 of 146 Old 01-15-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I wantyed to play this for a while now but didnt wanna shell out $60 after the mediocre reviews...for $10 its a no brainer

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #146 of 146 Old 01-21-2009, 02:45 AM

i have it right now from GameFly just waiting for my console to come back from repair
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page