Most Trusted Review Site? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wanted to do a poll, but I don't think I know enough of the good sites to list. So Which do you trust the most? I bounce back and forth between Gamespot and IGN. I have seen a lot of negativity about IGN though, and have been disagreeing with them a lot more recently myself. I just wanted to get some ideas of any sites I might be missing...

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
HA! Gamespot is the LEAST trusted review site on the net.

I like Gametrailers.com, IGN, and 1up.

PSN: JAY-NUCLEAR
post #3 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 09:35 AM

Liked: 93
Gamespot and IGN are both utter crap, as are pretty much any site that focuses on "reviews". I do find review aggregators such as GameRanking or Metacritic to be helpful in making a decision. Really, I get games and info from sources that I trust. For example, Gabe and Tycho over at Penny Arcade are talking about a game? Great, I'll check it out, as they are people that I trust. id or Level 5 are making a game? Great, I'll buy it, as these dev houses consistantly build excellent quality product.

I think you are asking the wrong question. Who cares about review sites, when paying attention to specific reviewers is far more valuable? Why should a care about some random guys opinion when I can instead listen to people that I know. The question should be "What people do you listen to when deciding on what game to buy?".

That goes for people here too. Shape or DaverJ say something is good, then there is a good chance I will check it out. Fargus777 says something is good? I don't know who that is.
post #4 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 09:56 AM

metacritic.com

its not the actual reviews but links and average score for/to reviews
post #5 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Who cares about review sites, when paying attention to specific reviewers is far more valuable?

Yes!

Even those of us who read review sites rarely pay attention to the name in the by-line. Know who you're reading!

There are only a few review sources I trust. They're sites that go out of their way to avoid undue publisher influence and try to stay as "independent" as possible.

I really like what 1up is about. Dan Hsu has done a fantastic job of keeping his writers free from publisher/PR/marketing influence. The recent switch over to the letter grade system is a great sign that he's trying to avoid being overly influenced by Metacritic averages.

Edge magazine is fantastic. It's got top-notch writers. Their scores are mostly not inflated. Their grading curve is basically from 5-10, and they can get a little too trigger-happy with the 10's. But I read the magazine mostly just because the writing is so good. Their web site (Next-Gen) is a bit pared down, though, so I prefer the print magazine.

Speaking of letter grade systems, I also like what Gamerevolution is about. It's a smaller, lesser known site that's been around for over a decade. They're also very independent minded and only review retail versions of games. Unlike most other sites, they don't review early review copies. Because they also use a letter grade system and are hard to impress, they're often at the bottom or near the bottom of the Metacritic scores.

There's a new site that just started that has some ties to some of the other big sites. In another attempt to stay free from Metacritic influence, they use three scores: buy it, try it, and fry it. Crispy Gamer just started up a couple of months ago, so it's hard to say how it will turn out. But so far so good.

But I also pay a lot of attention to non-review sites. I really like N'Gai Croal's Level-Up blog. If he's talking about a certain game, I'm pretty sure I need to check it out. More often than not, I end up really liking the games that he thinks are worth a look.

The other non-review site I trust is Gamasutra. It's run by Game Developer magazine. So the games they talk about tend to be smart, interesting, and trend-setting in the development world. They also have the best game-related features in the industry. Great stuff.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #6 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Oye I think 1up is the worst site but maybe its because I see them as being overly in love with Nintendo (not that theres anything wrong with that, just not to my taste). I find Gamespot is pretty average and the user reviews are easy to see so I do like that site.

Going to any single review site is probably not a good idea because you may get a reviewer who doesnt like a particulary genra or is sick of a particular gametype who happened to be assigned to review the game your looking at. In that case you may get a lower then deserved score. On the other hand you may get a guy who adores a particular franchise reviewing a game and then get a higher then deserved score. Best bet is to look at a great number of websites and the users reviews, see a description of the game and decide for yourself if you want to take the risk or not.

As for sites not yet listed here.
G4 (X-play) reviews are amusing and generally I agree with them.

I would tend to lean away from sites whos reviews tend to be "controversial" as they are often looking for attention and thus will rate low or high just go get hits. Also PLAY magazine tends to rate everything a little higher then everyplace else.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 11:11 AM

PLAY is a graphical layout masterpiece, and their wordsmiths are even somewhat talented, but they hand out 9s and 10s like candy.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When I go to IGN and Gamespot, I usually skim their main review, but I like looking at the reader averages. They usually have a good sense of whats going on. I guess I frequent those sites b/c it seems the user ratings have a lot of scores to average out usually since the sites are pretty popular. Then again, I get pissed off when somebody throws in their rating when they haven't even played the game and its just on hype. Thanks for the comments, I'll check out all the ones listed in this thread and add them to my bookmarks.

post #9 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 03:10 PM

IGN for me

Northern Illinois University 2010
post #10 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminence55 View Post

metacritic.com

its not the actual reviews but links and average score for/to reviews

I also just go to metacritic and get a sampling of what reviewers are saying. Nowadays there's no one "go to" site I trust and instead liike to get a general idea on what reviewers are saying and make up my own mind by going with trial/demo when available, or a rental for the fringe games I'm not sure of.

XBL : lowgn
post #11 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

MetaCritic and IGN.com

Sony XBR960n - nice to rods, mean to cones.
post #12 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 05:57 PM

I'm an IGN guy myself. Gamespot just keeps getting worse and worse IMHO. They're all over the board with reviews. IGN is cool with the gear section and comic book section (yes nerd) too
post #13 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I tend to stay away from any and all User Reviews. Most of them are heavily swayed by bias, and quite frankly don't know how to properly review a game.

I check out IGN, 1up, Gamespot (yes, still).

Oh, and here's the kicker: I don't look at scores, but actually read the review. Numbers are meaningless. No number in the world says "Plays like trash, is no fun, but has superb graphics and sound", or conversely "Has the worst graphics ever, terrible sound, but is a lot of fun".

Dasetup
post #14 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 07:52 PM

I usually agree with the reviews on IGN.
post #15 of 31 Old 03-22-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

IGN and Gamespot too. I know about the debacle at Gamespot recently, but I still find their reviews thorough. I always like Game Revolution, too, because they're a bunch of smartasses who really tear into bad games. They remind me of Statler and Waldorf from the old Muppet Show.
post #16 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 08:35 AM

metacritic.com

That way you can see EVERYONE'S review in one place.

Nothing is real
post #17 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 AM

I just read this forum, the xbox forums, and a couple of others to see if the majority of the people say something good about a game I'm interested in. If the majority say it's crap, then I tend to stay away from the game. If it's about 50/50, I'll rent. If it's mostly positive, I'll probably buy.
post #18 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 10:31 AM

Step 1: Gamerankings.com (1 review is just one persons opinion, I prefer taking the average of all opinions)
Step 2: Gametrailers.com (I like video reviews, gives you a good idea of how the game plays)
Step 3: Buy, Rent or Pass.
post #19 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Out of curiosity, those of you who use metacritic and game rankings, do you just look at the average scores for a game or do you bother reading the individual review comments and scores?

I think that's what bothers me about metacritic and game rankings. It too strongly favors 100-point scoring. It gives a skewed sense of a game's goodness with so many sites using different scales, different curves, and different scoring attitudes.

post #20 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 11:57 AM

I am a big fan of gametrailers. I used to be an ign member and watch the hd video reviews but I now find IGN useless. I find gametrailers to be fairly unbiased and I like seeing how the game plays. They are usually up to date as well.
post #21 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
gametrailers all the way. I mean you actuly get to see them play the game as they tell you about it. Also they seem to be brutally honest in thier opion
post #22 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 PM

"It gives a skewed sense of a game's goodness"

It's skewed the same for every game though.
post #23 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Its interesting you brought this up...

I'm actually working on a website that I'm hoping will help answer this issue as well as provide a unique platform/experience for gamers. I was planning on inviting you fellow AVSers for the BETA version. Its still two months or so away but I'm excited!

XBL: II Masters II

(those are ii's)
post #24 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"It gives a skewed sense of a game's goodness"

It's skewed the same for every game though.

Not quite. But that's the sense that sites like metacritic want you to have, but it's not true.

For example, for "Killer Game X," site G gives it a "9" (equal to a 90 on metacritic) and site F gives it a "C" (equal to a 50 on metacritic), that would average out to a 75. Then, on "Super Killer Game Z," site G gives it a "7" (equal to a 70 on metacritic) and site F gives it an "A" (equal to a 92 on metacritic), that averages out to an 81.

Since a 1-10 scoring site usually grades on a 5-10 curve, that "7" is roughly equivalent to the letter grading site's "C." And vice versa. Theoretically, the two games should have the same metacritic average, but because of their weird scoring system, that's not the case. One game gets a "75" and the other an "81." Now, you might say that's just a difference of 6 points, but the translation in sales and in marketing power between a 75 and an 81 is huge. Not to mention that we gamers would think there's an important difference between a game rating in the 70s and one in the 80s.

Factor in the fact that both game rankings and metacritic do weighted averages, giving more statistical weight to some sites more than others, and you end up with some very "skewed" scores that don't really compare consistently with one another.

post #25 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 02:41 PM

1. metacritic. gives an "across the board" view of others' view
2. gametrailers. video reviews
3. kotaku. they have a pirate on board!

http://kotaku.com/370995/fake-brian-...ews-smash-bros
post #26 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterrh View Post

Its interesting you brought this up...

I'm actually working on a website that I'm hoping will help answer this issue as well as provide a unique platform/experience for gamers. I was planning on inviting you fellow AVSers for the BETA version. Its still two months or so away but I'm excited!

Sounds cool, keep us posted and im sure your avsforum family would love to check it out!

post #27 of 31 Old 03-24-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Out of curiosity, those of you who use metacritic and game rankings, do you just look at the average scores for a game or do you bother reading the individual review comments and scores?

Both. You want the big picture that metacritic or gamerankings provides but I usually then read a few select reviews: IGN, Gamespot, Gamespy.

I'd also second the rec of gametrailers.com. Their reviews are usually well-done.

Anyone else watching their show on Spike HD? It's pretty decent.

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

post #28 of 31 Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I didn't know there was a show on spike what time/days is it on?
post #29 of 31 Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 AM

I don't usually trust any reviews done by a single person. What I look at is average user scores. Any site that has a huge user base that can give me an average score from 100's of people is really the only score I need to look at.
post #30 of 31 Old 03-24-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

I didn't know there was a show on spike what time/days is it on?

In my area its 1am friday night saturday morning.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page