Does anyone use a Sharp AQUOS LC-C3234U? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
newportdadde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently this TV is on sale at Costco for $650.

After listening to me talk about a new TV for the past year my wife has finally gotten to the 'just buy it' phase that I'm sure many others here are all too aware of. This TV would replace my 12 year old 19 inch Zenith that has been my gaming TV since college. The Zenith has been a decent TV but has issues with text on Xbox360 games(some are unreadable) as well as some other issues(like the ticker at the bottom of news shows can't be read).

I'm curious to hear if anyone here has this TV and how you like it for Xbox 360 gaming and HDTV OTA viewing. Also I would love to know how SD broadcasts look as I do not have digital cable and I still play my PS2 from time to time. Have you noticed any ghosting?

Also is getting an HDTV 'worth it' meaning am I going to see a 700 buck difference or should I wait for more technology improvement? Purchasing this is just a want.. not a need as this point, it won't be our primary television and my old Zenith does 'work okay'.

This is sort of a one shot deal for me, I won't be trading up this TV for some time (probably at least 5 years) unless our primary TV dies in which case this TV might take over that spot.. so any opinions are greatly appreciated.
newportdadde is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 03-25-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whityfrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
ive been where youve been and i got a 32' lcd. take it from me, go bigger, way bigger. and preferably a plasma. their safe for gaming now.
whityfrd is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 03-25-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NJ3118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 1,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
whatever you can afford on your budget is fine...

32" is not small by any means. But dont expect to sit more than 6 feet away.

That model is no longer being made BUT it is a solid model. It does have some dated technology but IF this is your FIRST HDTV, I cant see how you would notice any difference. I have the Aquos 52D64U, the thing is amazing.

PM if you have any more questions

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
NJ3118 is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I've got the Aquos lc32d40u and am really happy with it. It's not the exact same model as the one you're looking at, but I'm sure they're pretty similar technology- and features-wise.

I use mine for OTA HD broadcasts and it looks fantastic. We get a lot of great broadcasts here in the bay area, and they all look (and sound) top-notch. And SD OTA broadcasts are going off the air soon, so that won't matter to you.

The PS2 looks great also, but I run it through my onkyo AVR, so the image gets cleaned up a bit (de-interlaced) before it gets passed on to my display. The only games I play on my PS2 are the Guitar Hero games, though; everything else is through the upscaling power of my PS3.

It's a no-brainer if you're moving from a 19" CRT to a 32" LCD.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
munkyxtc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Aquos 46D64U that was available on BF; and it displays the 360 perfectly; I have never looked at a smaller version but I can't imagine [based on my television] that it'll be significantly different in picture quality meaning you should be extremely satisfied.
munkyxtc is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
CaCHooKa Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i picked that TV up last monday to replace my vizio vx32l and couldnt be happier. the PQ out of the box is amazing and i didnt need to do much tweaking. the black levels are great and havent noticed anything negative yet. the amount of settings you can tweak is great too.
CaCHooKa Man is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Member
 
primordialmeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportdadde View Post

Currently this TV is on sale at Costco for $650.

After listening to me talk about a new TV for the past year my wife has finally gotten to the 'just buy it' phase that I'm sure many others here are all too aware of. This TV would replace my 12 year old 19 inch Zenith that has been my gaming TV since college. The Zenith has been a decent TV but has issues with text on Xbox360 games(some are unreadable) as well as some other issues(like the ticker at the bottom of news shows can't be read).

I'm curious to hear if anyone here has this TV and how you like it for Xbox 360 gaming and HDTV OTA viewing. Also I would love to know how SD broadcasts look as I do not have digital cable and I still play my PS2 from time to time. Have you noticed any ghosting?

Also is getting an HDTV 'worth it' meaning am I going to see a 700 buck difference or should I wait for more technology improvement? Purchasing this is just a want.. not a need as this point, it won't be our primary television and my old Zenith does 'work okay'.

This is sort of a one shot deal for me, I won't be trading up this TV for some time (probably at least 5 years) unless our primary TV dies in which case this TV might take over that spot.. so any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Right now its $699 at costco.com with free shipping, so since its online i wont be paying tax on its so still same price as when it was on sale. Im seriously thinking of getting it in the next week. I will be using it almost entirely for my PS3 I also want to know if any ghosting is noticable (i doubt it b/c i've heard good things about sharp 32" models but i want to confirm this model if possible.)
primordialmeme is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 04-20-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ripeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I can't comment on that exact model but I think ghosting is pretty much a non issue these days. I haven't seen a LCD monitor or TV in years that had ghosting. Maybe its just my eyes :P
Ripeer is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 04-20-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FIVE ONE SIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

I can't comment on that exact model but I think ghosting is pretty much a non issue these days. I haven't seen a LCD monitor or TV in years that had ghosting. Maybe its just my eyes :P

i wouldn't say that, i have the Sharp AQUOS LC-C3234U and i notice some ghosting on COD4, especially red ghosting on District because the map is so red. even with the green turned up and the red turned down i notice it. i've heard about problems with Gears of War and certain HDTV's too..

call it ghosting, call it motion blur, call it whatever you want but it happens...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
FIVE ONE SIX is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 05-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Member
 
xier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone comment on the sound? I turned the unit at Costco up all the way today and did not seem very loud. I will not be able to connect external speakers - and need to know if the stock speaker setup is good/med-or bad?
xier is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 05-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
CaCHooKa Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xier View Post

Can anyone comment on the sound? I turned the unit at Costco up all the way today and did not seem very loud. I will not be able to connect external speakers - and need to know if the stock speaker setup is good/med-or bad?

theyre decent. the set at costco probably doesnt have surround sound or enhanced bass on. it sounds much better with them on. you can also mess with the bass and treble settings.
CaCHooKa Man is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 05-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Member
 
xier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks- I all but ruled this unit out due to the sound I got at Costco... I'll have to play with the adjustments a bit to see if I can get it loud enough - or heck its so small compared to the 58's I need to pick up I may just buy it and try it out in the setting that I'll be using it in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post

theyre decent. the set at costco probably doesnt have surround sound or enhanced bass on. it sounds much better with them on. you can also mess with the bass and treble settings.

xier is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 05-06-2008, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FIVE ONE SIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
honestly, the sound is pretty good for a tv this size, i would say it's fine. it's definitely better than the 32" Vizio if that matters, man that thing was HORRIBLE when it came to sound, i've heard PC monitors with better sounding speakers than that...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
FIVE ONE SIX is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 05-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Member
 
xier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Five - thanks for the info. I plan to check out this unit as well as the Samsung 32A450 today and compare them side by side... I just want to be able to hear the tv (it will be flush mounted insidie a custom nich in the master bath) when the Spa Jets are running etc... Fidelity is not that large of an issue (although 5.1 would be nice) since the unit will probably only be used approx. 20 minutes of the day if even that.
xier is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 05-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Newbie
 
brainsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I've got a quick stupid question. How do I listen to my lc-c3234u with headphones? Is there a hidden headphone jack somewhere? Am I an idiot? I've looked through the manual and can't find anything.

I've got a 360 hooked up with hdmi. I try setting my audio to "variable" and plugging headphones into the 1/8" on the back, but hear nothing. I've also tried using a dual phono to stereo mini adaptor from radioshack, but it only outputs the left channel. My neighbors are going to kill me if I play GTAIV with speakers late at night!
brainsauce is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 04-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Newbie
 
ahpetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, does anyone have the settings that works best for this TV?
ahpetah is offline  
Reply Xbox Area



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off