The Official Grand Theft Auto discussion thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can someone comment on this video (low quality of course)

What is the deal with those "helicopter" camera angles? Is that something the player is doing manually, or does it automatically switch to those? Looks odd.

I think the graphics look really good (and awesome for a sandbox game of this type), so not sure what the complaining is about. Also love the cabbie-drag near the end of that video, but those cops suck at using cover and actually shooting you.

In only 11 hours I'll have this game and my kid will be in bed, so I can enjoy some GTA goodness. Maybe I'll have to put him in bed early. Is it wrong to punish your kid like that so you can play videogames? Probably....I guess I shouldn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Jesus Christ this game is hot!

See darklord... thats all I was trying to say

Glad you like it... I'm loving it too
post #363 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

What is the deal with those "helicopter" camera angles? Is that something the player is doing manually, or does it automatically switch to those? Looks odd.

I like them myself. Kind of like watching a movie.
I bet you can control that though. Probably not the default.

EDIT: The scene at the end where the cab driver is dragged by the car.... WOW!

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #364 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose View Post

That super-high angle pointing down reminds me of GTA 1 and 2. I wonder if that was intentional?

Knowing Rockstar, probably....

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #365 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post

Where do I post my PS3 / 360 comparisons and impressions?

One thing's for sure - both versions feel like I'm playing in quicksand. Ugh

I know what you mean. Controls are very sluggish, especially when engaged in hand to hand combat.

I think this is how other GTA games handled, though.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #366 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a button you can press while driving.

post #367 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I think the graphics look really good (and awesome for a sandbox game of this type), so not sure what the complaining is about. Also love the cabbie-drag near the end of that video, but those cops suck at using cover and actually shooting you.

In only 11 hours I'll have this game and my kid will be in bed, so I can enjoy some GTA goodness. Maybe I'll have to put him in bed early. Is it wrong to punish your kid like that so you can play videogames? Probably....I guess I shouldn't.

I think I remember hearing in the gametrailers review that you can hit 'b' for the cinematic views at any time.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #368 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

I just watched the comparison video over at gamevideos.com, and they both look a little better than the other at certain times. Most third-party games look better on the 360, though. How did this happen?! It's kind of disappointing. They wouldn't do that purposefully to sell more PS3s, would they? Oh well, DLC and LIVE is where it's at. 1 hour to go!

"Talk to me Goose."
post #369 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 08:12 AM

Liked: 93
"See darklord... thats all I was trying to say"

At no point was I ever arguing with you over the quality of the game though!

"PS3 version of GTA IV runs at 630p (1120×630) compared to the 360 version’s 720p (1280×720)."

If you're going to make a comment like that, then you need to provide linkage.

"Jesus Christ this game is hot!"

Let me elaborate, now that I'm not 5 hours past my bedtime. I guess I'll do that in the review thread though...
post #370 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
So, I went to the midnight launch at Blockbuster and got my framed picture of Nikko (sp?) along with the standard edition of the game for the 360. This will be the first GTA I play for any length of time. I owned one on the PS2 but returned it. At the time, I liked the idea of an open world but I didn't find the graphics compelling enough to make me want to explore that world. I also found the controls to be extremely clunky and the morality highly questionable. So, what has changed to make me want to buy this game? Well, the reviews clearly seemed to indicate that the graphics, while maybe not the best out there, are functional to make me want to explore the world. In addition, the fighting/shooting mechanics with the cover system seemed to be pretty cool. On the moral side, I think I have simply become accustom to seeing the same type of content on TV. I watch a lot of TV with my wife and shows like Desperate Housewives, cop shows, BSG, Survivor... all those shows seem to contain similar levels of questionable material. Perhaps at some point I will give that all up and be super-Christian. But for now, I'm killing virtual cops. (Please forgive me Jesus!

So, I did pop the game in and played only the solo mission. In fact, I played for about 1.5 hours, which is a lot considering I went to the midnight launch to get it and it was almost 2am by the time I quit. I don't like to stay up past 1am or so lately. But I have to admit, the story really sucked me in and time was flying by before I knew what happened. The story is really interesting. I won't spoil anything but I will say that it starts off very slow. They introduce gameplay mechanics and controls by providing simple missions. As you continue to accomplish these missions, you get pulled deeper into the story at the same time you are learning the controls. It is a classic methodology for teaching a player about the game. But I think the story is on a higher plane here, so it held my interest more than the usual "training wheel" missions of other games.

The controls are surprisingly sloppy. I was expecting something much tighter. That does not mean that I find them to be "bad" per se. I just need to get used to it. The camera angles and walk mechanics make it somewhat challenging to control his walking. Worse, it is quite difficult to corner in the cars at any decent speed. However, I think this is because I desperately need to learn how to use the handbrake. I felt a little overwhelmed with all the buttons to learn and forgot about the hand brake for some time.

I find the graphics to be very decent. You can obviously tell that models are low poly and textures are low res. But when you see so much of it at the same time, it seems easy to forgive. I like the stylized look of the game. It works. And they have integrate sound very well. I like how your footsteps make different sounds based on what you are walking on. The music in the cars is well done and the dialogue is always entertaining. Commercials and billboards are as well. However, sex is everywhere in this game. If you think you can avoid it by staying away from the hookers, think again. You hear commercials on the radio about spraying a girl in the face (with perfume... as if we don't know what they're talking about). You see billboards with girls eating a hot dog in a suggestive manner. Sex is everywhere. It feels as though the writers are stuck in a junior school/high school era and never grew up... only perfected the art of low brow humor. I have to admit, that I have been entertained by it but could also live without it. There's still a bit of junior school boy in me I guess.

One cool feature is the dramatic camera angle. At any point in the game, you can push a button and make the camera angle look really cool... but sacrifice playability to a huge degree. I like to use this but find it nearly impossible during any sequence that requires fast action. But it looks dang cool, so I try anyway.

I don't know what else to say. So far, it's been a very interesting game. I've found the missions to be entertaining and provide a nice drive to keep me coming back for more. The graphics and sound are well done and the humor factor seems to be high.

I do have my cell phone but have not tried any online gaming as of yet. I must admit that I am super excited to try that out. Exploring Liberty City with a friend sounds awesome.

Also, I have to tell you that I did do a slightly action packed mission toward the end of the night and I was pretty excited about it. It was a cool feeling chasing a guy through the town, fighting, hearing the reaction of the crowds, etc. I am trying to play the game in a realistic fashion. I don't simply run people over for no reason. That did happen one time last night and I felt like quite the mobster with no heart. It was kinda cool actually Hahaha.
post #371 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what all mini games there are? I know you can do pool, play darts, and bowl. Can you use the mini golf course, ride the roller coaster, etc.? And are they unlocked or what.
post #372 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

My biggest complaint with the game has been the camera control. I constantly want to rotate the camera and then keep it there, instead when you start moving it automatically spins back behind the character. I can't figure out a way to change this. It makes me sick cause the camera is always bouncing around because I don't want to always be behind the character and I don't want to have to "hold" the camera in place either.
post #373 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

The only thing I hate so far is the turning of the character. Super lean left or right even when you are moving slow. And I need to see if I can get the camera to stop locking straight ahead when I turn. It doesn't look natural.

Other than those two gripes, the game is the hotness.

post #374 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:

When you are in a video you can hold the B button down and get a cinema view and it is random each time you press it. While holding cinema view you can push down on the left analog stick and it will switch into slow motion.

The 5.0 is here
post #375 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any tips on driving? I'm finding the controls remarkably sluggish. What's really annoying is that you can't turn while braking - how does that make any sense?

post #376 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 AM

"What's really annoying is that you can't turn while braking - how does that make any sense?"

You can't turn while breaking at high speeds, just like real life. When your tires lock up, there is effectively no traction to cause the car to shift in the desired direction.

Tips? When driving hard, as you come up to a turn, slam on the brakes earlier than you would expect to while still driving straight, then let go of the breaks once you have slowed down to turning speed, turn, accelerate half-way through the turn. Don't try to break and turn at the same time.
post #377 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"What's really annoying is that you can't turn while braking - how does that make any sense?"

You can't turn while breaking at high speeds, just like real life. When your tires lock up, there is effectively no traction to cause the car to shift in the desired direction.

Tips? When driving hard, as you come up to a turn, slam on the brakes earlier than you would expect to while still driving straight, then let go of the breaks once you have slowed down to turning speed, turn, accelerate half-way through the turn. Don't try to break and turn at the same time.

Didn't think I was driving at high speeds, but maybe anything higher than a crawl is treated like that...

post #378 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 09:00 AM

"Sex is everywhere. It feels as though the writers are stuck in a junior school/high school era and never grew up... only perfected the art of low brow humor."

It's all very tongue-in-cheek though. They know that they are being overly cheesy with all the sex references, which makes it hilarious. It's like playing a Metal Gear Solid, where the dialog and storyline are such an over the top parody of a spy story that it makes all of the really bad conversations just amazingly humorous.

"Didn't think I was driving at high speeds, but maybe anything higher than a crawl is treated like that..."

Being in 3rd person, the speed of the vehicle will feel far slower than it really is.

Oh yeah! Rockstar Solcial Club! Go now!

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/
post #379 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein View Post

The only thing I hate so far is the turning of the character. Super lean left or right even when you are moving slow. And I need to see if I can get the camera to stop locking straight ahead when I turn. It doesn't look natural.

Other than those two gripes, the game is the hotness.

That's what I mean with the camera. It almost gives me motion sickness. Most 3rd person games do not force the camera on you like this.

I agree with the wakling too. It just looks stupid. It's like the character isn't grounded and is too floaty .So far, my gripes with the game are what they always are with GTA, clunky controls.
post #380 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So far, my gripes with the game are what they always are with GTA, clunky controls.

I've always hated the controls in gta, but this is such a step up I really don't know what everyone is complaining about. I agree it still doesnt respond like god of war, but its so much more enjoyable now. The controls have always gotten in the way of enjoying the previous series, but it doesnt in this game.
post #381 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

You're right. They are better, but still slightly flawed. I mainly just don't like the camera control. I just really hope they release an update that doesn't auto center the camera behind Niko, or gives you the option.
post #382 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

http://kotaku.com/385073/wait-gta-iv-is-locking-up

reports are coming in regarding a freezing issue with both the ps3 and 360 versions of the game.
post #383 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

Didn't think I was driving at high speeds, but maybe anything higher than a crawl is treated like that...

Maybe the cars just don't have ABS on them, or maybe they will get better as the game progresses.
post #384 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 09:38 AM

" reports are coming in regarding a freezing issue with both the ps3 and 360 versions of the game."

Yup. As with any big release, some people will have the bad luck of having there system die on them, or go wonky. They will of course blame it one the game, then the news will spread it around like it's a widespread problem, then we all find out a couple days later that it only happened to like 3 people. Then of course we never hear about it again.

It happens every time. This is nothing new.

Halo 3 kills 360s!
GTA Vice City kills PS2s!
Mario Galaxy kills Wiis!
post #385 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Actually darklord, at least with the 360 it IS plausible. A lot of these big games push the system harder than the ones before (Gears of War, Mass Effect, Dead Rising are 3 that come to mind in the "killed the system" issue), which can expose flaws in the manufacture and construction of the hardware. And with the 360, we know there's a lot of flaws!
post #386 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

no one is claiming that GTA4 is killing systems. Just that it's locking up early in the game for some people and in a major way. this story was posted to digg.com and immediately had 6 responses stating that they had had the same issue.
post #387 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

360: 720p, 2XAA
PS3: 640p, NoAA

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=27284
post #388 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post

or maybe they will get better as the game progresses.

They will, at least recording to some reviewers that played the whole thing. Nicer cars later on.
post #389 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I have both versions sitting in front of me right now unopened. For the life of me i still cant decide which one i want. When i get home from work tonight i will probably just shut my eyes and start ripping open the first one i grab lol.
post #390 of 1475 Old 04-29-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Which version do you have more friends playing? That's all that really matters honestly.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page