I'm ready for new First Person Shooters outside cliche genres - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seriously....I'm ready for a FPS that's not modern-time Army style, sci-fi, or WW2.

I want something that takes place in a different era. Like something in the 60s, or 70s. I'd like a Western FPS done right. Or a good medieval one.

There are lots of good decades and past events to make games based on

That's why I personally was blown away by Bioshock (I know many others were as well) because it was a new time and new setting, etc.

Who else is tired of the same FPS coming out one after another? I love FPS--that and 3rd person games are my favs, but it's like everything is Halo or War-style games. It's getting annoying man.

There is such a lack of creativity on that part that sometimes I worry that games aren't evolving in that direction. Graphics, AI, environments, and more are growing and getting bigger and better, but where the game actually takes place (space, battlefield, other-cliche-scenario) aren't. Sure, there are a few games that go outside the box and try, but the majority are still the same.

I just want something new.

Nothing is real
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 88
If you want a western, Gun was a ton of fun.
post #3 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I was pretty happy with Halo, I didn't know thier were any Halo knock off's, I though Halo was still pretty orignal.
post #4 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They should make one set in the Civil War. Imagine how much fun it would be:
  1. Pinpoint accuracy to within 10 yards.
  2. 30 second reloads on your muzzleloader. They could use the "active reload" gimmick from GOW to improve this time to 20 seconds.
  3. Vehicles such as horses and uhm....wagons pulled by horses.
It'll be awesome.
post #5 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 07:37 AM

Liked: 93
http://www.frictionalgames.com/games/

You need to check out Penumbra. It's FPS puzzle solving horror. Pretty rad.

Oblivion would be the obvious pick for medieval FPS if you haven't played it yet.

The two Condemned games are also very unique for an FPS if you have not experienced them yet.

Really, if you are tired of the cliched environments, then you aren't looking hard enough.
post #6 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

2. 30 second reloads on your muzzleloader. They could use the "active reload" gimmick from GOW to improve this time to 20 seconds.
It'll be awesome.

hahaha I actually burst out laughing in the office. Niccccce.

And I dunno. I'm fine with the current trend of FPS games. I mean...are the 60s and 70s going to be THAT different than current games (in terms of available weapons and general "strategy")? Would a Vietnam-based game really be all that different of a setting from most of the maps in CoD4?

As long as they keep doing the games RIGHT I won't have much to complain about. I'd love another GRAW game or another R6 game (in the same style of Vegas and Vegas 2) that ISN'T BUGGY AS ALL HELL.

I can't see myself ever selling CoD4 or R6:V (1 and 2). But Team Fortress 2...eh. GoW was great for story mode, but I hated online and Halo is a complete joke.

I'm excited for UT3 to come out. People are saying it's like 2k4 but prettier and that sounds like a dangerous combination to me. 2k4 almost caused me to fail out of college sophomore year I was so addicted. I'd play until 5:30am every night, pass out, get up at 7:30 and then go to class for 4 hours and work for 6-8, come home and do it again.

"IBTL" isn't cute, funny or original.

Also: you couldn't care less and purposes are NOT intensive. For all intents and purposes if you don't know these things, you probably shouldn't use them.
post #7 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

If you want a western, Gun was a ton of fun.

That's not an FPS, is it?
post #8 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
A Western would way cool, but I can't see anybody actually doing it correctly
post #9 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://www.frictionalgames.com/games/

You need to check out Penumbra. It's FPS puzzle solving horror. Pretty rad.

Oblivion would be the obvious pick for medieval FPS if you haven't played it yet.

The two Condemned games are also very unique for an FPS if you have not experienced them yet.

Really, if you are tired of the cliched environments, then you aren't looking hard enough.

Yeah--I've played all those. I just want upcoming FPS to be more unique (those are unique, Oblivion and Condemned)--I just want more.

I think I was playing COD4 with you the other day, now that I see what your XBL name is.

Nothing is real
post #10 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 AM

I really, really, really want to see a remake of Interstate 76 with out of car elements thrown in. Or maybe a mad max themed one.... badass
post #11 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloideyes View Post

I want something that takes place in a different era. Like something in the 60s, or 70s. I'd like a Western FPS done right. Or a good medieval one.

What exactly would you be shooting in a medieval FPS?
post #12 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 AM

The French.
post #13 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I forget, was gun 1st person or 3rd? Anyway, it's an action/shooter game that's fun.

You guys realize their IS a Civil War FPS, right? I believe it's a History Channel game.
post #14 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

And if you want different, and awesome, pick up an original Xbox copy of Call of Cthulhu.
post #15 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Hunt down No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 for the PC. Both games are excellent and basically provided the mold for Half-Life 2's design well before Valve got around to releasing it.
post #16 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The French.

I just burst out laughing in the middle of a meeting. Thanks.

"IBTL" isn't cute, funny or original.

Also: you couldn't care less and purposes are NOT intensive. For all intents and purposes if you don't know these things, you probably shouldn't use them.
post #17 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 11:24 AM

There's that Clive Barker Jericho game that came out recently. I personally didn't care for it, but it seems to be the sort of game you're asking about.
post #18 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

It'll be awesome.

well heres one although the sweet ass features you want arent in it ha ha

http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1...ation-Divided/

post #19 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

I say give shadowrun a shot. You can download the demo on xbox live and durring the evening it fairly easy to find a game.

I just love teleporting through walls with a troll and a minigun

Spin

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Receiver - Pioneer 1015-K
Speakers - Polk 6901 (7.1 setup)
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #20 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

The fun/different story of a FPS is very appealing to me and Id love to see something new. With that said, I still think Halo was one of the best/engaging stories when it first came out. It really drew me to the game. I think Resistance Fall of Man has a great plot as well and cant wait for part 2 to come out. I enjoy probably the Sci-fi side of things more than anything. It gives a game the best potential for fun/ridiculous weapons as well as crazy plots. I think a western or civil war game would bore me stiff.

Fun story, make believe weapons (COD4 is the obvious exception to this), and fast pace and smooth gameplay and to me its a FPS winner. On the multiplayer front, I think/hope all games in the future incorporate ranking and achievement systems similar to COD4. It really gives you a feeling that you are always playing towards something and can really keep the game exciting when it might otherwise be getting stale. Thats the biggest difference Im finding between it and Halo 3. Once I topped out in Team Slayer I didnt really feel like I had much fun playing Halo. I think Bungie will learn from this and blow us away with their next game, whatever it is.
post #21 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I'd like a Western FPS done right.

I'm with on on that. I enjoyed Call of Juarez (not great, but enjoyable), but I'd love to see another Western.

I've always longed for a strong Western FPS RPG. How awesome would it be to imagine Oblivion but as a Western?

-JR
post #22 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm hoping Fallout3 will be the "gaming experience masterpiece" that the first two were, as far as environment, plot and dark humor... if it turns out to be, it'll be a instant classic!!!

-Josh Murrah
post #23 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyahJay View Post

I really, really, really want to see a remake of Interstate 76 with out of car elements thrown in. Or maybe a mad max themed one.... badass

Well, I guess you will get Wheelman which has shooting and driving.
And for Western Shooter there is Call of Juarez.
post #24 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 03:41 PM

http://www.darkwatch.com/

Darkwatch was a western FPS that was done very right.
post #25 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Call of Juarez as good as Gun? I loved Gun (even though it was 3rd person). Also a remake of NOLF would be awesome. Loved that game.
post #26 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The trick is there's only so many things you can shoot

War, sci fi, cops & robbers, wild west. What's left? Bioshock definitely had a cool, unique theme but frankly I thought it was a poor FPS, the gameplay was way too reminiscent of Doom 3.

I'm struggling to even think of alternatives. bounty hunters? medieval bow & arrows?

jeff
post #27 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I want something that takes place in a different era. Like something in the 60s, or 70s.

As suggested, definitely check out No one lives forever, it's like half-life meets austin powers, but plays more like goldeneye, excellent game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Hunt down No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 for the PC. Both games are excellent and basically provided the mold for Half-Life 2's design well before Valve got around to releasing it.

+1, i'd love to see NOLF 3 on 360. but not very probable since warner aquired monolith and vivendi seems to own some of the rights.... a few things could happen.

1. Warner acquires the rights from Vivendi and Monolith develops NOLF 3. Unlikely to happen because Vivendi Universal Games and Warner Bros are competitors.

2. Monolith and Warner develop and publish a game “in the style of” NOLF (much like Project Origin – exactly the same situation). The game would have a different name, (to avoid legal action).

3. Vivendi works with a new developer on NOLF 3 (completely new development & writing team, new game engine).

4. Both 2 & 3 at the same time (which is what is happening with Project Origin and Vivendi's next F.E.A.R. game).

5. Nothing (not the preferred option of course).

Or.. someone has a (very) large lottery win, buys the rights from Vivendi and contracts Warner (with Monolith) to develop and publish NOLF 3. ~$35 million might cover it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod_b View Post

Call of Juarez as good as Gun? I loved Gun (even though it was 3rd person). Also a remake of NOLF would be awesome. Loved that game.

i liked both games, but didnt love either of them, IMO COJ was better... ever play red dead revolver? its third person, but still pretty good... might want to see if its backwards compatible.... i'd like to see a sequel on 360.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #28 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

The French.

What would we be aiming at them? Cake?

Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever.
Choosing sides is so...last gen.
360/PS3/Wii/HD DVD/Blu-Ray/Plasma/PJ - Too much money
Not having to choose - Priceless
post #29 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 04:58 PM

"but not very probable since warner aquired monolith and vivendi seems to own some of the rights"

Monolith is already putting out some amazing stuff right now. If they keep up this level of quality, then I don't care if we ever see another NOLF.
post #30 of 51 Old 04-22-2008, 05:18 PM

A FPS that is based in the 60's, hmmmmmmm.........got it remake Golgo 13. Not the Japanese version.

(as given by Nintendo)

High above New York City a helicopter explodes. Aboard the craft is the latest biological warfare weapon which has been secretly developed by the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency)... Cassandra-G. A vaccine and plans have been stolen are among the fragments of the helicopter wreckage along with a shell fired from an M16.

The copter was shot down from fire of an expert sharpshooter armed with an M-16. The CIA concludes that the act was the responsibility of the super sniper, Golgo-13. An official release by the CIA links Golgo-13 to the KGB (the Soviet intelligence group).

Under these circumstances, The CIA copter incident and the unknown where-abouts of Cassandra-G become entangled. A representative of the secret international organization, FIXER, transmits a message. FIXER believes the affair is the work of the remnants of the DREK Empire and not Golgo-13.

After the dispatch, the representative disappears. The situation becomes more and more mysterious. A man who calls himself Condor agrees to help FIXER. In East Berlin, because Condor has received some information on Cassandra-G, the CIA, KGB, and even DREK are threatening his life

Upon a request from FIXER, Golgo-13 has gone into action. He is to get information on a vaccine from Condor and eliminate the leader of the DREK group...
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page