Xbox 360 Falcon Power Supply Issues - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Your 175w power supply unit...
I have a Rev A 175w power supply and I DO notice humming when in standby. 0 0%
I have a Rev A 175w power supply and I DO NOT notice humming when in standby. 0 0%
I have a Rev 01 175w power supply and I DO notice humming when in standby. 0 0%
I have a Rev 01 175w power supply and I DO NOT notice humming when in standby. 0 0%
I do not have a 175w power supply or it is not Rev A or Rev 01. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently bought a new xbox 360 after my old one had the RRoD. I purchased an Elite 360 with the new falcon board/chip (I know this because the power supply I received was a 175w instead of the normal 203w). The manufacturing date on the 360 is 2008-03-07.

The issue I am having is that the fans in the external power supply brick continue to run after shutting down the system. On my old 2006-07-19 360, when the power supply brick went to standby (i.e., plugged into wall outlet but system powered off) it did not make any noticeable noise unless you were right on top of it. My new 175w power supply brick (or PSU) makes an annoyingly audible humming sound, which is the fans running I presume, even after the system is shutdown and in standby (orange light on PSU). Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

The sound is not incredibly loud, just a constant low humming noise. Most people think I must hear like a dog to notice it, but when there is nothing else on in my room (i.e., I am trying to sleep) it becomes incredibly noticeable. I don't want to have to keep unpluggin the 360 when it is not in use, but I think I might have to.

I have a friend who just bought a new elite falcon model as well and his power supply unit does NOT make the same noise. I called Microsoft support and they said the humming is normal and that as long as there is no clicking or grinding that the PSU is okay. My PSU says Rev A on the back and my friends is a Rev 01. Do all 175w Rev A PSUs make this noise? Should I try to swap it out at Best Buy for a 175w Rev 01, or is it not a good idea to mix PSUs even if they are the same wattage?

Any help/comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM

Mine is a falcon but mine says Rev 00. No humming noise.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

What is the manufacturing date on your console?
post #4 of 10 Old 09-22-2008, 04:11 PM

I just bought an Xbox Elite (MFG Date 02-23-08) and I'm having the same problem with my power supply, it squeals all the time, loudly, even when the console is off. It is very annoying and unacceptable to me. The PS is 175W, Rev A.

I've read online that this is a common problem and people have gotten their power supplies replaced by Microsoft. I called the Xbox support line and was told by an Indian gentleman that I should "take the console back". He didn't seem to understand what I was saying about the power supply, then he suddenly put me on hold with tremendously loud and really bad techno music playing. I held the line until I couldn't take it anymore, over 20 minutes. So he essentially hung up on me.

I've sent an email request to Xbox support to get a replacement, I'll report the results here. My solution in the mean time is to disconnect the PS from power when I'm not using it. The Xbox remembers its settings and resets its clock online if it can get a connection, so this solution is workable, temporarily.

-JimmyHDTV
post #5 of 10 Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyk587 View Post

Mine is a falcon but mine says Rev 00. No humming noise.

Same here,an Elite from April 08 w/ BenQ drive.
Absolutely quiet.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 78
When it's off? I don't here anything. When it's background DLing it is loud. When it playing a DVD based game it's deafening.

Now playing: Watch Dogs

Recently Finished: Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS

PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33

post #7 of 10 Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymar View Post

My PSU says Rev A on the back and my friends is a Rev 01. Do all 175w Rev A PSUs make this noise? Should I try to swap it out at Best Buy for a 175w Rev 01, or is it not a good idea to mix PSUs even if they are the same wattage?

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

if that's the case, than you should have just kept your old 203w brick, it's ok to use a 203w brick with a Falcon but it's not ok to use a 175w brick with a non-Falcon...

FWIW, i have a 175w Rev: 01 PSP and i don't notice a sound from mine when it's in stand-by mode. my system is a newer 60G model though, so maybe they noticed a problem with it and switched it in the newer systems, but who knows for sure...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #8 of 10 Old 09-24-2008, 02:05 PM

I got a response from Xbox email support saying they would work with me to replace the power supply, but I had to call the support line. I did, gave my info to another Indian gentleman, who then transferred me to an American-sounding gentleman ("Live support", he called it). He told me that I had to send the power supply in before receiving a replacement, which would leave me without the console for who knows how many weeks, with an expiring Xbox Live subscription. He wouldn't agree to send me a new unit first, and I even offered to give a credit card as collateral against them receiving my faulty unit back. But he couldn't/wouldn't offer me any other options.

So I asked to speak to a supervisor. I waited on hold for 45 minutes with that terrible, terrible techno music playing. I almost took my own life. Just in time, I removed the razor blade from my wrist when the supervisor lady finally came on the line, but she wouldn't work with me either. So I was told to send the PS back to here:

5700 S Industrial Parkway
Door 18
McAllen, TX 78503

So I have to figure out a time when I want to be without the Xbox for a while. Sigh.

-JimmyHDTV
post #9 of 10 Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post

if that's the case, than you should have just kept your old 203w brick, it's ok to use a 203w brick with a Falcon but it's not ok to use a 175w brick with a non-Falcon...

FWIW, i have a 175w Rev: 01 PSP and i don't notice a sound from mine when it's in stand-by mode. my system is a newer 60G model though, so maybe they noticed a problem with it and switched it in the newer systems, but who knows for sure...

I had a few minutes to spare this weekend in trying to isolate the noise from my halo 3 console and low and behold 100% of the fan noise is coming from the power supply vs the console itself (when in normal operating mode).

I have both the 203w and 175w - the halo3 is falcon and came with the 175w but i noticed you CAN'T use the 203w on the falcon system because there is a slight change to the power connector on the xbox itself.

I'm looking around to see if i can mod the power brick, its insanely loud and only noticed the noise on it after all this time when in finally turned the 360 off and the brick kept on running.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-28-2008, 01:24 PM

Liked: 93
I recall seeing a PSU mod that a guy did where he cut the plastic top off of the PSU and mounted a large Pentium-II heatsink in place of the tiny heatsink/fan combo that is inside the PSU by default.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page