Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-20-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,
I am considering purchasing a second 360 for my living room.

Is it possible to have my one gamertag, Billbofet, on both consoles? I don't see having them both on at the same time, so I'm not sure if that matters or not.

I've read around that using a memory card helps, but I'm confused how it works. I basically just want to be able to play on xbox live on both 360's and if I'm playing something like Lost Odysey, I could just transfer back and forth with the memory card, right?

Also, if I sign in on the new machine, can I download my xbla stuff to the new unit?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-20-2008, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 430
You can take your profile to each system with the memory card but your games will be arcade games will be tied to one system. If you do it through Live and transfer your gamertag then you have a long wait process each time you want to do it. I am not sure someone else can chime in but if you take the hardrive instead that might work alot easier. Anyone know?

The 5.0 is here
post #3 of 20 Old 07-20-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Taking out your HDD is the way to go. I always do this. Just remember that your downloadable arcade games will be tied to one system, as stated before.

I take my hard drive to my parent's house to play on my brother's system every weekend. No issue. No gametag to recover, and you keep everything besides your licensing for your xbl games.
post #4 of 20 Old 07-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry... You can't have your GT on more than one 360 at a time. Just use a memory card to move it around the house or swap the HDD to the one you want to play on LIVE with. Having a half dozen 360s through out the house, I use a 512 memory card to move my GT around and back up my game saves. A friend of mine had his HDD die and lost all of game saves in a flash... ouch.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-21-2008, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I thought they had resolved the DRM issue now allowing xbla titles to be played on more than one 360 if you use the same gamertag.

Did I hear wrong?

Thanks again
post #6 of 20 Old 07-21-2008, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

I thought they had resolved the DRM issue now allowing xbla titles to be played on more than one 360 if you use the same gamertag.

Did I hear wrong?

Thanks again

They allowed it to be played on the 360 it was purchased without the requirement of being online.

The 5.0 is here
post #7 of 20 Old 07-21-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did I hear wrong?

Thanks again

Not sure it was ever an issue *as long as you're online* when playing it on the second (or third or whatever...) console.

Last XMAs I took my HDD on vacation and I had no problem playing my arcade games (and redownloading TV shows) at my mother's, my sister's, and my cousin's house. Last week it at my brother's (yes, that's four 360's for four of us. And at least 3 cousins have 'em too. Gaming savvy runs in the family.)

Never could figure out what folks were gripping about anyway...

To the best of my knowledge the stuff is locked to the gamer tag; where the tag goes, so does the DRM license. As long as it can go online to verify the license is current, you're good to go anywhere.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

another question on the topic that I think I know the answer to but figured I'd ask anyways-

So if I download Rockband songs onto my 20GB under my profile, I'll be able to take it to my other 360 and play them WITHOUT being online (my secondary system is in the kid's TV room and that's where the Rockband equipment is set up)?

I've been wanting to download some songs but this question has kept me from doing it.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 89
If you're not on the console that you bought the games with, then you need to be online to use the content.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-21-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRALFAZ View Post

Sorry... You can't have your GT on more than one 360 at a time. Just use a memory card to move it around the house or swap the HDD to the one you want to play on LIVE with. Having a half dozen 360s through out the house, I use a 512 memory card to move my GT around and back up my game saves. A friend of mine had his HDD die and lost all of game saves in a flash... ouch.

Yes, you can have the same gamertag on multiple consoles.

I have an elite in my basement and a premium in my living room. Both share the same gamertags.

Codejunkies sells a device that lets you clone your memory card on your pc.

http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/X..._EF000188.aspx

You can do it in 5 easy steps.

1 Move the profile to the memory card.

2 Clone to PC.

3 Insert memory card in xbox 1 and move profile to xbox 1 from memory card.

4 Clone image back onto memory card.

5 Insert memory card into xbox 2 and move profile to xbox 2 from memory card.

Steve
post #11 of 20 Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

They allowed it to be played on the 360 it was purchased without the requirement of being online.

This is very handy.. for instance now my 6 yr old can play arcade games without making acheivment changes to my gamertag. Yea.. i know.. but I just have this thing about earning things for myself and not cheating. Call it silly.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-22-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, I can buy a new 360, transfer my profile via memory card and download all the stuff I already have paid for on to the new system?

If so, that's great. I would be online at all times when using either console, so that would be my only issue?

Thanks again,
Bill
post #13 of 20 Old 07-22-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

For reference, here is a previous thread about this topic:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=917088
post #14 of 20 Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, I can buy a new 360, transfer my profile via memory card and download all the stuff I already have paid for on to the new system?

If so, that's great. I would be online at all times when using either console, so that would be my only issue?

Thanks again,
Bill

Why is it an issue to be on at all times? I don't think you can use the same account at multiple locations. that's the only problem.

Steve
post #15 of 20 Old 07-22-2008, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I'm doing the same thing as he described and works with both X360 sharing the same gamertag. But the only one X360 can be logged into Xbox Live at a time. The last X360 will be the one logged in while the previous X360 will be logged out from Xbox Live.

Still better than having to move the memory card between X360 consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelosi View Post

Yes, you can have the same gamertag on multiple consoles.

I have an elite in my basement and a premium in my living room. Both share the same gamertags.

Codejunkies sells a device that lets you clone your memory card on your pc.

http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/X..._EF000188.aspx

You can do it in 5 easy steps.

1 Move the profile to the memory card.

2 Clone to PC.

3 Insert memory card in xbox 1 and move profile to xbox 1 from memory card.

4 Clone image back onto memory card.

5 Insert memory card into xbox 2 and move profile to xbox 2 from memory card.

post #16 of 20 Old 07-23-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

I'm doing the same thing as he described and works with both X360 sharing the same gamertag. But the only one X360 can be logged into Xbox Live at a time. The last X360 will be the one logged in while the previous X360 will be logged out from Xbox Live.

Still better than having to move the memory card between X360 consoles.

Hey Vortex. What if you leave the first Xbox on low power download mode and fire up the second Xbox? Does it stop the download?
post #17 of 20 Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

If your 1st X360 is already in the low power mode downloading, and you login to Xbox Live on the 2nd X360, the 1st X360 continues to download. I have tried that several times and it works.

But if your 1st X360 is still on on the dashboard, the download will get disconnected because it got logged out from Live.

Maybe it's one of the loophole on X360 in the low power mode because it can't check if your profile is still logged to Live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Hey Vortex. What if you leave the first Xbox on low power download mode and fire up the second Xbox? Does it stop the download?

post #18 of 20 Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

If your 1st X360 is already in the low power mode downloading, and you login to Xbox Live on the 2nd X360, the 1st X360 continues to download. I have tried that several times and it works.

But if your 1st X360 is still on on the dashboard, the download will get disconnected because it got logged out from Live.

Maybe it's one of the loophole on X360 in the low power mode because it can't check if your profile is still logged to Live.

Good news! Thanks.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 AM

so can i take my friend's HDD and put it in my 360 go on XBLA and download something on to my 360 and give him back the HDD but i keep the game on my 360 and it keeps its ablity to go online..?
post #20 of 20 Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

As long you have the same Gamertag that you bought the downloadable game, you can redownload the same game on multiple X360 consoles. But you do need to login to Xbox Live with the Gamertag that bought the game to be able to play the game.

But you could have the same game active on two X360 consoles at the same time. The first X360 console that you bought the game doesn't need to be logged into Live to play it. Only the other X360 console that you download the game has to be logged into Live.

This also works for movies you bought from Live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmc3lambo View Post

so can i take my friend's HDD and put it in my 360 go on XBLA and download something on to my 360 and give him back the HDD but i keep the game on my 360 and it keeps its ablity to go online..?

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page