Bungie boss "laughed" when MS pulled Halo from E3 briefing - Mattrick - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Don Mattrick has denied that Bungie was angry about Microsoft's decision to pull the developer's new Halo game from the Xbox 360 E3 press conference.

"Sure they're disappointed. Any software creator would be disappointed," Mattrick, boss of the Xbox 360 business, told Eurogamer at E3 for an exclusive interview set to run later this week.

"Harold [Ryan, Bungie president] just laughed and he said, 'Boy, just a sign of growth inside the business, we agree'."

Last week Ryan wrote on Bungie's website that the team was disappointed by Microsoft's last-minute decision not to unveil the game.

Pressed on the decision to pull the new Halo title from the E3 briefing, Mattrick said: "We didn't feel we needed to show Halo to have a great show, to pay homage to our core audience, to have a lot of news, so it was an embarrassment of riches and we couldn't fit it in. How great is that? I think that's awesome."

Microsoft will host an event "another time of the year that'll go deep on Halo", Mattrick explained.

"So that's what we're going to do and I think we're smart. I had so many people come to me and say 'look at that, that's a measure of growth and maturity of Microsoft - the fact that you have the best show, the best collection of products and you didn't even have to show Halo'."

Mattrick wouldn't be drawn on the contents of the game itself, but said there's "an ongoing work-stream with Bungie and others" on "all kinds of new things in development".

"It's awesome, it's highly anticipated, it's friggin' Halo! People love it, right? I can't say a lot about it.

"We're going to create an opportunity where people can interact with it, we think it's going to be super high quality, super fun, super innovative; it's the easiest thing for us to message, so stay tuned. There's lots of good news on that."

Look out for our full Don Mattrick interview tomorrow.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=200278

The 5.0 is here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Don Mattrick has denied that Bungie was angry about Microsoft's decision to pull the developer's new Halo game from the Xbox 360 E3 press conference.

"Sure they're disappointed. Any software creator would be disappointed," Mattrick, boss of the Xbox 360 business, told Eurogamer at E3 for an exclusive interview set to run later this week.

"Harold [Ryan, Bungie president] just laughed and he said, 'Boy, just a sign of growth inside the business, we agree'."

Last week Ryan wrote on Bungie's website that the team was disappointed by Microsoft's last-minute decision not to unveil the game.

Pressed on the decision to pull the new Halo title from the E3 briefing, Mattrick said: "We didn't feel we needed to show Halo to have a great show, to pay homage to our core audience, to have a lot of news, so it was an embarrassment of riches and we couldn't fit it in. How great is that? I think that's
awesome."

Microsoft will host an event "another time of the year that'll go deep on Halo", Mattrick explained.

"So that's what we're going to do and I think we're smart. I had so many people come to me and say 'look at that, that's a measure of growth and maturity of Microsoft - the fact that you have the best show, the best collection of products and you didn't even have to show Halo'."

Mattrick wouldn't be drawn on the contents of the game itself, but said there's "an ongoing work-stream with Bungie and others" on "all kinds of new things in development".

"It's awesome, it's highly anticipated, it's friggin' Halo! People love it, right? I can't say a lot about it.

"We're going to create an opportunity where people can interact with it, we think it's going to be super high quality, super fun, super innovative; it's the easiest thing for us to message, so stay tuned. There's lots of good news on that."

Look out for our full Don Mattrick interview tomorrow.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=200278

I cant get to the article, so maybe its answered there, but are they talking about "Halo Wars" or some other Halo game?

EDIT: EDIT: Article spells out that its not known. Answered my own question

Gamertag= Nexus976lives
PS3= Nexus976
Wii= Be serious, now....
post #3 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replicant Nexus6 View Post

I cant get to the article, so maybe its answered there, but are they talking about "Halo Wars" or some other Halo game?

The lastest 'rumor' is that it is another game other than Halo wars. Apparently a tacticle based shooter that likely involves the Marines, or those shock drop troopers, and NOT involving the Sparans (though maybe a cameo by the Spartans). Perhaps telling the 'dark' story of all the billions of people being killed by the Covanent? Either way, just being part of the 'Halo' universe and perhaps telling more stories will make the game great.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #4 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Basically Bungie has already confirmed it to be another Halo game that is not tied to the Peter Jackson project. What type of game is unknown at this point.

The 5.0 is here
post #5 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps telling the 'dark' story of all the billions of people being killed by the Covanent?

Fall of Reach would be a awsome.

The 5.0 is here
post #6 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 10:14 AM

They could do a 3rd person shooter 4 player co-op Halo game. Ad in a good amound of close quarter hand to hand combat like Oni
post #7 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 137
If it doesn't involve playing as the master chief I wonder how widely accepted the game will be. It seems master chief is the draw over the years. Hmmm, will be interesting to see what this turns out to be.

post #8 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

If it doesn't involve playing as the master chief I wonder how widely accepted the game will be. It seems master chief is the draw over the years. Hmmm, will be interesting to see what this turns out to be.

We will find out when Halo Wars comes out.

The 5.0 is here
post #9 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

The Halo series is completely outclassed in multiplayer by games like Call of Duty 4, and in single player by games like Bioshock. I think a lot of people found Halo 3 to be quite a let-down, to be honest, and I don't personally think Microsoft "needs" Halo anymore to be successful in the console industry.
post #10 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 PM

MS is guaranteed to make millions on any software that has anything remotly in common with Halo. Never say that a particular franchise is not "needed". Look at FF13, I think Sony really "needed" to keep SquareEnix as an exclusive developer.

GT Chuck81
post #11 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

The Halo series is completely outclassed in multiplayer by games like Call of Duty 4, and in single player by games like Bioshock. I think a lot of people found Halo 3 to be quite a let-down, to be honest, and I don't personally think Microsoft "needs" Halo anymore to be successful in the console industry.

although i agree with you, check sales #'s for these titles, and also check the top live games, halo 3 is back at #1 after many cod players switched to frontlines, battlefield, etc.

i cant find exact (up to date) sales numbers for halo 3, but i'm thinking something like 10 million.... out of 12 million live accounts.... pretty impressive, though i personally was pretty unimpressed by halo 3.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #12 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are old threads you can dig up to start this crap again. Lots of people still playing Halo 3, its a fun game, and a huge fan base that still wants more.
post #13 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 12:49 PM

What I really appreciate is the fact that I can play 4 player's on one display with Halo 3.. Not many other FPS's offer that these days
post #14 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah sorry, don't want to start a "Halo is awesome" vs. "Halo sucks" debate, just pointing out that sometimes series are popular but can wane over time. Of course, look at Madden, it's the same schlock every year and people still buy a kajillion copies...
post #15 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The game is going to be a Halo puzzle game... (ala, Dr. Mario)

XBOX Live: Hank Love
post #16 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPraze View Post

The game is going to be a Halo puzzle game... (ala, Dr. Mario)

LOL, good lord! Halo Pachenko has a nice ring to it
post #17 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah sorry, don't want to start a "Halo is awesome" vs. "Halo sucks" debate, just pointing out that sometimes series are popular but can wane over time. Of course, look at Madden, it's the same schlock every year and people still buy a kajillion copies...

Yeah, no doubt. I loved the Halo trilogy but I definitely agree now the multiplayer feels a lot like "Same old same old".....but when I give it time I find myself having fun still. It will be interesting to see what they do different in the next version of it, whatever it may be.

I really think the single player in part 3 felt empty without the elites. It was a fun game with tons of gameplay options but I missed battling the elites, and hearing the "Waaaaabbbaaaabaaaaa" that they'd yell at you.
post #18 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

RESISTANCE 2 is futile.......we win against spartans.
post #19 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davio View Post

I really think the single player in part 3 felt empty without the elites. It was a fun game with tons of gameplay options but I missed battling the elites, and hearing the "Waaaaabbbaaaabaaaaa" that they'd yell at you.

My personal favorite was the "Wort-Wort-Wort" (or was that from Halo CE, before they magically started being able to speak English?)
post #20 of 36 Old 07-23-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 View Post

My personal favorite was the "Wort-Wort-Wort" (or was that from Halo CE, before they magically started being able to speak English?)

It worked for the Romulans

The 5.0 is here
post #21 of 36 Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Not having played Bioshock nor CoD 4 yet (I know, I know) I can't agree or disagree with your statement.
However, I'm not sure you're making a fair comparison... would it be that surprising if the single-player experience of a single-player only game -- and the multiplayer experience of what some would call a predominantly multiplayer game -- were superior to those in a game that tries to balance both single- and multiplayer?
I cerainly wasn't let-down by H3, though I do feel I held my expectations in check, which might have helped. I think a lot of folks really got themselves hyped up, and probably too far up at that.
post #22 of 36 Old 07-24-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, expectation can indeed be a difficult thing to live up to...

Still, a key question in my mind is "Will Halo Wars sell more units than it otherwise would simply because it contains the word 'Halo' in the title?". I believe the answer to that question is "Yes", sadly. The brand is quite strong, and it will continue to move games, but eventually too many imperfect games can result in a watering-down of the franchise. So I suppose maybe it's too early to say that Microsoft doesn't "need" Halo, but I think they've done a good job of moving beyond the need for a single brand or franchise to support their platform.
post #23 of 36 Old 07-24-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Comming from the perspective of never played Halo 1 or 2, I found the Halo 3 experience outstanding. I thought the story was great (though I did not fully understand it), the soundtract outstanding, the visuals colorful, and very nice, and multiple things to do in the campaign (fighting, driving, flying etc). The fact that there was 4 player co-op was a major icing on the cake.

To contrast, I played CoD2, then CoD3, then CoD4, and yes it is a great game, smooth as butter, great graphics, but having just played tons of CoD3 just prior, to me the multiplayer was more of the same. Sure the perks made you keep playing, but essentially the same run and gun sniper fest as in the other 2 games. On top of it they removed classes (medics, support, etc) removed vehicles, and downsizing party size compared to CoD3. Even then however, teh game was outstanding. Just totally different than Halo3.

At the end I still feel the 3 staples on the Xbox are Gears of War, Halo 3, and CoD4. Despite any inherant flaws with each game, they are all great.

post #24 of 36 Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, expectation can indeed be a difficult thing to live up to...

Still, a key question in my mind is "Will Halo Wars sell more units than it otherwise would simply because it contains the word 'Halo' in the title?". I believe the answer to that question is "Yes", sadly. The brand is quite strong, and it will continue to move games, but eventually too many imperfect games can result in a watering-down of the franchise. So I suppose maybe it's too early to say that Microsoft doesn't "need" Halo, but I think they've done a good job of moving beyond the need for a single brand or franchise to support their platform.

Yes and no. I think that anything with the Halo name on it will sell more just because of that, but then at the same time, MS has to make sure that the name does not get tarnished due to a bad product. Because they are the publisher, and because Halo = Xbox, the continued success of Xbox will unfortunately be linked to the continued success for Halo. Halo Wars is a RTS game, and should only be judged in the same class. My suspicion is that like with other RTS games they will likely have real actors staring in the cut scenes, and will likely have a pretty good story within the Halo Universe.

post #25 of 36 Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The only real complaints we ever hear about with Halo 3 are along the lines of the graphics not being as top notch as say COD4 or Gears, the maps arent that good, or the gameplay feels like same old same old. In general though, I dont think anyone can argue that the game isnt top tier quality. What Im getting at, is I dont think MS or Bungie will use the Halo name just for profits, I think they will make d@mn sure that any game with Halo name in it is top notch....and as an RTS Halo Wars will be no exception. Will some people buy the game just because it says Halo? YES, myself included, but that is a good thing because otherwise, even if the game were a terrific RTS, I probably wouldnt buy it because its not my genre of choice.

On a separate note, Halo 3, like Halo 2, really brought some innovation to the table in terms of console gaming. Halo 2 redefined the way console online gaming was conducted. Halo 3 added to it, threw in 4 player co-op that worked flawlessly, Forge, file sharing and amazingly, the video feature. How many of you out there have spent some time downloading shared videos or maps? I know most of us tend to just sign on, play team deathmatch, sign off......but man its really a blast to watch other peoples videos and check out crazy maps and other stuff from the file sharing. There are truly hundreds of hours of fun to mess around with if you give it the time.
post #26 of 36 Old 07-24-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 View Post

Me too

post #27 of 36 Old 07-24-2008, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Having played GoW, Bioshock and CoD I will say that H3 isn't outclassed by any of those. It's just different personal tastes. I wouldn't take anything away from those three games as they have excellent gameplay and graphics and the sales to back it up. It's just that the style of those three is just not the style of FPS I enjoy at all. Being a Doom baby, I've always love the quick and to the point FPS.
post #28 of 36 Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Pressed on the decision to pull the new Halo title from the E3 briefing, Mattrick said: "We didn't feel we needed to show Halo to have a great show, to pay homage to our core audience, to have a lot of news, so it was an embarrassment of riches and we couldn't fit it in. How great is that? I think that's awesome."

Yeah, I think that's awesome that the new Bungie game got pulled because they had to announce that frakking 'I'm in the Movies' game. Makes plenty of sense to me.

XBOX Live / PSN: Choocheroo
post #29 of 36 Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPresseau View Post

Yeah, I think that's awesome that the new Bungie game got pulled because they had to announce that frakking 'I'm in the Movies' game. Makes plenty of sense to me.

The ad slogan for In the Movies will be "We put the embarrassment in 'embarrassment of riches'!"
post #30 of 36 Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I really cannot understand why people have it in for Halo.
All three games are polished , beautifully crafted and have excellent production values. ( no game has really grabbed me as much as Halo on the Xbox release day)

Anyone who has gamed for any length of time should be in awe of the series.

Sure COD4 , Bioshock , Gears , Oblivion all fantastic games , why shouldn't we be able to appreciate good games on their own terms.

We've got Fallout 3 coming soon, this is the golden age of video games people , the last couple of years have given us some of the best gaming experiences.

We are so lucky , a few years back it looked as if video games were about to disappear into obscurity: ironically thanks to the rise of the PC.

We now have a thriving sophisticated industry instead.....salad days baby.

I'm pushing 40* and I get more excited about a new cool game coming out than I ever did as a kid ( probably because I can now afford to game on a 9ft 1080p display!)

*I'd like to point out I'm married with two kids , have a very cool career and am generally regarded as a maniac by my friends.

I hope the Halos and Gears and Calls of Duty keep going for as long as we want to buy them.

digital film janitor
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page