The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 145 Old 09-22-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having trouble on the Wench Challenge for the helicopter pilot. I raise the box past 5 meters, but it still says I lost the wager. I am staying in-bounds. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I'm having trouble with mission. I have the 3 bunker busters and get to the bunker, but I don't have a laser designator and cannot call in bombs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 145 Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundull View Post

I'm having trouble on the Wench Challenge for the helicopter pilot. I raise the box past 5 meters, but it still says I lost the wager. I am staying in-bounds. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I'm having trouble with mission. I have the 3 bunker busters and get to the bunker, but I don't have a laser designator and cannot call in bombs.

Hey Sundull! For the Wench Challenge, you have to stack and release the box. The easiest way is to pick up the box and move it outside the ring. Then, pick up a crate and put it inside the ring. Pick up the box and place it on top of the ring, release it, and just fly away. The challenge will then be completed. In order to beat higher levels, you'll need to stack crates on top of each other and then place the box on the top of the pile you make.

For the bunker buster, you are probably just not seeing it in your support cycle. Press up on your D-pad repeatedly to cycle through your supports, and you should eventually come to your Bunker Buster. The moment it's selected, hit A and pull and hold your right trigger. That should start the laser designation. Hold it on the target until you get a confirm.

Good luck!

-JR
post #123 of 145 Old 09-22-2008, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I tired the demo last night...BLAH!

The fact that they don't have right trigger gas and left trigger brake for vehicles just makes it 10 times worse.
post #124 of 145 Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRic View Post

I tired the demo last night...BLAH!

The fact that they don't have right trigger gas and left trigger brake for vehicles just makes it 10 times worse.

+1 First thing I thought when getting in the vehicle right at the start of the demo. Disappointed with the controls/graphics. Was expecting a lot more, loved the first game on the PS2. Actually got kinda bored with the demo pretty quickly.
post #125 of 145 Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'd say the driving mechanics is on par with GTAIV. I'm not sure if you noted that you can also use the left stick for gas.

-JR
post #126 of 145 Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 AM

Well I finished the game finally... put about 40-50 hours into it so I'd say I got my monies worth. However all the glitches and lack of real content will see this game being quickly traded in after I try for a few missing achievements.

Decent game overall, but very unpolished. Glitches are rampant a ruined a lot of the fun, plus many of the contracts feel like filler: lots of racing/delivery and outpost missions. However blowing stuff up never got old so that was enjoyable.

7 out of 10
post #127 of 145 Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I ran into some major glitches last night with supply deliveries. I lost about 5 helicopters, a motorcycle, and a few weapon deliveries. It would look like he was coming and then would just disappear when he got close and no item

One thing I really miss about the last game and would probably be my biggest complaint yet as to why this game feels a little weak is that there are no real boss fights. In the last game you were delivered to a separate island or something to capture some of the major HVT's. So far I have not seen anything like that and I that really broke up the monotony and added a fun factor to the last game.

In the plus column the Fuel Air RPG is freakin sweet!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #128 of 145 Old 09-23-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

I'd say the driving mechanics is on par with GTAIV. I'm not sure if you noted that you can also use the left stick for gas.

-JR

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to try this tonight.
post #129 of 145 Old 09-23-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I just beat it today and still have contracts to finish. Was fun as hell with co-op. Nuclear the rest of the way.

The 5.0 is here
post #130 of 145 Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRic View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to try this tonight.

Sure thing. The left trigger is the "e-brake" which is pretty much all I every use for braking. You can brake over gas to slide and keep up your speed.

-JR
post #131 of 145 Old 09-24-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

Sure thing. The left trigger is the "e-brake" which is pretty much all I every use for braking. You can brake over gas to slide and keep up your speed.

-JR

I loved this part of the game. Hitting the emergency brake throws you into a slide. If you do it right, just enough brake, you can take corners at high speeds and keep going after the turn at high speeds. Felt and controlled awesome on the screen.

post #132 of 145 Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I loved this part of the game. Hitting the emergency brake throws you into a slide. If you do it right, just enough brake, you can take corners at high speeds and keep going after the turn at high speeds. Felt and controlled awesome on the screen.

I agree! It's tough on the crotchrockets to get that perfect slide going, but when you do it's pretty sweet.

I still enjoy strapping C4 packs to a dirtbike or crotchrocket and hauling full speed at an enemy or barracks - jumping off in mid slide and detonating it when that bike reaches them. Good stuff.

-JR
post #133 of 145 Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I rented it from Blockbuster for 5 days, I'm really glad I didn't buy it. I thoroughly enjoyed the 1st one on the PS2, but this one just has too many issues. It has got to be one of the top 5 glitchiest games I've ever played.

Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever.
Choosing sides is so...last gen.
360/PS3/Wii/HD DVD/Blu-Ray/Plasma/PJ - Too much money
Not having to choose - Priceless
post #134 of 145 Old 09-28-2008, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

-JR

Maybe you can with the full game but I couldn't with the demo. (shrug)
post #135 of 145 Old 09-29-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:

-JR

If you mean they both use "Y" to get in and out, you'd be right. Other than that, there's no similarity in the driving mechanics.

You can only use the left stick for gas in the tracked vehicles, and in those it's mandatory.
post #136 of 145 Old 10-19-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Thread back from the dead

So, I remember i tried this game back when the demo came out, but I tried it on the PS3. I hated it. Total let down. Bad controls, aiming was bad, vehicles felt odd, and the voice acting was ....ick

So, I get the chance to swap a game with a buddie of mine, and i took another stab at this game, 360 this time, not that it matters mind you.

First couple of hours, still hated it. All the original complaints still there. I swear to god I got so fed up with the aiming and trying to do the practice drills in the beginning I darn near tossed the stick at the plasma....but I never.

About 20 hours later, I'm hooked. Can't put it down. Sure, the aiming isn't great, there are a few bugs but for a mindless "blow everything up" type of game it is tons of fun. And, once you stop playing with the bad vehicles in the beginning, some of the other stuff works great. This is the first time in a long time that helicopters and tanks actually control like they should. I've actually had quite a few dog fights in heli's against other heli's with no issues. try that in GTA4. And the amount of vehicles is mindblowing, not to mention there are multiple ways to use them with mounted guns or missles on board.

And the world is HUGE. Even before you open up the other side of the map, it's bloody huge! Sure GTA4 had lighting, weather, and some other stuff to make the world more lively and real, but I swear it seems merc's is a LOT bigger.

As for aiming, as you start to find better guns, it becomes less of an issue. And of course, use more bombs, well, precision isn't needed.

Solid 7.8-8 /10 for me. no idea on multiplayer, as I don't care for MP at all. But for a single player purchase, you'll get a solid 40 hours out of it for sure.
post #137 of 145 Old 10-19-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Thread back from the dead

So, I remember i tried this game back when the demo came out, but I tried it on the PS3. I hated it. Total let down. Bad controls, aiming was bad, vehicles felt odd, and the voice acting was ....ick

So, I get the chance to swap a game with a buddie of mine, and i took another stab at this game, 360 this time, not that it matters mind you.

First couple of hours, still hated it. All the original complaints still there. I swear to god I got so fed up with the aiming and trying to do the practice drills in the beginning I darn near tossed the stick at the plasma....but I never.

About 20 hours later, I'm hooked. Can't put it down. Sure, the aiming isn't great, there are a few bugs but for a mindless "blow everything up" type of game it is tons of fun. And, once you stop playing with the bad vehicles in the beginning, some of the other stuff works great. This is the first time in a long time that helicopters and tanks actually control like they should. I've actually had quite a few dog fights in heli's against other heli's with no issues. try that in GTA4. And the amount of vehicles is mindblowing, not to mention there are multiple ways to use them with mounted guns or missles on board.

And the world is HUGE. Even before you open up the other side of the map, it's bloody huge! Sure GTA4 had lighting, weather, and some other stuff to make the world more lively and real, but I swear it seems merc's is a LOT bigger.

As for aiming, as you start to find better guns, it becomes less of an issue. And of course, use more bombs, well, precision isn't needed.

Solid 7.8-8 /10 for me. no idea on multiplayer, as I don't care for MP at all. But for a single player purchase, you'll get a solid 40 hours out of it for sure.

If you were able to get past all of Fiona's training missions, two thumbs up! I could never get those things completed.

I finally finished the game, but if you're looking for some coop gaming, let me know, it'd be fun to join you and play as the backup teammate!

-JR
post #138 of 145 Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

I'm about at the end. I have three missions left, and I'm just going through and finishing all the side-missions for each faction, as I'm making a stab at getting all shop items unlocked for the achievement. Multiplayer is a gas and one of the games strongest points...virtually every vehicle seats two players and most military vehicles has a gunner position. Some missions are LOTS easier when you have a person running the .50 cal, grenade launcher or recoillless while you drive. Since you can split up over a large area, you can cover a lot of ground...and your partner can revive you if you go down, like in Gears of War.

This is, by far, the buggiest game I've ever played on a console. But the bugs aren't serious enough for me to give up what I consider to be such a fun 'blow stuff up' game. Calling in a satellite strike or the Mother Of All Bombs is awesome. =)

Also, I'm experiencing one bug that's actually beneficial: somehow one of the Chinese missions has set it so that whenever I pass a place with a toolbox of spare parts, I auto-open it. I've nearly unlocked all the PMC items in the store because of this (which is why I'm bothering with the achievement). I think I have 1 PMC item, 3 pirate, 1 Allies and 1 Chinese item left, which I'll get for completing the remaining missions (or for the pirates, side-missions).
post #139 of 145 Old 11-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

For anyone who hasnt bought this yet target will have this on sale for $39 on black friday.
post #140 of 145 Old 03-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Played a little of this Co-op over the weekend and had a lot of fun. Yeah, it's a flawed game in many ways, but it is still fun to blow stuff up.

You can find this game new for as little as $10 now. It was $10 at Best Buy, but you had to use a "rewards zone" card to get the price at checkout.

I tried some of the cheat codes, but still can't seem to use the nuke. I guess you still need to go through all the missions to use it?

Anyway, for $10 or $20 I think this game is lots of fun.
post #141 of 145 Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cler View Post

Played a little of this Co-op over the weekend and had a lot of fun. Yeah, it's a flawed game in many ways, but it is still fun to blow stuff up.

You can find this game new for as little as $10 now. It was $10 at Best Buy, but you had to use a "rewards zone" card to get the price at checkout.

I tried some of the cheat codes, but still can't seem to use the nuke. I guess you still need to go through all the missions to use it?

Anyway, for $10 or $20 I think this game is lots of fun.

I still can't get the nukes even after finishing the game. I don't think that cheat works or if there is another cheat to unlock it.

The 5.0 is here
post #142 of 145 Old 03-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I was wondering if you maybe had to have a larger fuel capacity in order to use the nukes or something?
post #143 of 145 Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 AM

I've been having a lot of fun with this game over the last month or so. Encountered a few glitches -- in mp teammate got stuck in a building and occasionally resource pickup helicopter will just hang over the fuel tank -- and they can be annoying but haven't been frequent enough to be game breaking. Pretty sure you can find it for <$20 and I would enthusiastically recommend it.
post #144 of 145 Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
theres always a side mission where you have to destroy a building, but every time, i can just walk through the walls of the building, and shooting it with rockets or whatever is pointless, they just fly through the invisible building.

havent ran into anything else like that though, great game for $10

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #145 of 145 Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cler View Post

I was wondering if you maybe had to have a larger fuel capacity in order to use the nukes or something?

This may be correct, I've also finished the game and seem to recall that I could use the nuke afterwards. I'll check when I get home!

-JR
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page