Anybody else peeing their pants for IL-2 Birds of Prey?? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 115 Old 08-13-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
That's good news, I doubted they wouldn't be there anyways since it made so little sense for them to not model the cockpits for German aircraft.

I needed more evidence than 1 French preview in a language no forum members could read, before I'd of given the rumor a second thought though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody not really enjoy the demo and are instead looking forward to Heroes over Europe?

PSN: moosemeister
XBOXlive: beilzebub
post #93 of 115 Old 08-15-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeiler View Post

Anybody not really enjoy the demo and are instead looking forward to Heroes over Europe?

Ugg take your HOE somewhere else please, the HOE does not belong in the same breath as BOP!
post #94 of 115 Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 AM

I was just kidding. HOE is for kindygartens

So i'm probably going to pick this up as well as the Saitek- just wondering if you are able to remap the buttons on the stick (looks like the L1/R1 are on the base of the stick)
Also how does the WEP work on the throttle lever?

post #95 of 115 Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Cant remap buttons as far as I know and WEP works when you have it set to full throttle, pull the throttle back to 95% to disengage WEP. IE you dont have to continue to hold the throttle like you do on the gamepad.
post #96 of 115 Old 08-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Does this become an issue? The fire button is RT on the controller, which looks like the throttle on the stick.

Also for anyone with both consoles, the ps3 version might be the one to get, as it doesn't suffer from the framerate drop when flying through downed enemys.

post #97 of 115 Old 08-22-2009, 09:28 AM

Loving the demo so far. Seems like the default settings for the realistic/sim mode should be tweaked. Because at first it appears to be anything but with the stalls/spins. Reducing the sensitivity helped a lot with the controller. I hear with a good stick it's not as much of an issue. Over on 1C, they are saying it uses the exact same flight model as the "1946" PC version. It's simply too easy to jerk a 1 cm stick to the max position. They confirmed that the missing audio cues for stalls are a demo issue. Unfortunately it seems as though the german cockpit issue is true, sort of. It will launch without them and the german cockpits will come as DLC. Very odd decision for a program with sim roots. I'm buying because I want to see more games with at least sim-like features on the 360.
post #98 of 115 Old 08-22-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer65 View Post

Unfortunately it seems as though the german cockpit issue is true, sort of. It will launch without them and the german cockpits will come as DLC.

Sounds like the devs realized that without the german cockpits their core audience would freak out. A true shame it'll be DLC, but that sounds like they can't make the original release time and will at least give it to the fans later. I'm fine with that - as long as it's free.

-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #99 of 115 Old 08-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

The demo completely turned me off to the game. I can deal with simplified controls and things, but they killed the realism since there's no limited ammo, no limited fuel, no way to set your convergence, etc. The damage model seems way worse than on the PC. Hopefully the real product will be better but I was really disappointed in the demo. The graphics, sound, and presentation are all light years better, but that doesn't mean anything when they butchered the core game.

Taylor34
post #100 of 115 Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 View Post

The demo completely turned me off to the game. I can deal with simplified controls and things, but they killed the realism since there's no limited ammo, no limited fuel, no way to set your convergence, etc. The damage model seems way worse than on the PC. Hopefully the real product will be better but I was really disappointed in the demo. The graphics, sound, and presentation are all light years better, but that doesn't mean anything when they butchered the core game.

Taylor34

I know where you're coming from. After many run throughs I finally deleted the demo last night. I'm going to wait on this one and see how others like the full game before purchasing. The exact things you're pointing out, as well as some other small factors (the gameplay is just a wee bit to frantic for me), has turned my buzzing excitement into a dull murmur.

I'm not giving up on the game, and from the Xbox side it really is probably going to be the best "flight" game to be released of it's type, but for now I'm going to hold off on pre-ordering.

I'm hoping for the best on this game, so come the second week of September I'm going to be eagerly awaiting some reviews!

-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #101 of 115 Old 09-01-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Not that I am big on reviews, I respect ign the most and they gave it an 8.6 with Editors Choice!
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1020377p1.html

Cant wait, according to gamestop this comes out EARLY this Thursday the 3rd!
post #102 of 115 Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Hmmm... my friend told me it was coming out today (the 2nd)... Gah! Which one is it? Ehhh, I'll be by a gamestop so I will just go check it out. Sounds like a few here are waiting to hear what others think about it. Will I be the poor bastard that picks it up? Maybe ..... maybe.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #103 of 115 Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

I picked this lovely up today! It is excellent and well worth the $49.99!
post #104 of 115 Old 09-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Bass Enabler

If you have some time later, I'd love to read a mini review from you, l88bastard.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #105 of 115 Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

If you have some time later, I'd love to read a mini review from you, l88bastard.

I RETRACT MY FORMER STATEMENT

Meh, im half way done with campaign and the honeymoon is over for me. Much like a beautiful woman with no brain, this game gets dull quick once you find out she is riddled with STDs (WHAT lol).

My first gripe is the worst and a deal breaker for me, unfortunately I already spent $49.99 for the game and $130 for the Ace Edge, so I have been completely burned. Joystick support sucks, really the small amount of deadzone is just annoying and you really don't pick up on it with the demo, but given the full game and a lengthy amount of time, the frustration really adds up, here is my full take on it

The jumpyness and deadzone are driving me crazy. I have the ace edge and have made it into the American campaing on simulator setting and I think that I don't want to continue playing the game anymore because the jumpyness and deazone is just too frustrating.

Im not trying to compare it to the PC version, but the PC version is miles better in terms of accuracy and lining up precise deflection shots....I dont know if its because I use the CH fighterstick on the PC and am used to the nimble accuracy of that stick or what...but I have tried to use the ace edge on the pc (trying to get more used to the stick in preparation for BOP) but I did not like the way it played on the PC version at all because it is very very stiff.

I had an aviator previously and liked the lighter feeling of that stick, but the jumpyness and deadzone were still there driving me crazy, which is why I got the ace, but it appears that things are not better and infact worse with the ACE because it is stiffer.

I seem to have more enjoyment when I play this console version with the gamepad (smaller deadzone and less jumpyness) because the game appears to really have been made for the game pad.....and that really sucks.

So, I have switched over and unplugged the ace edge and been playing with the controller, which is way easier and more precise to fly with...yea thanks for making me waste $130 1c, "simulator," setting my ass!!

So after playing for a while I can say that at about the halfway mark, I have no desire to play the game anymore....it gets boring and tedious (big wave after wave after wave of enemy) and that is funny because I can play the pc version all day long! They just filled up the sky with soo much random action that you actually feel useless and for the most part you are as it seems like a majority of the missions will just end in successful completion wheater you really contribute or not, the enemy planes have weak AI, they just perform simple turns and sweeps and the missions are really just boring now. Like I said, beautiful visuals, but you get over them quickly and then your left with a mediocre amount of real substance or a pregnant ****** that has lost its looks an now just makes you wanna change your name and flee the country. Its just too dumbed down, its annoying.

I knew it was not going to be the PC version, but I am so spoiled with having all of the goodies (track ir, precise flightstick, pedals, throttle, keyboard, and higher resolution, actual take off and landings, the feel of a real simulator and not some half ass kiddie game) that I cannot hack it with a game pad or a deadzone ridden flightsick experience....its just too sub par!

In closing, rent this sucker and by God dont waste the money on a flight stick and if you do get an aviator for forty bucks or buy my ace edge off of ebay when I put it up, lol.

In closing, if they FIX the joystick deadzone problem, then maybe it would be worth it, but it doesnt look like they are so buyer beware.
post #106 of 115 Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

This guy also gave it a review that I agree with

I have to aire my own personal opinions on this game after, having been an avid fan on Oleg Maddox from the beginning, purchasing all his PC work & addons, I feel I am entitled to a say re: this console attempt.
Being a lucky owner of PS3 & 360, I have been so looking forward to this game for what seems an age. I remember reading the promises & words like "realism", "sim" etc etc. This was supposed to be everything that is IL-2, coming to console but I have to say, it couldn't be further set apart & in my opinion, the only thing that seperates this from the highly arcade "Blazing Angels 2" is no floating 'powerups' in the sky.

Allow me to backup my opinion & compare BoP to the IL-2 series.
The last PC offering "IL-2 Sturmovik 1946" has over 250 playable aircraft, ALL WITH COCKPITS (so Anoton's explanation of money trade offs to leave out German Cockpits from a paultry stable of 40 aircraft of which only around 12 have cockpits, is a bit baffling, especially when you compare the price differences between these titles), a fantastic immersion is always felt in 1946 in the most simplistic of ways; taking off for example before each mission. Why on earth has the player been denied the option to take off from his airfield with his squadron? Where's the immersion in being "thrown" in the air with no background of the mission, very little target information etc.
Speaking of immersion, I was looking forward to flying & gunning from the Blenheim bomber as I was told by the booklet aswell as reviews that the camera cycles from view to view & incorporates a gunners eye view. Now forgive me here but I was assuming that at the very least, the gunning could be done from his viewpoint but in third person???? How is this immersive? How is this realistic? How is this even bearly enjoyable?
1946 will put the player from position to position within the aircraft at the touch of a single key & with no expense spared, beautifully rendered bomber cockpit, bomb aimer station & gun pod etc.
1946 incorporates an extremely powerful yet such a simple-to-use mission editor whereby the player can create his or her own missions by use of waypoints, & capping it all off by dropping in static cameras in which to view the action after the mission (or even during). Have a look at some of these on youtube, they're incredible & all done ingame.
Now I fully realise the dominant numbers of the console market have no wish for such a tool but .... not even having a flyby view or any options for the player to view a fantastic dogfight that he or she has just taken part in?? Come on!!!
Flight controls. I bought the AV8R-02 especially for the 360 version of the game I purchased (after playtesting both 360 & PS3 demo versions to death) &, like many threads state here, the dead zone is enormous & completely unplayable.
Also, Playing in realistic mode & reaching for the 'padlock enemy' camera button, you actually have to take your hands OFF the flight controls when viewing the enemy. Thinking a simple remapping would obviously solve this, I'm so disappointed to find that even this simple yet crucial task is denied to the player.
I'm fully aware that there has to be sacrafices made to incorporate a console version of a FlightSim but all the things I have stated HAVE BEEN DONE BEFORE ON CONSOLE. Operation Flashpoint on the original Xbox was a PC port & kept the fantastic mission editor intact, the incredible & now respected & highly under rated OVER G FIGHTERS for 360 enabled to player to relive his or her dogfights in multiple camera views aswell as incorporating great cockpits for each one of its aircraft & obviously allowed for customizable controls aswell as allowing the player the chance to taxi, take off & land.
The online area of this is a joke, I'm sorry but there's no other way to describe a ranked player dogfight where you clearly have such an edge over your opponent (or vica versa) & he or she can bearly fly from the direct result of your gunning. he can bearly stay in the air but then he stalls near the ground, goes into terra ferma & you are NOT REWARDED THE KILL???? So I am clearly outmatched, smoke pouring from my Hurricane, can't see out of the cockpit visor (obviously not a German aircraft or a Blenheim then); what's going to stop me from heading south & ploughing into the ground? there's no points loss & hey, I get to start far above my oppenent in a nice shiney new plane!
I've not even made any intentions to go into the anoraky bits like the spits in BoB actually being Mk.Vb's & the hilarity of the P-51 cockpit actually being a P-47 because those elements don't detract from the consoles gameplay. This title could have been so much more but once again, there is a developer out there that thinks that they have to 'dumb' games down for the console generation.
I should've trusted my instincts I guess when there was no Oleg Maddox or Maddox games label attached to this title.
One of your forum members has summed this console 'GAME' in 2 glorious sentences.
"Gameplay 5/10, Graphics 9/10. It's like a beautiful but very dumb woman"
Here's a link to just one video I made using IL-2 Sturmovik 1946's ingame cameras. Imagine if you could do this & view your dogfights in such a way in BoP. It is however supposedly the next generation of gaming & IL-2 has been around for so long!
post #107 of 115 Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I figured some things out. I usually play my xbox on my computer monitor, which is a gateway xhd3000, well the scaler in my monitor induces lag when your not playing at native resolution of 2560x1600, and that lag combined with the minimal amount of deadzone made playing this game unbearable!

Also, I was pretty uncomfortable playing with my ace edge and throttle on my desk, they sat too high and my posture was much like somebody riding a Chopper motorcycle, lol.

So, I played on my Samsung 1080p 40" HDTV instead and man what a world of difference! Also, I made myself a makeshift little cockpit on my couch and the game is an absolute blast to play now...I just played multiplayer dog fighting for the last three hours!!

Now I wanna break out my Sanyo Z4 and put this thing up to like 120," then position my lazyboy in front of that and really make a more confortable cockpit area for it...problem is I dont have the space in my house to do this

So yes, I apologize for the up and down posts, but after giving this title a second and third chance, I am very very pleased with it!
post #108 of 115 Old 09-07-2009, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Good to hear that you are enjoying the game now. I was bummed out when I read your previous review, but now I'm excited again. I looked for the game at my Local Best Buy on Saturday, but could not find it. Where did you find it? Also, where can I find the Ace Edge controller?

Thanks.
post #109 of 115 Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vedder View Post

Good to hear that you are enjoying the game now. I was bummed out when I read your previous review, but now I'm excited again. I looked for the game at my Local Best Buy on Saturday, but could not find it. Where did you find it? Also, where can I find the Ace Edge controller?

Thanks.

I got the game at Gamestop and you can find the ace edge on amazon.com or ebay and sometimes even craigslist! I have seen them go for as low as $60!

If you love dogfighting then this game is a must have! The single player is beautiful, but the AI is pretty weak which can make the SP tedious at times...yes the game has its faults and multi is not perfect with the lack of german cockpits (which we have been told will come in DLC soon!) and the lack of kill registering if your quary bails out or crashes, and the inability to join games in progress (hopefully they allow this!), and the bit of deadzone which is not soo bad on a good tv with good response time.

However, this game does many things brilliantly well, the sense of speed, the visuals, the realistic flight modeling, the adrenaline rush from shooting down an elusive enemy, and for $49.99 it really is a bargain!

If you get this game you need a flightstick, period, but make sure that you have a comfortable setup with it otherwise it will drive you nuts!
post #110 of 115 Old 09-17-2009, 06:39 AM

The Siatek Aviator just dropped to $40 onAmazon.

It's showing up as $37 from "Super Deal" with $8.40 shipping but on the right side under more buying choices you can get it from Amazon which is eligable for free shipping. Looks like it'll be 1-2 weeks before you get it.
post #111 of 115 Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is there a strong multiplayer community for this game? I would think that it would be rather small as I don't think many consol players will have the patience for this type of game. But at the same time, I would guess that the guys who are playing are very dedicated.

I would mostly be buying this game for its multiplayer (although I would still play through the campaign,) so I just wanted to check to make certain that the multiplayer aspect is alive and well.

Thanks.
post #112 of 115 Old 09-19-2009, 10:25 AM

Liked: 11
It can be a challenge finding a MP game sometimes, but I think it is deceiving as to the number of people that are actually playing. Active games don't show up on the list, so it can seem as if no one is playing while in actuality there can be a number of games in progress. Just host a room, and usually 5 or 6 people will show up in short order.

It's also much easier to find an arcade game (*blech*) than it is to find realistic or sim. It has picked up somewhat in the past week too. My suspicion is that a number of people were focusing on campaign in order to unlock all of the planes. IMHO, once you get the Spit Mk IX in Sicily, you've got all you need.
post #113 of 115 Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

For anyone who didn't pick this up yet, Amazon has it for sale for $19.99 (before shipping).

-JR

post #114 of 115 Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Bass Enabler

O rly? Anyone still play this at all? Is the online area still active?

Lolz....with ME2, Dead Space and now BFBC2 demo I will probably not have time for it. For $20 its hard to pass....

Damnit! I have gift cards for Amazon....what the hell.

EDIT: FYI guys.... this is on sale from Amazon but it doesn't appear to be in stock. Shipping quotes say, "Usually shipped in 1-2 months."

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #115 of 115 Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

O rly? Anyone still play this at all? Is the online area still active?

Lolz....with ME2, Dead Space and now BFBC2 demo I will probably not have time for it. For $20 its hard to pass....

Damnit! I have gift cards for Amazon....what the hell.

EDIT: FYI guys.... this is on sale from Amazon but it doesn't appear to be in stock. Shipping quotes say, "Usually shipped in 1-2 months."

Whoopsy, I didn't even check for availability! My mistake.

I'm with you Scott, I'm playing ME2, DA:O, Dead Space impossible, MW2, and now the BFBC2 demo, so another game would probably be silly.

But like you said, for $20, it's hard to pass up! I guess I won't grab it from Amazon, since 1-2 months could mean anything, and by then it could be $19.99 in a local B&M.

-JR

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page