Elder Scrolls V - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2490 Old 08-15-2009, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope they're working on ES5 and this release is a fake. I just bought the GOY edition of Oblivion a month ago and I've spent hours on it and am loving it. I figure this would kill my time until Modern Warfare 2 and then hopefully MW2 would keep me entertained until a late 2010 release of ES5. Maybe that won't be the case anymore....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2490 Old 08-16-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Spent about 14 months solid playing Oblivion on the 360. Perfect mix of sandbox and mission based gameplay.

Fallout 3 has occupied far too much of my time too , an amazing game. I don't get quite the same desire to wander off and explore in FO3 but I'm betting the sci fi guns and violence theme has made it way more popular than Oblivion.

I do feel there was more to do in Oblivion.

digital film janitor
post #33 of 2490 Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I spent probably an untold amount of hours in ES4 and FO3 and being married with kids they seem to be the only type of games I can really get into that occupy my alone time at night lol. Same with Kotor 1 and 2 and Fable. I still haven't played Mass Effect or Fable 2 because frankly I've spent way to much time with Fallout 3. I love that game.
post #34 of 2490 Old 08-17-2009, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand that some of you like the Fantasy setting of Elder Scrolls but F3 was in no way, shape or form a failure beyond your own tastes.

I have the curse of being both a Fallout and Elder Scrolls addict. It would be horrible for them to abandon Elder Scrolls even if temporarily. I understand that Beth is trying to get their feet "wet" with new types of games but ES deserves constant attention. This is one of the series that literally took the RPG crown from Japan.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #35 of 2490 Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

huge fan of ES. Was excited for another. Hope they don't waste time on a MMO as I have zero interest in another boring MMO.

Loved F3, but ready for a proper rpg now

Bethesda is making an Elder Scrolls MMO. What they decide to call it is unknown.
post #36 of 2490 Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cell View Post

Bethesda is making an Elder Scrolls MMO. What they decide to call it is unknown.

Please no. They strong point of Elder Scrolls is the epic storyline. That dissolves in multiplayer.
post #37 of 2490 Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

I want to see the story carried on too. Still bumed they never offered an online deathmatch/arena for ES4. this could be awesome.
post #38 of 2490 Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I would be shocked if there is not an ESV eventually. Oblivion sold well and they were one of the early successes for DL content. (Horse armor even sold!)

One on hand I see the ES world having plenty of story and content for an MMO... but on the other I cringe at the thought of Bethesda getting caught up in that genre just now. Sooo many MMOs have failed in the last five years its not funny, and on top of that the business model for them in kinda in flux right now. The biggest gorwing market is the Asian one with pay for content instead of subscription.

IMHO Bethesda should use the engine they have now and remake Morrowind. It really did not get as much exposure to console players as Oblivion and was an amazing game.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #39 of 2490 Old 08-18-2009, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan View Post

Please no. They strong point of Elder Scrolls is the epic storyline. That dissolves in multiplayer.

I feel the same way; I've never really cared for MMOs as I find the experience to be too diluted compared to a really good single player adventure. Games like Oblivion, Fallout and going back further Bioware's KOTOR were memorable because of their stories and the varied activities that the player could experience. A lot of that would go out the window with an MMO, not to mention the possibility that we'd be nickel and dimed for content and the right to go online in the first place.

Bethesda got its rep with solid single player games, I hope they don't forget that.
post #40 of 2490 Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 AM

I wouldn't be suprised if their next game was an Elder Scrolls MMO with some sort of natal/ps motion tie in.

PSN: moosemeister
XBOXlive: beilzebub
post #41 of 2490 Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

hmmm... ES5. Really cant wait for it to come out. Ill buy it day one. However, Running through oblivion for the first time. ive got about 50 more gates to close, around 50 ruins to explore, not to mention the caves and the forts. A whole assasins guild thing to do. a theifs guild thing to finish. And have thought about a second character i want to run through this game. Ill be busy until the end of 2010 probably. Oh did i mention shivering isles? aint done that one yet either. Guess mid 2011 ill be done with this game.

Oblivion is awesome! the only game i enjoy watching the wife play. "Health! health honey!! Health!!" Ha Ha... Cant wait until tommorrow. My turn to play.
post #42 of 2490 Old 08-19-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
They will make an ES5. The game pictured may not be it but it's way too much of a money maker for them to stop. Heck, it might not even be called ES5 but it'll feature identical story type/gameplay.

Personally I wouldn't mind adding co-op or multiplayer of some sort, but make SURE it doesn't detract from the story.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #43 of 2490 Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post

They will make an ES5. The game pictured may not be it but it's way too much of a money maker for them to stop. Heck, it might not even be called ES5 but it'll feature identical story type/gameplay.

Personally I wouldn't mind adding co-op or multiplayer of some sort, but make SURE it doesn't detract from the story.

couch co-op would be a good thing if implemented correctly. Please add in some pets and a way to buy all the buildings in the citys. A way to build my own house would be good. Especially if im able to continue to expand on it as the game progresses so i have something to do with all the money i collect. This way money doesnt become meaningless at a certain point in the game. Start with a little shack and turn it into a castle with guards and worker bees and such.
post #44 of 2490 Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanwinter View Post

Start with a little shack and turn it into a castle with guards and worker bees and such.

and a harem...

digital film janitor
post #45 of 2490 Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

and a harem...

That is coming in Fable III.
post #46 of 2490 Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM

This is a little reassuring. Bethesda is already backpedaling and clarifying.

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/0...-game-mmo-etc/
post #47 of 2490 Old 08-20-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappleby285 View Post

This is a little reassuring. Bethesda is already backpedaling and clarifying.

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/0...-game-mmo-etc/

Clarifying, at any rate;
“Don’t look for a new Elder Scrolls game in the near future.”

This is actually in line with a comment they made earlier this year where they let it be known there would be another Fallout before we saw another Elder Scrolls. Of course, with Fallout Vegas in the pipeline for 2010/11, this pretty much means ES V won't be out any time soon.

If I had to guess, I'd say (sob!) 2012, as a launch title for the NextBox.

Of course, one can always dream of an *Old* Elder Scrolls game getting remade for 360...
post #48 of 2490 Old 10-24-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Its coming.
Set 200 years after the Oblivion Crisis.
And to tide us over:
http://kotaku.com/5388787/elder-scro...lder-scrolls-v

The cover pick alone is interesting.
Hopefully ESV will let us fly like Morrowind did.
post #49 of 2490 Old 10-24-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Its coming.
Set 200 years after the Oblivion Crisis.
And to tide us over:
http://kotaku.com/5388787/elder-scro...lder-scrolls-v

The cover pick alone is interesting.
Hopefully ESV will let us fly like Morrowind did.

Finally some positive news!! The art on the cover looks fantastic.
post #50 of 2490 Old 10-24-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Seems to me that the book series is setting us up for 4 player co-op adventuring. Read the description!

http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-...5963212&sr=8-3

Quote:

Four decades after the Oblivion Crisis, Tamriel is threatened anew by an ancient and all-consuming evil. It is Umbriel, a floating city that casts a terrifying shadow–for wherever it falls, people die and rise again.

And it is in Umbriel’s shadow that a great adventure begins, and a group of unlikely heroes meet. A legendary prince with a secret. A spy on the trail of a vast conspiracy. A mage obsessed with his desire for revenge. And Annaig, a young girl in whose hands the fate of Tamriel may rest . . . .

Based on the award-winning The Elder Scrolls, The Infernal City is the first of two exhilarating novels following events that continue the story from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, named 2006 Game of the Year.

post #51 of 2490 Old 10-25-2009, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

4 player coop?
Possible.
On one hand, the ES series has always been single-player.
On the other hand, Oblivion had the followers and Fallout the companions, so they may be structuring the game around a team, where the player controls one and friends or the computer control the rest...
...or it just might be that the book structure needed a few more characters. ;-)

I wouldn't read too much into it; the Halo books have always featured other spartans, while the games, so far haven't.
Main thing is: there is a future to Tamriel and ESV is a-coming.
I'm hoping for fall 2010.
(earliest they could squeeze it out, I think.)
post #52 of 2490 Old 10-25-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Been playing Borderlands with a lot of friends this week. I would kill for a 4 player co-op ES game.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #53 of 2490 Old 10-25-2009, 07:17 AM

Yeah I have been playing Borderlands also. And if they can keep the deeper storylines and more robust rpg elements of ES and add co-op that would be awesome.
post #54 of 2490 Old 10-25-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

How accessible is Borderlands for non-shooter fans?
Is it Closer to Fallout3 or something like Halo or Gears?
(In other words, is it an RPG with guns or a shooter with leveling?)
post #55 of 2490 Old 10-25-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd say shooter with leveling.

The previous post may contain spoilers, which will make the post less aerodynamic and increase handling at high speeds.
post #56 of 2490 Old 10-25-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i'd say a shooter with leveling BUT, if you're high enough level you could ALMOST get by with using just the bird (as the hunter) or just the turret/shield (as the soldier) or even the phasewalk defense and elemental effects (as the siren), and really, you could play this way IF you were playing in a group, you may have issues playing alone if you're not wanting to play as a "shooter"

i think behind the scenes there may be a d&d dice roll for critical hits and such, but nothing like fallout with vats, or mass effect where you really dont have to aim when you shoot.

i think both elements of the game work together REALLY well together, but i really enjoy shooters, and i also really enjoy oblivion/mass effect/ deus ex / diablo / too human, etc.

all in all the game is much better than i could have anticipated.

i really really hope there is an ESV and that we dont have to wait too long.... i could live with an amazing single player experience, but 4 player coop would just be amazing... they could even use the guild wars model with "main towns" having 100's of people, for weapons training and such, and then when you leave town, it's just you and your 3 other coop friends.... a quasi instanced MMO

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #57 of 2490 Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I will not nor will I ever purchase a MMO RPG

I have no interest in any bethesda game being co-op either and I'm usually all about co-op. They have a formula to their games that just works, and I think they have been the best games this generation and certainly the best bang per buck games to date

If it ain't broken...DON'T FIX IT'
post #58 of 2490 Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i think the single player model is fading for a large number of users.... any game should have the option for coop, even if the cutscene/story has to be toned down for the coop experience, you can still have the full experience in single player and you dont have to whine about the addition of coop (not a jab at you, just in general)... imagine how much better fable 2 would have been if the coop was given to us as promised (not some broken, screen sharing henchman gimmick)... or take mass effect for example, you're always toting 3 players around with you... would you really rather rely on the AI vs your friends? mass effect would have been a much better game (which was already amazing IMO) with coop.

a very large portion of players and customers want coop, if it doesnt affect the single player experience, why not broaden your customer base? honestly i will buy ESV either way, but these days i'm specifically checking reviews on co-optimus because frankly i typically have a better time in coop.

borderlands and fallout are very similar and completely different in their own right, but i'm having much more fun with borderlands.... and i WAS the guy with hundreds of hours in ES3, ES4, ETC

ES4 already had scaled difficulty when you swapped difficulty levels on the fly.... it wouldnt be hard to implement a scaled difficulty for multiple players (like borderlands does).

and while i did say it would be ok for ES5 to be somewhat instanced (just large, bustling, busy cities where you could show off or trade weapons and gear) it doesn't HAVE to be that way.... but i was just saying, if they have parties of 4, these little towns are basically your lobby for matchmaking (and trading of course)... when you leave the town/city, matchmaking is complete, and you're in a normal coop game with whomever is in your party.

and to explain a little more for FJ as far as how much of a shooter/rpg borderlands is...

Halo - Bioshock - Borderlands - Mass Effect - Fallout 3 - Oblivion
(Shooter)-----------------------------------------------------------(RPG)

of course halo has no rpg elements, and oblivion has no real shooter elements (unless you want to count archery/spellcasting )

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #59 of 2490 Old 10-26-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'd love to see a border lands like ES-V with lots of spells/swords/bows/basic guns
post #60 of 2490 Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 AM

I'm one of those who would rather not have resources go into developing multiplayer aspects of any game I buy. It is fine to say it would be nice to have co-op that doesn't affect the single player experience. But I think that in most cases, developers only have so much money and time, and adding co-op will necessarily affect how much effort can go into creating the single player game.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page