Elder Scrolls V - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2490 Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
playing Oblivion for the first time now and really getting into it.

Looking forward to this one, here is the trailer, not sure if it posted yet:

XBL : lowgn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2490 Old 12-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Do you know for sure if they are using the same engine?

Not for sure, but they've been using the same Gamebryo engine for Oblivion and Fallout since 2002's The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. After Fallout Vegas's huge success, even thought it wasn't in release condition and basically a BETA, I don't see why they'd change.

The also haven't released engine fixes for Oblivion or both Fallout games engine issues, just scripting fixes.
post #93 of 2490 Old 12-12-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post
LOL, NO THANKS

No more Bethsada games until they get a new engine. Fool me once...
http://twitter.com/#!/Bethblog/status/14010984884604929
Quote:
Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!

xbox live gt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 2490 Old 12-12-2010, 07:02 PM

That's a very welcome surprise!

I'm still in the wait and see camp, but it's a much better deal already.
post #95 of 2490 Old 12-12-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Awesome they are using a new engine (it seems). That is very good news! I hope it is advanced to get past the weird things in their past games. I skipped the Fallout games but Oblivion had a lot of issues that I hope are fixed.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #96 of 2490 Old 12-13-2010, 05:59 AM

Liked: 93
If they've moved away from Gamebryo, then the obvious, logical choice would be to move to Rage, which they own. That would of course only work if they started serious work on Elder Scrolls 5 after Fallout 3 was done and not before.
post #97 of 2490 Old 12-13-2010, 06:48 AM

Liked: 10
I loved ES4, but I would get so sucked in. I spent so many hours playing that I ended up selling it before I finished it because I was so annoyed at the amount of time I wasted. LOL. Maybe I should pick it up and finish it before next year.

xbox live:sixsec assassin
post #98 of 2490 Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 AM

Oblivion is one of the best games ever, same with Morrowind. They are always great to go back to.

Everyone needs to check out the PC full conversion 'Nehrim'. It's free, and it's amazing. It's even higher quality than Bethesda's work. Seriously do not miss it, especially if you're hyped for Skyrim.
post #99 of 2490 Old 12-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
11.11.11 less than 12 months away!!
post #100 of 2490 Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

If they've moved away from Gamebryo, then the obvious, logical choice would be to move to Rage, which they own. That would of course only work if they started serious work on Elder Scrolls 5 after Fallout 3 was done and not before.

Todd Howard has already come out and said they aren't using Id Tech 5. He said that Id Tech 5, while an amazing engine, might not be totally suitable for their more open, go anywhere style of games. I thought that was a kinda strange comment, because isn't Rage supposed to be a much more "open" game for Id ? I thought that was the whole idea behind designing the "Rage" engine. Having more open environments, instead of being stuck in corridors, etc, etc.

Anyways, supposedly Bethesda has a new engine, that they developed internally, that while based on gamebryo, is supposedly a HUGE improvement.

Again, I'm playing Fallout 3 right now, and quite honestly, I think it ranks right there with the original Bioshock as the best game of the current gen. I'm absolutely loving this game, and it's using the old crappy gamebryo engine. So, obviously, I'm hoping that this new engine brings a huge improvement to the overall playability and visuals, but I'm not expecting miracles from the hardware we are currently using (360's & PS3's). I think we know what the 360 and PS3 is capable of for the most part, and I'm not going to get the dream Todd Howard game that I want, until the Xbox 3 and PS4.

November 2013 can't get here soon enough....
post #101 of 2490 Old 12-14-2010, 12:39 PM

I can finally breathe!!

Hmm...well I was expecting this to be on a new console, but who knows when that will happen.
post #102 of 2490 Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

November 2013 can't get here soon enough....

Is that your best guess for the new consoles?
post #103 of 2490 Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfoster77 View Post

I loved ES4, but I would get so sucked in. I spent so many hours playing that I ended up selling it before I finished it because I was so annoyed at the amount of time I wasted. LOL. Maybe I should pick it up and finish it before next year.

Honestly as much as I love fantasy role playing games I've done myself more good in life by avoiding them. Everquest and WoW come to mind. I dumped some major time into Morrowind and look back on it as a highlight in gaming during the last decade - hell, even my wife reminisces about watching me play it and how beautiful it was along with the music.

Their games are just scary good and right up my alley. Bethesda games are like messing with heroin - if you are at all productive in life and have others who count on you, approach very cautiously. Give me this, Battlefield 2 on the PC and a modern remake of Twisted Metal 2 and I'm pretty much set for life in genres along with some occasional vintage MAME/console emulation. That would also see me unemployed and divorced in short order.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #104 of 2490 Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB View Post

Honestly as much as I love fantasy role playing games I've done myself more good in life by avoiding them. Everquest and WoW come to mind. I dumped some major time into Morrowind and look back on it as a highlight in gaming during the last decade - hell, even my wife reminisces about watching me play it and how beautiful it was along with the music.

Their games are just scary good and right up my alley. Bethesda games are like messing with heroin - if you are at all productive in life and have others who count on you, approach very cautiously. Give me this, Battlefield 2 on the PC and a modern remake of Twisted Metal 2 and I'm pretty much set for life in genres along with some occasional vintage MAME/console emulation. That would also see me unemployed and divorced in short order.

Gaming might a relatively cheap hobby in terms of money, but it's not the case with time.

post #105 of 2490 Old 12-15-2010, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post
Gaming might a relatively cheap hobby in terms of money, but it's not the case with time.

How true! I knew Bethesda would never drop ES. One of the most successful/popular RPG games ever created. Hoping for great things with this one!
post #106 of 2490 Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Damn...okay I'm in again...another 18 months on a single game

digital film janitor
post #107 of 2490 Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Lots of great information coming out about this game:

ENGINE:

In what is perhaps the best news about The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim so far, Bethesda confirmed via a tweet that the game's engine is "brand new ... and it's spectacular!"

That's meaningless info to most, but for those of us who follow games a little too closely, "brand new engine" is more significantly "not Gamebryo," the troubled, notoriously glitchy skeleton inside Bethesda products like Fallout 3 and a few other titles, including the recent Epic Mickey. Bethesda community man Nick Breckon later tweeted that the new engine was built internally by the company.

Will it still feel like a Bethesda game if faces don't occasionally turn inside out, dislodge from their bodies and fly around the room? We'll find out when Skyrim launches on Xbox 360, PC and PS3 on November 11.

History:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...ostPageIndex=1

Predictions:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1141456p1.html

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/30/15...olls-v-skyrim/

Cover:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-v-skyrim.aspx

Decrypted:

Decrypted, and freaking awesome.

The song from the announcement trailer, although many thought it was in English, it was not.

dovahkiin dovahkiin
naal ok zin los vahriin
wah dvn vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal
ahrk fin norok paal graan
fod nust hon zindro zaan
dovahkiin fah hin kogaan mu draal

ahrk fin kel lost prodah
do ved viing ko fin krah
tol fod zeymah fin kein meyz fundvn
alduin feyn do jun
krauziik vokun staadnau
voth aan bahlok wah diivon fin lein

Translates to.

"DRAGONBORN DRAGONBORN
BY HIS HONOR IS SWORN
TO KEEP EVIL FOREVER AT BAY
AND THE FIERCEST FOES ROUT
WHEN THEY HEAR TRIUMPH'S SHOUT
DRAGONBORN FOR YOUR BLESSING WE PRAY

AND THE SCROLLS HAVE FORTOLD
OF BLACK WINGS IN THE COLD
THAT WHEN BROTHERS WAGE WAR COME UNFURLED
ALDUIN BANE OF KINGS
ANCIENT EVIL UNBOUND
WITH A HUNGER TO SWALLOW THE WORLD"

Related Lore

The Nordic Akatosh is Alduin, a terrible, ravenous dragon who presides over the cycle of existence and devours the universe at intervals... recent days, it has been shown that the traditional Alduin can co-exist with the less adversarial Cyrodiilic interpretation of Akatosh the Time Dragon...

GI article comes out:

Recap of info courtesy of ShadowPampers

Ok, here is my recap of the info, hope it helps. This is not all the info, however.

On leveling:
Totally revamped, no more class selection at the start of the game, every skill you level contributes to your overall level. And each time you level you get extra health plus the ability to get either more health, magicka or stamina.
Each level also brings you perks. Cool abilities I guess like in Fallout 3.
Also, the leveling was moved from 1-25 or something like that to 1-50, but 50 is soft-capped, you just advance really slow after that.

On skills:
Mysticism is gone.
18 skills, down from 21 on Oblivion, and 27 on Morrowind.
Tries to accomodate players who want to specialize in a certain proffesion (like mage or thief), while at the same time giving room for players who like to do plenty of everything. They want to keep a special care so that this feels good, not prone to cheating and organic.

On the story and lore:
200 years after Oblivion. Set in Skyrim, a region north of the imperial city, where the Nords live.
The dragons are returning, as it was prophetized. You are gonna be trying to stop the wicked dragon god. You are a dragonborn, a dragon hunter. Your mentor is one of the last blade, voiced by some old dude from Shutter Island and Minority Report.
Also, there is a civil war, since the king is dead.
Enemies include were-yeti's, giant spider, dragons and other cool creatures.

On combat:
They want to make it more dynamic and tactical. You have to assign each hand with a function I think, either magic, 2 weapons, a weapon and a shield, etc.
You can also waste stamina by sprinting, allowing you to get access to tactical postitions.
Emphasis on really improving the combat this time around.
They are also putting care on how each weapon feel on your hand.

Other:
Third person view has been improved
5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff.

On quests:
Quests are much more dynamic now.
The quests are now more determined by how you build your chracter, individual actions and overall much more dynamic. Examples provided: If you are more of a magic user, some other mage may approach you who may not have had if you were just a melee character. Or if you killed some dude who owned a store that was gonna give you a quest, his sister would inherit the store, but she may resent you before giving you the quest. Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.
Also, it said that the quests you are given would be modified by how you have played (I guess like scaling the quests). For example, the location of a rescue mission would be determined by which location you have visited (it will try to give you a dungeon you haven't been in) and I guess also giving you appropiate enemies to your level.

I can add that there is an option for no HUD.

On Conversations: (thanks MrBig)
Conversations aren't done in a zoomed in static shot anymore.
Start a conversation with some and they will act like someone would in real life, looking at you occasionally and walking around a bit and also continue doing a task if they were doing one while talking.

On Weapon smithing:
Go to a forge and carve a new weapon out of red hot metal.

Recap from raphier

Dual-wielding: you have two hands now in combat and you can wield anything to both hands. You may assign a dagger on left hand and use a mace with right hand. The choice as they say is yours.

Duel: You may duel any NPC on the streets western style.

Inheritence: When you kill a shopkeeper, his/her family member will inherit the shop and will be angry about you, but stil give you missions.

Level-scaling: It is coming back

18 skills: supposedly even less skills to play with?

No mysticism

Perks: Rumored to be in Skyrim. I may have understood it wrong.

Boosts: Pick stamina, health, magic boosts on level up.

Enchanting: This skill makes a return.

"Radiant storytelling" or Level Scaling 2.0: "The game eventually logs a huge storehouse of knowledge about how you've played, and subsequently tailors content to your capabilities and experiences. Entering a city, a young woman might approach you and beg you to save her daughter from kidnappers. The game will look at the nearby dungeons you've explored, automatically set the mission in a place you've never visited, and designate opponents that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses."

Fast-Travel: As you probably expect, you can instantly travel to previous locations with a tap of the button

Sprinting: You can now sprint about!

Town visiting: You may do more in towns, like tailor weapons, cooking, farming or mining. Not much details about this or how detailed they are as jobs.

Yet another recap:

-A variation of level scaling.
-Dynamic Shadows
-Overhauled Combat-system
-Improved Faces/Improved Models Example: Faces have been dramatically overhauled. Characters now exhibit more emotion show of distinctions between different races and just plain looks better.
-Radiant AI
-Updated Engine Snow falls dynamically (not as a basic texture on the ground)
Trees and branches move independently with the wind
Water flows
-Randomly generated quests.
-Beards
-You can't run backwards as fast as you do forward.
-10 races to choose from (Holy crap thats a lot of races)
-confirmed creatures: zombies, skeletons, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, dragons, wolves, horses Elk, mammoth, saber-toothed cats
-presumeably open cities (as dragons can attack)
-Hud-free first-person view and improved third-person perspective
-very unique landscapes! Also unique dungeons! In other words, lots of uniqueness!
-Character creation improved, body features customizable
-2-handed weapons and duel wielding confirmed.
-Finishing moves, unique to each weapon and enemy you fight.
-Kids
-The game takes place 2 centuries after Oblivion
-Sprint is added !
- Dialog will pop up when you approach an enemy
- cooking/farming/mining/woodcutting/blacksmithing
-18 skills.
-Perk picking at every level-up
-5 Magic Schools Destruction Alteration Conjuration Restoration Illusion.

I loved the sections about the graphics!!!

"Only a few moments into observing The Elder Scrolls V in action, the game takes your breath away."

"The world of skyrim is meticulously detailed. The new engine offers unparalleled fidelity for an open world game. Every object in the game casts a perfectly formed shadow. Trees and branches move independently and water flows in swift currents, imparting a sense of energy and life to the world even when no other creatures stand nearby. Incredible draw distances allow players to look out from a mountain peak across vast distances and everything you see - from the lowest valley to the highest distant snowcapped rock - is traversable. Snow falls naturally onto stones and branches, appearing not as a preset texture but falling exactly as it would onto that object given is shape and size."

Map revealed in a video:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...of-skyrim.aspx

Alduins wall:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...-the-wall.aspx

Rumor:

Latest rumor is that the game looks something like this tech demo. No idea if this is true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4kyEW1zKAM
post #108 of 2490 Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Wow. nice write up!

I think the actor you said was in those movies is Max Von Sydow. I personally like him think this is a good choice for a voice actor.

If the game looks anything at all like that tech demo we are in for a real treat! This is the game I have been waiting for since playing Oblivion. I was really disappointed when Fallout NV was announced and not ESV. This is by far my most wanted game, which is saying a lot with Uncharted 3 and a plethora of other games coming in 2011 for both systems. The last game I was really excited about is Red Dead Redemption. I am ten times more excited for this game! I hope we get some really good previews at E3.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #109 of 2490 Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

One thing that made Oblivion so lasting for me was the plethora of side-missions; majority of which were more interesting than the main mission itself. Hopefully, TESV will be packed with plenty of side-missions and maybe even some recurring tasks you can do...

BTW the Chrome4 engine vid just blew my mind..WOW.
post #110 of 2490 Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for posting that info reaper.
If Bethesda is watching, Please include bushcraft skills and more emphasis on
setting up a base camp. hide/canvas tents, wood processing, bow/arrow making, Flint & Steel etc.
Trapping would be fun as well!

I'm frothing at the mouth for Elder Scrolls V!
post #111 of 2490 Old 01-13-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...interview.aspx

Interview with Todd Howard.

No Kinect support. Nothing major revealed, imo. Interesting anyway.
post #112 of 2490 Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

thanks for all of the info., reaper. morrowind is my all-time favorite rpg, so I'm hoping skyrim can approach that.

only concern: not super-psyched about the mountainous, wintry setting. I hope the game isn't missing the lushness/diversity of regions that the previous games have had. oblivion was a little more homogenous in setting than morrowind, and I hope skyrim doesn't continue this trend.

XBOX: terryb28
PSN: terryb30
post #113 of 2490 Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

+1! Thanks for posting all the great info reaper!
post #114 of 2490 Old 01-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryb28 View Post

I hope the game isn't missing the lushness/diversity of regions that the previous games have had. oblivion was a little more homogenous in setting than morrowind, and I hope skyrim doesn't continue this trend.

Looking at the map, looks like there are some flat areas that might provide diversity in the landscape. I suspect thou mountainous terrain with SNOW is going to be big in this game, just from the descriptions in the articles...
post #115 of 2490 Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

No problem on posting it. I LOVED Oblivion and can't get enough Elder Scrolls chatter. So, watching the thread grow is enough reward for me. I thought I heard somewhere that we will see a good variety of landscapes in Skyrim but cannot recall where. I did see the game informer article and there was some variety in there. Are we allowed to post scans here?
post #116 of 2490 Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 AM

not sure if AVS feels the same, but I'll allow it.
post #117 of 2490 Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

My apologies to avs forum in advance. If this violates any rules, please delete. I've grabbed the scans from various locations and placed them into a picasa album

http://picasaweb.google.com/joseph.s...eat=directlink
post #118 of 2490 Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
My apologies to avs forum in advance. If this violates any rules, please delete. I've grabbed the scans from various locations and placed them into a picasa album

http://picasaweb.google.com/joseph.s...eat=directlink
Amazing! Thanks! Looks like plenty of diversity on landscaspes and possible aerial aspect of fighting dragons?...OMG.
post #119 of 2490 Old 01-14-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

What do you guys see in the pictures? Here are some of my observations:

1. The water seems to look better but it's hard to tell from these shots

2. If those images of the mtns are real, that will be awesome!

3. The image of the woman in the shop exhibits better facial detail.

4. In the image of the woman in the shop, you can see objects casting shadows in the background. I didn't realize how flat Oblivion looked without this. Look at the water jugs in the background and the chairs casting shadows. Amazing.

5. The character quality looks much better. His arms have hair and veins, the skin looks more realistic.

6. The lighting seems improved but it's hard to tell if it looks as good as RDR's daytime lighting.
post #120 of 2490 Old 01-14-2011, 12:30 PM

it seems like the colors are a lot more dynamic. oblivion seemed a little monotone to me, but there looks to be a lot of variation here. thanks for the upload.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page