post #1591 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

They gave me an Ancient dragon to beat solo on a Miscellaneous quest and he toasted me before I could get to my health potions. Another Ancient wasn't so interested in killing me as he was the guards around me so he's now dead.

I was wearing boots with 40% fire protection, and just now I managed to buy a necklace with 60% protection. SHOULD this mean 100% protection from fire once the resistances are restored, or is this 100% less of some aspect of fire meaning I should still worry about it?...

Doesn't the game tell you your status effects in the magic menu? I'm not positive, but I think it shows percentages for each status effect like resistances. Regardless, I think there's a cap on resistance bonuses. Not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure it can't ever be 100%.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Well I finally got my Daedric bow, great sword and dagger today. I think I messed up on an enchantment with the bow though.

James
post #1593 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Well I finally got my Daedric bow, great sword and dagger today. I think I messed up on an enchantment with the bow though.

James

Congrats. Where did you get the bow?

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
post #1594 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 06:18 PM

Liked: 10
The nerd factor in this thread is off the charts... that being said... giving serious consideration to buying this game. Looks awesome.
post #1595 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

Congrats. Where did you get the bow?

I got my smithing level up high enough and then found the needed parts to make it. It took a few hours to do.

Speaking of nerd factor, that did make me laugh since I was ready to put the game down for a while but decided I needed to first get the required ore I needed for some parts first, another hour later

Now that I have dragon armor and some good weapons I will be off on some more quests. Damn I love this game.

James
post #1596 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I first started Skyrim with the intention of being a mage only character, much like I was in Oblivion. Once I discovered the bow, though, I changed my tune. 42 levels later, throw in a few fortify smithing enchantments, some enchanting/archery perks, some Blacksmith Elixir and a Daedra Bow, and I now have a bow that does 333 damage plus what ever arrows I use and 25 points of fire damage. Needless to say, I don't really have a need for either magic or a sword.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #1597 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Now that Skyrim has been out for a little while, and you guys have put some decent time into it, I have a question from the perspective of a parent who let his 10 year old daughter play Oblivion.

My daugher loves playing Oblivion, and once she saw the commercial for Skyrim she has now put it at the top of her Christmas wish list. I believe Oblivion has a T rating, and Skyrim is M. Has anyone encountered anything really inappropriate or objectionable in Skyrim yet?

I am really on the fence about getting this game, but I have to wonder how much worse could it be over Oblivion? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
post #1598 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 PM

The killing goes super slow mo cut scene once in a while. I'm playing as a Mage and don't see much of this unless I use a blade.
post #1599 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Guy View Post

Now that Skyrim has been out for a little while, and you guys have put some decent time into it, I have a question from the perspective of a parent who let his 10 year old daughter play Oblivion.

My daugher loves playing Oblivion, and once she saw the commercial for Skyrim she has now put it at the top of her Christmas wish list. I believe Oblivion has a T rating, and Skyrim is M. Has anyone encountered anything really inappropriate or objectionable in Skyrim yet?

I am really on the fence about getting this game, but I have to wonder how much worse could it be over Oblivion? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I understand where you're coming from as I have two young daughters. I haven't encountered anything really inappropriate after 40 hours. I think it's one of the more mild games I've seen of late.

post #1600 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Human hearts and human flesh are lying around as ingredients in potions I haven't seen yet. Some corpses have been burned beyond recognition while others are wrapped in spiderweb so they are less icky. Some of the altars have bloody body parts strewn across them.

If that's OK with you, go for it...

LIVE: mikepaul
post #1601 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

Human hearts and human flesh are lying around as ingredients in potions I haven't seen yet. Some corpses have been burned beyond recognition while others are wrapped in spiderweb so they are less icky. Some of the altars have bloody body parts strewn across them.

If that's OK with you, go for it...

Yes all true. I found the visuals to be diffused or not too graphic.

post #1602 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Doesn't the game tell you your status effects in the magic menu? I'm not positive, but I think it shows percentages for each status effect like resistances. Regardless, I think there's a cap on resistance bonuses. Not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure it can't ever be 100%.

Well, the text says "Increases Fire Resistance by X%", with my values being 40 and 60. However, increasing resistance by 100% may just mean I get toasted slower than usual, and I was wondering if someone KNEW how that worked out when a dragon is breathing on you. Especially these Ancient ones, that put out heat a LOT faster than the ones I've killed before.

I carry some Elven armor but it isn't listed as fire-proof so if I need more to be able to deal with these solo dragon hunts I'd like to know now. I'll be avoiding this quest anyway until the new patch is out...

LIVE: mikepaul
post #1603 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

After reading Big Bard's post, I stand corrected, it is the Daedra Bow I have. I looked on the web for the most powerful one there is in the game and that was it. My mind was on the Daedric stuff since that is what I spent so much time on today. It still took a heck of a lot of work to get it. I will have to look into the other stuff he mentioned to bring it up to that standard (even though it is smithed out and has an enchantment on it).

James
post #1604 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

At least one of the Daedra quest had me kill someone who wasnt really doing anything to me. Of course the brotherhood quest are probably not good for the young but they were in Oblivion. I didnt do them in Oblivion and dont intend on doing them in this game but you kind of get suckered into doing at least one.

I think the only change in the overall game formula from oblivion is the slow motion kills where you may cut a persons head off or stab them all the way through. The stabing all the way through doesnt look like much but when you cut the head off they do indeed lose their head.

About the toughest cus word in the game is Milkdrinker. At least so far that I have heard. So its pretty much just hack and slash violence which seems no different then morrowind or oblivion except the graphics are better (but I wouldnt say they go for the realisim that a COD or Battlefield does)....but maybe I am being desensitized... I did actually do the daedra quest and all...
post #1605 of 2490 Old 12-04-2011, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
I've heard the B words dropped occasionally.

Minor spoilers...

And one Brotherhood Quest has a talking "corpse" burned beyond recognition.... Avoid that and you should be OK.

Honestly, several T games are worse than this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #1606 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Quote:

I have heard the word "damn" quite a bit and b!tch as well, but was mainly concerned about the sexual content described here:

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis...tificate=31575

So far, I have encountered none of it. I am letting my son play but only quest lines which I have completed or a friend has completed. We essentially "clear" them of the sexual content before he's allowed. So far, we've cleared the main quest, the mages quest and I am working on the Companions quest. Nothing so far. I have asked people if they ran into that sexual content on several occasions and I have never seen a response on it. So, I am still not sure where it is. I would like him to avoid the thieve's and dark brother hood quests thinking that the content is likely in one of those and also because they are likely a bit much for a young child. He didn't play those quests in Oblivion. But I am also worried that content could be in some random quest. So, he is not picking up random quests yet either.

I tried getting the electronic copy of the guide to see if I could find it in there on the iPad but it's not searchable. So, no luck there either.

Overall, I'd say the game seems to be mild cussing and lots of violence and disturbing scenes as described earlier. I am still worried about the sexual content lurking somewhere in the game and would feel better if I knew how to direct my son to avoid it rather than limiting his questing as I have had to do.
post #1607 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 07:51 AM

I'd agree that it is the violence that has changed the most from Oblivion. I'm still undecided on whether the game is appropriate for my 12 year old (setting limits on quest lines similar to what reaper does). The most sexual thing in the game that comes to mind is a misc quest in Riften where you gather evidence that a certain woman slept with certain men. There are also interesting themes dealing with racism, nationalism, and imperialism that might make for good discussion. For me, it is the violence that has me on the fence. The game is a pretty mild "M".
post #1608 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

As others have noted, I think the reason for the M rating is probably the close-up, slow-motion kills. As a rough approximation, I'd say that if you're okay with your daughter watching the Lord of the Rings movies, you'd be okay with her playing Skyrim. And even the slow-motion segments aren't nearly as "fetishistic" as the kills in Fallout 3. In Skyrim it's more for dramatic effect than for the sheer gory pleasure of watching something's head get lopped off (as in Fallout 3).

Even better, the "adult" things that Skyrim deals with (political maneuvering, legal ethics, cultural nationalism, postcolonial racism, and so on) are dealt with intelligently and might actually be good for a young person. *gasp*

And I haven't come across anything explicitly or implicitly sexual. There are, however, a lot of unhappy marriages in Skyrim. But those, too, are dealt with intelligently. All in all, it's a dark world. I hate to stereotype, but women tend to mature faster at that age than men, and your daughter may really "get" a lot of what's going on in this game. IMO one should be so lucky to have a daughter who wants to play a game like Skyrim.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1609 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Great responses so far, thanks everyone! My daughter never really did any of the main quests from Oblivion, she just loves riding around on her horse, sneaking around in the dark, gathering things she finds, etc... And from time to time, I would have to help her get past a bad guy or monster that wont leave her alone... LOL
post #1610 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

Great responses so far, thanks everyone! My daughter never really did any of the main quests from Oblivion, she just loves riding around on her horse, sneaking around in the dark, gathering things she finds, etc... And from time to time, I would have to help her get past a bad guy or monster that wont leave her alone... LOL

I've played through most of the College of Winterhold quests and there's nothing there I'd be worried about.

Xbox handle: TheRotoman
post #1611 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anyone else purchase the soundtrack? I have not received my copy yet and it was supposed to ship the week after 11/11/11.
post #1612 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

Anyone else purchase the soundtrack? I have not received my copy yet and it was supposed to ship the week after 11/11/11.

Mine just shipped. Still haven't received it yet. I'm guessing the whole signed by the composer thing caused the delay.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #1613 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Ugh, the more I read, the more I realize I messed up on my enchantment and gem on my Daedra Bow. Damn this stinks but I have gone to far to roll back to another save. Oh well, leave and learn.

James
post #1614 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Ugh, the more I read, the more I realize I messed up on my enchantment and gem on my Daedra Bow. Damn this stinks but I have gone to far to roll back to another save. Oh well, leave and learn.

James

In what way do you think you messed it up? I'm still working my way up the perk tree for enchanting so mine are still weak right now. I'm always happy to learn from other peoples mistakes since I make plenty myself.
post #1615 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

I received my notification that it shipped on 12/3. I had ordered mine back on 11/7. I thought I read on the Skyrim Soundtrack page on Facebook that it was going to take 3-4 weeks.
Skyrim FB

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #1616 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

I received my notification that it shipped on 12/3. I had ordered mine back on 11/7. I thought I read on the Skyrim Soundtrack page on Facebook that it was going to take 3-4 weeks.
Skyrim FB

Completely off topic but I just wanted to quote your post and say you have an awesome screen name.
post #1617 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 11:11 AM

Liked: 11
my daughter is 7, and she will occasionally watch me playing the game. the various skeletons, draugr, and other enemies didn't seem to bother her, but i had a dog following me for awhile, and she wanted me to avoid EVERY fight so the dog wouldn't accidentally get killed.

i ended up sending him back home.

100 hours in, and i haven't seen anything i would consider sexual content, other than the aforementioned riften quest, and that's just BARELY adult in nature. i agree the M rating is for violence and blood, and really, if your kid watches Animal Planet, they've probably seen worse.

she enjoyed the fights with dragons, and she loved watching me explore the world (the mammoths were a particular favorite). i don't have any reservations about letting her see this game, i think it probably rests on the borderline of T and M. it's not like a 'Left 4 Dead' or something, which i would never let her watch until she's in her mid-20s.

on the topic of marriage...i married Mjoll and moved her into my house in Whiterun. anyone that's seen/met her knows she has this dude Airen that hangs around talking about how he's never seen her more upset. they have this 'history' where he allegedly saved her life or something. clearly he was into her, but too bad, i'm the one she married.

well, i kept Lydia as my travelling companion, thinking Mjoll would be cool with it, and then who do i see outside my house in Whiterun when Lydia and i are getting ready to go adventuring? freakin' AIREN! thought i left him back in Riften, what's he doing here? Mjoll's got some 'splainin to do!

i think Mjoll might be cheating on me. i need to familiarize her with how i dealt with wives when i was playing 'Fable II'.

(just wanted to prove my nerd credentials in this thread, ha!)

Chimpuat

post #1618 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hahaha!

post #1619 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hahaha!

That's quality. This damn phrase is EVERYWHERE on the internet right now. Like, in the comment sections of deadmau5 songs.
post #1620 of 2490 Old 12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpuat View Post

well, i kept Lydia as my travelling companion, thinking Mjoll would be cool with it, and then who do i see outside my house in Whiterun when Lydia and i are getting ready to go adventuring? freakin' AIREN! thought i left him back in Riften, what's he doing here? Mjoll's got some 'splainin to do!

i think Mjoll might be cheating on me. i need to familiarize her with how i dealt with wives when i was playing 'Fable II'.

(just wanted to prove my nerd credentials in this thread, ha!)

Kill Airen and leave him on your step as a warning to others .
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page