Elder Scrolls V - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have to agree with BD on this, the loading screens are getting old.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I have 260+ individual saves is there a fast way to clean them up or do i have to delete all the old ones individually?

Come at me Broseph
XBox live GT:Dubs4President
post #2253 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Went on a pretty epic MLK day skyrim binge.

Had a great time, its got it's hooks in me again, but I think I spent at least a solid hour or two of of the day staring at a load screen. Its absolutely ridiculous. I was trying to level up the thieves guild and you have to travel through three 10-20 second long load screens to get to where you need to. Why?? Why can't I just fast travel right to it? Why can't I fast travel to and from the *inside* of my house, castle, guild etc...why do I have to stare at an epic load screen to be put outside the door of where I obviously want to go, only to trigger another load screen?!!? I swear, the constant load screens are the worst part of this game BY FAR.

This game has load screens? -pc player

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #2254 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

This game has load screens? -pc player

I know right! My old PC ran fallout 3 at 60fps and load times were under a second with my SSD. I'm sure skyrim is no different. I would love nothing more than to put my SSD into my 360.

I can deal with the occasional load, but these are just ridiculous! I just don't understand why they seemingly designed the game to maximize the amount of load time you experience. If I fast travel to dragonsreach, that obviously means I want to go INTO dragonsreach, right? So why put me outside of it?

My wife was even making fun of it last night. She's like "this is fun to you?"

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #2255 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

How do people end up with so many saves? Are you guys unaware that you can save over an old save? I usually only have 2 (occasionally 3) manual saves, coupled with the autosaves.
post #2256 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I just don't feel comfortable overwriting with many saves. I do keep my saves paired down to about 20 all the time though.

James
post #2257 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know right! My old PC ran fallout 3 at 60fps and load times were under a second with my SSD. I'm sure skyrim is no different. I would love nothing more than to put my SSD into my 360.

Install the game to a fast USB stick and you'll get a minor speed increase. You'll still be waiting for load screens, sure, but it does provide a bit of an improvement.
post #2258 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone fully beaten this game yet? I've just hit the 100 hour mark, and seem to constantly find new quests and locations. I've just started the Dark Brotherhood questline, sorta.

I feel compelled to 100% this game.
post #2259 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosinho View Post

How do people end up with so many saves? Are you guys unaware that you can save over an old save? I usually only have 2 (occasionally 3) manual saves, coupled with the autosaves.

Zoning into towns/caves/etc, and fast travel all create autosaves. If you do them alot, and do not clean them up, you will accumulate a ton of saves, (unless you turn off autosave).
post #2260 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm 150 hours in and I think I'm just going to blast on through to the end game. I agree that the load screen is now a major part of the game.
If PC has 4 GIGs of ram can they load the entire game into memory and never see a load screen?
This game has been a lot of fun. Best 60 bucks spent all last year.
post #2261 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

Install the game to a fast USB stick and you'll get a minor speed increase. You'll still be waiting for load screens, sure, but it does provide a bit of an improvement.

I installed it to the very start of a freshly formatted HDD (the fastest area). I've tested/time it between HDD vs USB install and the HDD is always the fastest (at least in my case).

It's still ridiculous. It's not really the length of any one load that's bothersome, it's just to loads add up when you have to do them back to back. If I want to go to town to sell stuff, in whiterun for instance, I may have 5000 gold worth of stuff. Lets count the loads here:

1 to whiterun
2 to blacksmith
3 back out
4 general goods
5 back out
6 alchemist
7 back out
8 into house to sell to my wife
9 back out
10 fast travel up to dragonsreach
11 into dragonsreach to wizard
12 back out
13 back to where I was

13 loads!!! And thats not even considering all the pointless travel time. To justify some silly mechanic of not being to sell as much as you want to any vendor.

You know what would be really great? If I could fast travel directly into my house, give everything to my wife to sell, so she has something to do all day, and just let me get on with my adventuring. That would take 1 load and about 1/100th of the time, and be just as "realistic".

post #2262 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofBlasting View Post

Has anyone fully beaten this game yet? I've just hit the 100 hour mark, and seem to constantly find new quests and locations. I've just started the Dark Brotherhood questline, sorta.

I feel compelled to 100% this game.

Yes.

post #2263 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Yes.

You mean all quests, and not just the main quests?
post #2264 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofBlasting View Post

You mean all quests, and not just the main quests?

There's literally unlimited quests, but I'd say if youve completed the main quests, civil war quests, major side quests, all the guild critical path quests, daedric quests, become thane of every hold and unlocked all achievements, you've essentially 100%ed the game. I'd wager that'd take 200ish hours.

Side question: does the dark brotherhood line rely heavily on stealth? I'm thinking of starting a melee class since I'm nearing 50, and all I have left to do is the DB and the companions.

post #2265 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

anyone try coping a game save to the cloud and play it from there?

Come at me Broseph
post #2266 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudubb1n View Post

anyone try coping a game save to the cloud and play it from there?

Yeah I've been playing mine from the cloud for a while. Makes it easier to switch consoles when I want to.
post #2267 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

Zoning into towns/caves/etc, and fast travel all create autosaves. If you do them alot, and do not clean them up, you will accumulate a ton of saves, (unless you turn off autosave).

At least on my system, the autosaves just save on top of each other. I believe it keeps something like a maximum of 3, but other than that, they keep getting recycled. I alternate between two manual saves myself, so that means only 5 saves in total, even with autosave enabled.
post #2268 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

There really isnt a good way to delete more than one save at a time is there?

Come at me Broseph
post #2269 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've cut back to only the saves from the last two days. The actual number varies due to how busy I was. Save in town, save when arrived at destination, save before entering a place. Overwriting is fine if there's a save that I can reload to start over, but at some points I make an extra save so the work to get that far is protected.

I have been doing other things this week. Crysis 2, which I got for $10, is sorta OK, but I seriously miss unlimited saves when it has checkpoints you MUST make or else you start over from the last one. Never realized how much I *hate* that...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #2270 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

There really isnt a good way to delete more than one save at a time is there?

Good is relative. You could TRY using the System menu, find Memory, navigate to the device where you are saving, and delete the save files by hand. Saves having to let the game load the image from the save before you're allowed to choose to delete it...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #2271 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Im thinking of using the cloud to work around that right now. going to move my most current 3-4 saves to the cloud and work off that from now on and then start working on deleting the ones off of my hard drive starting with the oldest ones first. hoping it will speed up the load/save time's

Come at me Broseph
post #2272 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

There's literally unlimited quests, but I'd say if youve completed the main quests, civil war quests, major side quests, all the guild critical path quests, daedric quests, become thane of every hold and unlocked all achievements, you've essentially 100%ed the game. I'd wager that'd take 200ish hours.

Side question: does the dark brotherhood line rely heavily on stealth? I'm thinking of starting a melee class since I'm nearing 50, and all I have left to do is the DB and the companions.

Some, to sneak into a house and kill someone who's asleep. Less stealth intense than the Thieves Guild and Nightingale quests.
post #2273 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im thinking of using the cloud to work around that right now. going to move my most current 3-4 saves to the cloud and work off that from now on and then start working on deleting the ones off of my hard drive starting with the oldest ones first. hoping it will speed up the load/save time's

Incidentally, the way cloud storage works is that the system reserves 512 MB of space on your primary storage device (your hard drive) to sync with the cloud. It then reserves 512 MB for your Gamertag in the cloud. When you're playing a game locally, you are reading and writing files to your hard drive cache, rather than to the cloud, i.e. it's not constantly reading and writing over the network. The synchronization happens when you sign in and when you turn your system off (or exit to the dashboard).

Hence, use of the cloud neither helps nor hinders with in-game performance. I do agree that it makes sense to use it if you regularly play from multiple Xbox 360s, though... And obviously having fewer overall save games will make Skyrim happier.
post #2274 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

At least on my system, the autosaves just save on top of each other. I believe it keeps something like a maximum of 3, but other than that, they keep getting recycled. I alternate between two manual saves myself, so that means only 5 saves in total, even with autosave enabled.

This. I can normally manage with two saves - one before I enter a location, and one rolling one for after big fights in the location - plus the three autosaves. I'll occasionally tack on a third save right before I do something that might be catastrophically dumb.
post #2275 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is what I have done, there are a couple quests in my inventory that says go fetch this apple or something like that, but that is about all. Accomplished everything you listed above. Except, I have an achievement I can't unlock that says I was suppose to take over a keep, when I go there it is mine, every one of my factions is there roaming the place (both keeps listed) but no achievement. Oh well. Other then that, yeah, did a ton of stuff, maxed skills out, etc. etc.

Yes, the brotherhoos is INSANELY heavy on stealth. If you don't sometimes a quest can fail but most of the time it is you loose out on the better reward (like summoning abilities once a day), the real stealth is usually considered the bonus part of the mission, but overall, it is assassinating, and stealth action. A lot of the people are like 100% of the time with someone else so it is hard to not be seen (which can be a bonus side of the mission too).

post #2276 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is what I have done, there are a couple quests in my inventory that says go fetch this apple or something like that, but that is about all. Accomplished everything you listed above. Except, I have an achievement I can't unlock that says I was suppose to take over a keep, when I go there it is mine, every one of my factions is there roaming the place (both keeps listed) but no achievement. Oh well. Other then that, yeah, did a ton of stuff, maxed skills out, etc. etc.

Yes, the brotherhoos is INSANELY heavy on stealth. If you don't sometimes a quest can fail but most of the time it is you loose out on the better reward (like summoning abilities once a day), the real stealth is usually considered the bonus part of the mission, but overall, it is assassinating, and stealth action. A lot of the people are like 100% of the time with someone else so it is hard to not be seen (which can be a bonus side of the mission too).

K, sounds like I'll keep my stealth going through the DB missions. Thanks.

post #2277 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you think :
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
the rewards for the end of the thieves guild the 2min invisibility would be worth returning the skeleton key for? i have over 200 lockpicks now. and around 83 lockpick skill but am hesitant to return it.

Come at me Broseph
post #2278 of 2490 Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It all depends on how much you value time and convenience. You won't have trouble without it, it'll just take you a hell of a lot longer on a tough lock.

FWIW, I wish I still had it. Not worth it.

post #2279 of 2490 Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you think :
Spoiler  
the rewards for the end of the thieves guild the 2min invisibility would be worth returning the skeleton key for? i have over 200 lockpicks now. and around 83 lockpick skill but am hesitant to return it.

No way, keep the reward. You have to spend way to many skill points to raise the skill to do the same thing. Without it, the whole lockpicking becomes VERY boring and useless. I want the treasure, etc. not to play some poorly concieved mini-game.

post #2280 of 2490 Old 01-18-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No way, keep the reward. You have to spend way to many skill points to raise the skill to do the same thing. Without it, the whole lockpicking becomes VERY boring and useless. I want the treasure, etc. not to play some poorly concieved mini-game.

Just keep in mind that by doing so, you're effectively locking out half of that questline. That isn't the end of the line, just the first act. Unfortunately what comes next has a lot of filler content, but it's working towards a distinct end goal.

Really though, that should have been one of the ultimate rewards. I dunno why they'd give it to you just to take it away.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page