Elder Scrolls V - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is a lot of time in this game! I bought it for my laptop as well so I have 2 copies of the game now. Headed to the arctic circle on business soon, not much to do after work every day but sit in my hotel room so I think I will end up with a crazy number of hours in this game over those 2-3 weeks.

It is kind of weird having two characters going simultaneously. I'm about 40 hrs in on the xbox and another 10 on the laptop getting that character going. Every now and then I'll pick up something in one game and think damn I wish I could hand that to my character in the other because he could use it a lot more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 AM

Liked: 11
I have no quests remaining...I'm so lost..only 103 hours in.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Not even Misc quests?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 AM

i had about 184 hours invested in it, had finally completed the main quest, completed the mage, companions, thieves, and dark brotherhood stories, and then i had to return it to the blockbuster i had "perma-rented" it from on my in-store pass since it released, as they were going out of business.

i've been "clean" for about a week, and so far it's going ok. have to admit i've been using "Dead Island" as a sort of methadone-like replacement, but it's been easier to walk away than i expected.

i know once the first DLC is released, i'll be pulled right back in, but for now, i am skyrim free and proud.

Chimpuat

Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 AM

Nothing. No quests. I am trying to get the Dark Brotherhood questline going, but no luck. I'm not sure what the deal is, I haven't done that many side quests.

I too took a break and played Dead Island. Pretty fun game, story makes no sense but it's still enjoyable.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm not sure how much more I'll complete before a long hiatus. I've been playing a few unfinished games waiting for next week's Amalur release. Did get the end credits for the main story in Borderlands, but Tomb Raider: Legend still eludes me so I'm starting from scratch.

It's not like I'm unsatisfied with Skyrim gameplay in general, but plodding forward just to get some more Achievements isn't enough. I'm not going to suddenly put away the bow that one-hits Dragon Priests so I have to fight harder. I just need something different, maybe for a long time...

LIVE: mikepaul
Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofBlasting View Post

Nothing. No quests. I am trying to get the Dark Brotherhood questline going, but no luck. I'm not sure what the deal is, I haven't done that many side quests.

I too took a break and played Dead Island. Pretty fun game, story makes no sense but it's still enjoyable.

Joining the Dark Brotherhood requires you to complete the quest Innocence Lost. Speaking to Innkeepers or to certain NPCs in Riften will inform you that there is a child in Windhelm named Aventus Aretino who is attempting to summon the Dark Brotherhood. Guard NPCs in general may idly chat about this subject.

Alternatively, you can travel to the orphanage in Riften and watch Grelod the Kind, the caregiver to the orphans, yell at them. Speaking to the children will reveal Aventus Aretino's name as well, and his location.

Or, if you wish, you may travel to Windhelm and eavesdrop on a young boy and his caregiver, discussing Aventus' plan to summon the Dark Brotherhood. From there, simply break into the house (located right next to the conversation).

Travel to Windhelm and break into the Aretino home at any time. Inside will be Aventus Aretino attempting to summon the Dark Brotherhood. Speak to him and do his quests.

In a few days a courier will run up to you and give you a note that says, "we know". You must then sleep in a bed for 24 hours and the dark brotherhood quests will begin. It starts awesome too, well worth it.

As for other misc. quests, talk to inkeepers, tavern owners in all the cities/towns, they almost always give gossip that ends up as misc. quests and most of the daedric quests start this way.

Did you do the civil war to completion, that can be lengthy too.

Did you do the companion quests (and all their misc. quests after you finish their main story line?) A lot of their after-quests are to clear out caves, etc. pretty good stuff.

Theives guild? Mages guild? Both have extensive quests to do even after you complete all their main quests, become guild leader, etc. they then have you doing a ton of new stuff for the guild and lots of side quests.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How is that even possible? I've got 40 hours in, and I can't turn around without tripping over a new quest.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Joining the Dark Brotherhood requires you to complete the quest Innocence Lost. Speaking to Innkeepers or to certain NPCs in Riften will inform you that there is a child in Windhelm named Aventus Aretino who is attempting to summon the Dark Brotherhood. Guard NPCs in general may idly chat about this subject.

Alternatively, you can travel to the orphanage in Riften and watch Grelod the Kind, the caregiver to the orphans, yell at them. Speaking to the children will reveal Aventus Aretino's name as well, and his location.

Or, if you wish, you may travel to Windhelm and eavesdrop on a young boy and his caregiver, discussing Aventus' plan to summon the Dark Brotherhood. From there, simply break into the house (located right next to the conversation).

Travel to Windhelm and break into the Aretino home at any time. Inside will be Aventus Aretino attempting to summon the Dark Brotherhood. Speak to him and do his quests.

In a few days a courier will run up to you and give you a note that says, "we know". You must then sleep in a bed for 24 hours and the dark brotherhood quests will begin. It starts awesome too, well worth it.

As for other misc. quests, talk to inkeepers, tavern owners in all the cities/towns, they almost always give gossip that ends up as misc. quests and most of the daedric quests start this way.

Did you do the civil war to completion, that can be lengthy too.

Did you do the companion quests (and all their misc. quests after you finish their main story line?) A lot of their after-quests are to clear out caves, etc. pretty good stuff.

Theives guild? Mages guild? Both have extensive quests to do even after you complete all their main quests, become guild leader, etc. they then have you doing a ton of new stuff for the guild and lots of side quests.

See, I did Innocence Lost but I am still waiting for the courier to find me. Been about 8 hours and still no sign of him.

I think what I'll do is, simply find every location in the game, and speak with everyone I can. This should hopefully give me a lot more quests. I'll also see what other Theive's Guild quests I can get into. I def didn't complete all of those.

I've just never had to work for quests, they've simply been thrown at me the whole time. Guess I've been sticking too much to the quests I was doing and not doing much wandering and chatting.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See, I did Innocence Lost but I am still waiting for the courier to find me. Been about 8 hours and still no sign of him.

I think what I'll do is, simply find every location in the game, and speak with everyone I can. This should hopefully give me a lot more quests. I'll also see what other Theive's Guild quests I can get into. I def didn't complete all of those.

I've just never had to work for quests, they've simply been thrown at me the whole time. Guess I've been sticking too much to the quests I was doing and not doing much wandering and chatting.

I fast travelled to whiterun, and then I waited 4 hours at a time using the pass time option. On one of them he suddenly came running up to me out of the blue when the countdown ended.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Grrr... The number of broken quests over time detracts from my personal enjoyment of this game. Even "major" quests seem to frequently just fall apart, fail to trigger, or break in some weird way.

For example, I embraced the Night Mother, she says "Sleep", the screen fades to near black, and then... The Xbox 360 locks up completely. At first, I thought it was just part of the cutscene, so I waited for several minutes, but nothing further ever manifested. I tried to bring up the guide, and absolutely nothing happened. The only way I could get the Xbox 360 to respond again was by unplugging the power cord. I restarted everything, tried again, and was met with the exact same results. What the heck?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

Grrr... The number of broken quests over time detracts from my personal enjoyment of this game. Even "major" quests seem to frequently just fall apart, fail to trigger, or break in some weird way.

For example, I embraced the Night Mother, she says "Sleep", the screen fades to near black, and then... The Xbox 360 locks up completely. At first, I thought it was just part of the cutscene, so I waited for several minutes, but nothing further ever manifested. I tried to bring up the guide, and absolutely nothing happened. The only way I could get the Xbox 360 to respond again was by unplugging the power cord. I restarted everything, tried again, and was met with the exact same results. What the heck?

I had a daedric quest completely break on me. Decided at that point to shelve it until the next patch. I can understand really random stuff breaking, but I don't know how they let mainline quest stuff slip through broken.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I had a daedric quest completely break on me. Decided at that point to shelve it until the next patch. I can understand really random stuff breaking, but I don't know how they let mainline quest stuff slip through broken.

I had the main quest break on me 5 times! The main quest! I ended up shelving it last week, and went back to gears of war 3 while I wait for an update to Skyrim....but Reckoning is out in 4 days, so I doubt I will be back in Skyrim for some time .
Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 AM

Question about a Daedric Quest...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
I killed the Boethiah Cultists and spoke to her about getting a human sacrifice. Right now I have Illia as a follower and there is a glitch that if I let her go I can't get her of my stuff she has back. Can I get somebody to follow me up for the sacrifice without dismissing my follower?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappleby285 View Post

Question about a Daedric Quest...

* SPOILER *

No. Send her home.

Also...that's the daedric quest that broke on me, well after that point. So I'd say wait for the patch before tackling it.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

No. Send her home.

Also...that's the daedric quest that broke on me, well after that point. So I'd say wait for the patch before tackling it.

That quest also gave me a bit of a headache. Here's what worked for me:

Spoiler  
I led a sacrifice to the pillar, killed him/her, THEN killed all the cultists. Doing either of these on their own (killing the sacrifice OR the cultists) wouldn't allow the dialog to activate from the apparition. As a last resort I killed the sacrifice and then killed the cultists. I was then able to proceed with the quest as normal.

I would recommend hiring a mercenary instead of asking someone to follow you since you're going to kill them anyway.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Old 02-05-2012, 08:37 PM

Can I hire a mercenary while I still have a follower?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

That quest also gave me a bit of a headache. Here's what worked for me:

Spoiler  
I led a sacrifice to the pillar, killed him/her, THEN killed all the cultists. Doing either of these on their own (killing the sacrifice OR the cultists) wouldn't allow the dialog to activate from the apparition. As a last resort I killed the sacrifice and then killed the cultists. I was then able to proceed with the quest as normal.

I would recommend hiring a mercenary instead of asking someone to follow you since you're going to kill them anyway.

That was the first break. Googled that one, did exactly what you said. Broke again after that.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM

Any hints on defeating the "Ancient Dragons" I have no problems with the frost or fire versions but the ancient ones really tear me up. I am level 33 and have the Darangonbane sword fully upgraded along with a full other gadgets and weapons.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh2298 View Post

Any hints on defeating the "Ancient Dragons" I have no problems with the frost or fire versions but the ancient ones really tear me up. I am level 33 and have the Darangonbane sword fully upgraded along with a full other gadgets and weapons.

Have you tried lowering the difficulty? Seriosuly, try it, see if you can get a feel for what works without dying so much. Then load your saves, raise the difficulty and try again, slowly raise it up until you get the hang of what works and what doesn't work. Toe to toe fighting with dragons can be challenging. Lightning works the best as it makes them stop everything they are doing while being shocked so no attacks against you, but if you don't have lightning damage or the spell, do you have the dragon shout to bring it to the ground? Can you summon anything? My demons I summon always distract it and the dragons seem to go for them instead. Especially now that I can summon two creatures at once. Can you summon your own dragon to help? Various tactics like that may help. Good luck!!!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Do you have health potions and also resistance potions available? I keep good amount of those ready for bad times.

Have you upgraded the armor you are using? That should help a bit also.

James
Old 02-07-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

If you get the spell breaker shield that helps a lot. Get that and an amulate of resistance against whatever the ancient draging is spitting and you should be good. Just cover up when hes breathing and then attack him from the side when he lands. Also conjuring something for him to focus on will help.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:25 PM

Patch 1.4 should be available sometime on 2/9 for Xbox. No word on PS3.

XBox Live ID - AstroTravellin
Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The update is out. After it updated and I started a game it fixed the Forsworn Heart glitch problem for me. It popped up "take a forsworn heart completed" as soon as the game loaded. I did encounter a bug shortly after playing and I'm not sure if it was an new or an old bug. I was just about to fight a dragon priest before the patch. I fought and killed him post patch and noticed in the area that I killed him there was a breathing sound coming from an area of the room with no enemies around. I left only to find out this breathing would start any time I was inside a building. Such as my house at Whiterun and at the Warmaiden's store. Reloading fixed this bug.

Update: The dragon priest from above was at Valthume. Maybe this area is really buggy. After the reloaded I noticed I didn't get the staff. Went back and no staff to be found. Reloaded a second time only to find the dragon priest couldn't see me and I couldn't damage him. Reloaded a third time and all seems to be good. I'm hoping this isn't all from the update!

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Not trying to fuel a future debate, but I downloaded the update tonight when I logged on to do some miscellaneous quests. Much to my surprise, my character now seems to more near-sighted than she was before. Textures, buildings and trees off in the distance look noticeably blurrier than before. It has a sort of HDR lighting look to it, but I swear they were sharper before the update. I tried clearing my cache and deleting the title update, but the issue still remains.

Anyone else notice this post patch? For those that haven't updated yet, try declining the update, loading a save where you have things in the distance and take a look (or picture if you want). Then, download the update and take a another look. I'd like to see if I'm just going insane or if it's an actual issue.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have not noticed any degradation in visuals after the update. Although I did it before seeing your post, so I didn't have the benefit of knowing to look for it. FWIW.

Hey, you posted at 3:15 am? Up late playing Skyrim huh? Been there, my friend... too often.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

I have not noticed any degradation in visuals after the update. Although I did it before seeing your post, so I didn't have the benefit of knowing to look for it. FWIW.

Hey, you posted at 3:15 am? Up late playing Skyrim huh? Been there, my friend... too often.

My sleep cycle is probably opposite of most people as I typically sleep 6am-2pm everyday. I got into that cycle years ago when I was balancing college, a full time job and a part time job.

I did a little digging on this whole texture issue and apparently I'm not the only one experiencing it. There are a slew of people over on Bethesda's forum discussing the same issue. Mind you, I thought the game looked great prior to the update and I always thought the world looked detailed even at a distance. I hit level 60 at about 170 hours, so I did plenty of looking before the update.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

Digital Foundry did full testing on the PS3 version and confirmed that RimLag is gone, and they could not see any reduction in visuals when comparing the updates.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...yrim-lag-fixed

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Not trying to fuel a future debate, but I downloaded the update tonight when I logged on to do some miscellaneous quests. Much to my surprise, my character now seems to more near-sighted than she was before. Textures, buildings and trees off in the distance look noticeably blurrier than before. It has a sort of HDR lighting look to it, but I swear they were sharper before the update. I tried clearing my cache and deleting the title update, but the issue still remains.

IMO the game always looked like this. That's why I played it in third person.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Old 02-11-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

IMO the game always looked like this. That's why I played it in third person.

Individual elements of the game are actually quite ugly, only when taken in as a whole do you see the beauty that is Skyrim. I can't wait until I get my next PC. It Will Run Skyrim at maximum with all the extras.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.