Elder Scrolls V - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 2490 Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Um, yeah, you could say that! Oblivion is my fav game of all time. I am a big fan of fantasy and ES does it best in a game so far.

Pretty good analysis of the trailer:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/24...ectid=14267318
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2490 Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Wow that was awesome. I am so glad when someone wants to watch a video a couple hundred times to analyze it frame by frame. They definitely found things I didn't see.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #213 of 2490 Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

"To answer many questions at once: the Skyrim trailer was captured entirely on Xbox 360. Also, none of the draw-distance was faked."

I was willing to accept the footage was in-game on a PC. But a 360 pushing all those polys? That is hard to believe. There must be some caveat. Of course if there isn't wow, even more incredible. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #214 of 2490 Old 02-26-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

I was willing to accept the footage was in-game on a PC. But a 360 pushing all those polys? That is hard to believe. There must be some caveat. Of course if there isn't wow, even more incredible. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I think the key word here is "captured". My guess is some of the scenes that look like cut-scenes (the dragon fight is one in particular) are in fact cut-scenes (in-game of course) that were rendered and captured using the engine on the 360.

I do believe this is what we'll see this game look like on the 360, but I have to imagine that some of what we saw was live in-game footage, and some was pre-rendered (but still in game footage using the actual engine on the 360).

It looks fantastic to me, and I got chills when the theme song kicked in. 11-11-11 - awesome!!!!

-JR
post #215 of 2490 Old 02-27-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Wow. Amazing. I skipped over Oblivion as I was way too busy to devote the kind of time I did the Morrowind but this looks like a nice treat for cold and bitter winter nights/days.

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
post #216 of 2490 Old 02-27-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Souls-Eld.../dp/0345508025

Were you guys aware of this? It's a buy for me. I enjoyed the last book, The Elder Scrolls: The Infernal City.

http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-...ref=pd_sim_b_2

reap
post #217 of 2490 Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Funny trailer remix:

post #218 of 2490 Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #219 of 2490 Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I despised Oblivion. But Todd Howard makes games that are more addictive than crack to me. As long as this game doesn't have enemies that level up with you, a better inventory system and somewhat more streamlined main story path I'll get over my Oblivion hate and get this. The trailer was amazing.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #220 of 2490 Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Interview with Todd, no new info really:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/26165/interview...elder-scrolls/
post #221 of 2490 Old 03-08-2011, 02:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Some small tidbits from OXM. Thread on the ES forum:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...he-new-us-oxm/

So I just got the new US OXM in the mail this weekend, and I just opened it tonight. Flipping through the pages, lo-and-behold I find an article on Skyrim (an article I've been waiting on for some time from them). I'll try and recite only what's new or is expressed in a new/different way. I've kept up with the news flow since the GI article dropped, so there shouldn't be many problems.

After reading the article, these are the highlights I found:

Just because a dragon flies by doesn't mean automatic death to you. When Todd compared them to big daddies, he wasn't kidding. This one quote says:
"In theory, you can engage a dragon whenever you see one simply by pelting it as it flies past, but make sure you're ready for the fight."
Basically that states that the dragons (not all of them, anyways) won't attack you immediately on sight. This also comes up again in a later point.

Telekinesis spell confirmed. I don't remember if it was just speculated or not, but it's confirmed to be in the spell list. Specifically, OXM said there were 80 spells, but for those of you keeping up with the news, there's certainly a lot more versatility in the spells now.

Speaking on dragonshouts: "The first strain of this new magic that we're shown is the ability to slow time. As you approach the carvings, one word in particular begins to glow. Once its been examined and equipped, a tap of RB slows the entire scene down for eight seconds, allowing you to casually plant arrows in the skulls of any surrounding enemies. Learn the rest of the phrase and you'll get even longer to play at being a medieval Max Payne."

It also mentions the Unrelenting Force dragonshout, which is of course the 'knockback' shout, and also briefly mentions there's a cooldown period after each shout you do. Then it says:
"Also, if you think you're the only one wandering around Skyrim with the ability to turn words into magic, think again."
Now are they referring to dragons, the graybeards, or something else (and by that something worse)? I'm interested.

The mag talks about how you actually feel like you're hitting the person with metal to flesh with each hit of the weapon. Nothing otherwise 'new.'

You have quick menus for each hand. The example they give is say, you switch your left hand immediately from a shield to a fire spell while retaining the sword in the other. Apparently you can switch from the gritty, up-close melee to magic in almost no time spent.

"Bethesda has struck a masterful balance between the straight-forward accessibility of placing items on each trigger, and a system that clearly offers depth and flexibility. Naturally, two-handed weapons do exist, at which point the left trigger may, for example, block with a broadsword or allow you to aim with a bow."

There's also new dragon screen. I think it's been mentioned before, but I had yet to see the screen myself. It's basically the dragon sitting on that stone pillar, much like the one at the end of the Official Trailer that it flies off of, the one in the GI mag. Only this time it's from under and from the front, with the dragon's wings partially outstretched and his head looking away, roaring.

"Skyrim is going to be a slightly less dangerous landscape to negotiate this time around. Rather than initiating a zany chase every time you wander near the local wildlife, many of the creatures (including giants) will simply ignore you unless you give them a reason to attack. Certain breeds are permanently pissed off, though, so don't go trying to shake hands with a frost spider."

The article retouches on the fact that everything is being designed by hand, from the world itself to the dungeons. For the dungeons mainly, they also reiterate what we've heard in that none will be exactly alike. They then mention 'burbling underground rivers, tree roots punching their ways through walls, and odd glimpses of light from the world above' in the 'ancient Nord catacombs.'

Supposedly Bethesda has also focused more on pacing and variety to ensure that you don't 'just find a dark corner to curl up in for a snooze.' The dungeon which they explored was Bleak Falls Barrow from the demo, and this time around there are 'far more traps and puzzles' in dungeons, which gave Bleak Falls section 'a distinctively Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade vibe.'

*Spoiler here*
It says instead, as they went to exit a cave, they found themselves to face to face with 'an enormous, dark gray dragon.' They point out that you can't escape these looming baddies. At some point or another, you're going to have to take these bad boys down, and it's not going to be easy.

OXM then mentions how unlike in Oblivion, people will actually have proper jobs and schedules now. Like how, in the small town of Riverwood, it will feature such things as chopping wood, cooking, and running a sawmill. You can perform these jobs now too, 'so if you want your hero's story to include eight-hour days cutting up hundreds of logs, the option is there.' Each settlement has its own economy, and apparently you can, for example, 'ruin Riverwood's financial state by choosing to sabotage that sawmill.'

That whole 'drop a sword in the middle of a town' deal has more weight to it, too. If the NPC that picks up the sword and likes you, they might offer it back to you in case you dropped it by accident. A neutral-feeling NPC might ask if they can have it, and one who dislikes you 'might simply nab the weapon and take off.'
Then, if you choose to kill that person, the radiant story will then search for his/her relatives 'and may even send one of them in pursuit of you to avenge the murder.'

Also, OXM isn't even mentioning the hints Bethesda kept dropping during the interview. Apparently there's a lot more they want to talk about but can't yet. For example:
"We're expecting something very special from the faction system, which the team seemed to be itching to talk about."
And that isn't referring to the Dark Brotherhood as they mention that later. I don't know what stops Bethesda's pulling on the faction system, but I'm eager to find out.

And that's pretty much it on the 'new' info guys.
post #222 of 2490 Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
OXM then mentions how unlike in Oblivion, people will actually have proper jobs and schedules now. Like how, in the small town of Riverwood, it will feature such things as chopping wood, cooking, and running a sawmill. You can perform these jobs now too, 'so if you want your hero's story to include eight-hour days cutting up hundreds of logs, the option is there.'
And who wouldn't!
post #223 of 2490 Old 03-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan View Post

And who wouldn't!

Was about to post that too

Does anyone know if the number of dragons are pre-determined?
or unlimited?

Hopefully its not like the buffalos in RDR..
post #224 of 2490 Old 03-08-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Read a new interview and enter for a chance to win a signed poster:

http://*******/h8togY
post #225 of 2490 Old 03-08-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookilook View Post
Was about to post that too

Does anyone know if the number of dragons are pre-determined?
or unlimited?

Hopefully its not like the buffalos in RDR..
Here is the info hot off the press:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From interview posted above
Throughout the trailer dragons can be seen looming in the distance and flying overhead. How many dragons are in the world and what determines an encounter with them? (Is it only quest based, regional, or anytime anywhere?)

There's a significant number of dragons in the game - there's definitely more dragons in Skyrim than Super Mutant Behemoths in Fallout 3. Beyond that we aren't getting into specifics.
post #226 of 2490 Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #227 of 2490 Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here is the info hot off the press:

Thanks reaper, sounds like Bethesda will find a good balance on the # of dragons in the wild. I like the fact that some dragons will only engage you after you've initiated the fight (i.e. pissed him off). So ultimately the player gets to decide the # of dragons they want to see in the wild late, late, late in the game..
post #228 of 2490 Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

New podcast from OXM, interview with a Pete:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/26494/the-oxm-p...as-pete-hines/
post #229 of 2490 Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #230 of 2490 Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #231 of 2490 Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #232 of 2490 Old 03-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, unicorn in Skyrim!!
post #233 of 2490 Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Is it Nov yet!? I so want to cross this river and explore that slope on the opposite side:

post #234 of 2490 Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 200
May I request you stop posting stuff? You're making the wait even MORE unbearable.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #235 of 2490 Old 04-02-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

New Bethesda Podcast: "We mark the fifth anniversary of Oblivion's release by talking with key members of the team, followed by a roundtable with Todd Howard and Pete Hines."

http://bethblog.com/podcast/
post #236 of 2490 Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
That is concept art, right? I don't see any pixels.
post #237 of 2490 Old 04-03-2011, 04:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

I believe it's an in game screen...

Great summary of known info:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...m-information/
post #238 of 2490 Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold