Error Code 0102 - Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-08-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my Xbox since last Christmas and it's been fine ever since besides some occasional freezing. Three days ago I got the Microsoft VGA cables to reduce the lag on my TV and a day later my Xbox started freezing. (Note: It's NOT the VGA Cables, I used the originals and still got the same problem)

What will happen is my screen will freeze and a strange checkerboard pixelated interference pattern will appear couples with a high screeching sound from my TV. I'm sure it's the Xbox because I can change channels and the TV will picture will be fine. Also, I've tried restarting my TV, that won't help.

What happens looks similar to this: http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Picture018.flv

I've tried the usual fixes, unplugging everything, dusting off the vent holes, changing games, etc. None of them have really helped, although they have temporarily fixed the problem. (Maybe for 30-60 minutes if I'm lucky)

Any idea how this could be fixed or what the problem is? Or should I just send it in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

0102 Error in the "Digital Backbone" (CPU/GPU/RAM), this is usually caused by a cold solder joint between the GPU and the mainboard.
There are two theories to fixing this one deals with the "X" clamps that hold down the chips. The other involves re-Heating the chips. DO NOT attempt either of these if your console is still under warranty. If your console is still under warranty return it to the store where it was purchased or call MS to have it replaced.

got that from here
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726
post #3 of 6 Old 11-08-2008, 10:29 PM

call 1800 4 my xbox. 1800 469-9269. if you got last christmas i think youre still under warranty. you'll only be out of your system for maybe 3 weeks.

for reference this is most likely a graphics chip cold solder. its the same thing that happened to me this week. although i get a slightly different error. have you per chance tried the "towel trick"? in a way it heats up the solder points in question and it may give you maybe a couple days to a couple hours of extra playtime while you're waiting for you "xbox coffin" (shipping mailer).
post #4 of 6 Old 11-08-2008, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I mailed in a system a few weeks back and it took a total of 8 days to get a system back. From Monday to the following Tuesday. They emailed me a pre-paid mailing label and I sent it in using a box of my own. Saved time waiting for them to mail me a box. At first they will say they email labels only, but if you press them on the matter, you can have them send you a box. But then you are adding an extra 3 to 5 days for the box to arrive. Fastest way is to use your own box.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-09-2008, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

If my XBox isn't Red ringing anymore should I not worry?

Also, why would it suddenly start working again?
post #6 of 6 Old 11-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistancePlease View Post

If my XBox isn't Red ringing anymore should I not worry?

Also, why would it suddenly start working again?

Not sure, but what I do know is that it will Red Ring again. Trust us.

You need to immediately place a service call to Xbox the next time it happens, otherwise you will find yourself asking these questions over and over to no avail.

Gamertag= Nexus976lives
PS3= Nexus976
Wii= Be serious, now....
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page