NXE - 2 Consoles - 1 HD - HD intalls - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So... I just found out that if you install an xbox game on the HD for a single xbox 360, you CANNOT play that game from the HD if you have a second xbox 360.

This is frustrating because I have 2 xbox's but only one HD. I have one xbox in my bedroom and one in the living room. So, it would be awesome to play games from the HD on both xbox's, in both rooms.

I can only imagine that only a fraction of people are in my situation right now... but has anyone else experienced this issue, and is there any possible way around it? From Microsoft's standpoint.. why not allow playing of a game from an HD, regardless of which console it's installed on...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
They want you to buy an HD for each 360.

The 5.0 is here
post #3 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

well..yeah.. I'm sure they'd love it if you bought 2-120GB hard drives just for the heck of it. Keep in mind, though, that if you use a single gamertag between both xbox's, and you only ever are logged into one console at a time... you really only need 1 HD.

I understand Microsoft's logic with the: "you can load your game onto your HD, and you MUST have a copy of the game to play it (for piracy)." I get that. But if you move around your HD to differing xbox's AND you have a copy of the CD, why wouldn't you be able to actually play the game from your HD on a different xbox - that just doesn't make sense!
post #4 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 08:07 AM

Liked: 10
i suppose installing a game to a hdd will forever link that game with that console id. in essence they are doing the same thing if you were to buy an arcade game from them. unless that game is being accessed from the system it was originally bought on, it wont play.
its a way for microsoft to show their game manufacturers and now movie makers that their system is close to being a "locked-in" system. think of how apple has the itunes store locked in for their ipods. its kind of a way to pirate proof all those movie rentals and game purchases.
i totally see your point though. you having 2 systems and wanting to keep the same gamertag, but unless microsoft allows in the future the ability for 1 gamertag to be linked to 2 or more console id's i dont think their current rules will bend.
i looked forward to see if anyone can come up with a solution cause in a couple days i too will have 2 consoles.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

but... I have 20 or so arcade games installed to my HD (I guess, attached to my gamertag as well). I can play all 20 of those games on any console (as long as I'm logged in under my gamertag and have the HD plugged in). In fact, I've been through now 6 xbox's thanks to the RROD, and I've moved my original HD through all 6 systems as well, and never had any issues with the installed arcade games.

I'm 100% on that fact - I just tested Geometry Wars 2 on both my bedroom and living room consoles.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 09:00 AM

Liked: 93
Is playing off of the disc on the second Xbox really that horrible? It's not like it's suddenly a worse experience than it was two weeks ago.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

From what I understand, some games run better without being installed onto the HDD. How much better and which games I haven't figured out yet. I installed Halo 3 to my HDD on my Elite and the first time I ran the game, I got a disclaimer message from Bungie stating that H3 wasn't designed to optimally run from a HDD install. I have since decided to not install H3 to my other HDD's. Plus it didn't help that my Elite didn't run any quieter. I'm afraid to install any other games because I don't which games don't run that well on a HDD install. And now if I move my HDD's around in my house the game won't play from the HDD? It should still play with the disc anyway right?
post #8 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

From what I understand, some games run better without being installed onto the HDD. How much better and which games I haven't figured out yet. I installed Halo 3 to my HDD on my Elite and the first time I ran the game, I got a disclaimer message from Bungie stating that H3 wasn't designed to optimally run from a HDD install. I have since decided to not install H3 to my other HDD's. Plus it didn't help that my Elite didn't run any quieter. I'm afraid to install any other games because I don't which games don't run that well on a HDD install. And now if I move my HDD's around in my house the game won't play from the HDD? It should still play with the disc anyway right?

There's a thread that lists games that give issues when installed. Apparently there are games that are somehow optimized to run of the DVD.

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #9 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Some games, like Halo 3, cache data to the HDD and then stream from both the HDD and the DVD to maximize bandwidth. So, when you put the DVD on the HDD it has to pull everything from that, and hence can't stream as fast.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
you would think that since a HD install is useless without a disc, it wouldnt have any ties to any console ID or Gamertag..... without a disc in the drive its just 6.7GB of 1's and 0's

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #11 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Is playing off of the disc on the second Xbox really that horrible? It's not like it's suddenly a worse experience than it was two weeks ago.

At first I thought the whole game-to-HD thing was a gimmick. But, then I realized games like COD5 have a very obnoxious loading-disc noise. Whenever I'm playing the game, I can hear the disc constantly spinning and changing speeds, and it was really nice to be able to use the HD feature for that particular game. I have no clue why COD5 does this.. but Halo barely makes any noise, so I didn't even bother to have that one installed to the HD.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
actually, cod:waw (online portion) has issues with the install, some games wont load or freeze... i dont have cod5 but a friend of mine was complaining, and after i read about halo 3 i told him to uninstall it from the HD... after that it worked fine.

i think a couple games will need patches so the game is more "aware" of its installation, maybe they can alter the cache behavior or something.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #13 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 03:55 PM

Installing a game to the hd made a HUGE difference in the noise my 360 makes when playing a game.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-23-2008, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 391
I do agree on the noise decreasing. Much better to play on now.

I also have COD 5 installed to the HD and have had no issues at all, both offline and online.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #15 of 16 Old 11-23-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSuave View Post

but... I have 20 or so arcade games installed to my HD (I guess, attached to my gamertag as well). I can play all 20 of those games on any console (as long as I'm logged in under my gamertag and have the HD plugged in). In fact, I've been through now 6 xbox's thanks to the RROD, and I've moved my original HD through all 6 systems as well, and never had any issues with the installed arcade games.

I'm 100% on that fact - I just tested Geometry Wars 2 on both my bedroom and living room consoles.

i also have that issue. i figured out however that as long you're plugged into xbox live and with the gamertag you purchased your arcade games with, the games will play. be it on the original console or a new one or a friends. BUT if you log into your gamertag and lets say your live membership passes without renewing AND you dont have the original console your purchased the arcade games on, then the games wont play.
i know that's a whole lot of possibilities but they have occured.

maybe, in the end, it may be better for you to buy another hdd. be it used or new. and just have your gamertag on a memory card. that way i think you can do a gamertag recovery on the new hdd and download all your arcade games, then put gamertag info on a memory card. then your only problems would be moving your memory card and any actual game disc with you.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-24-2008, 08:14 AM

Liked: 93
" BUT if you log into your gamertag and lets say your live membership passes without renewing"

Live Silver never needs renewing, and that connects you to Live. Live Gold has nothing to do with your ownership of Live Arcade games.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page