List of actual 1080p games for Xbox 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sad, but despite the back of the box of the game you buy which says "1080p", its more then likely the game is nothing more then 720p upscaled to 1080p. In reality most games you buy should say "upscaled to 1080p" on the box.

Does anyone have an accurate list of what games are actually 1080p? If you post a game tittle can you please add a source which proves it is actually 1080p. Sadly the list below which I have is short, and even more sad doesn't come from a great source. Personally I think the list below is more wishful thinking then reality.

Honestly I personally think the amount of games that are actually 1080p is less then 10.

http://www.makeyougohmm.com/xbox360-1080p-games/

A (2)
All Pro Football 2K8
Armored Core 4

B (4)
Battlefield 2 (Platinum Hits)
The Bigs
Bioshock
Bullet Witch

C (3)
Call of Duty 3
Call of Juarez
Command & Conquer 3

D (2)
Dead or Alive 4 (Platinum Hits)
Dance Dance Revolution Universe

F (2)
Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fight Night Round 3

G (1)
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

H (3)
Harry Potter
Halo 3
Hour of Victory

I (1)
Icon

M (2)
Meet The Robinsons
Monster Madness Battle for Suburbia

N (2)
NCAA 08 Football
NCAA 07 March Madness

O (1)
Overlord

P (1)
Pirates of the Carribean

R (2)
Ratatouilio
Rayman Raving Rabbit

S (5)
Saints Row
Shadowrun
Spiderman 3
Superman Returns
Surf's Up

T (2)
Tetris Evolution
Two Worlds

U (1)
UEFA Championship Soccer

V (1)
Vampire Rain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Most of the games you have listed here does not produce true 1080P in-game resolution. If you are so inclined, there are countless threads that discuss this issue.

What is really sad is that someone actually cares enough to produce a list. Does it really matter that COD3 runs at 720P instead of 1080P? It is still a fantastic game with gorgeous graphics whether or not it is running at whatever resolution.

Stop counting pixels and start playing and actually enjoy games for what they are.
post #3 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Does it really matter that COD3 runs at 720P instead of 1080P?

YES. Compare Geometry Wars (720p) to Geometry Wars 2 (1080p). Geometry Wars 2 looks so much sharper and nicer. Yes that extra res does make a difference, a big one.

That said, 360 was never about 1080p, that was PS3's game, and neither system can really do it. So 720p is fine for now, but I really would love to see more 1080p games moving forward.
post #4 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
so the real question is does it run or look any better or worse if you put it to 720p?

Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core i7 920@2.67ghz, 1.5TB HDDx2, 8GB DDR3@1066mhz, Nvidia Geforce GT220
post #5 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
That list is just so flawed. For example, Halo 3 is known to only natively render at 6xxp (less than 720p).

The problem is that the limited hardware resource (memory) and processing power makes current gen consoles, both Xbox 360 and PS3, incapable of rendering 1080p games while maintain a complex story line, level, effects, physics and other stuff that makes a game truely worth playing. So you will find a handful of true 1080p games are usually eye candy only games.
post #6 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Look at games like Gears 2, then look at "full 1080p" games like virtua tennis, and tell me which looks better
post #7 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

...both Xbox 360 and PS3, incapable of rendering 1080p games while maintain a complex story line, level, effects, physics and other stuff that makes a game truely worth playing. So you will find a handful of true 1080p games are usually eye candy only games.

That's so true. I heard that they were going to add one more sub-plot element to the Bioshock story but then they realized the 360 just didn't have the processing power to handle it.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #8 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Most of the games you have listed here does not produce true 1080P in-game resolution. If you are so inclined, there are countless threads that discuss this issue.

What is really sad is that someone actually cares enough to produce a list. Does it really matter that COD3 runs at 720P instead of 1080P? It is still a fantastic game with gorgeous graphics whether or not it is running at whatever resolution.

Stop counting pixels and start playing and actually enjoy games for what they are.

God I couldnt agree more with you.. about the resolution crybabies. Whatever happened to having fun??????

The onslaught of quality gameplay, multiplayer online, GREAT looking titles are absolutely incredible this generation. I honestly cant even keep up. And I doubt if most people can. There are entirely too many to choose from.

If youre that concerned about native 1080p gaming.. then I dont think the $199 Xbox is your answer. You need to look into much more expensive PC gaming.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #9 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Look at games like Gears 2, then look at "full 1080p" games like virtua tennis, and tell me which looks better

exactly.

When you go on to more "common" boards, such as IGN, it seems like huge amount of gamers don't even have HD displays, and if they do its in the form 20-24 monitor hooked via VGA that there sitting right in front of.
post #10 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

exactly.

When you go on to more "common" boards, such as IGN, it seems like huge amount of games don't even have HD displays, and if they do its in the form 20-24 monitor hooked via VGA that there sitting right in front of.

i take it by games you meant gamers? but if so, you're right. i remember going over over to co-workers house last year because he needed me to do some work on his PC, and while i was there he decided to play the PS3 version of COD4 on his 27" RCA television that was connected via comPOSite. then i started cracking up, and his friend that was over looks at me and asks what i'm laughing at, so i tell him and then he tells me that he has the same television hooked up to his PS3 too...

and don't get me wrong, i would never make fun of someone for not being able to afford something, being single and owning my own house, i can understand what it means to have to pass on something because i can't afford it at the time. the thing that really cracked me up is that when we used to be at work, he says blah blah blah about how the PS3 is better than the 360, when he doesn't even know how good either of them REALLY are considering the circumstances. i saw him about a month or so ago, and he started laughing and told me that he just got a new 32" Samsung 550, and i started laughing and told him that's EXACTLY what i use for my 360...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #11 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 01:07 PM

No AAA titles (or any game of signicant substance) will be 1080p -they need the processing power (and memory) for much more than just frame-rendering. Games like Geometry Wars 2 can do 1080p because they are simple in design and construction -a throwback to an earlier (Asteriods could run on a VIC 20) generation of games. And I'm not knocking simple design -GW2 is a brilliant game.

A reality check on the hardware gets you through the hype (and this is true of both the 360 and PS3).

The 360 only has 512 ram (the PS3 even less, if you take unification into account). Rendering a 1080p frame means there is precious little left over for the actual game.

The obsession with rendering resoluion is misguided though. Post-processing is more important. The biggest thing that hit me with Gears of War 2 was the lack of AA. Depending on what is being rendered, the Jaggies really hit you in the eye. Again, it just sucks too much power/memory, and the compromise the developers made was the right one. Frame rate and playability should always win over eye-candy.

For the money, the 360 is a brilliant piece of hardware. Price vs Performance, I think it's currently the best there is. But it is a 720p gaming console. It can do native 1080p, but you will be left with only a couple of donkey's in the engine bay.

ps. this reminds me of when the 360 was launched -it was actually the Gears of War team (Epic) that convinced MS they needed the 360 to be a 512K machine, as versus 256, which was their original plan. Thank god for that, or else it would have been the PS3 with the distinct technical edge, as versus the other way around. On the other hand, if the PS3 had been designed better (I swear to god I don't know what the engineers were thinking) it should have been a much better performing piece of hardware.
post #12 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I remember Epic pleading for 512. Wonder what GOW would look like with only 256? MS promised us all and hyped the 360 as true 720p at the very minimum with all games. Sony being even worse and promising full 1080p at the minimum for all games. Neither has delivered. That is why people are pissed. Shame on you Sony and MS. The next gen of consoles should be at 1080p standard for ALL games. No excuse. The problem I see with that though is cost of making the console and then what they could sell it to the consumer for. I still say the jump from this gen to last is really not that much if you look at it. The a.i. is still stale. Where is some innovation? I think they are all running out of ideas finally. The graphics have shown improvement. But, not like ps1 to ps2 difference. I remember when Madden came out for ps2. That was a MASSIVE jump in graphics. Maybe I had to many high hopes for these current gen consoles. I cannot help it though. MS and Sony really made you feel the jump was going to be huge.
post #13 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

God I couldnt agree more with you.. about the resolution crybabies. Whatever happened to having fun??????

There's room for both discussions.

Games are about fun, but some people like to obsess over the presentation of their fun. Movies are about story/characters, but that doesn't stop certain people from obsessing over aspect ratio, seven channel surround sound, etc..

While these details might not interest you, AVS is a good place to discuss maximizing entertainment presentation -- please remember the forum you are in.
post #14 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

There's room for both discussions.

Games are about fun, but some people like to obsess over the presentation of their fun. Movies are about story/characters, but that doesn't stop certain people from obsessing over aspect ratio, seven channel surround sound, etc..

While these details might not interest you, AVS is a good place to discuss maximizing entertainment presentation -- please remember the forum you are in.

Well said.

and I will say it again. And I say this as I believe that the majourity of people here are playing on HD.

But when you wander off the AVSF you find alot of people not playing HD or not even using new connection standards, as per told in the previous story. Or even caring about HD.

Look at the Wii, it just went for fun (through I hate it)

I'm hoping next gen there will be enough horsepower and talented people that it will be hard for the developers not to spend time on the fun factor of there game.

Fable 2 for me was a game that had some eye candy, didn't look bad inless you wanted to get critical and start looking at the textures on things.

It was the right mix of fun and graphics.

As for stale AI and games I think that comes about from people getting to upset with pixel counts, AA/AF........ and not focusing on the game. Or they just have bland desings/lack inovation.
post #15 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

/B].

I think its reasonable to expect what is being printed on the packaging. Real 1080p looks better then 720p. Maybe you dont have a monitor that shows this, but I do. I enjoy games at 480p and 720p, but that is not the point.

The point is 1080p looks better, 1080p is whats printed on the package and 1080p is what my system is set up to do. To me part of the enjoyment of video games are the graphics and look of the game as much as the actual game itself. It has always been that way for me in my 20+ years of gaming history.
post #16 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

I think its reasonable to expect what is being printed on the packaging. Real 1080p looks better then 720p. Maybe you dont have a monitor that shows this, but I do. I enjoy games at 480p and 720p, but that is not the point.

The point is 1080p looks better, 1080p is whats printed on the package and 1080p is what my system is set up to do. To me part of the enjoyment of video games are the graphics and look of the game as much as the actual game itself. It has always been that way for me in my 20+ years of gaming history.

It wouldn't appear anyone is disputing 1080p is noticeably better than 720p, they're just pointing out that it's not possible and therefor pointless to be upset about not having. Sure every game released for the 360 and PS3 could theoretically render at 1080p, but that game would take a serious hit to any combination of framerate, poly count, lighting effects, physics, texture resolution and AA. As far as I'm concerned, and I'm sure others feel this way to, all those things are a lot more important than resolution once you've already crossed the boundary into HD.

So yes, 1080p would be nice, but it's not feasible for these systems to render they're best looking games at that resolution. So then as the previous poster mentioned: Why would one complain about it?

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
post #17 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

The graphics have shown improvement. But, not like ps1 to ps2 difference. I remember when Madden came out for ps2. That was a MASSIVE jump in graphics. Maybe I had to many high hopes for these current gen consoles. I cannot help it though. MS and Sony really made you feel the jump was going to be huge.

The issue is that even though the hardware improved (3 core CPU with 2 threads per core; An ATI Videocard with similar performance to a HD3850; and 512K shared ram) the resolution increased as well (typically native 720p, up or downscaled to the output resolution).

The result is that the new hardware did not actually give us much more than what we had in the previous generation, when you take the resolution jump into account. It's quite possible that the same sort of thing could happen in the next generation which will no doubt render at native 1080p. In fact, Ironically, if they had considered allowing developers to produce native 480p games, we might have seen a greater improvement in other areas of the game (such as load times/frequency; post processing effects; physics and AI). Obviously, native 480p would have been a marketing nightmare for a console that was supposedly nextgen -but it didn't stop Nintendo from conecting with the mainstream of people who don't care about such details.

Having said all that, other aspects, such as Xbox Live have come a long way; we've got the best wireless controllers on the market (they have even made their way to the PC). I do think the 360 should have had support for 802.11n, but you can work around that.
post #18 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

MS promised us all and hyped the 360 as true 720p at the very minimum with all games

Except that hasn't happened, either. The system's flagship title was 640p (Halo 3), and the biggest selling game of the generation is only 600p. Look, I know the whole deal about performance, and sacrificing res for other things, and so forth, but its still a fact that these systems have not measured up to what the manufacturers claimed. Whether or not it was a good idea to make CoD4 run at 600p to get a solid 60fps (and I think it WAS a good idea), it's still a fact that we are losing 33% of the detail because the hardware couldn't do the game at 720p/60fps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

It was the right mix of fun and graphics.

So, you can't have them both? I have been playing Fable 2, and its great looking except for the obvious problems - inconsistent framerate, no v-sync, long loading times, etc. The 360 seems barely able to handle this game, which concerns me for the games coming out in 1-2 years that are even more ambitious. My guess is we will see a lot more sub-720p games as the complexity grows and the system struggles to keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 View Post

Ironically, if they had considered allowing developers to produce native 480p games, we might have seen a greater improvement in other areas of the game (such as load times/frequency; post processing effects; physics and AI).

I have read just that argument elsewhere. Yea, we probably would've been pretty close to photorealistic but it was obviously not to be. Well, it made sense for MS to move to HD, it would've looked awfully silly selling a 480p console next to all these HDTVs, but it is still an interesting thing to think about.

Quote:

The graphics have shown improvement. But, not like ps1 to ps2 difference. I remember when Madden came out for ps2. That was a MASSIVE jump in graphics. Maybe I had to many high hopes for these current gen consoles. I cannot help it though. MS and Sony really made you feel the jump was going to be huge.

I don't think you will EVER see a jump like that again, even if the consoles were 5X more powerful than they are. It all comes down to image quality. PSX hardware was pretty dreadful, most textures weren't filtered, no z-buffering, no mip-mapping, etc. N64 had some of these features but it also had an extremely small texture cache (whic hled to the "vaseline smear" you see in all but 2 or 3 N64 games) and a general low-poly look to everything (the N64 couldn't render as many polygons as the PSX). So the PSX made everything look like a pixelly, splotchy mess and the N64 made everything look smeary and simple. PS2 and Xbox came out and the graphics were solid - smooth and filtered textures, lighting, good details in the scenes, solid framerate, all of that. That jump to solid, decent image quality was everything - anything going forward is just extra.
post #19 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The only console I was even hoping for 1080p on was the PS3. Heck, I distinctly remember them talking about dual 1080p with 2 HDMI outputs. I figured even for a 100% hype inflation I'd be left with a single 1080p capable console - not to be and a scaling fiasco to boot. The 360 always had lower expectations. That said, I enjoy the console and games. They look much better than last gen regardless of resolution or scaling.

Right now PCs are the only game in town for 1080p rendering. The back of the box is an output compatibility chart moreso than a proof of rendering resolution. Heck, video games are all rendered in progressive so putting 1080i on there would be a false statement since interlacing is introduced after the fact.

Basically the games are good, at this point there should be no surprise left as to graphics capabilities on these consoles. It's been done over and over for since the 360's launch and the reason you don't see it discussed anymore is that people understand the reality and have moved on. Next gen should provide the 1080p everyone is looking for.

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
post #20 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

YES. Compare Geometry Wars (720p) to Geometry Wars 2 (1080p). Geometry Wars 2 looks so much sharper and nicer. Yes that extra res does make a difference, a big one.

That said, 360 was never about 1080p, that was PS3's game, and neither system can really do it. So 720p is fine for now, but I really would love to see more 1080p games moving forward.

Right on point there with that thought. I went back to play Geometry Wars 1 to see if my skills had been improved by playing GW2. I thought I was playing some archaic game. The difference was night and day damn near. I remember when playing GW1 when it first came out, I thought it's graphics were incredible. Then playing GW2 in native 1080p and looking back makes me wonder how good a game like GoW2 or H3 would look in 1080p.

I know some can just be satisfied with just a good storyline or gameplay, but graphics can be a deal killer if either of the previous is just meh for me.

Video games have come a long way from the Atari 2600 but I am definitely looking forward to when gaming can be done in pure 1080p goodness. Hopefully something like GoW3...
post #21 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

Video games have come a long way from the Atari 2600 but I am definitely looking forward to when gaming can be done in pure 1080p goodness. Hopefully something like GoW3...

Graphics are the initial thing that hooks me in. Gameplay is king, but it really keeps me playing when I can admire the scenery, high polygon count and/or smooth framerate from time to time. For as great a game as Mario Galaxy is... I just have a hard time playing at 480p anymore.

If the next-gen consoles can do Gears of War 2 (...or God of War 2 even!) quality graphics @ 1080p with locked 60 frames per second, it will be a great achievement. WipEout HD on the PS3 currently does it, so it is possible.
post #22 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 View Post

No AAA titles (or any game of signicant substance) will be 1080p -they need the processing power (and memory) for much more than just frame-rendering. Games like Geometry Wars 2 can do 1080p because they are simple in design and construction -a throwback to an earlier (Asteriods could run on a VIC 20) generation of games. And I'm not knocking simple design -GW2 is a brilliant game.

This should not be overlooked. The arcade games are where the 360 can reasonably support true 1080p and get some actual benefit without sacrificing graphical quality.

I'm not sure exactly how many of the other arcade games may be rendered in true 1080p but I would like to see this listed in Xbox live. It apparently was an issue in fact for the recent release of Street Fighter II HD Remix where Microsoft lifted the 150mb restriction so the game could support full high resolution:

Quote:

"Given the sizeable content in Bionic Commando Rearmed and Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Microsoft allowed Capcom to work with a larger file size limit for both of those titles in order to provide gamers with the game experience that Capcom desired, such as full hi-res textures (on Bionic Commando Rearmed) or 1080p support (for SSFIIT)," said the Capcom rep. "The Xbox Live Arcade versions of both titles will have complete feature and graphical parity with the iterations that will be available on other platforms.

Evidently MS doesn't want to allow Sony to have 1080p versions of big arcade games while the 360 get's stuck with 720p or less. The game looks beautiful btw.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #23 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

That probably has more to do with the actual improvements to the game rather than the 'stated' resolution

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #24 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

This should not be overlooked. The arcade games are where the 360 can reasonably support true 1080p and get some actual benefit without sacrificing graphical quality.

I'm not sure exactly how many of the other arcade games may be rendered in true 1080p but I would like to see this listed in Xbox live. It apparently was an issue in fact for the recent release of Street Fighter II HD Remix where Microsoft lifted the 150mb restriction so the game could support full high resolution:

Evidently MS doesn't want to allow Sony to have 1080p versions of big arcade games while the 360 get's stuck with 720p or less. The game looks beautiful btw.

Yea, MS has to lift that damn limit. Seriously does it matter anymore? How many people without harddrive's are buying Arcade titles? Serious beans do away with the limit and stop restricting Arcade developers. They've already had a few releases go over there current cap (what is it now 512mb?) so why the hell not let devs go wild.

post #25 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I'm not going to dismiss the benefits of a higher resolution, but its easy to get caught up in the 1080p/720p discussion and miss out on the fact that there's a lot more than just resolution that goes into realistic graphics and if I'd much rather have the focus going into lighting/shadows, cloth and hair and physics engines along with more varied textures than squeezing out more pixels. Resolution only does so much, you could render Madden out at 4k resolutions, it still isn't going to look as real as a live game on a 10 year old 480i tv until the other areas catch up.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #26 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i dont understand the push for 1080p.

i mean, i do have a 1080p set, but i'd rather have games in true 720p, 8xFSAA, supersampling, hinting, anisotropic filtering, higher quality textures and lighting, uncompressed or lossless sound, etc etc.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #27 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch View Post

It wouldn't appear anyone is disputing 1080p is noticeably better than 720p, they're just pointing out that it's not possible and therefor pointless to be upset about not having. Sure every game released for the 360 and PS3 could theoretically render at 1080p, but that game would take a serious hit to any combination of framerate, poly count, lighting effects, physics, texture resolution and AA. As far as I'm concerned, and I'm sure others feel this way to, all those things are a lot more important than resolution once you've already crossed the boundary into HD.

So yes, 1080p would be nice, but it's not feasible for these systems to render they're best looking games at that resolution. So then as the previous poster mentioned: Why would one complain about it?

Why would one complain about it?

Here is an example: the back of every 360 game I have says 1080p when its not. We all agree 1080p is better then 720p. If 1080p cant work because of framerate, poly count, lighting effects etc then perhaps its time for MS to correctly label games.

At least I know what the next gen gaming console can offer which this cant. I wonder how they will market it....

"Real 1080p games as opposed the upconverted 1080p that we fooled you into believing was 1080p on the 360"

Im being a little sarcastic, but also realistic. Its not about if things look good the way they are..its about the 360 being a bottle neck in my system (and many others) and miss-representation on the part of people who label the back of games.

1080p is next gen for movies IMO...not 720p. Today i dont even think 720p is hi def. I have the exact same feeling towards games. Does anyone here think the xbox 360 has ever been marked as being "amazing next gen 720p" or have you heard "1080p"?
post #28 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

i dont understand the push for 1080p.

i mean, i do have a 1080p set, but i'd rather have games in true 720p, 8xFSAA, supersampling, hinting, anisotropic filtering, higher quality textures and lighting, uncompressed or lossless sound, etc etc.

I agree that I would rather have a good frame rate etc with 720p then crap with 1080p...but why cant you have it all 1080p? and if you cant it should be made clear.

BTW ...personally the push for 1080p is for more noticable resolution. If you have 50" or less screen then this is a moot point to you. I have a bigger display...and plan on going even bigger.

I would suggest that people who consider 720p to be equal to or close enough to 1080p to not even participate in this thread. Fact is you have not had a chance to properly be exposed to the difference if you feel it is the same or even close close.
post #29 of 74 Old 11-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

I agree that I would rather have a good frame rate etc with 720p then crap with 1080p...but why cant you have it all 1080p? and if you cant it should be made clear.

BTW ...personally the push for 1080p is for more noticable resolution. If you have 50" or less screen then this is a moot point to you. I have a bigger display...and plan on going even bigger.

I would suggest that people who consider 720p to be equal to or close enough to 1080p to not even participate in this thread. Fact is you have not had a chance to properly be exposed to the difference if you feel it is the same or even close close.

Well on displays 50" and less 720p vs 1080p is a moot point as you have to be sitting stupidly close to see a noticeable difference. So there that's the vast majority of people. Even when you do pass 50" 720p still looks fantastic, if you disagree there's an army of people over in the "Below-$3000 Projector" forum who would love to dispute it with you. Sure 1080p offers an advantage over 720p, but even if the next XBox can render good looking games at that resolution it seems like kind of a waste. Fact is the vast majority of people are going to notice and be able to enjoy better textures, higher poly counts, 8xAA, better lighting, better physics and other things that may not be possible when you dump a large amount of system resources into doubling the render resolution from the current standard.

So then why should developers use those precious resources to make that resolution increase, which will benefit the minority in one way. When instead they could use those resources to make a host of changes that will make a significantly more than noticeable difference for everyone.

Edit: O by the way you can say you don't consider 720p high-definition because you've seen the great holy light of 1080p but that would be like me arguing I don't consider Dolby Digital to be true surround sound because I've had the experience of enjoying 7.1 lossless audio.

post #30 of 74 Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch View Post

Even when you do pass 50" 720p still looks fantastic, if you disagree there's an army of people over in the "Below-$3000 Projector" forum who would love to dispute it with you. .

im sure we can agree why they would argue that
Reply Xbox Area