Netflix is saying my connection is too slow?? When it isn't - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 186 Old 12-01-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any issues with Netflix saying your connection is too slow?
I went to speedtest.net and it shows what I should have. Rebooted router and xbox and still same thing. Resorted to playing COD 5 instead of a movie
If I clicked on ok it was showing only 1 bar when I normally have all 4.
My router shows all the computers and devices and there was nothing moving on the network. No downloads or uploads. This happened sunday night. It was fine on friday and saturday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 186 Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Can you confirm how you connect your 360 to your router?

ie. ethernet or wireless?

The reason I ask is that if you are getting a good speedtest, then maybe it's not the connection to the internet that is the problem, but wireless interference between your router and xbox. Of course if you are connecting via a cable then that blows that theory..
post #3 of 186 Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

do a speedtest to san jose cali... thats where netflix servers are.
post #4 of 186 Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 PM

What did the speedtest show?
post #5 of 186 Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

do a speedtest to san jose cali... thats where netflix servers are.

I've always wondered about this. I am not much of a computer guy, and whenever I go to speedtest.net, you have to pick a server to test to. I live in minneapolis, so it always suggests there. Usually I get good speed and low ping. However, a lot of time I pick somewhere in california, for example, and the speed slows considerably and ping goes up.

Can someone explain. Intuatively this makes sense, that it takes longer to get the data a further distance, but should I be testing to Washington to get a true idea of LIVE performance for example. Or like jagouar above mentions testing to San Jose to get an accurate Netflix speed.
post #6 of 186 Old 12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

the more "hops" the connection takes the slower the ping and more likely less available speed. but in the other thread somebody did a tracert and it shows netflix servers are in san jose so running speed tests to san jose will be the only way to really tell if you are getting enough speed.
post #7 of 186 Old 12-01-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I've learned to ignore the speed meter. I usually get 2 out 5 but got 4 out 5 suddenly this weekend and the movie and a lot of artifacts in it, then two hours later I got 1 out 5 and the movie was pretty solid quality wise.
post #8 of 186 Old 12-01-2008, 04:13 PM

You could do a trace rt and see exactly where the slowdown is.
post #9 of 186 Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm having the same exact issue. Netflix worked flawlessly for a few days but now when ever I want to use it I get the "your connection has slowed message" two to three times a viewing.

My 360 is wireless (don't ask me to hook it up via ethernet, it's not possible). I'd love any info on a possible fix. My connection appears to be fast enough to handle it.

post #10 of 186 Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 PM

I live in arctic Canada. The internet connections are simliar to dial-up modems. I purchased one video off of the xbox. By the time the movie finished downloading, the movie expired and I was not able to watch it
post #11 of 186 Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

One other thing to watch for with Netflix's speed test: if you choose an HD movie, the test will measure differently. I get four bars consistently with SD movies, but only two bars with HD movies.
post #12 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have never gotten more than 2 bars. I have no idea how to make it faster. it seems to look ok, but I don't think that any of the HD ones are showing in HD. I am hooked up to my router by ethernet.
post #13 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 AM

Liked: 11
Also QOS makes it slower as well. Netflix on the xbox hates it when QOS is on. I get a max of 2 bars when it is. When I turn it off though I get 4-5 or whatever full is. And I am in Indiana which is far from Cali.

Xbox GT: Codester
post #14 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 201
What is QOS?

I'm in Toronto and have never had less than 4 bars at the start. The only time mine has dropped in quality was an SD movie that I kept starting and stopping and fast forwarding/rewinding through. I think the drop in quality was due to all the changes I was making though.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #15 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 AM
A.C
Advanced Member

i often begin with 4 bars, then re-buffer with reduced quality. its kinda annoying... but it usually happens 30s into the movie then holds strong.

i'm in columbus, oh

XBL: HiFi Buckeye
PSN: hifibuckeye
post #16 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

What is QOS?

I'm in Toronto and have never had less than 4 bars at the start. The only time mine has dropped in quality was an SD movie that I kept starting and stopping and fast forwarding/rewinding through. I think the drop in quality was due to all the changes I was making though.

I think I read in a previous thread that your, or well your xbox live, was orginally from the states, but anyways how you getting netflix in Canada?
post #17 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 AM

Geography doesn't have much to do with it. Distance makes a difference in latency (ie. ping times) because no one has found a way to break the speed of light. But you can't tell the distance your packets travel by looking at a map. Your packets are most likely not going to take a direct path. For bandwidth it's all a matter of congestion in the peerings between providers. You may be able to get 20mb/s to speedtest.net in San Jose for instance because your provider has plenty of bandwidth to speedtest.net's provider. However if Netflix is in San Jose but using a different provider whose links to your provider are congested you'll get different results. Additionally may be using a content distribution network like Akamai and therefore serving videos from different points.
post #18 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 AM

jgibo1 (OP), I live just up the road from you in Frisco and I can't get more than 1 bar. Started out getting 4 bars fairly often. I blame time warner cable as they are the root of all evil. Could TW be putting some IP based throttle on Netflix? I am able to game, download movies from Live, etc. without issue.

Steve
post #19 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

I think I read in a previous thread that your, or well your xbox live, was orginally from the states, but anyways how you getting netflix in Canada?

Yes. My xbox and live account are from the states. With a US based live account, the netflix blade will show up and you can activate the xbox as a netflix ready device. In order to activate it on netflix's website, you will need to access the netflix website through a US based proxy server. All internet traffic where I work is routed through NYC so I can add movies to my watch instantly cue from the office. I can do it from home as well, but I have to connect through the VPN. You can also use a proxy server. Google anonymous proxy and you will come up with various services. I think you will still need a US based live account and a netflix account (which requires a US billing address).

post #20 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i'm also getting spotty quality on my netflix SD and HD rentals via the new xbox interface. i usually get 2 bars and highly compressed looking video, but even when i get 4 bars the so-called "hd content" is nowhere near HD quality.
post #21 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigem92 View Post

jgibo1 (OP), I live just up the road from you in Frisco and I can't get more than 1 bar. Started out getting 4 bars fairly often. I blame time warner cable as they are the root of all evil. Could TW be putting some IP based throttle on Netflix? I am able to game, download movies from Live, etc. without issue.

Steve

I have it hooked up with ethernet. and I have Time Warner too. Wish there was Fios here in The Colony. One thing I forgot to mention is I tried to watch a movie on my wireless laptop and it gave me 3 bars but instead of playting said I could only watch one movie at a time. I even turned my 360 off and still got the message. Didn't feel like calling Netflix. Just went back to playing a game instead.
Didn't try yesterday. Was wanting to finish campaign of COD: World at War.
Will try tonight.
post #22 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 02:28 PM

My netflix was 3 bars on the xbox consistently for the first week or so. The past 4 days have been 1 bar and HD doesn't work. I suspect Netflix needs to buy more trucks.
post #23 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

It's happened to me in the past while buffering but I've always had a set of full bars, be it SD or HD content.
post #24 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfutu View Post

I live in arctic Canada. The internet connections are simliar to dial-up modems. I purchased one video off of the xbox. By the time the movie finished downloading, the movie expired and I was not able to watch it

LOL! Sorry if true, but funny either way.

Comcast uses their boost the first few seconds of a d/l. So, you get compensation once that shuts off. What I usually do is let the movie run for a bit, then hit 'B' button to back out...and go back into the movie. Usually things have leveled out and all is well. I only need to do this on HD movies, SD is always four bars and no compensation (I am wireless on 360).

The ozone layer or cheese in a spray can? Don't make me choose
post #25 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
so, i take it that some people are seeing decent looking HD content form netflix via their 360? HD content i've bought on xbox marketplace looks great on my setup, the HD i've seen from netflix barely looks SD!
post #26 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I believe I read somewhere the bars for HD only goes to two and the bars for SD goes to four.
post #27 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

no they both go to 4.... but if you get 1 or 2 bars on a hd stream it will not show in hd.... only sd.
post #28 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if this is only affecting certain "major" providers.... for instance my cable internet routes to netflix via llnw.net which is limelight networks and i only get 2-3 mbits during peak times.
post #29 of 186 Old 12-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Happening to me currently...

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
post #30 of 186 Old 12-03-2008, 07:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

so, i take it that some people are seeing decent looking HD content form netflix via their 360? HD content i've bought on xbox marketplace looks great on my setup, the HD i've seen from netflix barely looks SD!

The movies I watched in HD looked fine. Definitely better than SD but not as good as bluray. I had 4 bars on all of them though. Don't know what it would look like with less.

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page