Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.......*2* - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The sounds seem better, crisper in WaW and some of the maps I really like. There aren't any I "hate" like in 4. I can't stand Bloc.

At any rate, I'm sure MW2's sounds will be just as good as WaW, hopefully they give us a TrueHD option!

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

W@W could have worked if it was IW. As it is, W@W is broken. The multiplayer needs a patch in the worst way and the grenade fest single player is just one big frustrating mess. I'm playing my way through COD2 and just loving it.

I'm only buying IW COD (or MW) games going forward.

Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong View Post

unless there is a huge sale on the next Treyarch COD

Nope.

Unless its Modern Warfare 3.

Which I get the feeling Infinity Ward is going to have the exclusive rights to be the sole developer of the Modern Warfare series. What they have done with COD4.. is ground breaking in my opinion. And most people will agree it is the best console shooter out, period.

One thing is for sure, every shooter from here on out will be compared to and measured against COD4. The same cannot be said for COD5:W@W.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Even better I'd put a friendly wager to say COD MW2 blows W@W's sales completely out of the water. It will match or exceed COD4 sales.

What you are saying is like saying The Dark Knight did badly because it only made $500 million versus Titanic $600 million. If MW2 sells 9 million versus W@W 7 million we are talking about one giant blockbuster versus another.
post #184 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

I've never finished the SP game either. I think the Sniper level is as far as I got.

Shooting human controlled enemies is just way more fun anything the computer/A.I. could provide.

Exactly which is why the COD series (no matter the period/setting) are my games of choice. I find no enjoyment in being a 400 pound thing running though warehouses with oversized guns. The realism of COD is what attracts me to the game. I don't want to shoot aliens or birds or anything like that I want to shot good old humans with actual real life weapons (past or present) in the face.

I never argue with fools cause from a distance you canÂt tell who is who....
post #185 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

I don't remember 4 having a $35 sales day a few months back either.

Or get pre-packaged with Behind Enemy Lines, like my COD4 copy did when I bought it at BB.

COD4 used still sells for $55. That tells you something about a game that's been out for almost a year and a half.

FWIW, Behind Enemy Lines is still in shrink wrap.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #186 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

CoD4 is I think the top selling game of this generation. I don't even think Modern Warfare 2 is gonna outsell it. Yes, World at War is merely one of the best but lets put this into perspective.

Like I said.. I'd bet a friendly wager it will. We can paypal the winnings to whoever is correct.

I think IW's popularity with COD4 guarantees MW2 will outsell it alone. Not to mention theres the simple mathmatical fact there will be more 360 & PS3 owners when MW2. Bigger Audience = Bigger sales.

COD4's sales are amazing enough on the 360. Considering the game launched just a month after Halo3 (the biggest selling game in 360's history). Those were quite some footsteps to follow in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #187 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What you are saying is like saying The Dark Knight did badly because it only made $500 million versus Titanic $600 million..

If you want to make analogies.. choose proper scenarios.

COD4 sold 12 million copies.

How many copies has W@W sold. Unless its 10 million copies.. then your analogy fails.

post #188 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

CoD4 is I think the top selling game of this generation. I don't even think Modern Warfare 2 is gonna outsell it. Yes, World at War is merely one of the best but lets put this into perspective.

Halo 1 was outsold by Halo 2. Halo 2 was then outsold Halo 3.

I cant find a single reason to think Modern Warfare 2 wont outsell Modern Warfare.

Given: a) the popularity of Modern Warfare.. b) more consoles (bigger audience) to sell too

post #189 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

So, your assertion is that World at War was a failure because it sold "only" 7 million copies?

I bet lots of publishers would love to have failures like that.
post #190 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
this is getting interesting...

OmniZombie, you got XBOX, we should play

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #191 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

How many copies has W@W sold. Unless its 10 million copies.. then your analogy fails.

W@W: 10.49 million, not counting PC.... and COD4 has had a years more time to sell what it sold

most games dont sell much after the 6mo mark though.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #192 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So, your assertion is that World at War was a failure because it sold "only" 7 million copies?

I bet lots of publishers would love to have failures like that.

I never said COD5 was a failure.

What I said was that COD5 lost sales by going back to WWII, instead of sticking with the Modern Warfare theme Your "7 million" copies.. backs up my statement.

The PS3 has sold 20 million consoles. That number sounds pretty good, until you realize the PS2 sold twice that number in the same amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

W@W: 10.49 million, not counting PC.... and COD4 has had a years more time to sell what it sold

most games dont sell much after the 6mo mark though.

That number is also including sales of the Wii edition, which sold almost 2 million copies. COD4 was never available on the Wii.

Compare COD4 to COD5 sales on the PS3, 360, PC & DS where they were both available. And there is a considerable difference. COD5 being a sequel to one of the most popular games in videogame history, should have sold lots more.

post #193 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never said COD5 was a failure.

What I said was that COD5 lost sales by going back to WWII, instead of sticking with the Modern Warfare theme Your "7 million" copies.. backs up my statement.

That number is also including sales of the Wii edition, which sold almost 2 million copies. COD4 was never available on the Wii.

Compare COD4 to COD5 sales on the PS3 & 360. And there is a considerable difference. COD5 being a sequel to one of the most popular games in videogame history, should have sold lots more.

But I've read numerous times that these games are 2 year dev projects, which is why Activision has 2 developers. If that is the case, WAW would have been 1 year in development by the time MW hit the shelves. It would have been tough to throw away 1 year of development to change the entire game. Also, maybe IW had some agreement in place where they were the only ones that could do a MW game....

There are numerous business factors that we just don't know about.

post #194 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The PS3 has sold 20 million consoles. That number sounds pretty good, until you realize the PS2 sold twice that number in the same amount of time.

If you are going to judge it on a relative basis, then judge it on a relative basis. The PS3's number is crap because many other consoles have sold more units in that amount of time. Even if W@W did not sell as much as CoD4, it still sold better than literally 99.9% of games released this generation.

Whether or not its because of WW2, I dunno. I think its because the game was virtually a WW2 mod for CoD4. A lot of people probably said, eh I'll just stick to the old one. In any case, if Treyarch wasn't on W@W, there would've been no CoD this year. W@W was just gravy for Activision.
post #195 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hoosier.. and thats a great explanation why COD5 was made to be a WWII game by Treyarch (or whatever their name is). I've honestly never read an official explanation for why they chose to go the WWII route, but that definitely makes sense. What I do know is that Treyarch had more than enough time to copy IW's Multiplayer scheme from COD4. So its hard to say exactly how long that game was in development.

Not to mention the COD4 MP beta was available during the late summer of 2007 I believe. Giving Treyarch extra time to examine the playability & popularity of Modern Warfare.

I agree that IW will probably be the exclusive developer of Modern Warfare series. They've already stated, as quoted in this thread, that MW will be made into a series of its own.

post #196 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
D,

If you can stomach it, give W@W SP a spin and stick it out to the end. The Parliament level/Ending was pretty impressive IMHO.

It's not such a bad idea having a change of scenery in between titles. Can you imagine being the follow-up act to COD4?

"I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply."
post #197 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hoosier.. and thats a great explanation why COD5 was made to be a WWII game by Treyarch (or whatever their name is). I've honestly never read an official explanation for why they chose to go the WWII route, but that definitely makes sense. What I do know is that Treyarch had more than enough time to copy IW's Multiplayer scheme from COD4. So its hard to say exactly how long that game was in development.

Not to mention the COD4 MP beta was available during the late summer of 2007 I believe. Giving Treyarch extra time to examine the playability & popularity of Modern Warfare.

I agree that IW will probably be the exclusive developer of Modern Warfare series. They've already stated, as quoted in this thread, that MW will be made into a series of its own.

Yes, they used IW's engine for MP. Not sure if that was the plan or if it was after the fact. I wonder what will happen with Treyarch in 2010. MW is off limtis, WWII has been played out. Maybe Nam or something. Thats semi modern.

post #198 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's like putting on a glove and not gettin' any botty

I Geez Zeus Me

post #199 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you are going to judge it on a relative basis, then judge it on a relative basis. The PS3's number is crap because many other consoles have sold more units in that number of time. Even if W@W did not sell as much as CoD4, it still sold better than literally 99.9% of games released this generation..

The points I have made:

1) COD4 was made extremely popular due to its MP and Modern Warfare theme.

2) COD5 was not as popular because it didnt use the MW theme, it went back to WW2.

3) COD6 aka Modern Warfare 2 will be even more popular than Modern Warfare.. and its sales on each platform will reflect that.

You can either agree.. or disagree. I refuse to debate this further, as the argument itself is quickly becoming boring.

post #200 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueCrew View Post

D,

If you can stomach it, give W@W SP a spin and stick it out to the end. The Parliament level/Ending was pretty impressive IMHO.

It's not such a bad idea having a change of scenery in between titles. Can you imagine being the follow-up act to COD4?

Crew.. Id actually like to finish the SP to COD4 first.. before I attempted the SP to COD5.. lol!!

post #201 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you're right, it wasnt avail on the wii... but the wii version sold just barely 1 million, not almost 2 million.

lets compare apples to apples.

cod4 sales = 11.97 (no accurate PC #'s, left out)
time alloted for sales #'s = 17 months
sales per month = 0.7 million

cod5 sales = 08.80 (no accurate PC #'s, left out)
time alloted for sales #'s = 3.5 months (all the #'s are from beg march figures)
sales per month = 2.51 million.

with that being said, i obviously prefer MW over W@W, and i dont think W@W will catch the sales #'s... but you can't treat w@w like it's at the end of it's life cycle... it's fairly new.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #202 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I think someone else said it best earlier - COD5 was riding on the coattails of COD4.

Most of my friends had COD5 before they even purchased 4, if they purchased 4 at all. Reason being, they're all scared to play 4. They know the early adopters of 4 will tool on them, and they all decided 5 would be a fresh start.

MW2 will absolutely smoke those COD5 numbers.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #203 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't care what's going to happen with MW2...I just want it to be here so that I can stop playing COD4...

I want to get that next gold prestige level, I want to get all gold guns again, I want to runt through those difficult challenges ("how the?") and even the retarded ones (jump to your death) and experience new ones (ally oop multi grenade kills), I want to break my 52-9 personal best in core TDM, I want to break my personal kill record of 120 in the new shipment, I just want MW2

and variations in map weather/climate and time of day would be a nice touch!

I Geez Zeus Me

post #204 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want to break my personal kill record of 120 in the new shipment, I just want MW2!

This is one of my only wishes - another Shipment map. Dome didn't cut it in WaW. Love chaos.

Quote:

and variations in map weather/climate and time of day would be a nice touch!

Wow. Never even thought of that. Could make each map into 2 maps in terms of time of day effects. That would be sweet.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #205 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

This is one of my only wishes - another Shipment map. Dome didn't cut it in WaW. Love chaos.

Wow. Never even thought of that. Could make each map into 2 maps in terms of time of day effects. That would be sweet.

yep, dome I had 83-33 or something like that. Not enough...

night dynamics for places like creek/overgrown would be awesome. Total blackout and a camper's paradise. A night shipment would be sweet before the new game comes out. I mean, shoot, it's just easy enough to have DLC to switch climates/time of day and that's it, new maps for everyone...

I Geez Zeus Me

post #206 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

day Bog?

what about a match where it starts with the sun up (late sun set) and then it slowly goes down in the horizon as the match ends or plays the same time as you are during the day or play the same time as the host or even better, play the exact weather conditions at that place (i.e. if they are going to have settings in South America, it would be boring if it was always sunny). It would really push the system's limits but sadly, I think stuff like this is more a possibility in the next gen hardware...

I Geez Zeus Me

post #207 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

you're right, it wasnt avail on the wii... but the wii version sold just barely 1 million, not almost 2 million.

lets compare apples to apples.

cod4 sales = 11.97 (no accurate PC #'s, left out)
time alloted for sales #'s = 17 months
sales per month = 0.7 million

cod5 sales = 08.80 (no accurate PC #'s, left out)
time alloted for sales #'s = 3.5 months (all the #'s are from beg march figures)
sales per month = 2.51 million.

with that being said, i obviously prefer MW over W@W, and i dont think W@W will catch the sales #'s... but you can't treat w@w like it's at the end of it's life cycle... it's fairly new.

That's not apples to apples. You're assuming a linear sales distribution and we all know that sales of games die off after the initial rush...

Salminella has become legend (or something like that):
post #208 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Look at Makin for WaW. They seemed to make a day map pretty quickly out of that. I haven't played it yet, but I've heard it's like playing a new map.

Seems like it would be failry simple to do on a developers part. Much easier then creating new maps from scratch.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #209 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

That's not apples to apples. You're assuming a linear sales distribution and we all know that sales of games die off after the initial rush...

i obviously agree, you can see that i said W@W would not catch cod4. if i believed the logic that you're trying to make everyone think i believed, W@W would have already outsold COD4, because the last month and a half's sales figures aren't included.

my point is, i think that from today on, cod5 will sell more copies than cod4..... i was just saying, its not done, and you can't compare the numbers like he was.... my comparison, while flawed, was crab apples to apples, while he was comparing apples and monster trucks

post #210 of 13772 Old 04-15-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

i obviously agree, you can see that i said W@W would not catch cod4. if i believed the logic that you're trying to make everyone think i believed, W@W would have already outsold COD4, because the last month and a half's sales figures aren't included.

my point is, i think that from today on, cod5 will sell more copies than cod4..... i was just saying, its not done, and you can't compare the numbers like he was.... my comparison, while flawed, was crab apples to apples, while he was comparing apples and monster trucks

is the monster truck red

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page