RF or Other Extender for XBOX 360 Controllers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read elsewhere on this forum that XBOX 360 wireless controllers are RF-based.

I'd like to put my XBOX 360 in a big well-ventilated closet behind my home theater system (much cooler in there and much quieter during operation with all the 360's fans, etc.).

Is there any type of controller extender (RF extender?), hardwired or wireless, that works with the 360's wireless controllers?

Has anyone tried such an extender with any success?

Gaming requires some precision in the controller's response, so is there any problem (lag) with this solution?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-19-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How far away? My controllers will work through 2 walls and a floor from around 40 feet out (I could play from the backyard if I wanted to, and could see the TV)

Sounds like it's just going to be in a closet near where you'll be playing from. Should be fine.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-19-2008, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't think to just put it there and try it (it will be a project)...but two other factors are in order: my large wide-screen TV itself would be directly in between the XBOX and the controller (on a line-of-sight type line), and the front of the closeted XBOX would be pointing away from the controller.

The distance is about 30 feet altogether.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-19-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad999 View Post

I read elsewhere on this forum that XBOX 360 wireless controllers are RF-based.

I'd like to put my XBOX 360 in a big well-ventilated closet behind my home theater system (much cooler in there and much quieter during operation with all the 360's fans, etc.).

Is there any type of controller extender (RF extender?), hardwired or wireless, that works with the 360's wireless controllers?

Has anyone tried such an extender with any success?

Gaming requires some precision in the controller's response, so is there any problem (lag) with this solution?

Thanks for your help.

There's no hardware to do what you'd like. Maybe one day MS will include a driver in teh xbox dashf or the PC xbox 360 wireless controller dongle(which is a USB device so you could use an extension cord) but again the 360 doesn't support it.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-19-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It'll almost certainly work just fine without any kind of extender. Since it's RF, line of sight doesn't matter at all.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
With RF [radio frequency], controller location shouldn't matter; if the controllers were IR [infrared] like a regular TV remote, they would need the direct line of sight.

"We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas." - Agnes Mona Flanders
post #7 of 14 Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
wasnt there already a whole thread dedicated to this? next time you post a thread, try a search first.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=996388
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=812607

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #8 of 14 Old 12-19-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I didn't think to just put it there and try it (it will be a project)...but two other factors are in order: my large wide-screen TV itself would be directly in between the XBOX and the controller (on a line-of-sight type line), and the front of the closeted XBOX would be pointing away from the controller.

The distance is about 30 feet altogether.

I'm am pretty sure you'll be perfectly fine. RF is completely different than IR (where you would need line of sight).

I hope someday all my components are RF or BlueTooth or something similar. IR is just so....inconvenient...for modern day theater projects. I honestly thought they would be by now, but it seems to be taking it's good ol' time.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

The XBOX wireless controllers do indeed work when I put the XBOX in the closet. Thanks for all the useful advice, including those links to other people who had the same problem on avsforum.

I also have an XBOX "remote control" to control DVD content, and strangely, this device is completely line-of-sight and does not work with the XBOX in the closet.

I guess I expect a regular ol' remote control to *require* line-of-sight, but what surprised me was that the XBOX appears to have BOTH types of sensors: RF for the wireless controllers, and that little IR sensor on the front for the XBOX remote control. I figured they would just build in one or the other.

For the XBOX remote control, I think I'm going to have to work out some type of RF reflection/extension capability. Any thoughts or confirmations of this or stories of your own successes are greatly appreciated.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 05:53 PM

Thats the same setup I am running. The controllers and wireless headset work fine.
I also have this:
http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio...0338985&sr=8-1
and I couldnt be any happier. I have 2(on different frequencies),one for the downstairs LCD I mounted on the wall with the equipmet in a closet behind it,and one for my gaming setup that I have a 56" DLP blocking the wall the equipent s behind.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The XBOX wireless controllers do indeed work when I put the XBOX in the closet. Thanks for all the useful advice, including those links to other people who had the same problem on avsforum.

I also have an XBOX "remote control" to control DVD content, and strangely, this device is completely line-of-sight and does not work with the XBOX in the closet.

I guess I expect a regular ol' remote control to *require* line-of-sight, but what surprised me was that the XBOX appears to have BOTH types of sensors: RF for the wireless controllers, and that little IR sensor on the front for the XBOX remote control. I figured they would just build in one or the other.

For the XBOX remote control, I think I'm going to have to work out some type of RF reflection/extension capability. Any thoughts or confirmations of this or stories of your own successes are greatly appreciated.

You're using the Xbox to play DVDs? If you're into home theater enough to have a dedicated equipment closet, I would recommend investing in a better DVD player.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 07:54 PM

Liked: 93
"You're using the Xbox to play DVDs? If you're into home theater enough to have a dedicated equipment closet, I would recommend investing in a better DVD player."

There is something to be said for fewer pieces of equipment. Besides, the 360's DVD player is good enough for most people. As an example, I don't even own a regular DVD player anymore, as I the only time I ever deal with these antiquated things we call "discs" is when I load up a 360 or Wii game.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Good point! It's probably not the best DVD player around, but it will do the job until I get that Blu Ray player I've got my eye on!

I got it for games, but the fact that it *does* play those ol' 480p DVD's is useful to me for now, too.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Just a final follow-up to close the thread with the story of my success.

As many posters above said, I was definitely able to put the XBOX 360 in the closet behind the TV. The wireless controllers work great from the TV room, even with the door to the closet closed. These are definitely RF-based controllers that work at distance with no need for line-of-sight. There is no lag whatsoever; I was able to play twitchy Mirror's Edge all the way through without blaming the controller for any of my in-game deaths.

For the IR remote control, I got an extender from Amazon.com (search "Cables To Go - 40430 - Remote Control Repeater Kit" there). There is a little IR sensor and a connector brick (with its own power supply) in my TV room, and a wire runs from that brick through the wall to the XBOX 360's location. There, the repeater kit provided a IR transmitter that has an adhesive edge that literally sticks on to the IR window on the front of the XBOX 360. This solution works great; I can easily control DVD's playing on the XBOX 360 with the IR remote. (The sensor and the brick each have a blue flickering light on them that I could do without, but I can see why you would want to know that IR signals were indeed being reflected.)

Thanks (again) to the folks who replied. I would not have undertaken the project at all without the AVS posters who said they thought it would be possible and why.
Reply Xbox Area