be prepared for Circuit city closing deals!@!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 287 Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I work at CC here in NY and today they announced that if nobody buys out the store by next Friday there all gone!! Im not a boss or anything but they announced it today. So be ready for a big liquidation sale around!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 287 Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
No offense. But, I hope they die. I hate that store.

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #3 of 287 Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

You'll be singing a different tune when they go under and Best Buy becomes the unchallenged dominant force in the market. It'll be just like when Gamestop bought up EBGames. All of sudden for better or worse EB was gone, Gamestop was the only video game store, and because of that Gamestop actually got worse.

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
post #4 of 287 Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch View Post

You'll be singing a different tune when they go under and Best Buy becomes the unchallenged dominant force in the market. It'll be just like when Gamestop bought up EBGames. All of sudden for better or worse EB was gone, Gamestop was the only video game store, and because of that Gamestop actually got worse.

No I won't. I don't shop @ BB now.

Amazon FTW.

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #5 of 287 Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

People actually said the same thing when HD DVD was about to go under, that all those great deals that were happening at the time would die out. Also, there were many who claimed all those 2 for 1 deals would just continue like usual!! When is the last time there has been one of those by the way??????????????

Although that deal (buy 10 get $100+ off) Amazon had at Christmas was mighty sweet! But I think you catch my drift!!

Vikings sucked! Gophers BBall sucked! Packers always suck regardless! Lets Go Twins, you're my last chance!!
post #6 of 287 Old 01-09-2009, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hope they go too. The managers and the way its run is pathetic!!! I do feel for some of the guys who are good and need the work. But the managment is so bad let um rot!!!! BB all the way!!
post #7 of 287 Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
honestly, i love my CC.... BB on the other hand is horrible around here (and most everywhere) but i haven't had any issues with my CC

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #8 of 287 Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

honestly, i love my CC.... BB on the other hand is horrible around here (and most everywhere) but i haven't had any issues with my CC

i have to agree, but it depends on the store. there are two CC stores within about 5 miles of where i live. one is nice and quiet, i never get disturbed by anyone asking if i need help umpteen times, and i get what i need and leave. the other one is actually the opposite, there are usually a lot of employees working there and i always get asked numerous times if i need help even when i say no, and the ONLY time i go there is when it's the only place i can find something...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #9 of 287 Old 01-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipron View Post

People actually said the same thing when HD DVD was about to go under, that all those great deals that were happening at the time would die out. Also, there were many who claimed all those 2 for 1 deals would just continue like usual!! When is the last time there has been one of those by the way??????????????

Although that deal (buy 10 get $100+ off) Amazon had at Christmas was mighty sweet! But I think you catch my drift!!

... Not sure why you quoted me. That post had nothing to do with what I said.

post #10 of 287 Old 01-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... Not sure why you quoted me. That post had nothing to do with what I said.

I guess I took that when CC goes "under and Best Buy becomes the unchallenged dominant force in the market" That you meant BB wouldn't have as good of deals as they do now without CC keeping them in check!

If I misunderstood your point, Sorry!

Vikings sucked! Gophers BBall sucked! Packers always suck regardless! Lets Go Twins, you're my last chance!!
post #11 of 287 Old 01-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipron View Post

I guess I took that when CC goes "under and Best Buy becomes the unchallenged dominant force in the market" That you meant BB wouldn't have as good of deals as they do now without CC keeping them in check!

If I misunderstood your point, Sorry!

No my point was more along the lines that right now CC is the lesser of two evils in the electronics shopping center realm. Right now BB is generally a fairly poor place to shop in terms of the type of service you get from their employees. If CC goes under then not only will BB be your only option but they'll be the only game in town and their service will get even worse because they don't have to worry about you going to that "other store". Essentially it's like trading 2 mediocre stores for one absolutely horrid store.

Although now that you mention it I suppose I would be a mite concerned that BB will be less inclined to have as many quality deals.

post #12 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

CC sucks... but i will clean them out when its all done

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #13 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 02:45 AM

So that means...only Best Buy left. All the more reason to order online...
post #14 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
so what happens if you have a protection plan with CC that is valid for another few years?
post #15 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 03:41 AM

That would be a shame. I like going there for stuff over BB most of the time. More often then not, whenever a new video game comes out they have a buy this game, get a $10 gift card type thing. Always saves you $10 the next time a game comes out, can't complain about that.
post #16 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post

so what happens if you have a protection plan with CC that is valid for another few years?

Call them and find out. It still has to be honored. I believe they go through a company just like BB.

The 5.0 is here
post #17 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't mind CC. I do mind getting asked for Rewards and magazine subscriptions everywhere I step in BB though.
post #18 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

No offense but wishing that people lose their job/income is well...asinine.

XBL Gamer Tag : RocketKnight73 / xFRiT0 BANDiT0x
Fanboys = 30 year old men still living in their parents basements..Or dudes that have ZERO chance of gettin' some...
post #19 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I just lost all the CC stores in my area right before Christmas. If anyone is looking for deals then look elsewhere. I popped in about four or five times during the various stages of clearance at a couple stores and there wasn't a deal on anything IMO. Everything gets set to MSRP and then 10% to 30% off. The uninformed pick up anything decent thinking it is a good deal. When the prices drop below Best Buy prices the selection has slimmed way down. When the prices drop below Amazon.com prices the only stuff left is the shelves, display model TV stands, and general crap.

You'll get a better deal by vowing to never set foot into a closing CC and using that gas savings to just buy the item at BB. Better yet order it online elsewhere.

post #20 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 AM

While I believe that's what the OP heard, I doubt that a store manager would have been given this information from corporate. In fact, there are probably only a handful of people with access to this type of info. Had it of leaked out, it would have been all over the financial news.

Maybe they should be bailed out as well (JK)!
post #21 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 88
A few in my area have already closed their doors to. I figured it was just a matter of time before the rest do. Which is why many did not want to buy TVs from them. With the Super Bowl coming it will be interesting to see just how low they will go...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #22 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I just lost all the CC stores in my area right before Christmas. If anyone is looking for deals then look elsewhere. I popped in about four or five times during the various stages of clearance at a couple stores and there wasn't a deal on anything IMO. Everything gets set to MSRP and then 10% to 30% off. The uninformed pick up anything decent thinking it is a good deal. When the prices drop below Best Buy prices the selection has slimmed way down. When the prices drop below Amazon.com prices the only stuff left is the shelves, display model TV stands, and general crap.

You'll get a better deal by vowing to never set foot into a closing CC and using that gas savings to just buy the item at BB. Better yet order it online elsewhere.

I was about to say the same thing.....CC around here has been history for 2 or 3 weeks now. I stopped in my local store 3 or 4 times during their "liquidation" and just had to laugh and the "deals" the were offering.

I would go further than bryansj and say in many cases they were marking product way above MSRP simply so they could say the product was 50% off or more. One case in point that stuck out to me....I've been looking at upgrading my LCD and have had my eye on the Vizio SV470VXT (or it's discount club equivalent). MSRP direct from the Vizio website is $1399. Sam's has it for $1298. I was in CC and just happened to walk through the TV section (not really looking, just walking) and they had all their remaining TV stock out of the warehouse and sitting in the floor of the showroom. One box caught my eye....looked like the TV I was in the market for. Never having seen Vizio at CC before I was interested and dug into the line of boxes to see if it was the same set. Sure enough, it was the same one and they were crooning about how it was either 30 or 40% off....thing was they had marked it up to over $2000 before the discount was taken. I had to do a triple take and verify it was the correct TV....$700 over MSRP. The "sale" price was still $200 over the everyday Sam's price. And this was only 2 days before this particular store closed to the public.

What crap. I would almost say that the didn't "lose" a dime on any of the product they supposedly liquidated. The last time I was in there they were pushing all the odds and ends...racks, displays, fixtures, cables etc. They had a couple of tables loaded down with the heavy duty cables they hook all the display equipment up with. I'm always in the market for a good deal on wires and cables (I have a box of extra Monoprice deals in the basement) and thought it might be a good time to stock up on some extra heavy component cables and such. They had 10-15' sets that bundled the component and audio (basically 5 RCA cables in one big snake)...very good quality, but very used as well. Figured I might beat out Monoprice on these (they had a ton of them), but they wanted like $25 for something almost exactly the same as http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2. And these had been used and reused for years at least.

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #23 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well the liquidation prices I've seen from the stores closing in my area weren't impressive in the slightest, in fact they were really not even discounts since they were taken from the ORIGINAL selling price of the item when the company started carrying it.
post #24 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

It would be a shame if CC went under, they may not be the best and some stores are definitely worse than others but I prefer them to Best Buy who always seem to be trying to rip off some old man whenever I'm in their store, now they've started selling br firmware updates to unsuspecting customers. Plus having less choice is never the best thing for consumers.
post #25 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 08:06 AM

Liked: 93
"While I believe that's what the OP heard, I doubt that a store manager would have been given this information from corporate."

http://investor.circuitcity.com/rele...leaseID=358471

It's readily available information from Circuit City's website. In short, find a buyer for the company by the 16th, or liquidate.
post #26 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

They just opened new stores in my area.
I guess in regards to what the OP said, i'll believe it when i see it.
post #27 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 08:13 AM

Liked: 93
"i'll believe it when i see it."

Click my link above then.
post #28 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 AM

Liked: 11
Well they did have the MS Racing Wheel for only $50 so they have a few rare deals but I agree that most of them are not deals at all.

Xbox GT: Codester
post #29 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not if you're a smart shopper. Brick and mortar can't hold a candle to e-commerce anymore. Good luck to any employees that frequent this forum!

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
post #30 of 287 Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Yeah, the Compusa liquidation was horrible. As others have said, jack up to MSRP prices, then discount some off of that, plus no one in the building can make any deals. They even had games and movies for 2-3 times their current prices at other stores. The whole thing was stupid.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page