XBOX 360 Internal NIC Card Speed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the internal NIC of the 360 just a 10/100 or did they add gigabit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
It's said to be 10/100 .

- Jason
post #3 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

It's said to be 10/100 .

- Jason

Thats what I thought, just couldn't find where its said at. :-)
But I didn't think they had gigabit in there yet.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Unless someone can present a compelling argument, I honestly can't see why gigabit would be useful on the 360. A top notch 1080p encoded blu-ray disk is probably going to peak at 40/50Mbs and will average a lot lower than that. But any Hidef content streamed to the 360 is probably going to be quite a bit lower still -say 20Mbs or less.

Your internet connection, even if you are on a crazy fast 20Mbs down/up plan is not going to come close to pushing a 10/100Mbs connection. And for most of us, we are going to be on plans that are much slower than 20 Mbs!

Although the 360 can multitask, downloading a demo and playing a game at the same time is not going to stress the 10/100 connection -it's your internet connection that is going to be the bottleneck (especially if you have other users connected to your router -like your partner playing utube videos on her PC while you are hosting a game)

Note that gaming requires only modest bandwidth. It is latency that matters (hence the UDP protocol as used for most games)

Lastly, gigabit NICs, normally don't deliver anything close to gigabit -This is especially true for gigabit cards that hook to the PCI bus of a computer. If you have a gigabit NIC, the rest of the hardware has to be up to the task as well.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-21-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 View Post

Unless someone can present a compelling argument, I honestly can't see why gigabit would be useful on the 360. A top notch 1080p encoded blu-ray disk is probably going to peak at 40/50Mbs and will average a lot lower than that. But any Hidef content streamed to the 360 is probably going to be quite a bit lower still -say 20Mbs or less.

Your internet connection, even if you are on a crazy fast 20Mbs down/up plan is not going to come close to pushing a 10/100Mbs connection. And for most of us, we are going to be on plans that are much slower than 20 Mbs!

Although the 360 can multitask, downloading a demo and playing a game at the same time is not going to stress the 10/100 connection -it's your internet connection that is going to be the bottleneck (especially if you have other users connected to your router -like your partner playing utube videos on her PC while you are hosting a game)

Note that gaming requires only modest bandwidth. It is latency that matters (hence the UDP protocol as used for most games)

Lastly, gigabit NICs, normally don't deliver anything close to gigabit -This is especially true for gigabit cards that hook to the PCI bus of a computer. If you have a gigabit NIC, the rest of the hardware has to be up to the task as well.

IF USB 1.1 actully ran at 12mb/s second we really woulnd't have needed USB2.0+ untill the last year or two with people running big external drives. And even then, do you think you actully get 480mb/s?

We decided to wire up part of our work enviroment with gigabit speeds and we defiantly noticed a increase in page loading, and sending files between cpomputers and our server.

Theres more the just the bandwidth, theres also latency/ping.

And you have to remeber that 10/100 is for the WHOLE network.....
As you 360 is no doubt connected to hub/router. Everything connects to that and it only has 10/100 to go around (unless you a giga swtich). So your pc's could be eating up say 40+ leaving a 60 for your xbox, and this assumes that your switch actully hits 100mbs in real life.

And I'd have to argue with your HD content numbers, but it doesn't make much differnce to my main argument
post #6 of 13 Old 01-21-2009, 11:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

As you 360 is no doubt connected to hub/router. Everything connects to that and it only has 10/100 to go around (unless you a giga swtich). So your pc's could be eating up say 40+ leaving a 60 for your xbox, and this assumes that your switch actully hits 100mbs in real life.

And I'd have to argue with your HD content numbers, but it doesn't make much differnce to my main argument

In a switched environment the bandwidth is not shared everyone does get the full 10/100. Barely anyone uses a hub these days.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:

You seem to be arguing in support for a 10/100 NIC on the 360?!? If you are using a router that only has a 10/100 switch, and that switch is sharing all the traffic on your network, then the router is going to be a bottleneck -not any of the individual clients (including the 360)

BTW, based on the stats I've read regarding gigabit routers, Jumbo Frames need to be enabled at all points of the journey to realise the full benefits, and making comments about how your work environment benefits from gigabit (which is obvious, given the amount of traffic likely to be going through the router and switches is going to be alot higher) is hardly applicable to setting up an xbox360 at home.

Quote:

Theres more the just the bandwidth, theres also latency/ping.

What?!? a 10/100 NIC and a gigabit NIC tells you the throughput bandwidth. It's nothing to do with latency. a 1500 byte packet is going to travel just as fast through either NIC on the same network, unless there is other traffic on the line pushing you over the 100Mbs limit. Since we are talking about the 360's NIC, please explain to me the scenario where that would happen.

Quote:

Those numbers were approximate (and I was generous) in order to illustrate the point that the 360 does not need gigabit ethernet -and your post does nothing to convince me that it does.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have a gigabit router/switch, and two gigabit switches; one in the office/main location where the router is, and one out where the home theater and xbox equipment is.
My intention was to make sure I have the fastest connection from switch 1 in the office/main location to switch 2 where the home theater/xbox equipment is located.
I know the bottle neck is where the internet/cable modem is and the 10/100 NIC in the xbox, but the in between should be faster than the current A wireless network, in theory?
The home theater equipment will all be connected to this gigabit switch, which is talking to another gigabit switch which will be connected to the cable modem. The router will be connected to that same switch 1, but I won't be feeding my other lines from the wireless router/switch, rather the gigabit switch which has the internet/modem connected.
If that is doable, I'm not a network expert so I don't know, just trying to maximize my equipment and connections and minimize the lag with xbox.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM

Hey, I have a gigabit router as well (D-Link DIR-655) and two gigabit switches to support the small army of network devices I have through out my house.

It's not like I'm against speed. The point is, that for the 360, as a ethernet client (it's not a switch, and performs no multiplexing duties) 10/100Mbs is entirely acceptable. A gigabit port on the 360 would add to the cost of the unit, without actually giving you anything back in return (except bragging rights).
post #10 of 13 Old 01-22-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 View Post

Hey, I have a gigabit router as well (D-Link DIR-655) and two gigabit switches to support the small army of network devices I have through out my house.

It's not like I'm against speed. The point is, that for the 360, as a ethernet client (it's not a switch, and performs no multiplexing duties) 10/100Mbs is entirely acceptable. A gigabit port on the 360 would add to the cost of the unit, without actually giving you anything back in return (except bragging rights).

So adding the gigabit switches and hardwiring my xbox will not give me any benefits over the current wireless A network its on?
So I'd be better off and spend less getting a wireless bridge and put a switch on that bridge to share the connection to 4 parts of my home theater equipment?
Do they make a Wireless A bridge?
post #11 of 13 Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post

So adding the gigabit switches and hardwiring my xbox will not give me any benefits over the current wireless A network its on?
So I'd be better off and spend less getting a wireless bridge and put a switch on that bridge to share the connection to 4 parts of my home theater equipment?
Do they make a Wireless A bridge?

Chris, wireless should only be used when it is not possible to connect using ethernet cable.

So yes, using a wired connection is far preferable to wireless. But having a gigabit switch is only indirectly beneficial to your 360. The only benefit you would see is if the gigabit switch is handling a lot of network traffic (> 100Mbs) in which case it would bottleneck (if you were using a 10/100 switch) potentially impacting the data-flow to your 360. Unless you run mulitple hi-def media streams and/or large file copies over that switch, then this is not going to be the case.

ps. Wireless is a problem mainly because the data flow is not smooth. It peaks and then dips, which can cause latency. In contrast, a wired connection provides a smooth even flow of data transmission, up to it's defined limit.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-22-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

I want to use my XBOX and its Media Center extender features to stream HD Video, Music, Movies, etc from the Media Center Server/PC. So hard wired will help there, and as well I want to network my other home theater devices such as the Tivio HD and Blu-Ray player...and whatever else might come along one day...Apple TV, etc...who knows?

Right now wireless is possible via the adapters I'm using, but I know I could get way better performance out of a wired solution.

So thats why I'm willing to drop a CAT5e or CAT6 cable from the office gigabit swtich to another identical gigabit switch behind the Home Theater and connect all my devices, with optimal network speeds. Its my idea and theory anyway...
post #13 of 13 Old 01-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Yes. If you can go wired -then that is absolutely the way to go. In your case a gigabit switch makes very good sense, since it's going to be servicing multiple devices, which feasibly (if you were using them at the same time) could bottleneck a 10/100 switch.

Just remember, your 360 has a 10/100 NIC -a gigabit switch does not change that, it only means the switch is far less likely to bottleneck -and as I've already stated, IMHO a 10/100 NIC on the 360 is entirely reasonable. I can't see any way that it would ever get saturated.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page