Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection coming to the 360 and PS3 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 213 Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bam:

http://www.amazon.com/Pinball-Hall-F.../dp/B001L8DKM0

Available 9/8.

Three new tables:
  • No Good Gophers
  • Medieval Madness (Jumps up and down while tears of joy stream down my face)
  • Tales of the Arabian Knights

For some reason the 360 version is more than the PS3 version.

Oh, and did I mention Medieval Madness? Medieval Freakin' Madness! I am soooo happy. I don't make many day 1 purchases, but this is a no-brainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 213 Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
great post and great news! I've played the wii version quite a bit and it is all that and a bag of chips. First day buy for me with the new sharp graphics
post #33 of 213 Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Hellz ya, in like Flynn.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #34 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Don't get your hopes up for Medieval Madness, it's never been confirmed and has only ever appeared on Amazon's poorly done sales page for the game.

As you can see depending on which section you look at, it claims Monster Bash, Medieval Madness and Tales of the Arabian Nights have been added to the game in one section, and No Good Gophers, Medieval Madness & Tales of the Arabian Nights as the new games in another section of the page. Also, it appears as if the 360 version is being sold for $10 more than the supposed MSRP of the game from Crave.

The only confirmed additions (And also the only new content being mentioned in the handful of previews and impressions out there) have been No Good Gofers and Arabian Nights

Edit - Never thought to check out the achievement list, it is on there.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/
post #35 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

For more proof: pics of Medieval Madness board:

They took our cows! **crowd grumbles**

They took our children! **crowd grumbles**

They took our livestock and treasured historical documents! **crowd grumbles**

They took our wives! **crowd cheers**

so...not having played the previous version before, are they pretty accurate to the tables? Do they add any animations? Like when I blow up a castle, can I expect the castle to shake and rattle like it does on a real machine, or is it possible they'll add an animated explosion to the thing? I hope the former, as I'd like an accurate (as possible) re-creation.

Also, how do they handle the graphics board for animations for things like the catapault launch and the knights charging and that game where you have to save the children from the birds?

Just wondering what to expect, as far as faithful recreation of the board. As you can tell, I'm a big Medieval Madness fan....spent a ton of money on it in the arcade, and my buddy/neighbor even bought a real machine for something like $3500 that we played endlessly (then he moved to Florida and took it with him). Here's a pic of us playing it in his house (I'm the one in orange with the beer gut patiently awaiting my turn):
post #36 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

This thread makes me want to dig my (original) Black Knight table out of storage and try my hand and repairing it again. Did a good bit of work on it before I finished my basement, but had to store it since that part of the house doesn't lend itself to workshop activities any more......I need work space! I so want that machine to function.....

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #37 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They're accurate to the tables, they don't add anything to them like animated explosions. I've never played this table before in real life, but if the castle shakes and rattles on a machine, that will be what happens in this recreation of it.

By the graphics board, I presume you mean the digital board above that does various things like show the score (And animations in some titles). It's been a while since I've played either of the first two Pinball Hall of Fames, but as I recall you can see it in some views, and critical information like your score and balls left are displayed overlayed on to the screen. Check out some YouTube videos.

I'll play some later (It's in my Wii right now where its been the past few months since I last played) and tell you how it works after I refresh my memory. I'm thinking there might be a button you can press to view the graphics board anytime you want. It's ignored during gameplay in the view I play in so you don't lose a lot of screen area for something besides the game itself.
post #38 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 AM

the tables all play very well and seem faithful to the original tables. Of course I haven't played them all, but the game is well made. I really like the super old tables in the game.
post #39 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

the tables all play very well and seem faithful to the original tables. Of course I haven't played them all, but the game is well made. I really like the super old tables in the game.

That is good to know.

And yes, I meant the digital board. In Medieval Madness (for instance) there are several times during the game where you need to view the board. For example, after getting the catapult 3 times, you have to launch it (5 items come up on the board, and you have to time it to launch whichever is worth the most: a cow, skull, bowling ball, cat...etc). There is also a "rescue the children" game that comes up where you need to move your guy left and right to kill birds that are swooping down to steal the children. I assume during those times it will just focus on the digital board (since the table is not in play at that time since the balls are locked).

I am glad to hear they keep the tables faithful to the real things.
post #40 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 10:09 AM

As faithful a pinball game to the real thing as you will find. Pinball fx, while fun, was too fast and I thought the table layouts were kind of wack. There were very few levels with insane loops you could rip off over and over.
post #41 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
MM is definately on this...........check out this youtube video which has a few quick clips of it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKkZgY6Eve0

Also check out this gamespot preview which they go hands on with the MM table....

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/puzzle/p...&mode=previews

Cant wait to play this

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #42 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 04:11 PM

pinball hall of fame: the gottlieb collection is still in constant rotation at my house. its an xbox legacy title thats backwards compatible. if you dont have it i suggest gettin it. i prefer the physics in it compared to the pinball games on both XBLA and PSN.

its the same developer (FarSight Studios) so physics should be the same if not better (i dont know how you can improve physics, dont ask!). ball movement in the videos you shown seems on par to Gottlieb.

i cant wait to punch that clown face with my balls.
post #43 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph B View Post

There is *another* free PC pinball emulation program called "Visual Pinball" which already does support 90's style tables like "Attack From Mars"; and it will even run on PCs that are three or four years old. However, it's a little more difficult to install.
Information and Support of that system is available here:
VPForums.org

I've actually been using this a ton myself lately. Future Pinball is easier and is true 3d, but most of the tables you remember (or at least, the ones I remember) aren't supported by it. Future Pinball doesn't have support for the actual ROM of the table, so all of the scoring and things has to be done by scratch. For that reason, it's better suited for tables from before the 80s.

The much crazier tables that I remember, the 80s and 90s Williams, Ballys, Gottlieb, etc. are generally way too complicated for Future Pinball. Visual PinMAME supports using the actual table ROMs (and has better physics) so generally these tables are more often than not done in that.

And with VP9, they look pretty good:

Black Knight
Funhouse
Medieval Madness
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Twilight Zone

I actually own the Williams Pinball Collection on my Wii, but I much prefer the VP stuff. Like mentioned above, check out http://vpforums.org it's great.

People are even building some virtual cabinets (one example) which I wish I had the skills for. (Well, as a second alternative to having the money for a real machine of one of my favorites. )

Too bad Williams decided slot machines are more profitable than pinball machines though.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #44 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 04:35 PM

the decline of the arcade is what cause the pinball industry to collapse due to the increase of the home systems. starting way back with nintendo. thats a whole nother subject though. i can say though i would rather both have survived (in the US).

hopefully Williams' employees were kept and they're doing well.
post #45 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronn View Post

the decline of the arcade is what cause the pinball industry to collapse due to the increase of the home systems. starting way back with nintendo. thats a whole nother subject though. i can say though i would rather both have survived (in the US).

hopefully Williams' employees were kept and they're doing well.

Well, I know that the main designer of a lot of my favorites (Pat Lawlor- designed Banzai Run, Earthshaker, Funhouse, The Addams Family, Twilight Zone, No Good Gofers among others) is now designing stuff for the only remaining company- Stern. I'd imagine that most of the experts from the other companies got hired at Stern, but who knows what that meant for the low-level employees.

There's an apparently awesome documentary that I haven't seen yet that goes into a ton of detail of what happened and of the Williams' designers' last ditch efforts with "Pinball 2000" - http://www.tilt-movie.com/

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #46 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Well, I know that the main designer of a lot of my favorites (Pat Lawlor- designed Banzai Run, Earthshaker, Funhouse, The Addams Family, Twilight Zone, No Good Gofers among others) is now designing stuff for the only remaining company- Stern. I'd imagine that most of the experts from the other companies got hired at Stern, but who knows what that meant for the low-level employees.

There's an apparently awesome documentary that I haven't seen yet that goes into a ton of detail of what happened and of the Williams' designers' last ditch efforts with "Pinball 2000" - http://www.tilt-movie.com/

Lawlor is no longer designing for Stern, they let go almost all of the best table designers. Should be a fun game. I picked up a NGG a few months ago, it's a really fun game--not particularly deep but very fast. Pinmame is great way to play most of the games, it can give a pretty good feel for the game. They have almost every game replicated on there now. I'd really like to get a Spiderman for home someday, probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Taylor34
post #47 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronn View Post

its the same developer (FarSight Studios) so physics should be the same if not better (i dont know how you can improve physics, dont ask!). ball movement in the videos you shown seems on par to Gottlieb.

The William's Collection was a massive improvement over the Gottlieb collection in the area of physics. So if you enjoyed that collection, you'll be very impressed with any version of the William's Collection.
post #48 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Cool..... good to see NGG get some love. It's a fun, challenging game (I'm a current owner of one).

I'll be picking this up for sure!
post #49 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 PM

I used to play a pin as a kid with a bunch of playing card targets all over the board. Anyone know what game that was? For some reason, I had such great memories with that pin
post #50 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

lots of card based themes out there. Might help if you could give us a year to use as a starting point.
post #51 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

I used to play a pin as a kid with a bunch of playing card targets all over the board. Anyone know what game that was? For some reason, I had such great memories with that pin

Maybe Maverick? It had like 17 drop targets. If it's older than 1994, there's a ton of them.

Taylor34
post #52 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

here's one for starters-

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=9
post #53 of 213 Old 08-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

here you go.... let us know which one it is.... LOL!

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?tm=car...htype=advanced
post #54 of 213 Old 08-26-2009, 04:34 AM

o snap that a lot of table
post #55 of 213 Old 08-26-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Bam:

http://www.amazon.com/Pinball-Hall-F.../dp/B001L8DKM0

Available 9/8.

Damn... it looks like the game will be pushed back to 9/30.

Hopefully the delay is to make a better game and not to simply avoid competing with Guitar Hero 5 and Beatles Rock Band.

post #56 of 213 Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 AM

damn now wtf? Used to have a june release date. All they had to do was put in 3 tables and sharpen the graphics. Now this is gonna compete for my dollar with operation flashpoint 2. Crikey
post #57 of 213 Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Damn... it looks like the game will be pushed back to 9/30.

Hopefully the delay is to make a better game and not to simply avoid competing with Guitar Hero 5 and Beatles Rock Band.

For some reason, the Amazon link still says September 8 for me. Weird.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #58 of 213 Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

For some reason, the Amazon link still says September 8 for me. Weird.

Yeah, I'm going by the date listed on Gamefly.

Gamefly does a good job updating shipping dates, sometimes before official notices of a delay. They had the 8th listed for the longest time, but I just noticed it was switched to 9/30 (this morning?).

post #59 of 213 Old 08-28-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Yeah, I'm going by the date listed on Gamefly.

Gamefly does a good job updating shipping dates, sometimes before official notices of a delay. They had the 8th listed for the longest time, but I just noticed it was switched to 9/30 (this morning?).

Ok, now GameFly says 9/23.

I might have jumped the gun with my post about it being pushed back... dunno.

post #60 of 213 Old 08-28-2009, 02:07 PM

if u had the dollas (like some of ya'll do) what pinball machine (real) would you get/is next on your list?

1. Addams Family - lots of lights and loud as heck!
2. Genie - as seen in the Gottlieb Collection, prolly my favorite in that game
3. Jurassic Park - i just remember it
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page