Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection coming to the 360 and PS3 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 213 Old 03-04-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT View Post

Check out http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?

Multiplay Mode on Williams Collection:
I have both the 360 and PS3 version of the game,
on the PS3 which I use the most
its easy to set up different controllers
after telling how many players you also select how many controllers.
I'll check the 360 version see if its different.

Let us know how The Gottlieb Collection looks on the 360...

Thanks for all that info...very interesting.

I really hope your able to get more than one player with different controllers working all at once. If you can find out, it will definitely motivate me to get two more controllers for the rare time I have two or more people over to play some video pinball.

I hate having to pass one controller around and getting it back greasy from someone's big sweaty hands!

About "The Gottlieb Collection", I was surprised how good it looked from a 480p source...of course upconverted to 1080p from my current Xbox 360. Not as nice as the newer pinball game, so I'm really glad we have games that are now 720/1080 resolution.

I'll get into more detail about that a little bit later due to time...however I do want to say at least for the first time I had the game in my system, one of the games (a racing one) would only play the first ball. Once the ball drained, it would just sit there. I even re-loaded the game, and it still happened. I'll try loading it up again tonight to see if it happens again.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 213 Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Checked the multi-controller setup....

It's an option on the PS3 version but not on the 360 version.

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #183 of 213 Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

About "The Gottlieb Collection", I was surprised how good it looked from a 480p source...of course upconverted to 1080p from my current Xbox 360. Not as nice as the newer pinball game, so I'm really glad we have games that are now 720/1080 resolution.

I'll get into more detail about that a little bit later due to time...however I do want to say at least for the first time I had the game in my system, one of the games (a racing one) would only play the first ball. Once the ball drained, it would just sit there. I even re-loaded the game, and it still happened. I'll try loading it up again tonight to see if it happens again.

I have encountered that problem, too. The only way around it is to start a two-player game on that table. It prevents the freeze from happening.

Playing the Gottlieb Collection has made me a better player at the Williams Collection, giving me enough skill to clear all the Wizard goals (and get some decent high scores in the process). The Gottlieb Collection also looks quite good running in widescreen.
post #184 of 213 Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Too bad there's no on-line leaderboards... the old fashioned way:

Not really the best score ever, but a pretty good run.
post #185 of 213 Old 03-04-2010, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Checked the multi-controller setup....

It's an option on the PS3 version but not on the 360 version.

Thanks, at least now I know. Funny thing is...I'd still like to get a couple more controllers just for the heck of it to round out the system, though now I'm not in such a hurry to do it.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #186 of 213 Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katamari Damacy View Post

I have encountered that problem, too. The only way around it is to start a two-player game on that table. It prevents the freeze from happening.

Interesting...I'll be sure to do that the next time.

Overall though, that is odd. You would think someone would at least try out the games after it's been mastered on DVD. I can't believe it has the same problem BEFORE it was mastered to the Xbox DVD...otherwise, it would have been fixed.

The Gottlieb Collection overall does not play too badly. 1st, I'm very impressed with it's history facts for each game. 2nd, I like the voice over instructions on how to play the games...cool that THAT feature was carried over to the Williams Collection.

There's several games I like however "Big Shot" mostly comes to mind. I really like drop targets and this one has a lot of them!

Game play is better than I though it would be since I read that the physics of the ball is not as good as the Williams collection. True, it's not as good, but it's not that bad either. The image of the full game showing all at once is quite a bit soft and low resolution looking on my 60" Pioneer Pro 151-FD Kuro. However when the "camera" is moving around with the ball, game graphics is not bad at all. Still, a new release would be nice with updated physics and resolution to get it all looking more like the Williams collection.

Another thing I noticed. I liked how in the Williams collection the arcade has a back room, an upstairs along with the main room. With the Gottlieb collection, there's only the main room.

A bit later on, I'll be trying it out all over again and this time I'll be sure to set "Victory" for two players....

post #187 of 213 Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Too bad there's no on-line leaderboards... the old fashioned way:

Not really the best score ever, but a pretty good run.

online boards in main menu...

Test Your Display,
post #188 of 213 Old 03-05-2010, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

anyone own real machines?

Test Your Display,
post #189 of 213 Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

online boards in main menu...

i'm pretty sure he meant to filter your friends, since you can't do that, and he was asking friends here for scores...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #190 of 213 Old 03-05-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post

i'm pretty sure he meant to filter your friends, since you can't do that, and he was asking friends here for scores...

Makes sense, the online score system is very basic.
I wish Crave would release more tables and updates but it does not look promising...

Test Your Display,
post #191 of 213 Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I couldn't believe it. I was playing the older Xbox Pinball collection when I discovered that it has the capability to allow more than one controller.

I don't know why they would not carry that feature over to the newer pinball collection for Xbox 360!

Well, I tried out the VP and FP. Both would not work on my old computer. So maybe another time.

Instead of downloadable content in the form of other tables, I think it would be best to offer completely new Xbox 360 DVDs with another set of tables.

They should however (if they can) have a downloadable update to allow for more than one controller. To me, this is a very basic feature.

post #192 of 213 Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

anyone own real machines?

Yep.... currently have a No Good Gofers. Love it!
post #193 of 213 Old 03-10-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsrule View Post

Yep.... currently have a No Good Gofers. Love it!

I actually saw No Good Gofers on the assembly line during my visit to the plant.

post #194 of 213 Old 03-11-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Someone at a classic gaming board I visit emailed Crave recently with a few questions and recieved the following reply.

"Unfortunately, we are unable to fix this issue. When we developed this title
we used the actual ROMs that Williams used in the tables. This bug actually
is in the ROM that was provided. This issue is also on the coin-op table.

We have received request for sorting on the leader boards. We are currently
concidering releasing a new title in this line and this is a feature we
would implement.

As far as DLC, we have no plans on the current title to release any DLC. We
have all the tables out that we currently have licenced to use.

Thanks
Crave Entertainment
"

That's nice news, I'd certainly be interested in seeing another entry in this series.
post #195 of 213 Old 03-15-2010, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have the contact info for Crave? I'd like to as them if they could have a download so more than one controller could be used at the same time rather than having to pass the controller around.

Their older Pinball game had that feature for the regular Xbox.

post #196 of 213 Old 03-19-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I just wrote an email to Crave last night and wow, it did not take long for them to answer my concern...

"Thank You for contacting Crave Support. The reason you cannot use multiple controllers during multiplayer was to prevent the sharing of achievements between 2 different profiles. In order to prevent this and to abide by Microsoft standards a last minute game design change was implemented to limit the use to just 1 controller for multiplayer. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank You
Crave Support"

post #197 of 213 Old 03-19-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so what do they mean when they say, "to prevent the sharing of achievements between 2 different profiles."???

I'm not fully understanding this answer. Is there not other games that allow more than one player to use separate controllers? And would those other games also have "achievements"?

What's the difference between having multiple players using multiple controllers on a game that has achievements when comparing "Pinball Hall of Fame" to any of the shooter games?

post #198 of 213 Old 03-20-2010, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense.

The only thing I can think of is that multiple controllers would enable use of multiple Live IDs and their multiplayer system couldn't lock down Player 1 = Live ID 1, Player 2 = Live ID 2, etc - so any player making an achievement would have given it to all of them.
post #199 of 213 Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Yeah, I think that's my fav or the bunch too... but they all are pretty fun.

Interesting to note that a couple tables take sound effects from "Defender", a Williams arcade game.

I finally picked this up (love it)...I noticed some sound effects lifted from "Joust" too, in addition to Defender...I knew there had to be another old goat gamer out there who picked up on them!
post #200 of 213 Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #201 of 213 Old 02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 576
wow! that video was pure awesome! one of the best behind the scenes videos in a long time. wish Youtube would allow 60 fps videos.

I can't wait for The Pinball Arcade as I loved Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection.

I love Pinball FX2 because it has the snazzy tables and cool licenses.

But PHoF just felt better. It just felt more like real pinball. And it was based on tables I actually played when I was a kid. and if The Pinball Arcade can top the physics of PHoF... man, I'm getting excited!!!

If The Pinball Arcade can snag licenses for some of the awesome pinball games I played as a kid like Terminator 2, Addams Family, The Simpsons, etc., I'll buy every table.
post #202 of 213 Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Imagine this on the 2048x1536 iPad 3!

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #203 of 213 Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

looking at some of the upcoming tables, there's a lot of rehashing from the Gottlieb and Williams collections...

I'm willing to pick up Gottlieb table (maybe) since I didn't get The Gottlieb Collection.

but for The Williams Collection, I'm more than happy with the tables in that version. I'd be hard-pressed to buy them again unless the physics and authenticity is off the charts.

So if I was Farsight, I would make sure their business model first focused on new tables to make sure they make money and stay solvent. Then add the tables from the other games later on. Otherwise, people who have been buying these other collections may hold off and then Farsight won't have money to get to the good tables.
post #204 of 213 Old 03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I got excited about the upcoming Pinball Arcade so I went back and played Pinball Hall of Fame again for the 360 last night. Here are all the tables except for Jive Time which is still locked. Sadly, my game time is broadly split so I don't play pinball much. So I don't know exactly what I have to do to unlock Jive Time. Also, this is a quick play through each of the tables. I didn't do a lot of the cool things that each table offers (especially on tables like Medieval Nights and Tales of the Arabian Nights).

The videos are in 720P but unfortunately because it's Youtube, they were converted to 30 fps videos (Youtube doesn't allow 60 fps videos) which hurts the framerate and smoothness (since the game is 60 fps). Also, Youtube heavily compressed it so sorry for the compression artifacts. And lastly, my antivirus program kicked in for the weekly scan (the worst time to kick in! but then again, I shouldn't have been playing at 2am), and I didn't know until after I was done playing so there were dropped frames and sections in the videos. Gorgar, Space Shuttle, and Medieval Madness were most corrupted by the virus scan.

Watch in 720P fullscreen if you can!

1979 - Gorgar

1980 - Black Knight

1980 - Firepower

1984 - Space Shuttle

1985 - Sorcerer

1986 - Pin*Bot

1988 - Taxi

1990 - Funhouse

1990 - Whirlwind

1996 - Tales of the Arabian Nights

1997 - Medieval Madness

1997 - No Good Gofers

post #205 of 213 Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks. I had toyed with the idea of getting these games, and will now wait in case FX2 or an engine like that implements them. The ball just didn't move the way I now prefer...

LIVE: mikepaul
post #206 of 213 Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

I'd be hard-pressed to buy them again unless the physics and authenticity is off the charts.

According to the video, they said the ball movement is the best ever for a couple reasons. However I do not know if the physics for the ball has been improved for all games...or only the new ones.

post #207 of 213 Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

According to the video, they said the ball movement is the best ever for a couple reasons. However I do not know if the physics for the ball has been improved for all games...or only the new ones.

from the videos, it suggests that they use a new graphics/physics engine so I would think they'd use the new engine across everything and not have a potpourri of engines (like one engine for the legacy tables and a new engine for newer tables).

Either way, I've always preferred the work of Farsight Studios over other pinball makers so I trust they'll do a fabulous job.

here's the top 10 pinball games as voted by pinball fans at The Internet Pinball Database (http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl):

#1 Twilight Zone (Bally,1993)
#2 Star Trek: The Next Generation (Williams,1993)
#3 Medieval Madness (Williams,1997)
#4 Theatre of Magic (Bally,1995)
#5 Cirqus Voltaire (Bally,1997)
#6 The Addams Family (Bally,1992)
#7 Tales of the Arabian Nights (Williams,1996)
#8 Monster Bash (Williams,1998)
#9 Scared Stiff (Bally,1996)
#10 The Lord of the Rings (Stern,2003)

You know what pinball fans want, Farsight, go make them!
post #208 of 213 Old 03-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
If Farsight can make Tron:Legacy pinball (Stern, 2011) I'll drive up to Big Bear and buy them pizza or BBQ from Jasper's... their choice
post #209 of 213 Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Did they say mid April for Xbox?

post #210 of 213 Old 03-26-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

The Pinball Arcade should have its own thread rather than be in the Pinball Hall of Fame thread, but Major Nelson tweeted that the platform will be out on Wednesday!

https://twitter.com/#!/majornelson/s...09339564154880
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page