Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection coming to the 360 and PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 213 Old 02-04-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I know a good number of you have hoped for this after experiencing the Wii/PS2 version's excellent tables and physics, but lack of hd graphics. Its finally going to happen, with a release date scheduled for June 12th in North America. No word on if there will be any extra content, but lets hope they add in a few new tables to give everyone additional incentive to get it After this releases, no one will have any excuse for playing Pinball FX with its poor physics and dull layouts.

Bought the PS2 version since it was cheap at launch ($12 or so compared to $30 on the Wii), later got the Wii version for the extra tables when it got cheaper. So it would be nice for something extra this time to get me to buy it a 3rd time, but it will be worth it just for the hd graphics.

http://kotaku.com/5145898/ps3-xbox-3...ll-this-summer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 213 Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
great news indeed. I had made a thread about this a while back. I so happy
post #3 of 213 Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Are the physics really that much better than Pinball FX? I always thought FX was pretty good. Just never found a camera I really liked. They were all too far south of the flippers to me.
post #4 of 213 Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Much better, I doubt you'll ever want to fire up Pinball FX again after buying this. Its the closest I've ever seen to a videogame replicating pinball physics (Though I've not played everything, especially on the PC), and the tables are extremely accurate.
post #5 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No Medieval Madness = No Buy.

God I want that so bad, but I refuse to pay 3+ grand for the machine....I'd settle for a $60 version I could play on my TV.
post #6 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 09:05 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 View Post

Are the physics really that much better than Pinball FX? I always thought FX was pretty good. Just never found a camera I really liked. They were all too far south of the flippers to me.

Yes, the physics for the williams collection are superior to Pinball FX. It feels like you're playing on a real table in the williams game, but in FX the ball just feels overly heavy.. almost like the table is tilted a few degrees down.

I still like the tables in FX, though, so I don't know if having the williams collection will actually kill FX for me.
post #7 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 AM

good point about pinball fx. Yes, the ball feels heavy. Williams has those dope old school sound effects like the Joust regeneration sound in many games. I love that. Well I don't love it love it but I love it
post #8 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 09:16 AM

Liked: 44
I so love pinball. My brother had a vintage Kiss pinball machine in mint condition which I used to play. It rocked! I'll have to check this game out.
post #9 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 02:18 PM

thats great. i hope they make an effort to bring over the Gottlieb Collection.
post #10 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm an old school pinballer. Used to hang out at 7-11 in grade school to play on machines with actual digit counters! I've never really gotten into video game pinball even though I've tried over the years.

It just ain't shake-a-machine if you can't actually shake the machine. Know what I mean?
post #11 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 03:01 PM

flatus, I can assure you that if you like old pins, like really old ones, you will love this game. Some ancient tables in there lol
post #12 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

No Medieval Madness = No Buy.

God I want that so bad, but I refuse to pay 3+ grand for the machine....I'd settle for a $60 version I could play on my TV.

pinmame is your friend..... hook the PC to your TV and you're set.
post #13 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

I'm an old school pinballer. Used to hang out at 7-11 in grade school to play on machines with actual digit counters! I've never really gotten into video game pinball even though I've tried over the years.

It just ain't shake-a-machine if you can't actually shake the machine. Know what I mean?

I remember playing pinball in the bowling alley as a kid.... .10 per game or .25 for 3....... now it's .50 for 3 balls.

I'm also a pin owner.... I have a No Good Gofers..... killer game with the ultimate pinball shot- hitting a slam-ramp to launch the ball into the air, at a hole at the top of the playfield for a hole-in-one!! Can you say "Kick-ass!"
post #14 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 04:35 PM

must i state that the Addams Family pinball is the ultimate pinball game in existance?
post #15 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM

I want star trek and my ex loved earthshaker. I've heard great things about that table.
post #16 of 213 Old 02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

If you have the initial cash (and room) to get a pinball machine, I highly recommend one. Because they're collector items now, they basically don't really depreciate (unless you buy a brand new one). In fact, for the past 6 years (until the economy went to crap) they had been appreciating in value. So basically you put $1k to $2k into one, play it for a year, then trade it for another one, no money lost. And if you ever need the money, just sell it and you'll have your money right back. Unlike Golden Tee's, pool tables, etc which basically go towards zero the older they get.

Right now I have a Stargate, Star Trek: The next generation, Jurassic Park, and Tommy the pinball wizard. They're a good change of pace from the 360. I would like to get a Spiderman someday, but I'd have to sell one of the above first (which would be very difficult to do since I love all of them).

Taylor34
post #17 of 213 Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 AM

problem is they're so damn expensive. Even a Demolition Man table is for sale in my local craigslist for 1k. Even then I'm interested as a starter pin lol.
post #18 of 213 Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

problem is they're so damn expensive. Even a Demolition Man table is for sale in my local craigslist for 1k. Even then I'm interested as a starter pin lol.

Yes indeed! For anything decent and in good condition, it's going to cost you some decent coin. Kind of tough to justify a pin purchase in today's economy.
post #19 of 213 Old 02-06-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 View Post

Right now I have a Stargate, Star Trek: The next generation, Jurassic Park, and Tommy the pinball wizard. They're a good change of pace from the 360. I would like to get a Spiderman someday, but I'd have to sell one of the above first (which would be very difficult to do since I love all of them).

Taylor34

Woah! Can I come hang out in your basement?!

I remember back in the day, the older kids on the block (including my brother) that worked at the local Putt-Putt arcade all thought Dr Who was the best pinball machine out there. I don't really know.
post #20 of 213 Old 02-06-2009, 09:25 AM

For any of you that would like to try out some PC-based Pinball emulations of actual classic tables, I can recommend the free "Future Pinball" system. Right now the emulation is restricted to tables designed prior to 1990 due to a lack of DMD ROM emulation support. But that restriction will be overcome during the next 6 months or so. After that, exact emulations of tables like "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and "Attack From Mars" will be possible. If nothing else, you'll be able to "try the table out a little" before purchasing.

The main caveat right now regarding "Future Pinball" is that it requires a really good 3D graphics system on your PC. Most PCs and Notebooks built within the last 24 months have enough on-board hardware to adequately run the program.

Link to "Future Pinball" System download:
Future Pinball System

Some available emulated tables:
Future Pinball Tables

There is *another* free PC pinball emulation program called "Visual Pinball" which already does support 90's style tables like "Attack From Mars"; and it will even run on PCs that are three or four years old. However, it's a little more difficult to install.
Information and Support of that system is available here:
VPForums.org
post #21 of 213 Old 02-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Earthshaker is my favorite table of all time, that and Bonzai Run.

Can someone please post the list of tables in this game for those at work for whom Kotaku is firewalled. If this game has either of those tables, I'm in.

Still searching for that elusive, "perfect" sound
Gamertag: Going Top Shelf
post #22 of 213 Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronn View Post

must i state that the Addams Family pinball is the ultimate pinball game in existance?

We played that one quite a bit in college. Good times.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #23 of 213 Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronn View Post

No way. Funhouse is the ultimate!!!
post #24 of 213 Old 02-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

Yeah, it's the initial cost that will hurt. You have to remember that it's a lot different than buying like xbox 360 games. Buy 17 360 games for $1020, in two years you have...like $100 to $200 in games. Buy one $1000 pinball game, in two years you have....a $1000 pinball game. There are some as cheap as $400 if you look around, Lost World by Bally (1978) comes to mind as a cheap one. Cheap Dot matrix display games? Things like Rescue 911, Waterworld, Street Fighter II, can be had for $700 and under. Go to www.ipdb.org to find out more info.

Taylor34
post #25 of 213 Old 02-06-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Joseph, know of any for Mac?
post #26 of 213 Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Before anyone leaps into the world of pinball, it should be mentioned that these machines can be very complex, parts can be scarce, and it will always require a lot of TLC. Anyone that can jump into that and successfully keep a machine in top notch shape gets my respect, but I know its not for me...

They're not like arcade machines that don't require a huge amount of effort to keep going or diagnose problems, and parts are usually fairly easily sourced. So unless your trying to keep something like a Sega vector cab going, its fairly easy going in the arcade world.
post #27 of 213 Old 02-06-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Before anyone leaps into the world of pinball, it should be mentioned that these machines can be very complex, parts can be scarce, and it will always require a lot of TLC.

+1... I have a Robocop pinball machine in the game room. It's cool and all, and works pretty good... but I would love to find someone to do some maintenance on some of the weaker bumpers. Finding someone with these skills is tough in a medium-sized town.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 213 Old 02-07-2009, 06:31 AM

that would be a fun career and pretty rewarding. Much better than selling scabby bank owned properties which is what I do now
post #29 of 213 Old 02-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

+1... I have a Robocop pinball machine in the game room. It's cool and all, and works pretty good... but I would love to find someone to do some maintenance on some of the weaker bumpers. Finding someone with these skills is tough in a medium-sized town.

+1.... it seems that with the "dying" of the pinball route buisness, so too went what seemed to be the most skilled maintenance people. Other than a few exceptions, all that's left in my area are best described as "hacks".

Heck, I can hack on a pin with the best of them..... the problem is I dont want to hack on my 2000 dollar machine, nor do I want to pay someone to do the same.
post #30 of 213 Old 02-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

www.pinrepair.com is the guide you can use to fix almost any game
rec.games.pinball newsgroup (access through google) also has a ton of information on about anything.

I didn't know anything about fixing pinball machines like 3 1/2 years ago, now I can totally fix most games, including board issues.

Taylor34
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page