consoles of this gen. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 03-13-2009, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 647
it seems like this generations consoles have all had major issues of some sort (i own all 3 BTW). I can't think of any other time that has happened??

PS3 - what should of been a shoe in for leader of this generation sony should have read proverbs "pride goeth before the fall". It had all the fanbase and intial hype, but then blew it, i won't even go into the details of what some experts call the worse console launch ever and cost some very important people at sony their jobs.

360 - Let me tell you the story of when i bought my 360, i bought it as my first console of this generation along with ncaa and ny xbox live card. After the game froze up online over and over. Then i had NUMEROUS HOUR UPON HOUR conversations that pushed the very limits of all the patience i have finally my console bricked, an experience that many can relate to. And it got worse when it was "leaked" that MS knew about it but pushed it out eariler.

Wii - The wii is like a hot chick that looks like it is just what you want, but after dating her for a while you realize that she is shallow has no personality and frankly isn't that fun to hang out with, but to make it worse some of the best times have been with her, so you know it could be a great relationship but alas it is not..... 3 of my top games of this generation are on the wii zelda, mario, metriod, but kind of like the pac 10 in football once you get past the top couple of teams the rest of the teams suck and are way below the others. That what makes the wii so frustrating is becuase you know their could be great games. Like star fox flying the plane with the wii remote sideways or great sequel to mario tennis (a game i played a ton on the gamecube), yet somehow there are only games that teach you how to raise a horse..

Lastly if i had to chose winner (like chosing a winner in big east football, no one really deserves it) without question it would be the wii (although if i had to give up one of my 3 consoles it would be the wii) and let me tell you why...

no matter what anyone says video games are a business and i think alot of people lose sight of that, if someone walked into my business tomorrow and said....

I can not only raise your market share but increase your market share to consumers that have never previously been in your market. Your profit margin would be greater then your competitors, yet your price will be cheaper, even though currently you are at the bottom.... I would call him crazy and say that is impossible.. yet that is what the big N did. Is it my fav. console, no but i respect what they were able to accomplish...

so what are your thoughts.....also how many posts do you think before someone says something stupid and this thread gets locked??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
all i can say is ive owned all, and i mean all consoles ever, and the wii is the most dust collecting and cant wait to get rid of one of them all. and i have a wife and youngsters,and i love nintendo. but that thing sucks
post #3 of 53 Old 03-13-2009, 09:19 PM

we tried to establish relations a while back with the nintendo forum and were left grazing the empty koopa countryside for cool people. Presents were brought along such as koopa coins and this bad ass energy sword, but we encountered few of note. We offer you shelter, brave traveler, and a copy of leisure suit larry for your hotel room
post #4 of 53 Old 03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I've owned all since they launched, and I'd take the 360 over either. It sucks that the hardware is ****, we pay for glorified matchmaking, and MS accessory prices are ridiculous with very little in the way of alternatives. But the controller, system wide standards and interface, LIVE, and game library keep me playing. Madworld and House of the Dead had me dust off my Wii, I don't think I've played a game on it since 06.
post #5 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The progression of my life with the Wii was: OMFG THIS IS THE BEST....thing...that...I never....hey, I still own....just GTFO....no really, leave and take your mini game with you...

The PS3 reminds me of a late night TV infomercial. It slices, it dices, it does everything you need... The only thing missing is the "But, wait!" (Well, unless that is the price tag.

For me, the Xbox is all I need in this gen of consoles. It does everything I ask of it (well, except live a ripe old age.)

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #6 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 04:17 AM

We have two 360's and a wii. My 5 yr old prefers the 360 to the wii. I have played the wii maybe two or three times. At one time I thought about a PS3 but the game selection is not that great and the bluray is average at best for it. Besides now that you can stream netflix no movies laying around to clutter the house
post #7 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
360: The light that burns twice as brightly burns half as long.

PS3: the most impressive console in the history of mankind especially as no-one seems to play games on it.

Wii: The Christmas puppy left out in the rain come New Year's day.

digital film janitor
post #8 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

PS3: the most impressive console in the history of mankind especially as no-one seems to play games on it.

I couldn't have said that better myself
post #9 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

well said.

Also I don't see how the PS3 was shoe-in to win this gen.
I think those that went over to the darn and green side (xbox) last gen would have told you microsoft would be be living large this gen.
post #10 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the reason i said ps3 was the fav. is it's much larger base of people that owned ps2 and the great exclusives that ps2 had (not to say xbox didn't, just sony was stronger at the time)
post #11 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

well said.

Also I don't see how the PS3 was shoe-in to win this gen.
I think those that went over to the darn and green side (xbox) last gen would have told you microsoft would be be living large this gen.

Everyone loved the original Playstation. I still do in fact. It was just a great gamer's console.

The PS2 was a big disapointment for me. The graphics were just different not necessarily better and the games were the same old rehash with few exceptions: GTA3 being about the pinnacle of achievement. The video and audio quality actually seemed technically inferior in signal terms to the PS.

I had no interest in the Xbox at this time , just seemed to be Microsoft trailing in Sony's wake.

Then I saw Halo running in HMV a few days before the Xbox release. That was something that looked NEW. The dynamic range on the graphics , the crisp DD 5.1 made the PS2 look like a muddy aliased mess. The Xbox wasn't just an also ran.

Put my money down for one then and there and never regretted it. Halo was one of those seachange moments in gaming and that's from someone who played lots of PC FPS.

I've looked at the PS3 a number of times and just never found a game that makes me want to buy it.

On the 360 there are so many games I want to play I rarely find an empty spell between releases. Fair enough most of them are also available on the PS3 but I've already got the 360.

I doubt anyone but the most delusional Sony fan boy will claim the PS3 as the "war" winner. Most people I know that consider themselves discerning gamers to any degree seem to stick with the 360.

digital film janitor
post #12 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Since I'm a BD fan I wanted Sony to clean house and get MS out of the console business for good.

Reality played out different.

I've really got to wonder what they hell Sony was thinking releasing a $600 console with the lamest line-up in history.

It isn't the size of the disk that counts, but how you use it.

Panasonic 46pz85u

4K cinema at 60mbps, coming soon to a kiosk near you.
post #13 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yeah and the funny thing is that ps2 was known for having a huge library of games!!! the ps3 has some good games but nothing like the ps2....
post #14 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

yeah and the funny thing is that ps2 was known for having a huge library of games!!! the ps3 has some good games but nothing like the ps2....

Aren't they still releasing games for both the PS2 & PS3. That doesn't help people upgrade...

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #15 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 PM

Liked: 27
The 360 is a great gaming console, the PS3 is a great blu-ray player and the wii is a great dust collector. At least in our house.

Live Gamertags: PennHunter, world builder and aNUNandHERdog.
PSN: pennhunter
post #16 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have a Wii but my brother does. He never plays it. He sometimes goes out of his way to buy a Wii game to convince me it wasn't an utter mistake...then he stops playing the next day.

I also have the silver MGS4 PS3 and the Elite 360. I think the PS3 is a great movie platform, and has some good games, too. The 360 gets more game use, and the Media Center Extender functionality is great as my PC is a HD DVR, too.
post #17 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 704
My preference has shifted, I started out an Xbot, but have grown to really love the PS3 equally. Something about how it animates things.
post #18 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User View Post

Since I'm a BD fan I wanted Sony to clean house and get MS out of the console business for good.

Reality played out different.

I've really got to wonder what they hell Sony was thinking releasing a $600 console with the lamest line-up in history.

Lamest line-up in history? Where were you for the Nintendo 64? I can't believe Nintendo even survived that generation...that system had nothing. I stopped gaming about a year after getting it for Christmas and didn't start back up for a decade and that's not even a joke.
post #19 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User View Post

By their own chest-thumping admission, they were thinking that their fans would buy anything with Playstation stamped on it.
(We've all seen the quotes, right?)
And they were right.
20 million fans right.
Which leaves the other 80 million PS2 owners up for grabs.
Not quite the way they planned it...

The funny thing is that Sony chest thumping is the very reason MS got into consoles.

Way back 'round y2k Sony started bragging about how they were going to get people to do photo-editing and internetting and all sorts of home computer things with PS2 and they would take over the market for home PCs.
Microsoft, being a veteran of the home computer wars of the 80's--when gaming computers ruled the home market--saw this as a real threat so they decided they needed a firewall between Sony consoles and the PC and so the Xbox was born.
And very conveniently, a Mac gaming developer was looking for a deep-pockets home for a new FPS shooter they were working on.

At this point, all that remains is to see if MS continues its tradition of hitting homeruns with version 3.x of its products.
post #20 of 53 Old 03-15-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

ha, PC stuff on a PS2!

The PS2 had noticably lamer graphics than a low-end gaming PC at the time of its introduction.
post #21 of 53 Old 03-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2008 View Post

lamest line-up in history? Where were you for the nintendo 64? I can't believe nintendo even survived that generation...that system had nothing. I stopped gaming about a year after getting it for christmas and didn't start back up for a decade and that's not even a joke.

wrong!!!!!!
post #22 of 53 Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2008 View Post

Lamest line-up in history? Where were you for the Nintendo 64? I can't believe Nintendo even survived that generation...that system had nothing. I stopped gaming about a year after getting it for Christmas and didn't start back up for a decade and that's not even a joke.

Yeah, I suppose the N64 also had a bad first couple of months. But it did have Mario 64, while the PS3 had Resistance, I guess, which actually sucked pretty hard.

It isn't the size of the disk that counts, but how you use it.

Panasonic 46pz85u

4K cinema at 60mbps, coming soon to a kiosk near you.
post #23 of 53 Old 03-17-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 View Post

ha, PC stuff on a PS2!

The PS2 had noticably lamer graphics than a low-end gaming PC at the time of its introduction.

Ah, but remember; Sony had *credibility* in those pre-rootkit, pre- paid-online-stooge era. It was a big-pockets, do-everything consumer electronics giant. If they said they would do something, you had to take them seriously. (Memory-stick notwithstanding. )
By the time the PS2 actually shipped, MS was already committed to XBOX and they had taken onboard a lot of Sega refugees who liked the idea of another crack at the FUD-masters of Sony.
And so, a console war was born.
post #24 of 53 Old 03-17-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

E
The PS2 was a big disapointment for me. The graphics were just different not necessarily better and the games were the same old rehash with few exceptions: GTA3 being about the pinnacle of achievement. The video and audio quality actually seemed technically inferior in signal terms to the PS.

Wait, so are you actually saying that PS2 had worse graphics than PS1? You might not like PS2, but it had possibly the strongest and most varied game library in history.
post #25 of 53 Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post

Wait, so are you actually saying that PS2 had worse graphics than PS1? You might not like PS2, but it had possibly the strongest and most varied game library in history.

I didn't say they were worse but the PS2 just eemed to have unusually ugly graphics. Aliased , unpleasant hues. They just looked unpleasant even though they may have been more sophisticated than the PS1 . The technical quality on the video output from the ps2 was nasty. Apart from the GTA series I didn't really find much worth playing on it.

digital film janitor
post #26 of 53 Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
360:
Good: lots of good games, strong online service.
Bad: nickel and diming on peripherals and themes/gamerpics, $50 a year to play games on a P2P connection, ad-laden interface, poor d-pad on controller, locked USB format limits peripherals that can be used (for example, no Logitech G25).
Extra bad: Unreliable hardware.

PS3:
Good: Lots of good games, greatly improved services. Every complaint I had when I got the system in late 07 has been addressed. Free online play with dedicated servers, standard hard drive, USB and Bluetooth means lots of peripheral connectivity.
Bad: the "right around the corner" waiting game, high price, no packed in mic (good and bad to be fair). No demos for every PSN game.

Wii:
Good: A handful of great games, Virtual Console, excellent controller design.
Bad: Tons of bad games, even Nintendo seems to have given up catering to gamers. Barely functional online - Mario Kart is the only game that has a strong online system. Only one or two games even make an effort at exceeding graphically what was done last generation.

Quote:

I didn't say they were worse but the PS2 just eemed to have unusually ugly graphics. Aliased , unpleasant hues. They just looked unpleasant even though they may have been more sophisticated than the PS1 . Apart from the GTA series I didn't really find much worth playing on it.

The first round of games was pretty ugly but after that.... not really. And if the only game you found on the PS2 was the GTA3 series you really weren't trying very hard.
post #27 of 53 Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbicich View Post

wrong!!!!!!

Yeah, you tell me one incredible game on that system other than Goldeneye. *crickets chirping*
post #28 of 53 Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2008 View Post

Yeah, you tell me one incredible game on that system other than Goldeneye. *crickets chirping*

On N64? It wasn't the greatest thing ever but had lots of great titles. I'd classify Super Mario 64, Ogre Battle 64, Majora's Mask, and WaveRace 64 as "incredible" but obviously that is not very descriptive. It had many fine titles.
post #29 of 53 Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'll be the first to rag on Nintendo consoles for their less than stellar libraries, but the N64 had a shitload of good to excellent games.

Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Paper Mario, Conker, Starfox, Waverace, Turok 2, Blast Corps, the AKI wrasslin' games, all off the top of my head. There was plenty more worth playing as well.

The N64/Gamecube/Wii were/are always just a supplement to the other systems, as it would have sucked to only own just the Nintendo system of it's gen. I still wish the N64 launched with a cd drive, would have been neat to see what it was capable of.
post #30 of 53 Old 03-17-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Wii: [Total Games: 943*] Receives most use in the house. Wiiware, Virtual Console, family titles. Lots of lousy software, some good titles that are mostly ignored in favor of superior versions on other consoles (though some are afterthoughts or poor ports), few good exclusives. Terrible online experience. Best customer service.

360: [Total Games: 609*] Best ratio of quality AAA title games. Close runner-up for most played console in house. Least reliable hardware. Best online presence by far (DLC, free and pay video content, netflix, intelligent matchmaking, schedule downloads via website, etc.) Decent but not great customer service.

PS3: [Total Games: 443*] Least popular console by sales. Fewer games than other consoles, more ports than other consoles. Half-hearted online support at best, intentionally sabotaging at worst, but at least it's free. Most straightforward online purchasing system ($, not points), when you can actually navigate it. Expensive at every stage due to nickel-and-diming (no USB cable when you buy a controller?, no HDMI or Component cable with system?) Blue-ray player more popular than console itself. Most open console, hardware-wise. Hardest interface to penetrate, overall. Rarely played in my household.

If I had to choose just one console, it would be a toss-up between the Wii and 360, due to family choices.

* - (Games include all three regions, some announced by not yet released)
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page