What controller for Xbox 1 is ideal for playing old school platformers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Playing old Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis games on my Xbox 1 is just so freaking convienent. I actually still have my SNES and Genny and tons and tons of game carts, but just having everything on the hard drive, and having the save states and all that....Plus I can easily upscale the games to 720p, and they look outstanding.

The biggest problem with playing these old school games on the Xbox 1 is the controller. The D-Pad isn't exactly that great. I'd love to somehow have the D-Pad of the Sega Saturn controller or something. I'm also not really in love with the Xbox controller's buttons. I know that people have made usb controllers out of original NES controllers, Super Nintendo controllers, Genesis controllers, etc, etc. But the way I understand it, there isn't any way to get these working on the Xbox 1, unless you have unbelievable modding skillz, which unfortunately I do not.

Anybody already solve this issue? What are you guys using (assuming you also have modded Xbox 1's with tons of old school platformers on it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I modded a Sega 6 button for use with Xbox ages ago but have since given it away and have no idea where the tech data that I used is at but yes it can be done . I also seem to recall there being an old school SNES style controller made for the Xbox but I do not remember who made it , I did see it because I considered buying it for emulation use but I thought the price was too high (I think it was $40) . There used to be an Emu website with all this controller info on it but it's probably long gone by now . Not much help there , sorry .

- Jason
Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
depends on which system you're emulating at the time.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
so yea, if you had to pick one, you'd probably want excellent D-pad control, and at least 6 buttons on the face.

i'd get a model 2 saturn controller.

you'll also need some vga cables/connectors AND an original fat xbox controller.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
Old 03-21-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Wow, that's awesome formulanerd. Did you do that yourself? Is there a website that gives directions on how to do that? All I would really need is to be able to use a Saturn controller. I figure a Saturn controller would work outstanding for the vast majority of emulators. Obviously, it would be sweet to have the specific controller for each system, but I could live with the Saturn pad. I think the Saturn might have the best D-Pad, and the buttons have a good feel to them.

Where's you're turbopad for the TG-16? heh