Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MS says to forward the following ports.

If your device is not on the compatible list, you can try opening the following ports:

* TCP 80
* UDP 88
* UDP 3074
* TCP 3074
* UDP 53
* TCP 53

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

Now I came across a post in another forum by a person.

****and for reference the only port that needs to be forwarded is 3074 UDP(if not using upnp and only have a single xbox 360) the other ports listed are for things like cooperate firewalls which block communication on those ports, they simply need to be open for communication.****

Is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

MS says to forward the following ports.

If your device is not on the compatible list, you can try opening the following ports:

* TCP 80
* UDP 88
* UDP 3074
* TCP 3074
* UDP 53
* TCP 53

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

Now I came across a post in another forum by a person.

****and for reference the only port that needs to be forwarded is 3074 UDP(if not using upnp and only have a single xbox 360) the other ports listed are for things like cooperate firewalls which block communication on those ports, they simply need to be open for communication.****

Is this true?

"(if not using upnp and only have a single xbox 360)"-why wouldn't you use UPnP? I use a wired Linksys Befsr41 with UPnP forwarding enabled and ports 3074 UDP/TCP and 88UDP forwarded and I never have NAT issues.
UPnP is needed for media sharing, as well.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-31-2009, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unless you have something blocking outbound transmissions (i.e. a firewall preventing outbound traffic), you need only worry about incoming transmissions, as outbound ports like port 53 (for DNS) will work automatically. However, it is not enough to open port 3074 by itself. To achieve "Open" NAT status, you need both port 88 UDP and port 3074 UDP/TCP open.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post

"(if not using upnp and only have a single xbox 360)"-why wouldn't you use UPnP? I use a wired Linksys Befsr41 with UPnP forwarding enabled and ports 3074 UDP/TCP and 88UDP forwarded and I never have NAT issues.
UPnP is needed for media sharing, as well.

For the security conscious UPnP is not a good thing. It enables anything to have outbound access through the firewall in your router. It would be like back when Chuck E Cheese type places didn't check to make sure kids left with the right person. They could leave with anyone. Which in itself isn't a bad thing like if your kid wanted to spend the night with Aunt Suzy. No one would hassle her when she left out the door with your kid. On the flip side though no one would say anything when Chester the Molester left with your kid. Aunt Suzy would be your xbox and Chester would be malware and/or spyware in this example.

With UPnP turned off it works more like Chuck E Cheese does now where they make sure your kid only leaves with who they are allowed to. Now I know it is a bit more involved to set these up manually but really it only takes a few extra minutes. You will be better off. Not to mention when I switched my brother off of UPnP to manual settings his connection drops with XBL all but disappeared.

NOTICE: No kids were harmed in the making of this example.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page