Prototype - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 110 Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That fight is really easy if you have the right powers, but it can be rather long. There's a reason they give you so many tall buildings....I would hit her with the blade drop from the roof, and then retreat back up.

I would wait on the ledge until she shot those green orbs and debris at me(you can be close to the edge and they won't hit you) and then lock on her and jump off with the blade drop. 99% of the time the debris she throws as you're falling completely misses. Once you land, run back up and do it again. I didn't use the armor suit during this, as the speed advantage was needed to get away fast. She'll send a few hunters up every few minutes, which can be used to refill your energy. If you don't have the blade drop, I'm sure any other air drop move should work. I would recommend buying the blade drop asap though, as it makes hunters and super soldiers really easy to drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 07-15-2009, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the two quick replies

Formula...That was exactly what I was doing, however, I was neglecting to move in for the final kill. Thanks for the very throrough explanation.

Cooter...Good advice, I will try that as well. I have most of the powers/abilities as I spent some time flying around destroying water towers. I do have the blade drop.
post #93 of 110 Old 08-02-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Can someone please explain to me what "Genre" of game this is? Is it really a merely a "SandBox" type game, with missions ala "GTA:IV"? I really like the look of Prototype, but if it is just a mission game with LONG BORING TRAVELING SEQUENCES I'll just get bored after 2 hours. I appreciate any comments.

I've got some stuff.
post #94 of 110 Old 08-02-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksInDarkness View Post

Can someone please explain to me what "Genre" of game this is? Is it really a merely a "SandBox" type game, with missions ala "GTA:IV"? I really like the look of Prototype, but if it is just a mission game with LONG BORING TRAVELING SEQUENCES I'll just get bored after 2 hours. I appreciate any comments.

it's sandbox trhough and throuygh. Yes there are missions but the true fun is in the violence you deal and power your character has. in some respects if you lack creativity you may not find enough to do in the game. If you've played crackdown then you should expect a similar experience.
post #95 of 110 Old 08-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Sandbox sounds good. If your biggest annoyance is travel time, your character can traverse the entire city very quickly due to your jumping and gliding abilities.

Unless it's cheap, I would also try before you buy. People either seem to hate the game(for various reasons) or love it.
post #96 of 110 Old 09-20-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
My initial response to this game when I started playing it was "why the hell did I waste money on this game? Why to people think this is good? This is the worse piece of crp I have played since PDZ." However, I did pay full price for it so I figured I better dam well play it, and I had vacation already scheduled. So I am playing along and thinking that compared to crackdown or assassins creed this is lacking. There is no trying to figure out how to climb...just running up buildings *yawn* what is the effort in this.

But then I got the air dash and the glide and by the time I finished story mode some 50 hours later (yes I spent a lot of time just running around the city destroying crp and looking for orbs [have all but 13 of them] and getting the destroy stuff achievements) I think I actually had more fun with this game then I did with Batman.

Sure Batman has better graphics, better sound, better voice acting, better (ok standard comic bookie) story. But this game had, to me, the better fun. The boss battles were better because you could figure out how YOU wanted to approach them. You could do them as quickly or as tactically (aka slow grind) as you wanted (well except one). You had an entire city of doing wicked takedowns and were not limited to waiting for a guy to walk under your gargoyle. Sure you didnt have the cool karate fighting but there were plenty of different moves to master if you like that sort of stuff instead of just pounding X or Y. I just had more fun.

To me the first 20 min - hour were aweful. Having all the power and trying to figure out what the hell is going on and trying to read the tips as your getting pounded on all sides within the terrible red environment. Then having no power and just running up buildings which requires no skill at all. But then the game really REALLY comes into its own. If you like cool massive distruction that can be as mindless or as tatical as you want then this is a good game for you. If Spiderman and Hulk were like this I may have to go back for them, but I will miss Mercers cool powers.
post #97 of 110 Old 09-21-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
There's no demo for this game yet, right?

I'm really curious about it, but I just played the Dark Night demo and began wondering how the two (if at all) compared. Is this similar in the "punch punch kick" combo style of combat? Or is this more dynamic?

-JR
post #98 of 110 Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

I'm really curious about it, but I just played the Dark Night demo and began wondering how the two (if at all) compared. Is this similar in the "punch punch kick" combo style of combat? Or is this more dynamic?

Prototype's definitely much more than just "punch punch kick." But not necessarily for the better. My advice is to track down a copy of The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and play that instead (it's an original Xbox title on the BC list). Prototype is essentially the same game and it's by the same development team, only Prototype is much, much worse. I'd try renting it first.

EDIT: And, yes, the new Batman game is easily ten times better than Prototype. Prototype is the kind of game you pick up in two years in a bargain bin and play for a few hours before putting away for good.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #99 of 110 Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

-JR

completely different... batman is ten times the game prototype is.

prototype is like a really crappy version of crackdown, but instead of law enforcement, you're an infected, mutating, confused guy.... prototype isnt a bad game IMO, but it doesn't compare to crackdown (where it is most similar) and it's not in the same league as batman (which is in no way similar), IMO.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #100 of 110 Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll hold off on this for now, and keep my eyes open for a price drop or a used copy.

-JR
post #101 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have an unopened copy of Prototype that I can still return. There are so many other good games coming out right now that I'm tempted to exchange it for something else and then rebuy it later when it's in the bargin bin. It will probably drop to $30 before next summer.

I bought this game simply because of how much I liked Hulk:Ultimate Destruction from last generation. But I guess this isn't as good?
post #102 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cler View Post

I have an unopened copy of Prototype that I can still return. There are so many other good games coming out right now that I'm tempted to exchange it for something else and then rebuy it later when it's in the bargin bin. It will probably drop to $30 before next summer.

I bought this game simply because of how much I liked Hulk:Ultimate Destruction from last generation. But I guess this isn't as good?

it's much better than hulk ultimate destruction.
post #103 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Clearly formulanerd and confidenceman aren't fans but I really enjoyed Prototype. I haven't played HulkUD but the idea that they took that framework and made it worse is unbelievable.

I've previously given my thoughts on the game in this thread but I'll reiterate: Prototype rocks!! Just navigating the city is fun. The destruction is completely over the top. The enemies match up well. Vehicles are cool. The upgrade tree works. Mixing and matching your different powers mixes up the fighting. And the story is fine. The game has its issues but I don't see how anyone couldn't have fun playing it.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #104 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Fun is what matters most to me. That's what I liked about Hulk:UD, it was fun!
post #105 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fun is what matters most to me. That's what I liked about Hulk:UD, it was fun!

and it's more fun, there's a larger more realistic city to play in, a wealth of puny humans to obliterate, no moral system to speak of and you actually feel even more powerful than the hulk.
post #106 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

Clearly formulanerd and confidenceman aren't fans but I really enjoyed Prototype. I haven't played HulkUD but the idea that they took that framework and made it worse is unbelievable.

I've previously given my thoughts on the game in this thread but I'll reiterate: Prototype rocks!! Just navigating the city is fun. The destruction is completely over the top. The enemies match up well. Vehicles are cool. The upgrade tree works. Mixing and matching your different powers mixes up the fighting. And the story is fine. The game has its issues but I don't see how anyone couldn't have fun playing it.

Completely agree. May not be the best game technically (Graphics, VO and such) but it is freaking fun. I will warn you though that the first hour or so can be offputting. My initial reaction was "this game sucks" but then 50 hours later I am ready to go back and get more of the achievements. Having all the powers and just running around the city does Rock!
post #107 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM

I love just tarzan swinging beteween helicopters. i thought it was great.
post #108 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

If it's anything like Hulk:UD (only better?) then I think I'll keep it. I'll give it a go this weekend.
post #109 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

i think the game is pretty decent, but not as good as hulk was.

if you have it wrapped in the package, and can take it back for $60 while still having plenty of other games to play, i'd definitely wait for the $30-$40 price point.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #110 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I don't have too much extra time for extra games now anyways. It'll probably drop sooner than later.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page