Prototype - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 110 Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 434
We take an in depth look at 'Prototype' due out June 9th.

In Prototype gamers will have the opportunity to take control of Alex Mercer, a man with no memory of his past. The game begins with Alex laying dead on an autopsy table about to be cut open. Alex wakes up and escapes. From there the story revolves around Alex trying to figure out just what the hell happened.

'Prototype' takes place in a beautifully rendered New York City that ultimately serves as Alex's destructive playground, but make no mistake this is no mere GTA sandbox clone. 'Prototype' has been built from the ground up based on Alex's powers and how he interacts with the world around him. All of the game play in Prototype is centered around Alex's superhuman abilities. Alex has superhuman speed, strength, agility, durability, and healing as well as the abilities of consuming his enemies, and shapeshifting. Radical claims that there will be 750 "unique combinations" of the various powers. All of which will help to make 'Prototype' a unique experience on every play through.

When Alex consumes people, he is able to take on their appearance, as well as their knowledge. For example, while in disguise as military personnel, you can convince other soldiers that one of them is Alex. In turn the soldiers will fire upon the falsely accused soldier. Alex can also gain access to restricted areas in disguise as well as use special abilities such as calling in an airstrike if he is disguised as a commander.

If all of this sounds complicated have no fears. The game was designed with fluidity of movement in mind at all times. "Alex will automatically maneuver around or through obstacles or straight up a wall of a fifty story sky scraper, allowing the player to move him with ease using the simplified movement controls". Radical hopes that this will enable players to focus on the deep combat system that they have created for the game.

When Alex consumes an enemy, not only does he gain their abilities and appearance, but he gains their memories as well. This serves as one of the most interesting parts of 'Prototype'. By consuming memories Alex will unlock "nodes of the Web of Intrigue" which in turn advance the story. Alex will also consumes useful skills that will eventually allow him to pilot military vehicles and use various kinds of weaponry.

The Health system in the game is called "Biomass". "Biomass" is not just a simple health system that is used in almost every game. "Biomass" works by Alex consuming slaughtered foes and bystanders, which in turn raise Alex's "Biomass", which can also be used to perform incredibly devastating moves called "Devastator" attacks. These attacks can be performed when Alex has absorbed too much "Biomass" and must set some free in the form of "Devastator" attacks.

'Prototype' defiantly seems like it is shaping up to be yet another blockbuster title for Activison. Developer Radical seems to have crafted a well thought out, deep "Sandbox" game. If all the peices of the puzzle fit together like they should, 'Prototype' could be this coming summers first true hit. Be sure to keep a look out for our review of 'Prototype' when it hits store shelves on June 9th.

http://www.gamingfront.net/article/83/prototype/

The 5.0 is here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm so excited for this. Here are some trailers

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47312.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47586.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35541.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35545.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29492.html

Gamertag: wasey
post #3 of 110 Old 04-23-2009, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Radical - Original Prototype was “too huge,” delay has helped “realize vision”

The bad: Radical’s open-world, anti-superhero blockbuster Prototype has been heavily delayed. The good: it’s now been polished to buggery and pulled back to a more manageable “vision”.
“The extra dev time from last year really was a chance for us to polish, tweak and refine the missions and gameplay mechanics,” executive producer Tim Bennison told VG247.
“The original vision for the game was huge, perhaps a little too huge, so the extra time in development has let us realize that vision.”
The game was originally to release in autumn last year, but was pushed into 2009 last May. It was one of the Vivendi survivors of the Actvision Blizzard merger.
“We’re really excited to launch Prototype in June – it’s certainly been a big project for the entire company here at Radical,” Bennison added.
Keep watching. You’re going to see plenty more soon

The 5.0 is here
post #4 of 110 Old 04-23-2009, 05:45 AM

Also keep in mind that this is the same team that made Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. That game was F'n amazing. I'm sad that it isn't another Hulk game, but these guys really know what they are doing.
post #5 of 110 Old 04-23-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck-a-sauras View Post

Also keep in mind that this is the same team that made Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. That game was F'n amazing. I'm sad that it isn't another Hulk game, but these guys really know what they are doing.

Think of this as a maximum carnage game. that's my main draw.
post #6 of 110 Old 04-23-2009, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck-a-sauras View Post

Yes the xbox version I still play from time to time. The one for the 360 was booty.

The 5.0 is here
post #7 of 110 Old 04-23-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Yes the xbox version I still play from time to time. The one for the 360 was booty.

Is 'booty' good, or bad? I can't decide if you are going for the 'treasure' or 'ass' definition.

Prototype looks like it'll be cool. Blowing stuff up is fun.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #8 of 110 Old 04-23-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Is 'booty' good, or bad? I can't decide if you are going for the 'treasure' or 'ass' definition.

One of those is bad?
post #9 of 110 Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:

that meant bad I think. the Hulk game for the 360 was not made by this team.
post #10 of 110 Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

One of those is bad?

Quote:

that meant bad I think. the Hulk game for the 360 was not made by this team.

I knew I should have just said ass.

Before Bassmonkeee needs any more clarification it meant the game sucked(no wait he will interpet that for somthing else)
Guys it was just not good game.

The 5.0 is here
post #11 of 110 Old 04-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

I'm def picking this up. My type of game. The 10 reasons to get Prototype trailer at gametrailers.com was what convinced me.

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #12 of 110 Old 05-28-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
10 or 12 days away.... anyone excited?

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #13 of 110 Old 05-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm excited and was just searching the internet for new info on Prototype yesterday. The best part of GTA is just messing around in the streets for no particular reason. Prototype seems to take that part and make it, as CliffB would say, bigger, better and more badass. The wonderful toys Radical has come up with are going to be lots of fun.
A post on their Official forum confirmed there isn't going to be a demo. This struck me as odd because I had just watched an interview with Radical's president saying "When you pick up the controller that's when the heart and soul of Prototype comes alive." If that's the case then a demo would be a powerful marketing tool. With this type of game I know technical reasons could make producing a demo very difficult but a part of me sees this as a weakness.
Either way, Prototype hits Europe June 5th so we'll have plenty of user feedback before I can get it in the States. I'm looking forward to elbow-dropping a tank.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #14 of 110 Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

it's one of a few games I'm waiting on. No demo is a shame but I'm sold already. Infamous looks ot have done ok but it grows old quickly based on user reviews. prototypes gigantic bag of tricks may provide a better venue.
post #15 of 110 Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Hell, im torn between this and infamous. This one seems to be a little more "pure bad-ass" but infamous has been getting great reviews.
post #16 of 110 Old 05-29-2009, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Prototype = My Father's Day present

The previous post may contain spoilers, which will make the post less aerodynamic and increase handling at high speeds.
post #17 of 110 Old 05-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

No demo is not a good sign at all to me. If you have a great game, why wouldn't you want to show and ENTICE the general audience with pieces of the experience?! I guess we shall see but no demo most of the time means the game isn't going to be good as one might think.

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #18 of 110 Old 05-29-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
meh, plenty of great games came with no demo, and plenty of bad games had bad demos, bad games have also had good demos

the choice for a demo doesn't have any impact on how they think the game will sell.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #19 of 110 Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

making a demo for a game is basically saying ok wre going to take a couple dozen members of our team who are working on the game and then make them only work on making a demo. then we're going to take 50% of the people testing the game and make them test the demo. demos are a serious drain on talent and time. and unless it's planned way in advance it's likely that forcing demo production into teh games prodcution woudl majorly affect teh quality fo both. If it was between making a demo and having anotehr month of QA testing then by all means they should take the testing time and make sure the product is good.
post #20 of 110 Old 05-29-2009, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

making a demo for a game is basically saying ok wre going to take a couple dozen members of our team who are working on the game and then make them only work on making a demo. then we're going to take 50% of the people testing the game and make them test the demo. demos are a serious drain on talent and time. and unless it's planned way in advance it's likely that forcing demo production into teh games prodcution woudl majorly affect teh quality fo both. If it was between making a demo and having anotehr month of QA testing then by all means they should take the testing time and make sure the product is good.

Haze comes to mind

The 5.0 is here
post #21 of 110 Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

haze comes to mind :d

ha!
post #22 of 110 Old 05-30-2009, 01:47 PM

I'm way psyched for this game to come out. I showed a few videos to my wife and she fell in love instantly too, although was a bit disturbed by the gore-filled parts (She's the kind of person who likes to SAVE people in games and stuff -- feels guilty about murdering them lol).

June 9th is the official release date?

360 GT: FormidableOne
Games I Play: CoD 4, UFC 2009: Undisputed, WWE SvR 2009, Halo 3, and soon PROTOTYPE
post #23 of 110 Old 05-30-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormidableOne View Post

I'm way psyched for this game to come out. I showed a few videos to my wife and she fell in love instantly too, although was a bit disturbed by the gore-filled parts (She's the kind of person who likes to SAVE people in games and stuff -- feels guilty about murdering them lol).

June 9th is the official release date?

remind that it's ok all the people are "infected" even though they scream with every swipe of your twisted blade like hands...
post #24 of 110 Old 05-30-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am looking forward to this.
post #25 of 110 Old 06-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Anyone else surprised reviews haven't starting showing up yet? It's coming out in Europe Friday and in the US next Tuesday. I would think review copies have gone out but the only one I found was in Playstation World which someone was kind enough to bullet point here. It gave it a 9/10 but I don't take magazines with a console's name in it very seriously. Maybe E3 is effecting most reviewers focus. Maybe they didn't send out review copies. Maybe something else.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #26 of 110 Old 06-06-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

Anyone else surprised reviews haven't starting showing up yet? It's coming out in Europe Friday and in the US next Tuesday. I would think review copies have gone out but the only one I found was in Playstation World which someone was kind enough to bullet point here. It gave it a 9/10 but I don't take magazines with a console's name in it very seriously. Maybe E3 is effecting most reviewers focus. Maybe they didn't send out review copies. Maybe something else.

There seems to be an embargo on reviews (one site said until the 11th, which is after the release which is weird to me). That is a bad sign to me, but I'll wait and see.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #27 of 110 Old 06-06-2009, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Normally I'd take a wait and see approach with an embargo on a certain high profile game that is so close to release but I don't know, this seems a bit fishy to me. Something's nagging me and if it turns out to be a mediocre game I'll be a bit disappointed since I kinda anticipated this one. If that's the case I guess I'll get over it and go play some Infamous lol.
post #28 of 110 Old 06-06-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Considering Activision's latest actions, I'll wait for some reviews and I'm buying the game used even if it's worth a buy. Screw Activision
post #29 of 110 Old 06-06-2009, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
All early forum reviews are saying it's an awful game.

Stay away
post #30 of 110 Old 06-07-2009, 12:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I talked to an internet friend that has played it for several hours and he said "it's so-so at best", not even close to being as good as Infamous. He said it is very similar to Crackdown with character upgrades and objects like orbs to find hidden through the city. His final comment about it was that it's like Hulk:UD + Crackdown only not as good as either of those.

* almost forgot... annoying camera

Jason
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page