AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Beat it over the weekend.

Pros:
- The main story line was good overall.
- I finished in 38 hours and was surprised that I had played that long. It only felt like I had put in 25 hours into the game.
- The diversity of the characters was nice and I enjoyed a few of the backstories.

Cons:
- Combat is way too simple. Too few weapon choices and not enough powers that take far too long to refresh.
- This game is no longer an RPG, but as someone said earlier, GOW with more dialogue.
- The final boss battle was terrible.
- If I never scan another planet it will be too soon.

Ovservations:
- Anyone else think it is odd that your paragon character goes around robbing everyone while he's there to help?
- The best thing that Cerberus could think of to do after having the Normandy be destroyed is to build another one that is pretty much the same and then call it the...Normandy?

that being said, I'll be certain to play ME3 when it comes out.

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
just finished my first run through, and the message at the end confused me.
I don't want to keep exploring, but want the second option, which is to start over with all the added extra rewards.

To do that do I just create a new game?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

just finished my first run through, and the message at the end confused me.
I don't want to keep exploring, but want the second option, which is to start over with all the added extra rewards.

To do that do I just create a new game?

Yes. There will be an option to import an existing ME2 character.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^this

i just finished this up on caturday. my shorts got extremely short on the overal story.
thats all i gotta say about that

just about the same pro's and con's as salminella (sending a friends request)
except for the planet scanning. IM IN LOVE WITH A.... PLANET SCANNER!
in the end i scanned 100% of all planets in all avail clusters. even the cluster you have to find maps for, otherwise they never show up! i must destroyed so many cities by sending so many probes into the planets. in the end, though, it turns out i really didnt need to scan like crazy! loved it while it happened, but was a lil miffed in the end.
i thought maybe i would be powering up some crazy planet-busting ray-o-death with the 300,000 units of iridium and some 30,000 units of element zero i had!

too bad we got rid of the land cruiser. i fkn loved roaming the terrain, running ova alien species, and playing my music way to loud to hear, but loud enough to dis everyone.
Sweet Commander Shepards' Baadasssss Song

started a second playthrough. i've landed in Omega and just about to pick up my first team member (again). im not as focused on the story now as i know i will be doing another playthrough after this one (more on this later). this one im just going to run through doing some different choices. like what lucky double-X chromosome character shall produce my heir. LOLOLOLOLOL (hint: im'a try to setup a buffet table...in the biblical sense of the word) LOLOLOLOLOL

the prolly 3rd and final playthrough of mine will take place only after i run through Mass Effect 1...ALL OVER AGAIN! i had one particular Krogan die on me (my finger slipped!) and i dont like the tone of the Krogan people in ME2.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Funny line - Garrus when entering the hospital during Mordin's loyalty mission.

Garrus: That's unfortunate, hospitals aren't fun to fight through.
Shepard: What places are fun to fight through?
Garrus: Gardens, electronics stores, antique shops - but only if they're classy.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Something I miss in ME2 is the crew chatting with each other when out on the quests. There aren't many lines in ME2 except a few comments.

DA:O has some of the best and funniest lines from the party members chatting with each other when out on the quest. The girls like talking about girl's stuff to each other.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Fem Shep ft-effing-w.

I went into this game knowing a slightly Renegade Fem Shep would make this game 1000% more enjoyable. Her manly demeanor actually WORKS for her, as a woman in a high position.

I honestly don't see how people can play as yet another FPS male grunt. Oh wait, it's on the 360. The abundance of man leads disgusts me.

In any case, I love default Jane Shep. <3
Old 03-08-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If anyone's interested, the game is available from Amazon for $40 now. I'm glad I waited for the price-drop!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm only 15 hours into it but am enjoying it overall. I avoided reading anything about it (so was blind going in), so these have probably already been discussed.

My biggest complaint is in what kindof bizzarro world did anyone think scanning planets would be exciting?

Game Designer: "Hey, let's put about 3-8 planets in each system, and then put in this scanning system that takes about 5 minutes to scan each one by moving a target around waiting for the controller to rumble! Then of course we'll limit them to 30 probes and each planet will take about 20, so they can scan 1 or 1.5 planets, then have to return to buy more probes and fuel. That'll be fun for 2 minutes and will extend the game by at least 6 hours."

Seriously, I cannot believe how boring it is, and can't believe anyone at any point thought it was a good idea. I'd rather have the repetitive side missions from the first game. Unless I am somehow missing something with it....I basically start my scanner, then start at the top, use both thumbsticks (which makes it go slightly faster), rotate the planet one time. Then I move down and do the same thing again (repeat I believe 7 times to the bottom of the planet or until it says resources are Depleted). I was excited to get the scanner upgrade thinking it would help speed things up, but if it did, it seems to be a marrginal improvement at best.

My other complaints are:
  • I find the combat kindof easy (I am playing on the level above Normal...whatever that is called).
  • The RPG elements are really toned down. Almost no armor, weapons, or ammo management, or level-up for that matter. It's all been dumbed down.
  • I also hate that all the characters/relationships I built in the first game don't carry over (other than the who lives/who dies choices). So far I only have one character in my squad who was in the first game. Everyone else is just gone/busy. I think I got an email from one of them, but for the most part they just threw them all out and gave all new characters.
  • I was excited to go back to the Citadel and revisit everyone, but alas...it's completely been retooled and you can't even visit the same areas. According to the stats the Citadel is something ridiculous like 10km diameter and 45km long....and you can visit like 4 small areas. I was hoping they expanded it a bit.
  • No females seem remotely interested in me (I am a female character) Although when it comes to Jacob, my character (Renegade Female) is very forward.
  • I've only had 3 or 4 side quests assigned to me. Seems to be severely lacking in the off-mission quests.
  • Zaeed has no dialogue options like everyone else in my crew. I thought after I did his revenge mission, it would open up a dialogue tree with him, but it doesn't. He just goes on about random things with no interaction like everyone else.

I did get a laugh last night when I finally decided to order more than one drink from a bartender though. Don't know why that took me so long. I laughed when I ended up waking up on the Men's room floor.

Overall I am enjoying it though....not as much as the first game though. I keep waiting for something exciting to happen but the story is dragging and I feel no rush of urgency to save the Universe like the first game.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

My other complaints are:
  • I find the combat kindof easy (I am playing on the level above Normal...whatever that is called). It is, and it never really gets any harder. Not a bad thing, but the difficulty in ME1 made combat seem more exciting.
  • The RPG elements are really toned down. Almost no armor, weapons, or ammo management, or level-up for that matter. It's all been dumbed down. I really hope they bring this back in ME3. You do have some minor options in the armor later on in the game as you purchase upgrades, but it's nowhere close to the level of complexity that I loved messing with in ME1. I eventually just got used to it.
  • I also hate that all the characters/relationships I built in the first game don't carry over (other than the who lives/who dies choices). So far I only have one character in my squad who was in the first game. Everyone else is just gone/busy. I think I got an email from one of them, but for the most part they just threw them all out and gave all new characters. This was a bummer for me as well, since I grew to "care for" those old characters. Sure, we get a couple of them back, but why not the entire team? I got to like the new ones, but I kept wanting to have the option to have a good discussion with Wrex or someone to talk about the old days. Note that depending on how you played ME1 (or didn't play it), you will see some characters from the old game in ME2...but you won't really be able to interact with them
  • I was excited to go back to the Citadel and revisit everyone, but alas...it's completely been retooled and you can't even visit the same areas. According to the stats the Citadel is something ridiculous like 10km diameter and 45km long....and you can visit like 4 small areas. I was hoping they expanded it a bit.
  • No females seem remotely interested in me (I am a female character) Although when it comes to Jacob, my character (Renegade Female) is very forward. This took some time for me, so you might just not see anything at 15 hours in. I have to imagine that the sex of your character won't have any impact on romance stories in the game. It didn't in ME1.
  • I've only had 3 or 4 side quests assigned to me. Seems to be severely lacking in the off-mission quests. These will also pick up eventually. When I finished the game I had a SLEW of side missions I'd handled.
  • Zaeed has no dialogue options like everyone else in my crew. I thought after I did his revenge mission, it would open up a dialogue tree with him, but it doesn't. He just goes on about random things with no interaction like everyone else. I think this is a limitation because he is DLC, and not a main part of the original game. Since you can play this game without him, it appears that they put less effort (man hours) into developing him and adding dialogue options. Odd that they spent time making a trash compactor in that room...

I've finished ME2, and loved it, but I agree with you on all of your points.

I found that I looked past some of these things and focused on the overall experience of the game, which I found really enjoyable. At some point I realized I was less excited about saving the universe, but more excited about how I could prove Cerebrus wrong.

-JR
Old 03-08-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
The equipment management and inventory system of ME1 was so bad it was almost game breaking. I'm very glad it's been cleaned up for the sequel.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

The equipment management and inventory system of ME1 was so bad it was almost game breaking. I'm very glad it's been cleaned up for the sequel.

Oh, I agree with that. They definitely went to the opposite extreme with it though.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Do you have to have Renegade/Paragon completely maxed out for:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
The dialog option with Morinth just before Samara comes in. And also the Tali/Legion spat

My Renegade FemShep is about halfway filled with the final block, but in both of the above cases the Renegade option was grayed out. I'm bummed that my meter isn't filled since I did almost every Renegade option with only a couple exceptions. I don't know if my Paragon was full with my first playthrough.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

No females seem remotely interested in me (I am a female character) Although when it comes to Jacob, my character (Renegade Female) is very forward.

I believe in the first game, there was a choice between a heterosexual option and an Asari (nominally a woman, but technically gender neutral). I didn't pay any attention in "Mass Effect 2" to whether the same gendered option is provided for all potential romance characters or only for certain ones.

In any case, the romance progression in "Mass Effect 2" is tied to the main story line. You can't advance the dialog beyond a certain point without advancing the main story, no matter how good your relationship is with the character.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

[*]No females seem remotely interested in me (I am a female character) Although when it comes to Jacob, my character (Renegade Female) is very forward.

Pretty sure there are only heterosexual options available. Choose a male = sleep with a female. Choose a female = sleep with a male. I think BioWare got a bit skittish after the whole "sexbox" insanity with the first game. The unspoken assumption is that lesbian or gay sex is more "controversial" in a video game than straight sex.

Polymorphous sexuality has been pretty common historically in RPGs (say the phrase "role playing" to a non-gamer and you'll know why). Pretty sure it's a free for all in Dragon Age, but that's because they knew it didn't have the same high profile as ME2. Boo on BioWare for chickening out.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Old 03-08-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Pretty sure there are only heterosexual options available. Choose a male = sleep with a female. Choose a female = sleep with a male. I think BioWare got a bit skittish after the whole "sexbox" insanity with the first game. The unspoken assumption is that lesbian or gay sex is more "controversial" in a video game than straight sex. Boo on BioWare.

They didn't seem to have a problem with it in DA:O.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you can get it with Yeoman Chambers either way, but she doesn't count for the Paramour achievement.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I REALLY wanted an option of Renegade Fem-Shep x Jack. It makes ALL the sense in the world to me. **** you Bioware!

Kelly reminds me of Kristen Bell.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I'm one of those rare people who never had an issue with the inventory system in ME1. For some reason it didn't bother me, even when I had 5 of the same rifle, or 7 of the same ammo. I'd just roll through it and gel it out.

I liked that I had the flexibility to customize my armor in such detail on the fly, and was able to change weapons and ammo depending on the battle scenario, again, pretty much on the fly. I enjoyed having too much of the good stuff.

The ME2 inventory system is so clean that it's basically sterile. There are barely any weapons in this game, and you can count on one hand the ammo load-outs you can give them. You can't change on the fly - ever - so if you're at the end of a mission vs. a boss (or something of that nature) and you chose the wrong shotgun or heavy weapon, well, you're screwed.

There are pretty much only two types of armor. You can't change your helmet on the fly, so if you choose it on for the % boost, you're stuck tooling around the Citadel with your full helmet on. Not only does it look ridiculous, but you kill your cut scenes and conversation scenes.

Even the stuff you can do on the armor is negligable. 5% ammo boost that is a pack on your arm? Wow...exciting...not.

Although I agree with BioWare trying to streamline the inventory system, don't do it to the point where it's almost purposeless. This is an RPG at heart (or it was), so I want to customize not only my path through the Mass Effect 2 universe, I also want to customize my character and his experience through weapons and armor.

I'm hopeful they flesh out the inventory system on ME3. I think they just need to find the happy medium between the inventory systems in ME1 and ME2.

-JR
Old 03-08-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 204
With regards to the romance options, don't forget that if you choose
Spoiler  
Morinth instead of Samara, that you can choose to sleep with her as well
, even with a female Shepard. Again doesn't count for an achievement though.

As for a male or female version being better, I started ME1 with a male version, and the voice just bugged the hell out of me, so I switched to the female one. The male Shepard's voice just didn't seem to fit for me.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Liked: 93
Oh yes! Jennifer Hale did a vastly superior job to the dog vomit that is the male Shepard's voice actor.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:40 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

You can't change on the fly - ever - so if you're at the end of a mission vs. a boss (or something of that nature) and you chose the wrong shotgun or heavy weapon, well, you're screwed.

There's really only one weapon you should be using for each and whatever weakness the weapon has should be offset by powers or ammo types so you're never screwed. Even then there's usually a weapons locker just before a boss if you need to change it for some reason.

Don't ever buy anything from Sony...just don't.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm one of those rare people who never had an issue with the inventory system in ME1. For some reason it didn't bother me, even when I had 5 of the same rifle, or 7 of the same ammo. I'd just roll through it and gel it out.

Stopping to scroll through my inventory constantly to reduce items to Omni gel was just painful. Especially when doing so to upgrades, since every time you did it the pointer reset to the front of of the list so each time you had to scroll down again to get to the lower-level items, which naturally would be the stuff you would be gelling.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:

My biggest complaint is in what kindof bizzarro world did anyone think scanning planets would be exciting?

Game Designer: "Hey, let's put about 3-8 planets in each system, and then put in this scanning system that takes about 5 minutes to scan each one by moving a target around waiting for the controller to rumble! Then of course we'll limit them to 30 probes and each planet will take about 20, so they can scan 1 or 1.5 planets, then have to return to buy more probes and fuel. That'll be fun for 2 minutes and will extend the game by at least 6 hours."

Seriously, I cannot believe how boring it is, and can't believe anyone at any point thought it was a good idea. I'd rather have the repetitive side missions from the first game. Unless I am somehow missing something with it....

I think you're doing it wrong. There's really no need to fully scan with L-trigger depressed every single inch of a planet.

What I do is only pull the trigger very quickly in very short bursts as I scroll the target around the planet. This way, I can take spot readings very quickly, and anytime I see a 'pop' in the readout, I then hold the trigger down and zero in on the hot spot. I'm not even sure if you have to nail the hot spot precisely at all, because sometimes I'll have a huge hot spot of one element, and just a blip of another element, and I seem to get all of that second element out anyway.

I may not fully tap out every planet, but I don't really care. I get the resources I need, it doesn't really take very long, especially with the scanner speed upgrade, and as soon as a planet drops from Rich or Good to Moderate, I am out of there.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppo View Post

I think you're doing it wrong. There's really no need to fully scan with L-trigger depressed every single inch of a planet.

What I do is only pull the trigger very quickly in very short bursts as I scroll the target around the planet. This way, I can take spot readings very quickly, and anytime I see a 'pop' in the readout, I then hold the trigger down and zero in on the hot spot. I'm not even sure if you have to nail the hot spot precisely at all, because sometimes I'll have a huge hot spot of one element, and just a blip of another element, and I seem to get all of that second element out anyway.

I may not fully tap out every planet, but I don't really care. I get the resources I need, it doesn't really take very long, especially with the scanner speed upgrade, and as soon as a planet drops from Rich or Good to Moderate, I am out of there.

You are correct. I used the same method by spot to spot scan the planet quickly to see if there are anything worth mining. By the end of the game, I have do much resources leftover including Element Zero that I haven't used.

If I have to choose between planet mining and having to run on foot all over the cities on the planets to find resources, planet mining is much easier. It's very fast to fly around between planets.

Also gives me a reason to explore each planet because some planets do have interesting story behind it and discover side quests.

When you play a second playthough by importing the previous saved game, you are given a lot of resources already and you don't need to do as much planet mining.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stopping to scroll through my inventory constantly to reduce items to Omni gel was just painful. Especially when doing so to upgrades, since every time you did it the pointer reset to the front of of the list so each time you had to scroll down again to get to the lower-level items, which naturally would be the stuff you would be gelling.

Especially since once you got the Spectre gear there was no need for anything else.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Liked: 19
New Heavy Weapon available today called the Arc Projector.

I liked the old inventory as it made it easy to get credits. There's barely any in this. Also there's probably like 4x as many resources than you actually need. My first playthrough I was scanning every planet and had more than enough not even half way through the game. Pretty sure you can get by on soley depleting the rich planets.

Don't ever buy anything from Sony...just don't.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

When you start your second play through is your character the exact same or can you alter?

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY35AN View Post

When you start your second play through is your character the exact same or can you alter?

It's pretty much identical to when you import an ME1 character.

Everything is set in stone (like the backstory and classes), except the look of your character.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
2nd play through is pretty fun with existing ME2 character. Is it me or are there better armor upgrades available to buy? I bought a 10% shield boost. Either I missed it the first time through and only found the 5%, or they offer it on the second play through.

Lack of Fem shep romance with human females is lame. Its 2010 and lesbian romance is taboo?

Im playing through on insanity 2n play through. For all of you complaining the game is to easy while playing normal...step it up.