post #181 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I am going to be in the minority here, but I think the game is a disappointment.

The graphics are stellar good, at times. Character models are excellent, special ability effects are awesome. The environment is bland and the same everywhere you go in the entire universe, I guess they had one builder using one material.

The ammo system is lame.

There is NO WEAPON INVENTORY SYSTEM. It is completely removed. In fact, you don't even buy weapons, just a few minor pistol type weapons can be purchased. You cannot access your inventory to swap things out. You get one weapon per type (i.e. pistol). You have to decide what you are taking with you on a mission, want to change? To bad, go back to your ship, if you can, and exit again. Really, really bad inventory system. Everything is based on minerals you find on the planets, exploration, etc. Then you go to the professor on your ship and if you have the blue print he will upgrade the item.

You can get different ammo types that are like "powers" that you can use via the radial menu. Things like cryo. The whole inventory system is lame.

You also have to decide, on your ship, or only at certain key locations, what armor you want to wear. Find something better? To bad. Gotta wait to get to that ship. So hours, and hours later, you can change your armor. Everyone can where every armor type, no restrictions. Hinders replayability in my opinion.

Planet scanning is SOOOO lame, wow. How boring to send probes to the planet, run out of probes, buy some more at a fuel depot and repeat. Lame.

Flying that stupid little ship around a galaxy on the galaxy map feels like something from an old puppet and string play or something, corny and lame.

You have only a few powers, like 4. Then one special ability per class, and some "tech" powers. VERY VERY limited on leveling up powers and abilities. Not much to choose and gets boring fast (but dang they do look good).

Game is glitchy. 3 bad guys suddenly were standing on each other's head in a pole like fashion. Really weird glitches at times. Hopefully they patch it soon.

I knew it!! I knew EA would eff this up!!! They probaly took out the great inventory system from the first to somehow make it "easier". They're forever dumbing games down, because they "think" that's gonna bring new folks. I bet that's what happened. Otherwise, Bioware simply went backwards. Huh?

I knew there was something I couldn't put my finger on with this game. I really don't like the new interfaces, movement (now we have to press a button for cover, wasn't it automatic in ME1?), or inventory system. And not being able to change weapon ammo, and armor on the fly (like in ME1) is just stooooooopid. Damn, this is very upsetting. I almost don't even want to play this ish, and just play ME1 again.

Matter of fact, maybe I should just play all of the first games again. Might have more enjoyment. Just go back and play Gears of War 1, ME1, AC1.....because these companies are KILLING me!!! Jeezus, what in the world is going on?!!!

"Talk to me Goose."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm loving the game, but I have to agree that the inventory system is weaksauce.

I actually loved finding rifles and applying/removing different features from each to see what cool combo I could come up with. I had incredible sniper rifles so amped up that they overheated with every single shot right next to others I had modded out to take out synthetics...etc.

I loved swapping armor out randomly, depending on what the party was doing.

I knew they were going to clean up the inventory system, but I don't think basically getting rid of it was the right decision. Oh well, on the other hand I'm still really enjoying the game.

-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I completed both ME2 DLC. Normandy crash site DLC is very short and isn't much to do. Zaeed DLC is also quite short for 421MB file size and it added a new character, weapon and extra achievement, Revenge (15G).

While I'm not complaining about extra free ME2 DLC for buying the game new, having to waste 421MB of hard drive space for Zaeed to ensure the character and weapon stay in the game. I would have prefer if Bioware stored both DLC files on the DVD disc and unlock them since it already require Cerberus code from a new game to obtain them.
post #184 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 03:51 PM

Liked: 15
I agree, they jacked the inventory system entirely and that was a bad move for me. As an RPG game, it is really stripped down from ME1 but more accessible to the masses, I guess. Still, I played it a few hours and had a lot of fun...

On a side note I have the blackstorm gun and only used one clip (3 shots I think) and have not run into more ammo? I must be missing something. I guess it is good it is hard to find ammo for it due to the complete devastation it does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #185 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I got all that with a level 49 character I imported. I don't think it has to be a level 60.

Ah, ok, so maybe I got all that as well and missed it. For some reason I thought I saw the 100k...but it flashed by me and I was on my third beer.

-JR

post #186 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Yeah, while I hated the inventory of the first game, weakening it more isn't the solution. Instead, get rid of the 150 item limit or make it a little larger, and make a smarter auto-salvage type thing, and that'd have been enough, in my opinion. (Too Human did this right.)

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #187 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Man, the lack of inventory choices is gonna kill me. I just know it. So, is the return of boring planet scanning. Minerals, schminerals. And these new puzzles. Man, I'm so bummed right now. I'm at work, and almost dreading going home to play. From the beginning, the entire game underwhelmed me hugely. Not a good sign. Even the box cover art is lame. Damn, EA just came through and bumrushed this otherwise stellar start of a franchise.

"Talk to me Goose."
post #188 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

How come everyone is so quick to jump on EA all the time? The correct response should be "EA and/or Bioware." Unless some of you work for EA or Bioware and know something the rest of us don't?

XBL/PSN Name: Sheekamoo
post #189 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This is the exact same thing that happened with Bethesda between Elder Scrolls 3, and Elder Scrolls 4. Seriously dumbed down all the RPG stuff that made it so great. I'm only 2 hours in, so here is to hoping I can get used to it (I'm sure I will).
post #190 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I thought the first game was pretty mediocre and cumbersome. I didn't expect from this new game but I've really enjoyed it so far. It feels alot more polished and easier to jump into. I'm actually doing the sidequests this time. Last time I just barreled through.

post #191 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
According to Bioware, they took all the criticism to heart from part one to make changes for part two. If enough people complain about the inventory system - which I have noticed in a lot of reviews - hopefully they'll bring back a more detail orientated system for part three. Haven't played this new one yet, but I also enjoyed tweaking/comparing my inventory from part one.

post #192 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

This is the exact same thing that happened with Bethesda between Elder Scrolls 3, and Elder Scrolls 4. Seriously dumbed down all the RPG stuff that made it so great. I'm only 2 hours in, so here is to hoping I can get used to it (I'm sure I will).

And I'm not even really into RPG's, but I really enjoyed the RPG aspect of ME. Now, this new game is more like a shooter. I also love shooters. But, making this one more of a shooter, while taking away inventory doesn't make sense. I think the game already had huge amounts of action. It was so near perfect. Yes, tweaking the inventory would've been much better than scrapping it altogether. Now, there's countless numbers of boneheaded enemies, which makes the game painfully repetitive, without the rewards.

And I'm not feeling the new sprint mechanic, either. It's like roadie running in Gears, except these environments are entriely too closed in, still, and don't need it. The jogging in ME was fine. Not to mention, it makes Shephard look like an idiot.

"Talk to me Goose."
post #193 of 819 Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, so I notice that your squadmates faces appear on the screen.....the ENTIRE time they're with you. WTF?!!!

The mini-games, and puzzles are very lame.

Don't even like the story. A rebuilt Shephard? Seriously?

I've been watching some guy on YT play for the past half hour. And watching him launch probes to planets, and pick up rounds of ammo.........all I can say is ewwwwwww.

This, below, I got from another website, discussing the changes in ammo:

"I actually just read this from a recent Gamespot hands-on:-

We were quite pleased with these changes, but there was one that struck us as a bit odd: the way you deal with an overheated gun. No longer does your gun overheat from being fired for too long without a rest. Instead, it will overheat after a set number of rounds are fired, at which point you need to pop in a cooling rod (which works on all nonheavy gun types) to lower the gun's temperature. It's a neat idea, but functionally speaking, it seemed just the same as the standard ammo-reloading system seen in most shooters out there. While there's nothing wrong with that on its own, it's a weird technological downgrade to go from infinite ammo in Mass Effect to what's essentially limited ammo in the sequel."

That says it all. This entire game has lamed out. Yeah, so, I'm gonna take this back , and probaly pick up ME1 again, or just DL it now. I never did play the added mission anyway. I'll probaly DL AC1, too. And Gears 1, too. And Bioshock 1, too. And maybe I'll go back to MW1, too. These sequels just disgust me (Dunno about Bioshock 2 yet. But, I get the feeling it's gonna suck). I'm done playing mediocre ish. Have fun, guys.

"Talk to me Goose."
post #194 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742 View Post

Okay, so I notice that your squadmates faces appear on the screen.....the ENTIRE time they're with you. WTF?!!!

The mini-games, and puzzles are very lame.

Don't even like the story. A rebuilt Shephard? Seriously?

I've been watching some guy on YT play for the past half hour. And watching him launch probes to planets, and pick up rounds of ammo.........all I can say is ewwwwwww.

This, below, I got from another website, discussing the changes in ammo:

"I actually just read this from a recent Gamespot hands-on:-

We were quite pleased with these changes, but there was one that struck us as a bit odd: the way you deal with an overheated gun. No longer does your gun overheat from being fired for too long without a rest. Instead, it will overheat after a set number of rounds are fired, at which point you need to pop in a cooling rod (which works on all nonheavy gun types) to lower the gun's temperature. It's a neat idea, but functionally speaking, it seemed just the same as the standard ammo-reloading system seen in most shooters out there. While there's nothing wrong with that on its own, it's a weird technological downgrade to go from infinite ammo in Mass Effect to what's essentially limited ammo in the sequel."

That says it all. This entire game has lamed out. Yeah, so, I'm gonna take this back , and probaly pick up ME1 again, or just DL it now. I never did play the added mission anyway. I'll probaly DL AC1, too. And Gears 1, too. And Bioshock 1, too. And maybe I'll go back to MW1, too. These sequels just disgust me (Dunno about Bioshock 2 yet. But, I get the feeling it's gonna suck). I'm done playing mediocre ish. Have fun, guys.

Wow, it seems like you are just looking for reasons not to like the game. I'm loving it so far. I can't put the controller down. It's not perfect but it's a lot of fun.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #195 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

If the worst complaints folks can throw at ME2 are the ammo and inventory systems the game will do fine.
I've been skimming the guide (avoiding the walkthrough) and what I see is very much like ME1.
Yes, they simplified. But the stuff they simplified wasn't used or got in the way of the story. I see plenty of RPG tweaking in the power evolution choices, the research efforts, the upgrade system. Its *different* from ME1 but that doesn't make it inherently inferior. Dragon Age follows the classic RPG meme of equipment drops and on-the-fly inventory management but 90% of the field-acquired equipment is junk. Ditto for ME1 where there were maybe 5 suits of armor and two sets of weapons that were really worth having. A lot of the abundance of gear and ammo types was just clutter; it didn't detract from the game but the value-add was limited.
The only game where the classic meme really worked for me was the not-as-bad-as its-rep Two Worlds. There you could stack up twenty junk swords/shields, whatever, to create a really good one. There, generic loot drops and gear management had real value added.
But ME1? Meh! Once you got into Spectre weapons and Colosus armor the experimenting was over.
Which was good; ME's trademark by now is the characters and the story. And I, for one, like that ME2 is not a cookie-cutter repeat of the same gameplay with a different storyline. Its recognizably Mass Effect: the Codex is there, the Journal is there, the wheels are there; the talent points and the power boosts are all there. But different; now some powers can affect the whole squad. Or not. Shepard isn't the only one who specializes, but rather all ten companions, and everybody specializes at least two power chains. That's four variants for every character. Going to take a while and a lot of replays to figure out what the optimum choices are there. And that makes each of the companions unique.
If RPG tweaking is your thing, I think there's plenty to be found in ME2; its just found in different areas, different approaches. Its a bit discomforting to find something familiar changed on you but wouldn't*more* people be griping about money-grubbing EA putting out a cookie-cutter ME2 with only slightly altered gameplay?
Its Mass effect but its different.
Isn't that what a good sequel should be?
Its a new game, not an expansion/remake of the first.
I suspect I won't like some of the changes; I'm really wary of the timed nature of the minigames...
But I also suspect I'd like the game less if I could instantly apply all my ME1 tricks to instantly master ME2. I'm hoping for a challenge here; something that will make me work to find the optimum path to kickass-dom.
In ME1 Bastion Adept makes mincemeat off everything in Insanity. I'll be shocked and disappointed if that is the case for ME2.
I don't want my sequels to be mere retreads, I want them to take risks, evolve, grow, and drag the genre forward with new approaches and new techniques. If I just wanted the same old, same old with new graphics I'd be playing JRPGs, not BioWare games. Those guys make it clear they don't like to repeat themselves.
And I don't want them to.
And if it means I won't be wholly comfortable with all their choices so be it; they haven't disappointed me yet (Dragon Age graphics aside). They put a lot into their games; the least I can do is put some effort to try to figure out what they've put in.

Now, I may yet be screaming bloody murder when I get to the end (that dragon Age climax! egads!) but I'll wait until I get that far to do so.
BioWare's earned that much trust from me.

(Now where the heck is that UPS truck?!)
post #196 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Did they just not understand that the complaint about the inventory system was how clunky it was, not the fact that it existed.

It's like they said, "You don't like the inventory system? Then FU."
post #197 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, they did improve it for the PC version, didn't they?
And that was well received, so if they really wanted to, they could've just cloned it.
Strikes me more as a calculated design decision than a fit of pique...
post #198 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Thankfully, I got the game yesterday from Amazon (woo hoo warehouse in my state!), so I got a chance to play. Having played it fjtorres is right. ME1 was not a loot game. It may have had loot in it, but most of was useless. They have expanded the "upgrade" mechanic to other areas. You now no longer have spend 20 minutes in the middle of a battle hunting through your inventory. I do not see a problem with it. And this is coming from a person who loves loot games. ME1 was not a loot game so I can see why they changed things up in the sequel. You can still change the armor in the armory or before you go out on a mission.

Overall I am really enjoying the game. I still have to take some time to get back into the rhythm of the game mechanics again. They are really ramming home the whole suicide mission plot especially at the early point of the story where you really not sure it is going to be a suicide mission.

One thing I caught myself doing was waiting for the textures to load, but they were already there. I got so used to it in the first game that it seems odd not to see it happening in the sequel.
post #199 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Play ME1, then play ME2, and tell me this game doesn't look and feel like it's made for 10 yr olds.

I'm just sayin...

I don't blame Bioware, I blame EA.....because all of their games have the same dumbed-down feel, even their sports games. Especially their sports games.

"Talk to me Goose."
post #200 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I disagree with the notion that making the game more accessible has made it dumber. Instead of the same actions you would take to go into your inventory screen spend two or three minutes switching ammo types for you and your squad they mapped the same action to a wheel. That makes the game easier to interface with. It does not make the game easier to play.
post #201 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Play ME1, then play ME2, and tell me this game doesn't look and feel like it's made for 10 yr olds.

I'm just sayin...

I don't blame Bioware, I blame EA.....because all of their games have the same dumbed-down feel, even their sports games. Especially their sports games.

Wow. 10 year olds? What 10 year old do you know that likes to sit through that much dialogue and back story about anything?

I agree that I enjoyed the inventory and armor in ME1 much better but you seriously do sound like you're finding EVERY reason not to like this game.

Personally, I find the sci-fi setting, story and character interactions to be pretty cool. I'm taking my time, reading the Codex\\Journal entries, Scanning planets (lame, I know but I also enjoyed riding the buggy around in the ME1 ) and being in F#@king space! Hell yeah!

And... Miranda.... You know what Im talking about

Gamertag= Nexus976lives
PS3= Nexus976
Wii= Be serious, now....
post #202 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 442
May I make a request to keep story spoilers at a minimum in this thread please? At least for a little while.

The spoiler tags work well, like this : [*spoiler] The spoiler ! [/spoiler] (remove the "*")

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
post #203 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I put in a couple more hours last night, and I'm starting to come around on the game overall. I still don't like how simplistic the RPG aspect of it is, especially the inventory, and the leveling up stuff. The gun reloading will always bother me too I think. Overall though I'm gonna have to say that so far the game is pretty awesome, and has some noticeable advantages over the first game, most notably the Graphics. I'm playing the PC version, and it looks pretty darn nice.
post #204 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 20+ hours in, and I agree with WilliamR... I'm kind of disappointed.

I liked the huge variety of weapons, armor, weapon/ammo mods, armor mods, biotic amps, etc in ME1. The inventory system was bunk, but I'm tired of only finding credits everywhere. Easily one of the worst things about the sequel.

I kind of miss the Mako! There should have been less of it in the first game, but the sense of scale in some of the areas is gone. Some of the new levels have great design, but it's corridor shooter one after another.

The music took a step back...the cheesy "sci-fi" vibe is gone, mostly. Characters also look lower poly, will have to pop in the first game again to compare. Some of the textures look pretty awful in places.

I also don't recall making one tough decision yet. Maybe that's all later, but the first 20 hours is pretty straight forward.

I love the layout of the Normandy now, and skipping around it is no longer aggravating. Hopping around the worlds feels much improved, but that seems to come at the expense of scale. Nothing is as large as the Citadel in the first game, but that's not a bad thing imo. Mordin is the best thing in the game, his dialogue and delivery are top notch.
post #205 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

May I make a request to keep story spoilers at a minimum in this thread please? At least for a little while.

The spoiler tags work well, like this : [*spoiler] The spoiler ! [/spoiler] (remove the "*")

Yes Please! Some of us are slower than others but for the most part so far looks like everyone here has been good with no spoilers

XBL : lowgn
post #206 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replicant Nexus6 View Post

Wow. 10 year olds? What 10 year old do you know that likes to sit through that much dialogue and back story about anything?

Really? When I was 10 years old I was cranking out like 3 or 4 books a week.
post #207 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Really? When I was 10 years old I was cranking out like 3 or 4 books a week.

Yeah, but he's talking about the current generation of 10 year-olds - the ones on Halo and COD dropping N-bombs and spamming nukes.
post #208 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I missed out on the inadvertant free DLC the evening/morning of the game's release.
Does anyone know when more DLC will be available for ME2, either on Cerberus network or on XBL itself?
post #209 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Wow, some people really need to learn to not sweat the small stuff. I was dissapointed with the inventory at first (or, lack of), but just put it behind me and have been thoroughly enjoying the 15 or so hours I have played so far of ME2.

Lake, I'm curious when the last time you actually played ME1 was? You seem to be remembering it with rose tinted glasses. I just replayed ME1 earlier this month in preparation for ME2, and it is ripe with technical issues and really shows it's age imo. Terrible framerate, bland environments, textures still popping in 5 minutes into a conversation, squadmates that run around in the open eating rockets. I think the improvements to the graphics in ME2 alone more then make up for anything they "broke".

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #210 of 819 Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I'm just sayin...

Sell the game while there still value. It'll save you a lot of typing.

For me, ME2 improves over ME1 in every way. If you have inventory OCD then there are plenty of games where you'll spend just as much time in the inventory screen as game. For me, I rather spend my time in combat and conversation.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page