The "Forza 3 is coming lets talk about racing setups" thread! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 90 Old 11-12-2009, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The wheel works VERY well with Forza. There is no comparision to usising a controller. There are several places that sell the wheel for $85 online.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 11-12-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Can Daekwan or someone else with an Evo measure the height of the wheel tray on the Evo for me? Looks like the Obutto will not ship by XMas and I may just grab an Evo for my Fanatec wheel thats coming and I need to know the height to buy a table for the monitor. Thanks if you can assist!

Frank J. Cone

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #63 of 90 Old 11-12-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Sure.. if you tell me what the J. stand for in Frank J. Cone. Call me nutz but I've wondered that for years now. Reminds me of Fred G. Sandford.

The G stands for "Gangsta".. lol

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #64 of 90 Old 11-12-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL! Joseph. Apparently my paternal grandmothers favorite saint (Old Irish Catholic family from the Bronx, everyone has a sain't name in there somewhere)

That is the first time I have ever typed my middle name out. I wrote the name exactly once as well. In sixth grade my math teacher said we had to write our complete names for a state test. I always used J. as my father is "Frank Cone" It seemed a better idea than "Jr."

Frank J. Cone

post #65 of 90 Old 11-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

Can Daekwan or someone else with an Evo measure the height of the wheel tray on the Evo for me? Looks like the Obutto will not ship by XMas and I may just grab an Evo for my Fanatec wheel thats coming and I need to know the height to buy a table for the monitor. Thanks if you can assist!

is the Fanatec shipping by Christmas? Last I heard was at least December for them and they seem to have a history of shipping delays.

I've decided to go the DIY route first and if that doesn't work pick up an Obutto later. Some of the PVC DIY solutions out there are pretty slick.

post #66 of 90 Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

The wheel works VERY well with Forza. There is no comparision to usising a controller. There are several places that sell the wheel for $85 online.

thanks. That was the reason I ask, walmart has it for $80
post #67 of 90 Old 11-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername View Post

I've decided to go the DIY route first and if that doesn't work pick up an Obutto later. Some of the PVC DIY solutions out there are pretty slick.

Is that yours?
post #68 of 90 Old 11-12-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

thanks. That was the reason I ask, walmart has it for $80

Hey you can always take it back!

Frank J. Cone

post #69 of 90 Old 11-12-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is the Fanatec shipping by Christmas? Last I heard was at least December for them and they seem to have a history of shipping delays.

If you order this week or so (Till shipment is sold out) it is expected to arrive before Xmas.

HOLY SHOOT thats a sweet PVC rig! I need to go look at some of those.

Right now my plan might be to use PVC for a monitor stand for my 25" monitor. Once I have the measurements I can make one the correct height.

Frank J. Cone

post #70 of 90 Old 11-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

not mine, I found it here: http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index...pic=28016&st=0

he has more pictures and a set of plans here: http://s683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/simul8r/?

My brother and I are going to try and do part of this one this weekend:

we'll do the frame without adding the frame below the seat and without the seat so I can just move the frame up against my recliner as is like a wheel stand. Then when I move and have a bit more room to move the rig in and out of place we can just add on the frame needed for the seat and get a seat for it.

Hmm, now that I'm saving money on the rig and the delivery should be here by Christmas that Fanatec is calling me.
post #71 of 90 Old 11-13-2009, 12:38 PM

There has been some mods and a added version to include a monitor stand built by a builder using my plans. It's all at the lumenlab thread. The Integra seat only cost me $17.00 US from a pull-a-part junk yard.
post #72 of 90 Old 11-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

I ended up going with your design after trying to put one together that would slide up to my recliner. The recliner rocks, so I just couldn't get it to set up well with a slide up.

Fortunately, I had enough supplies to just change the size of few pipes and rearrange everything to get to what you had. Now I just need to glue it today, paint it, and find that pesky seat.
post #73 of 90 Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 AM

I will try to have some pictures up next weekend, or maybe today if I give up on the logos.
post #74 of 90 Old 11-17-2009, 06:52 AM

so I picked up some 3/4 inch galvanized tubing at home depot, a few 90's, a few 45's, and a T connector. Screwed it all together and it actually works pretty good. It's not complete yet, I am having a hell of a time connecting the wheel to the tubing as it is round. In the picture below, note where the wheel is positioned. The way my jerry rig is, there is a T where your crotch is extending down. Sadly, this is where the MS adapter thing is trying to screw into and falling off. Perhaps a welded plate. Suggestions please... Picture something just like this, only much more basic:

Now, my goal was to save money and do it myself, but it was about $40 for all this heavy metal , so I'm kind of torn because for about $80 more I could have that with a ms wheel adapter built in, plus adjustable, PLUS I won't have to fudge around with what I have
post #75 of 90 Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:

I ended up going with your design after trying to put one together that would slide up to my recliner. The recliner rocks, so I just couldn't get it to set up well with a slide up.

Fortunately, I had enough supplies to just change the size of few pipes and rearrange everything to get to what you had. Now I just need to glue it today, paint it, and find that pesky seat.

Any car seat can work as long as their sliding mounts are leveled on all 4 corners and within equal distance to fit onto the wooden platfrom it's bolted on. The Integra seat had 1 corner I had to modify with pliers. For ergonomics as far as height either to the front or rear of the seat you can space them with washers, shock bushings or disgarded caster wheels.
post #76 of 90 Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

For what it is worth, I use a Playseat with a 2 1/2 year old wireless MS wheel. Of everyone I know who played on a controller at a high skill level that switched to a wheel preferred playing on the wheel after a few weeks. Playing on a regular controller makes it feel like a video game. Playing on a well-mounted wheel feels like a racing simulator. Even if your times are slower at first, eventually most times will be faster on a wheel than on a controller.

I also play using my old home-theater projector for my screen. This is a Sanyo Z2 (yea, THAT old!) 720p projector with 4000+ hours on the bulb projected onto a mustard-yellow wall. And even worse, I have it blown up to 120" wide. Even in this worse-case-lumens scenario, the blinding sun on Sonomo reverse tracks is truly blindingly-bright and feels quite realistic, I think. I can not imagine playing on anything other than a projector on a huge-screen size again. 1st person shooters, driving sims, sports games, golf, rock band... all of them are much more visceral and engaging with a giant screen.

Originally I promised myself to replace the projector when the bulb finally pops, expecting it to happen by 2,500 hours. I am far past that now and find the sub-$1000 projectors available have 8-10 times the brightness with better contrast and colors. I am almost begging for the bulb to give out because I refuse to buy a projector even one-day early. I may even decide to go the used projector route, since everything that still works is better than mine. But yet, I enjoy playing on my setup than any of my friends with their 50-60" plasma, lcd, and rear-projection setups.
post #77 of 90 Old 11-18-2009, 07:59 AM

I'm thinking I might just spring for the xlerator stand you see above. My tubing chair thing now won't fit in my theatre chairs. Becoming more of a hassle than anything. Like riblet just said, you need to have it solidly mounted or forget it. What's a few more dollars anyways?
post #78 of 90 Old 11-18-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riblet View Post

For what it is worth, I use a Playseat with a 2 1/2 year old wireless MS wheel. Of everyone I know who played on a controller at a high skill level that switched to a wheel preferred playing on the wheel after a few weeks. Playing on a regular controller makes it feel like a video game. Playing on a well-mounted wheel feels like a racing simulator. Even if your times are slower at first, eventually most times will be faster on a wheel than on a controller.

I also play using my old home-theater projector for my screen. This is a Sanyo Z2 (yea, THAT old!) 720p projector with 4000+ hours on the bulb projected onto a mustard-yellow wall. And even worse, I have it blown up to 120" wide. Even in this worse-case-lumens scenario, the blinding sun on Sonomo reverse tracks is truly blindingly-bright and feels quite realistic, I think. I can not imagine playing on anything other than a projector on a huge-screen size again. 1st person shooters, driving sims, sports games, golf, rock band... all of them are much more visceral and engaging with a giant screen.

Originally I promised myself to replace the projector when the bulb finally pops, expecting it to happen by 2,500 hours. I am far past that now and find the sub-$1000 projectors available have 8-10 times the brightness with better contrast and colors. I am almost begging for the bulb to give out because I refuse to buy a projector even one-day early. I may even decide to go the used projector route, since everything that still works is better than mine. But yet, I enjoy playing on my setup than any of my friends with their 50-60" plasma, lcd, and rear-projection setups.

You have to admit though LCD and Plasmas have their advantages. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCghf...layer_embedded

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #79 of 90 Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Bought plans from microsim race base and built it from mdf. I think they stopped selling them.

It's for sale if anyone interested. I'm in zip 21045.
post #80 of 90 Old 11-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Wow, that's pretty cool. Puts mine to shame.
post #81 of 90 Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried any of these pvc stands.. i want something so i can use my existing couch for now.. but not pay over $40 for a stand or have to spend hours making one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Steering-Wheel-S...#ht_3008wt_943

There was also this one, wheelstation pro, but its about $70 shipped: http://www.wheelstationpro.com/ looks like it may slide on carpet, but maybe not.

I also have a simple wooden foldable "tv stand" or dinner stand, not sure what you call it, but it may work just for the wheel perhaps.. though it could be too unstable.

Thanks

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com

post #82 of 90 Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Cheap, quick, good.

Pick any two.

You'll get much greater satisfaction out of the final product if you custom tailor it to your own preferences.
post #83 of 90 Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 AM

I originally posted this in the Forza 3 thread but no one seems to check it anymore. Anybody have any suggestions based on my comments.

I got the MS wheel over xmas and have been working on getting comfortable with it. Over the past couple of days I have noticed a few things and I'm wondering if it is just how the wheel is or if there are settings I can use to make adjustments.

The first thing I noticed about the wheel is that the actual steering input does not match the wheel in the game. The steering wheel in the game will reach full lock left or right much sooner then I will with the ms wheel. I tried looking at the settings and didn't see anything that would adjust this. Is that just how the wheel is or am I missing something.

Another odd thing I've noticed is when a car goes into a a slide and I try to correct it I noticed that the actual steering in the game will not remain at a smooth angle but will kind of jutter back and forth, it only seems to do it in opposite lock in a slide. I'm wondering if it is the force feedback/vibration settings of the wheel effecting the input in the game. I have dialed those back in the controller options but still notice it. Is there anything else to eliminate this. I think having the steering behave smoothly would help make it easier to save the car a bit more.

Maybe someone has some good recommended settings.
post #84 of 90 Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickniner View Post

I originally posted this in the Forza 3 thread but no one seems to check it anymore. Anybody have any suggestions based on my comments.

I got the MS wheel over xmas and have been working on getting comfortable with it. Over the past couple of days I have noticed a few things and I'm wondering if it is just how the wheel is or if there are settings I can use to make adjustments.

The first thing I noticed about the wheel is that the actual steering input does not match the wheel in the game. The steering wheel in the game will reach full lock left or right much sooner then I will with the ms wheel. I tried looking at the settings and didn't see anything that would adjust this. Is that just how the wheel is or am I missing something.

Another odd thing I've noticed is when a car goes into a a slide and I try to correct it I noticed that the actual steering in the game will not remain at a smooth angle but will kind of jutter back and forth, it only seems to do it in opposite lock in a slide. I'm wondering if it is the force feedback/vibration settings of the wheel effecting the input in the game. I have dialed those back in the controller options but still notice it. Is there anything else to eliminate this. I think having the steering behave smoothly would help make it easier to save the car a bit more.

Maybe someone has some good recommended settings.

I dont actually have the wheel yet, but i found these settings (so when i get it i can play with it)..

See if any of them help.. do report back if you can on what you actually changed...

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/fo...d.aspx#3087270

post #85 of 90 Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I received my Fanatec right after Christmas, however they had a problem with the adapters working with the MS pedals. I just received my new adapter this week. I have the Fanatec wheel, MS pedals, in a Playseats rig. The Fanatec wheel is great!!!!
post #86 of 90 Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Santa brought me an Xlerator Racing Stand for Christmas. Unfortunately, it was really bulky, and I wasn't sure where we could store the thing. So it got sent back to the workshop. To the workshop's credit, they gave us absolutely no issue with the return.

Instead, we ordered a Fanatec Rennsport Wheelstand, plus the XBox 360 racing wheel adapter.

It took about a week and a half to arrive.

When you get the box, you wonder how they can fit a whole wheelstand in such a tiny box. Then you lift its 25 lbs, and realize that you are in for a bit of assembly.

The instructions have no text, only pictures, and it was pretty straight forward to assemble.

There are 2 circlips, a knob, and 4 bolts. The rubber feet on the stand are thick and heavy and will not budge. All tools are included.

There were no instructions with the 2 metal pieces that are meant to attach to the 360's base to the wheelstand. It took a little figuring to understand how it went together. Let me just give a tip that the holes are chamfered on the correct side of the mounting plate. If you don't think they are, you are putting the piece on the wrong side!

With the wheel securely mounted, I just had to figure out how to secure the pedals. I decided to zip tie the pedals to the base and use the stops at the end of the base to keep them from moving. This way, when I fold it up for storage, I can slide the pedals down so that the wheel doesn't hit them. I wound the cable from the pedals to the wheel around the wheelstand pole, with a little slack to ensure that it could be folded up without stress.

This stand is HEAVY once assembled, and it is extremely sturdy. I was a little put off by the lack of lock washers, but they use such heavy duty, big hex cap bolts that there is no way they are loosening up.

The side battery compartment of the 360's wheel is perfect storage for the hex wrench used to adjust the height of the stand. And I may tape the bigger one to the inside wall of the pedal rest.

Now for the fun part. Racing with this wheel stand is amazing! The racing wheel is already a ton of fun, but once it is securely and sturdily mounted to this stand, Forza 3 really comes to life. No longer am I bracing the wheel with my legs, which means my legs don't ache when I'm done with a race. I actually ended up turning up the force feedback, because now that the wheel isn't pushing down on my legs, I can use the extra force without it moving the wheel base.

This stand has made as much a difference as the wheel itself did in Forza 3. You feel more connected with the cars, and more connected to the road.

This sucker may be expensive, but it is a quality, well made piece that really changes the game.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #87 of 90 Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

Santa brought me an Xlerator Racing Stand for Christmas.

Wow that is a bit pricey.. $129ish.. plus shipping i'm sure..

I'm trying to find or build something in the $20-$40 range.. I'd like to get an Evo playseats chair someday, those are $216 shipped...

I'm leaning towards a simple PVC setup that i've seen online.

What i wish, was that there was a way to have a dedicated clutch pedal with the MS Wheel.. the only thing i can find is a hack someone did to their wheel, basically taking the wire lead through the side, from whichever button is clutch (A?) and using a rockband or guitar hero pedal and the input mechanism.. perhaps its not a hard mod to do.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/fo...d/3454639.aspx

One example is http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/fo...t/1888914.aspx

I do want something height adjustable, so my 6 year old can sit on the edge of the couch or in a chair and still reach the pedals.

As of now i'm using a wooden tv/tray foldable stand, works ok, alittle higher than i'd like though.

post #88 of 90 Old 01-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post

I received my Fanatec right after Christmas, however they had a problem with the adapters working with the MS pedals. I just received my new adapter this week. I have the Fanatec wheel, MS pedals, in a Playseats rig. The Fanatec wheel is great!!!!

yeah, I buckled sometime after that post and ordered a Fanatec myself. I ordered just in time for that late November shipment and the wheel arrived to me in early December after about a month's wait.

Ended up building a pvc rig that I talked about before.

Love it.
post #89 of 90 Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 PM

I have the wheel and think it works great on forza but never tried drifting with it.Does it seem easier with the wheel or the controller?I did some drifting in pgr4 with the wheel and while the control seemed better,it felt akward to push the A button to start the drift.
post #90 of 90 Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Ended up building a pvc rig that I talked about before.

Love it.

Have any pics of this clevername, I'd like to see it.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page