Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
proof of concept right there.

i remember this kid who posted RB vids on youtube forever... one day he posted a vid of his ION kit for sale, and a vid of him playing real drums.... kids pretty damn good.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronn View Post

im still stopping by the music stores very soon. lets see what real drummers have to say about this

http://kotaku.com/374231/video-proof...u-some-drummin

Then there's this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj_GuoR7mOo

And by the way RB > GHWT.
post #33 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 View Post

http://kotaku.com/374231/video-proof...u-some-drummin

Then there's this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj_GuoR7mOo

And by the way RB > GHWT.

kevin already played drums before rock band. but tronnis going overboard. rock abnd is a gateway drug for musicians and that was teh full intent on HMX's part(next to making some money).
post #34 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
After thinking about it, I worked a deal out with my brother since he can get a discount for RB2. I'm going to swap GH: WT with him for RB2.
post #35 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

check the deals thread... amazon is giving 50% off of any game or accessory if you trade in $50 or more of used games.

amazon's trade in prices are worse than gamestop. Unless you are a flipper who has a ton of time on your hands (and i don't think avsforum users fit this bill), this is hardly a deal.
post #36 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

amazon's trade in prices are worse than gamestop. Unless you are a flipper who has a ton of time on your hands (and i don't think avsforum users fit this bill), this is hardly a deal.

huh? dude, even if you went out and bought a brand new $60 game, and they gave you $50 for it, you'd be out $10 and then you'd get $140 off of the kit.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand the possibilities here.... you'd have to be insane to trade in 40 or 50 games at the measly 1 or 2 dollars they give you. but the system can easily be exploited.

show me where gamestop will give me $190 for one or two games..... it's not gonna happen

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #37 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I think there's fun to be had with either the GH:WT bundle or the RB2 bundle, provided you get perfectly working instruments. Most casual music-gamers who want to play along with some fun songs on occasion (maybe with the wife, relatives or on weekends with guests) will have a good time with the hardware and game from each.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band take different approaches at the same thing:

-single-player/multi-player: Guitar Hero takes a more cartooney, video-gamey "fun" approach and has a good single-player career. Rock Band (esp. 2) emphasizes the multiplayer band element, and is on the serious side. In RB2 I'm mostly just doing "quick-play" of songs I like to play for fun and don't feel there's enough end-of-song info, nor trying to get the best score/"stars" for each song... but Guitar Hero does this much better.

-Guitar: I think the guitar charts in both games are very good and prefer the fun nature in GH over the more "realistic" of RB. Many disagree, so YMMV. Hardware: While the RB2 strat has more comfortable frets, I like the GH:WT tap/slider (fun!) and clicky strummer.

-Drums: Rock Band (1 or 2) is the hands-down choice, and I doubt anyone would argue this. In Rock Band, overdrive is a crash at the end of selected fills when the meter is full, and this feels natural. In Guitar Hero star power is hitting yellow+blue anytime the meter is full, which feels wrong. Hardware: Rock Band 2, but I have a lot invested in a RB drumkit so I've never really seriously tried the GH:WT drums. Plus, playing 5 lanes is the proper way to play drums, and RB drums in Guitar Hero are gimped to 4 lanes... ugg!

-Vocals: dunno, I don't sing. I'm assuming both games are pretty much the same experience..?

-Setlist: Based on just the songs on the disc, I like more songs in GH:WT over Rock Band 2. With that said, the best songs in RB2 are better, but the worst songs are a lot worse. Guitar Hero seems to focus more on radio-friendly familier music, and Rock Band 2 has a little wider range, with some odd alternative and hard-core metal. DLC: Rock Band absolutely. For Guitar Hero, having World Tour+Metallica+Smash Hits discs yield an incredibly awesome setlist, but the dreaded disc swap is needed. Rock Band has many of those songs, plus hundreds more -- with greater variety... and are available separately and playable via the RB2 disc. "RB DLC FTW"

-Upcoming: Rock Band: The Beatles looks awesome (albeit stand-alone from the platform), Guitar Hero 5 is an unknown.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #38 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

that's a great story...... thanks for sharing it with us.

Would it be possible for you to post the item numbers for the drum kit and 360 brain that you bought? I may do the same for my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope View Post

My son pretty much pwns the RB/GH guitar and drums on the highest levels. Since I knew the drums carried over. I bought him a Roland set and a 360 converter brain. He can play the game or play real drums, it took him a week to really make the transition to a more real drum set (doesn't have acoustic set). Now to say "complete credit" imo is unfair. He does credit God and his parents to! He's also a student of drums as well now, via youtube and keeps up with terms and strategies on real and fake drums, pays close attention to music now etc. But I can say it carried over very well from game to real. Kid has some real motor skills on him. Now I get to learn how expensive it is to maintain and electronic set. Goal for him somewhere in the IT sector weekdays with the ability to play at bars on the weekend for fun. He's so far buying into that plan at 17.

post #39 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

let me add my .02 since I've owned and played RB1, RB2, GH2, GH3, GH:WT and GH:M -

As far as guitars go, I think the best of the 6 I've played is the GH3's Les Paul. Other than needing the neck mod after 6 months of use, it's the axe I go back to whenever I open up the closet to grab the equipment. It seems to be a consensus with my family also.... they grab it first, next is the GH:WT

I own the RB1 drums, and have also played RB2's kit and GH:WT's set. I'm not a hardcore drummer, but I prefer the wired RB1 kit over the other two. Didnt like the setup of the GH set and I felt like there was some lag in the RB2 set. Also, for cross-game compatability, the RB1 set works flawlessly with both RB's and GH:WT plus GH:M (havent played the latest GH with them, but I'm guessing it's the same deal). Ion's are the crim-de-la-crim, but I think there are some issues with them and GH:WT (unless they've been fixed).

Game play goes to RB. I just like it's interface better, along with it's charting. But there are features of GH that I also like and wish RB would incorporate into their product-
* open notes on base and guitar are cool
* guitar playing in general seems "easier" in GH - I think they're a little too forgiving on their note timing (it seems you can be a little late and still get credit for hitting notes in GH when compared to RB)
* guitar battles against various stars are fun also (playing against Zakk Wylde and then jamming to Stillborn with him after winning the battle was the ultimate guitar gaming moment for me).

So there you have it..... I guess the bottom line would be whatever you prefer. Both series have their pluses and minuses.
post #40 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The on-disc Rock Band songs are more focused on having fun as a band. There are a lot of songs on Guitar Hero that are awesome songs, but are HORRIBLE to play on drums (Hotel California, Beat It, etc.)

And there are plenty of vids on Youtube of people playing drums for the very first time by using a Rock Band chart. Hate all you want Tronn, it's the truth. I'll post some later.
post #41 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Yo Tom,

So what about the ION drum set? Is it worth the money? Does it really enhance the GH/RB experience?
post #42 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 AM

As someone else who has played all (and I mean all) of the music games (rock revolution - yuck!) with all of the different instruments, I also find RB2 to be the better game. My mind tells me that Guitar Hero is more fun when playing guitar, but I know it's just because I'm "better" at it because of the game's ****** timing window compared to Rock Band's spot on window.

In the last few weeks I got an Ion set, and it's kind of a love/hate thing right now. I love the potential I see in it. I hate that I couldn't set it up more like a real drum set and pick up where I left off on my scores with the RB2 set. It definitely has a steep learning curve. I almost decided to return it, but instead set it up like the RB1/2 sets and plan on moving one pad at a time to a more optimal spot. At the same time, I cleared all of my song scores so I can do the whole list again from easiest to hardest and learn these drums like they are the only set I've ever played. The kick pedal is horrible for me though. That will be the first modification I do to the set if I ultimately decide to keep them.
post #43 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

-Vocals: dunno, I don't sing. I'm assuming both games are pretty much the same experience..?

I found the vocals on GH to be unbearable and I wasn't really getting a clear enough visual indication why I was not hitting phrases all the way. To be fair expert vocals on RB1 were also not fun but they fixed things up quite a bit in RB2 so that you can do very well singing naturally.

I am not a hardcore drummer, but I found the ION set is about the only way I have any confidence that all my hits are registering and that alone makes it worth the cost of admission. Plus since I bought it nobody complains about being stuck on the drums anymore.
post #44 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
On a purely instrument based opinion which is better?
post #45 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Probably something like this:

Guitar - varies widely by strum bar/button preference for me RB2 Strat > Rb1 Strat > Les Paul/GHWT Strat > Explorer. I think the calibration feature on the RB2 strat is the best feature on any instrument. My hands greatly prefer the button arrangement of the Strats which outweighs my preference for the GH strum bars feel. I could do without the GH click.

Drums - ION > RB2 > GHWT > RB1

Mic - even
post #46 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

On a purely instrument based opinion which is better?

Rock Band 2 for the total kit. Some prefer the GH guitars over the RB variety. All in personal taste, I guess. I think its safe to say that the Rock Band drums are better than the GH:WT umm thing. ION drums are the best!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #47 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Rock Band 2 for the total kit. Some prefer the GH guitars over the RB variety. All in personal taste, I guess. I think its safe to say that the Rock Band drums are better than the GH:WT umm thing. ION drums are the best!

Agreed. You can always pick up a GH Les Paul guitar for like $20 - $30 if you really like it. I can't stand the thing, but that's a personal preference.
post #48 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

So what about the ION drum set? Is it worth the money? Does it really enhance the GH/RB experience?

I find the Ions to be worth every penny, and I pre-ordered them and paid the highest possible price to get them. ($299 plus tax and shipping! )

I flipped the L-bars over so that the short side connects to the drum head and the long side clamps to the frame. I feel it gives me more options for adjusting the height of the pads. I also swung the arm with the red pad in to put the snare between my legs.

I started slow just playing the pads and only hitting the green cymbal to kick in overdrive. Slowly I've added using the cymbals, which was a nice plan because I've also been slowly learning to recognize patterns that are cymbal versus tom. And I screw it up and switch as necessary.

I couldn't go back to the stock drums.
post #49 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Yo Tom,

Good lord, I've spent over $600 on my drums (drums, third cymbal, drumstick holder, Rock Pedal, practice pad, Roc-n-soc drum throne) so I can't really answer this. I certainly found it to be worth it, but I'm not exactly subjective.
post #50 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

here... for the doubter... this dude got a FREE ION Kit, and $20

Pure PS3 bought at Best Buy for $10
Amazon gave me $18 each. I was planning on ebaying them 1 by one but I just submitted 20 of them that I had hoarded.

20x10 = $200 out of pocket
18x20 = $360 amazon credit
ION = $140($280 - %50) from my amazon credit
---------------------
$220 amazon credit remains, $20 more than my initial investment (which more than covers taxes).

but yea... that's hardly a deal.

post #51 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsrule View Post

that's a great story...... thanks for sharing it with us.

Would it be possible for you to post the item numbers for the drum kit and 360 brain that you bought? I may do the same for my son.

you should watch the whole video on this ebay auction.... sounds great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ION-Drum-Rocker-...3%3A1|294%3A50

post #52 of 56 Old 06-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

you should watch the whole video on this ebay auction.... sounds great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ION-Drum-Rocker-...3%3A1|294%3A50

Now that's pretty sweet! The ultimate Ion setup for sure.

I'd also like to see a Rolland drum set configured to play RB.
post #53 of 56 Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

sooo, i got my $30 copy of GH:WT with wireless guitar.

man i hate guitar hero.... this game is pretty bad (and i'm not talking about the horrible set list).

i mainly bought for the guitar, as i prefer GH guitars over the RB guitars.... but i dont think i'll ever play GH:WT again.

post #54 of 56 Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sooo, i got my $30 copy of GH:WT with wireless guitar.

man i hate guitar hero.... this game is pretty bad (and i'm not talking about the horrible set list).

i mainly bought for the guitar, as i prefer GH guitars over the RB guitars.... but i dont think i'll ever play GH:WT again.

I'm curious as to what is it about World Tour that turned you off?

I've heard more than a few people who don't like it, and I was initially very dissapointed when playing the drum tracks on the ION Drum Rocker. But when I returned GH:WT for guitar-only, I started to like it much more.

Maybe I'm easy to please? btw, consider eBaying the game... it will make the $30 guitar even cheaper.

post #55 of 56 Old 07-02-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I'm curious as to what is it about World Tour that turned you off?

I've heard more than a few people who don't like it, and I was initially very dissapointed when playing the drum tracks on the ION Drum Rocker. But when I returned GH:WT for guitar-only, I started to like it much more.

Maybe I'm easy to please? btw, consider eBaying the game... it will make the $30 guitar even cheaper.

it's mainly the charting on all of the notes, and some of the idiot stuff they do (with the note charts) to try and make some songs more difficult... musically most of it just doesnt make any sense.... it's just more of the same nonsense from GH3.... it all just feels off.

post #56 of 56 Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it's mainly the charting on all of the notes, and some of the idiot stuff they do (with the note charts) to try and make some songs more difficult... musically most of it just doesnt make any sense.... it's just more of the same nonsense from GH3.... it all just feels off.

Fair enough, and that's what I've heard other people say too. I think I play guitar at a lower lever ("Hard" for the easiest half of songs, "Medium" for the more difficult half) and I don't think the "idiot stuff" you mentioned enters at that level.

Things I like about GH:WT games (WT, Metallica, and Smash Hits) on guitar:
-the ropey tap sections adds optional variety to play
-wah-wah on sustained notes/chords using the slider
-chord "building" (single notes turning into chords)
-lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs
-open notes on bass

I used to play IRL guitar way back when, and I forget what song I was playing on Smash Hits last night but I noticed that the barre chords felt very accurate.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to like the GH games... just wondering if I'm missing something that others can see. I guess what I'm really missing is "skill".

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page