GH:WT or RB2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I finally have room in our new house to get a music game. I already have GHIII, but wanted to expand possibly. Today Amazon has the full bundle for GH:WT for $100 off.

I'm just curious as far as the instruments go which set are the better of the two? I know both games will work but wondering about the instruments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Liked: 10
i'm happy with guitar hero world tour. i also got it at that price (about $10 more).
if you're into getting fook-tons more songs to play though it'll be rock band.
HOWEVER
you can get the best of both worlds. get the full kit from amazon. when you play world tour through or are ready for more songs, buy rock band 1 or 2 (game only) and enjoy!
that's what i've done. got rock band 1 used from gamestop for $20. gettin rock band 2 pretty soon the same way.
post #3 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i like the GH guitar, the RB drums, and the RB software is a million times better.

get RB. or wait for RB:Beatles

even if you dont like the beatles, you can pick up the other rock band discs and play them... hell you can even play GH:WT with the rock band instruments...

The Limited Edition Premium Bundle will include the game itself, a Höfner Bass, a microphone, a microphone stand, undisclosed "additional special content" and the real kicker -- a Beatles-inspired and Ludwig-branded Rock Band 2 drums, complete with a classic pearl finish and vintage replica Beatles kick drum head.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #4 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

i like the GH guitar, the RB drums, and the RB software is a million times better.

get RB. or wait for RB:Beatles

even if you dont like the beatles, you can pick up the other rock band discs and play them... hell you can even play GH:WT with the rock band instruments...

The Limited Edition Premium Bundle will include the game itself, a Höfner Bass, a microphone, a microphone stand, undisclosed "additional special content" and the real kicker -- a Beatles-inspired and Ludwig-branded Rock Band 2 drums, complete with a classic pearl finish and vintage replica Beatles kick drum head.

Yes but compare all that to a $90 bundle.
post #5 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 12:12 PM

i was originally going to go formula's route and wait for beatles RB, but the price kept me back.
then walmart sold the guitar hero world tour set for $100. i got it then. played a lot of world tour. bought guitar hero metallica (they included guitar hero aerosmith for free), played the heck out of both of those games. bought rock band 1 used and guitar hero 2 new, playing rock band 1 right now, toyed a little with guitar hero 2.
world tour instruments work with rock band 1 and 2 and im pretty sure with beatles.
now that i'm setup controller wise, when beatles rock band drops (as well as lego rock band, band hero, etc) i'll only have to buy the game.
in the end i also found that the controllers add a definite level of realism, but i could care less if its modeled after a famous kind of brand. the drum kit for beatles rock band looks like the rock band drums with a sign stuck on it saying "the beatles"
whoop-de-frickin-doo.
i'll just buy the game tnks!
post #6 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 12:13 PM

for all you, heres a pic of said beatles instruments:

worth it? choice is yours.
post #7 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 12:17 PM

here's the instruments with world tour:

i prefer these drums mainly cause the cymbals are included. there are reports that some drum kits dont function well, but mines have been flawless. the little strum-less part of the world tour guitar is a part i seldom use. mainly cause i cant see which note i'm hitting.
post #8 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 PM

also im not sure im reading formula's post correct but you can buy rock band 1 then buy rock band 2 and purchase i kinda of license and import all of rock band 1 songs into rock band 2, but you cant play any rock band 1 or 2 songs in beatles rock band and vice-versa.

they've already stated beatles rock band will be a serperate entity. i know they're also releasing pretty much every beatles album for beatles rock band so you know there goes like $200 bucks
post #9 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronn View Post

also im not sure im reading formula's post correct but you can buy rock band 1 then buy rock band 2 and purchase i kinda of license and import all of rock band 1 songs into rock band 2, but you cant play any rock band 1 or 2 songs in beatles rock band and vice-versa.

they've already stated beatles rock band will be a serperate entity. i know they're also releasing pretty much every beatles album for beatles rock band so you know there goes like $200 bucks

Yep I already did the license from RB1 after I rented it. I'm more concerned with which instruments are the best since both games will work anyway.
post #10 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Yes but compare all that to a $90 bundle.

beatles rb limited edition can be had for ~$125

still more money, but not too much more.

Quote:

i prefer these drums mainly cause the cymbals are included. there are reports that some drum kits dont function well, but mines have been flawless. the little strum-less part of the world tour guitar is a part i seldom use. mainly cause i cant see which note i'm hitting.

the cymbals are included because GH:WT has 5 note pads in game.... for RB they aren't included, but they're also not required.

seems like the drum kits for any game are possible to ship with a bad pad sensor or two, pretty easy replacement though.

do the world tour drums work with RB2? i think they work with RB1, and i know any of the RB drums work with GH:WT

slightly unrelated, but does anyone know what happens to the beatles publishing rights now that MJ is dead? i'm pretty sure he bought it all up.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #11 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ordered the GH: WT bundle from Amazon. It was too good of a deal to pass up. I might add RB2 (just the game) too, which is still cheaper than buying the RB2 bundle alone.
post #12 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

here's the thing with GHWT drums. They suck in RB because of how things are charted. the RB drums work better with both games than the GH drums do. and even then i GHWT the cymabls aren't movable which is a problem for heavy Hi-hat songs like run to the hills, Everlong, etc. I personally also hate GH's drum chart layoput it's unnatural hard to memorize and makes no sense when looking at a real drum set. Where as you can play a RB drum chart on an actual drums after only a few months wit the game(maybe sooner, not like a rpo obviously but simple songs shoud be no trouble while looking at a chart).
90 bucks for a full game kit isn't bad but ultimately I think you'll be spending more money later on trying to make the GH drums work better. the guitar is a preference thing so I won't get into it. but also hands down RB has better software and gameplay.
post #13 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

yea, i went ahead and picked up GH:WT and guitar for like 20 or 30 (refurb) because i wanted to try the guitar (love my les paul and my xplorer, but i hate the RB guitar)

theres just no way i'd spend that money on the GH:WT drums... especially when i already have the RB drums (and researching everything logical has said, which i agree on)

post #14 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So the RB drums are better but the guitar is better on GH? If so I already have a GH guitar and can possibly wait until RB has a sale.
post #15 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

So the RB drums are better but the guitar is better on GH? If so I already have a GH guitar and can possibly wait until RB has a sale.

the guitar is personal preference from what i've seen... IMO, the GH3 les paul is my favorite guitar so far.

the drums are fairly universally favoring RB... i mean, look at the huge rock band thread vs the GH:WT thread (if you can find it)

if you have some games to trade in to amazon, they'll sell you RB2 the full kit for ~$90

post #16 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Darn I tried to cancel my GH: WT order but it already processed. Looks like the decision is made.
post #17 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 01:54 PM

i heard the ps3 version of rock band 2 was having a problem with the guitar hero world tour drums, but that was last year. surely its been fixed by now.

also... the drums, guitars, mics... they're game controllers. nothing more. they spice up your game experience. i dont think developers meant for them to be an introduction to real instruments.

i mean the both games guitars have like 5 buttons, a "strum pad", and a whammy bar. how can you learn the real thing like that? you cant.
the drums for rock band are 4 pads with a "foot-kick". the world tour drums have 3 pads plus 2 "cymbals" and a "foot-kick". if you can play a real set of drums from playing any of these instruments then i'm calling stevie wonder and getting you a record deal.

stryker, your gonna get an experience either way. you cant go wrong from a gamers perspective. if anything we mentioned in this thread changes your mind either way, just ebay the set for a higher price and buy the other.
post #18 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i heard the ps3 version of rock band 2 was having a problem with the guitar hero world tour drums, but that was last year. surely its been fixed by now.

also... the drums, guitars, mics... they're game controllers. nothing more. they spice up your game experience. i dont think developers meant for them to be an introduction to real instruments.

i mean the both games guitars have like 5 buttons, a "strum pad", and a whammy bar. how can you learn the real thing like that? you cant.
the drums for rock band are 4 pads with a "foot-kick". the world tour drums have 3 pads plus 2 "cymbals" and a "foot-kick". if you can play a real set of drums from playing any of these instruments then i'm calling stevie wonder and getting you a record deal.

stryker, your gonna get an experience either way. you cant go wrong from a gamers perspective. if anything we mentioned in this thread changes your mind either way, just ebay the set for a higher price and buy the other.

dude, the drums "transfer over" extremely well... guitar, well not at all.

****, the RB drums have more pads than travis barker uses

post #19 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 02:08 PM
DVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

beatles rb limited edition can be had for ~$125

Link or PM please?

Unless of course you meant the RB2 bundle...

Dave
post #20 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry man but youtube has numerous vids of ametuers using RB charts on songs. one dude even does run to the hills and he rocks the f'n house.

the reason RB charts work so well on real drums is because they're designed to be instantly understood in a setup. Red is usually snare, yellow high hat and blue and green are cymbals/toms. Yes GHWT keeps an accurate setup but the layout is split and unnatural.
in most songs here's the layouts:
RB
Snare | Hi-Hat | small tom/ride | Floor tom/crash
GH
snare | hi hat |small tom | ride/crash | floor tom

and in most songs it's pretty easy to remember and instantly know if a blue/green note will be a tom or a cymbal. and then for heavy high hat songs RB usually switches the hi hat to the red pad/lane and then uses yellow for snare. Not only does this work better on the RB kit but as far as following the chart it makes blind note reading much easier.

also look at how tom fills are charted. In RB you move from pad to pad. In GH it becomes really tough to track that in songs over 120bpms thanks to teh cymbals being charted in between the toms.
post #21 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVM View Post

Link or PM please?

Unless of course you meant the RB2 bundle...

Dave

check the deals thread... amazon is giving 50% off of any game or accessory if you trade in $50 or more of used games.

post #22 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Rock Band does almost everything better. If you made a checklist of 100 items, it would win 97 of them.

And yes Tronn, you can learn to play real drums from Rock Band's setup. Guitar Hero, not so much.
post #23 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
after playing both. My opinions...

Drums RB2 > GHWT

I like playing the guitar better on GHWT. Seems there's better guitar response and just something I can't put my finger on with GHWT. I also like some of the riffs on GH better than RB2. GHWT guitar songs seems a smidge more interesting and challenging compared to RB2.

RB2 is fun, the drums rule esp with the triple cymbal kit.

One nice feature of GHWT is the easy setting on drums only requires timing as opposed to correct color drum and timing. My little one like that since it's a degree easier for them.

PSN/XBL scrub175
post #24 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Rock Band does almost everything better. If you made a checklist of 100 items, it would win 97 of them.

And yes Tronn, you can learn to play real drums from Rock Band's setup. Guitar Hero, not so much.

first statement is open to interpretation. i am witholding judgement based on the fact i've stated that i dont yet have rock band 2. part 1 but not 2.
as a gamer, i see them as toys. expensive ones but toys nonetheless.

the last one i dont see how. again maybe i'll buy RB2 and play it on the RB drums and see the light and become john bonham incarnate. somehow i doubt that'll happen.

let me see someone completely credit rock band 1 or 2 with showing them how to play drums. thats something i'd like to see. im from missouri...show me
post #25 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

the last one i dont see how. again maybe i'll buy RB2 and play it on the RB drums and see the light and become john bonham incarnate. somehow i doubt that'll happen.

You won't overcome a distinct lack of god-given talent nor a lack of years and years and years of honing the craft, and it won't get you past not starting when you were a youngster.

But I think I could almost keep a beat and make some noise with a really lousy garage band that's not worthy of a band name, due completely to playing Expert drums on about 40% of the Rock Band songs. (The easier 40%, of course.)

I have the Ions and three cymbals, and I can now pretty much tell whether that yellow or blue or green is a cymbal or a tom based solely on the pattern coming down the lane.

I'm not saying it would be easy to keep going without the skittles on the highway, but I could do it poorly.

Being able to beat "Living on a Prayer" on easy drums is fun, but that isn't what will get you ready to make some ugly noise. Ya gotta beat Eye of the Tiger on Expert before you start getting those delusions...
post #26 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 04:09 PM

found this from about a year ago
link http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/2008/...l-world-drums/

"
It’s been widely reported that playing Rock Band drums is eerily similar to playing real world drums, far more so than any other fake plastic rock instrument. Take it from Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopulous:

You can take a person that’s playing on the expert levels in Rock Band on the drums and put them on a real drum set, and they can play the drums. And I watched this happen with a Q&A staff of 25-30 people. Maybe 2 or 3 of those had experience of being drummers, but they’ve been playing the game for months now, and what we’ve got is 30 drummers in the Q&A department who are pounding away in the Hard and Expert settings. These people have learned the fundamentals of drums, and this isn’t abstracting fundamentals — you can put these people on a drum set and they have some basic skills now. As a payoff for playing a video game, that’s incredible! Rock Band is going to be out there training this wave of new young drummers, and that’s a really exciting aspect of the project for us. "

to me thats like claiming riding a bike automatically means you can ride a motorcycle. to keep the question open though i'll stop by my local guitar center and sam ash on the way home tonight and see what the people there think.

post #27 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

first statement is open to interpretation. i am witholding judgement based on the fact i've stated that i dont yet have rock band 2. part 1 but not 2.
as a gamer, i see them as toys. expensive ones but toys nonetheless.

let me see someone completely credit rock band 1 or 2 with showing them how to play drums. thats something i'd like to see. im from missouri...show me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j4v_1Gx04M

you cant tell me that if he memorized the rock band note charts, and played with the TV off that he's not playing the drums.

for me i'd say it goes either way.

does RB teach you how to play the drums? no
if you're dedicated to learning to play drums, can RB get you started? absolutely.

post #28 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 04:49 PM

as well as world tour drums, conga drums, empty aluminum cans of crisco, plastic 2-liter bottles of diet pepsi... list can go on.
i dont see how a games 5 note charting can translate to real drums. heck he has 5 white pads (i dont even know wtf they're called) and 4 cymbals things. now which game (GH or RB) has that many of each?

were playing a game (either one). you hit colored buttons/pads at the right moment and the track continues to play.
you're having fun? keep playing
you're not having fun? stop playing
you claim to be able to play real drums from beating on these fake ones? get a music contract
you'd rather just have friends over or online and have fun? play on

and by you i mean anyone. im not pointing anyone. im still stopping by the music stores very soon. lets see what real drummers have to say about this
post #29 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

im still stopping by the music stores very soon. lets see what real drummers have to say about this

Here is what it will be:

"graaaawwwwwr! video games will be the death of music!! rawwwwr! kids think they are playing music instead of playing real instruments. gahhhhh! [tilts nose upwards and takes a snotty tone] tomorrows musicians are being ruined."

GuitarCenter or the NAMM show aren't going to be unbiased places for that kind of research, tronn.

One thing you might want to do is try to take the extremist angle off your take on this. You keep going back to "Rock Band won't make me John Bonham" and "GHWT won't get me a recording contract." Yeah, well....no sh¡t. Bonhams don't come along too often and there are about a hundred thousand double butt-loads of awesome musicians out there without recording contracts.

But RockBand can teach you some basic rock beats on drums. And that, my friend, is enough to be called a lousy real-world drummer.
post #30 of 56 Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My son pretty much pwns the RB/GH guitar and drums on the highest levels. Since I knew the drums carried over. I bought him a Roland set and a 360 converter brain. He can play the game or play real drums, it took him a week to really make the transition to a more real drum set (doesn't have acoustic set). Now to say "complete credit" imo is unfair. He does credit God and his parents to! He's also a student of drums as well now, via youtube and keeps up with terms and strategies on real and fake drums, pays close attention to music now etc. But I can say it carried over very well from game to real. Kid has some real motor skills on him. Now I get to learn how expensive it is to maintain and electronic set. Goal for him somewhere in the IT sector weekdays with the ability to play at bars on the weekend for fun. He's so far buying into that plan at 17.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page