Hidden Gems? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
After asking on the PS3 forum about hidden gems and getting some good feedback. I thought I might ask the 360 owners as well. We all know of the Halos, Gears, and MassEffects. But what about the smaller over looked games? Have a game that you really enjoyed that may not have gotten the recognition you think it deserves? Let us know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Crackdown. Dismissed as a vehicle for the Halo 3 beta its does the "super powered open world game" far better than the games that have come after it.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #3 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
riddick owns all
post #4 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
There's tons of cheap, great games out there.

Crackdown
The Darkness
Banjo nuts and bolts
Condemned
Viking
Dark Sector

....off the top of my head, and all probably around $10.
post #5 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Sure. The biggest one is The Club - a very cool shooting game based on a scoring/time mechanic. It went nowhere and can be found for around $5 or $10 by now. Great game.

Speedball on XBLA is a good one too. Based on the Amiga classic. Fast paced "future sports" action. Very fun little game! And challenging as you work your team through the ladder.

It's not really a "hidden gem" but Test Drive Unlimited is still one of the system's best racers. I remember playing Burnout Paradise and being like, "well this is good but I wish it had this and this and this." and then I played TDU and it had all of those things. And TDU came out like a year and a half earlier.

Chronicles of Riddick just came out and flopped, but its a must play if you like SP FPS and havent played the Xbox 1 original. Its really different from most nowadays.

Banjo N&B is also really good too.

I don't think The Darkness, or Viking are worth playing at this point.
post #6 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

dark sector

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #7 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I don't think The Darkness, or Viking are worth playing at this point.

What makes you say that? The Darkness is absolutely worth playing still, especially at it's price.

Viking is a maybe, but it's currently like $5 on bogo at Blockbuster, which is a good buy.
post #8 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
+1 to Crackdown. Very addictive game. You won't want to put it down until you've leveled up all your powers - especially jumping.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #9 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife View Post

What makes you say that? The Darkness is absolutely worth playing still, especially at it's price.

Viking is a maybe, but it's currently like $5 on bogo at Blockbuster, which is a good buy.

Because The Darkness is an inferior copy of Chronicles of Riddick which is also now available on 360. Riddick has better graphics, better level design, a better story, better mechanics, and the whole game structure works far better in that desolate prison than it does in The Emptiest Manhattan Ever.

As for Viking, okay its $5, but I consider time more important than money.
post #10 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Overlord and Kameo, the Viva Pinatas...
Arcade has dozens of Gems depending on your tastes.
Catan, Carcassonne are often ignored.
Aegis Wing and Undertow.
And then there's the XNA Community Games.
Just get the demos and see what you like.
post #11 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because The Darkness is an inferior copy of Chronicles of Riddick which is also now available on 360. Riddick has better graphics, better level design, a better story, better mechanics, and the whole game structure works far better in that desolate prison than it does in The Emptiest Manhattan Ever.

i enjoyed the darkness more so than riddick.

i have viking and do not enjoy it at all though, so i'll agree on that point..... but still, the darkness is worth every bit of $10.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #12 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So the march of time makes The Darkness irrelevant? It's still a great game if you want to play The Darkness, and not Riddick, which are different experiences. I still enjoy playing games from the last 20 years, even if they've been exceeded in all categories by newer games.

Have you played Viking? You've probably spent more time just walking though the monotonous, desolate world of Far Cry 2 than it would take you to beat a very solid game.
post #13 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So the march of time makes The Darkness irrelevant?

Yes. Time has made many, many, many games irrevelant. We aren't talking about Tempest or Super Mario here.

Quote:
It's still a great game if you want to play The Darkness

If you want to play The Darkness sure its fine, just like if you want to play Ninjabread Man it's there for the taking. But if I want to play a good game, I'd say there are much better options.

Quote:
Have you played Viking?

Yes.

Would I play either of those two games today? No way. However I would play any of the games I mentioned.
post #14 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
number1laing meet opinion. opinion...number1laing.

not sure why you are arguing over someone's opinion. you like the club, i think it's a heaping pile of waste. again, opinion dude.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #15 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes. Time has made many, many, many games irrevelant. We aren't talking about Tempest or Super Mario here.

If you want to play The Darkness sure its fine, just like if you want to play Ninjabread Man it's there for the taking. But if I want to play a good game, I'd say there are much better options.

Yes.

Would I play either of those two games today? No way. However I would play any of the games I mentioned.

What's that make Riddick then, which is a retread of what, a 5 year old game? It was a great ****ing game on the Xbox, and I'm sure it still is, even though I've heard the Dark Athena part is throwaway. I would tell somebody to play both games, since both have their individual unique experiences, that can't be replicated playing a completely different ****ing game. There are still a few moments in The Darkness which I found amazing, and well worth seeking out at it's bargain bin price. Once Riddick hits $20, I'm buying that, even though I've already played 50% of it.
post #16 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

You're getting way too defensive here. The only thing I said was that I don't feel those 2 games are worth playing in the year 2009. I could go into a long spiel about why but I doubt you want to read it, and I really don't want to write it.
post #17 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 PM

^35%
part 1 makes 35% of the disc
dark athena is another 35%
the multiplayer is the remaining 30%

i wont lie, i flew through the butcher bay part. still have to go back and finish all side quests and find the hidden smoke packs.
i've stopped approx 75% of the way through dark athena due to my cod4 habit
the multiplayer isnt cod4 multiplayer, but its fun.
post #18 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 02:19 PM

i also like Sneak King. that burger king game
post #19 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're getting way too defensive here. The only thing I said was that I don't feel those 2 games are worth playing in the year 2009. I could go into a long spiel about why but I doubt you want to read it, and I really don't want to write it.

Eh, don't take the swearing for getting defensive, I really wasn't. It's hard to convey tone over the internet.

I just disagree Riddick is a substitute for anything but Riddick, let alone The Darkness being an inferior copy. The games have similarities, especially being from Starbreeze, but the little things make the experience.
post #20 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Hidden gems is a hard question to answer because if the game is really a gem, then lots of people know about it, thus not hidden. Similarly, games that may not appeal to many, may appeal to you (for example, I really, really like Too Human, and those that liked the game, love the game, but many people hate the game as well). Thus there are many games that fall in that catagory. To me the key is pricing. Many games are not worth $60, but at $10-15, they are really good. There are so many games (like Darkness noted above), that may not appeal to everyone, but for $10, almost become a no-brainer. I think that any game that gets a metacritic above 75% is a no brainer blind buy when you can get it for $10.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #21 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 03:19 PM

Iron Man is a good game. Horrible close up combat but the flying and shooting are cool
post #22 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

The Orange Box.

I mean, it's kinda hard to consider anything containing Half-Life 2 a 'hidden gem'... But, IMHO, it got lost in the shuffle, being released between Halo 3 and CoD 4.
It's $15-20 now and that's an absolute steal. You get HL2, Episode 1 & 2. Portal which is innovative, fun and hilarious. Last but not least: Team Fortress 2. IMO, the BEST online shooter made to date. (That's right, I said it.)

From the XBL arcade I'd say Heavy Weapons and Peggle.

My gallery

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
post #23 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife View Post

I'll have to agree that the darkness is a good game,in fact I think it's a great game.I bought it several months back for 4$ on amazon and I didn't expect much but I couldn't stop playing it.I would recommend it to anyone especially at that price.
post #24 of 50 Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This is a great thread...I am always on the lookout for a good game in the $10 bins.
post #25 of 50 Old 07-10-2009, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Since someone already said Crackdown and Overlord I guess I will go with Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. Sure is WWII and people are sick of that but I think its the best WWII game outside of COD2.

I liked both Chronicals of Riddick and Darkness but I do like Riddick better, I was actually suprised I liked Dark Athena as much as I did even though the original BB was my favorite xbox game.

The original Condemned was overlooked by some as was Just Cause which was suprisingly fun.

Odd though that most of the overlooked games we are listing have sequels either out or in the planning, so maybe they were not that overlooked.

Did anyone get Ace Combat? Is that a good one worth going back for? How about Battlestations Midway?
post #26 of 50 Old 07-10-2009, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

To add something different, and yeah I love Crackdown, The Simpsons Movie videogame. If you are a fan of the series and videogames in general you'll love all the in-jokes. I just had a lot of fun playing that game.
post #27 of 50 Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Crackdown is hardly a "hidden gem."

Roogoo on XBLA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roogoo#Reception

Don't turn it off because it looks like a kid's game. It's really not.
post #28 of 50 Old 07-10-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys are both right about "The Club" and "The Darkness"; they're both titles that are worth their current $10 or less price tag. Neither will work for multiplayer, due to a lack of players and a less-than-stellar implementation, but both provide an enjoyable single-player FPS experience (of slightly different types) when found at a discount price.

I happen to think "Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise" is an under appreciated title that gets maligned as a children's game, when in fact it has an addictive "always another goal to complete" mechanic that almost anyone would enjoy.
post #29 of 50 Old 07-10-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Another really good choice is Stuntman: Ignition. It's a game where you get points based on clean and flawless execution of a given set of orders (the director telling you, the Stuntman, what to do). That's not the style of game that is popular anymore (the PS2 game was a big hit), so that's why it flopped, but it's still really good and very addictive. Can't go wrong at $5 or $10.
post #30 of 50 Old 07-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Project Sylpheed

What will become - Is my Will
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page