360 Faceplace fit in Middle Atlantic rsh custom shelf? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have just finished 2 area with Mid-Atlantic racks inside custom cabinates. Heat is a significant problem. My launch console did the E74 error once they put the doors on the cabinates (and I tried the Xclamp fix, with no success). The vent is on top, but only 1 fan. I have since put 2 more fans, one underneath the Xbox and another behind the Xbox and it seems that the Xbox is not hot anymore. The problem is that I have the Dish PVR and that thing puts out massive amounts of heat (I gues anything with HDD puts out a lot of heat). I just ordered a rack mount vent from collerguys, and will see how that works. The problem is that the rack vent will not work great when the door is closed. I might just put the rackvent on the roof of the cabinet (the speakers sit in that area, and they are very heavy, so I will have the carpenter figure out the best place, so as not to loose structural integrety). The back wall of the cabinate, is an outside wall, (and it gets very hot in the summers, thus having an open vent outdoors would not work, unless it was some sort of bathroom type seeled vent, but those are very loud. I was not happy with the venting that the AV-guy did, so I am doing my own. The other option is to reverse the fans, and put tubing to the back of the cabinate, where the current fan can then vent to the space above.

The rack looks great, and with the door(s) ajar, heat is much less, but the WAF is not there with doors open.

Here is the link to the coolerguys rack solutions. The Sony fans (Scythe S-flex) are supposed to be extremely quiet, http://www.coolerguys.com/rackcool.html

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS View Post

I would be concerned about the heat factor putting a 360 in a professional type equipment rack. I'm know there's a good bit of space behind the console, but you've cut off any airflow from the front and it's really restricted from the sides and top. Not to mention is is surrounded by reflective metal. I would expect that the lifespan of that 360 is going to be shorter than usual.....it's going to be exposed to a good bit of heat even when it is not in use.

Looks cool though

Good points.

I don't use the 360 much. The kids are too small and usually want to watch animated movies.
When I DO turn it on the MA rack 4 fans (MW-4QFT-FC) turn on.
It would be useful to see temperatures at ambient (off), ambient (on), and over time.

Mike
post #33 of 45 Old 01-12-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Does that fan assembly replace the top of the rack or does it mount in the back somehow? If it is up top, I would suggest moving the 360 up closer to the fans, though that would make changing games a little inconvenient......

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #34 of 45 Old 01-12-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Does that fan assembly replace the top of the rack or does it mount in the back somehow? If it is up top, I would suggest moving the 360 up closer to the fans, though that would make changing games a little inconvenient......

Here are some pics:

Cable box (hot) 2nd to top.
XBOX360 is near top

Link

post #35 of 45 Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Still don't see where the fan assembly is. If it's the top of the rack, that's why I suggested moving the 360 as close to the fans as possible so it gets the best circulation it can get being closed up the way it is. From the looks of your pics, that tuner/receiver that is directly above the 360 is going to block most of the air circulation from the fans. I assume that tuner is on a standard rackmount shelf and the bottom of that shelf is just a few inches above the 360?

post #36 of 45 Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Still don't see where the fan assembly is.

If it's the top of the rack, that's why I suggested moving the 360 as close to the fans as possible so it gets the best circulation it can get being closed up the way it is.
SA8300 HDTV box may get even hotter and is used more often

From the looks of your pics, that tuner/receiver that is directly above the 360 is going to block most of the air circulation from the fans. I assume that tuner is on a standard rackmount shelf and the bottom of that shelf is just a few inches above the 360?

True.
I have an IR thermometer gun that I could likely use to take some measurements. Haven't gotten around to it yet.
I'd also like to put in some temperature probes with a front readout to see what is happening.

Good points.

Mike
post #37 of 45 Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

The temp probe is a good idea. I just seems that the console is going to be hot even when it's not on....just from ambient heat. Power it up and it's going to run over normal temps from the start. Take some temp readings early on and see what you've got.

I'm sure the DVR gets plenty hot, but I doubt the model has the same heat related failure rate that the 360 has. You just have to be more than careful about air flow and temp with the 360 than you do with your other components.

post #38 of 45 Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The temp probe is a good idea. I just seems that the console is going to be hot even when it's not on....just from ambient heat. Power it up and it's going to run over normal temps from the start. Take some temp readings early on and see what you've got.

I'm sure the DVR gets plenty hot, but I doubt the model has the same heat related failure rate that the 360 has. You just have to be more than careful about air flow and temp with the 360 than you do with your other components.

I have a busy week/weekend, but hope to take some measures soon.

Some options include:

- fan above 360 (would eat up rack space)
- fan behind 360
- reposition 360 (but then another "hot" component might be below it)

Thanks for the continued interest.
I'll post some #'s if I have the time to generate them...

Mike
post #39 of 45 Old 01-13-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Unrelated question, and the answer may be in your dedicated thread, but what are the dimensions of your main HT room? I'm about to close on a new house and will have a fresh, unfinished basement to play with. Your room looks similar in size to the area I'm eyeballing for my new room. Looking forward to learning from my mistakes on the first go round.....

post #40 of 45 Old 01-13-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Unrelated question, and the answer may be in your dedicated thread, but what are the dimensions of your main HT room? I'm about to close on a new house and will have a fresh, unfinished basement to play with. Your room looks similar in size to the area I'm eyeballing for my new room. Looking forward to learning from my mistakes on the first go round.....

It (and most of my updates) are in post #1 of my HT thead (in signature):

Room dimensions - 22' 4" x 17' 6" x 7'7

Mike
post #41 of 45 Old 04-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Here are a couple of methods that I've had a ton of people do when installing their Xbox 360 in a custom middle atlantic A/V rack

One thing you could do is place 1 or 2 Middle Atlantic component coolers over the vents. This is a tiny fan that is super quiet, only blowing out 8 cfm, but it draws the heat away directly at the source. You can daisy-chain up to three of these and use them for different pieces of equipment as well. Just stick one on the large vent and you really shouldn't have any problems, ever.

The second thing you could do is force active convective thermal management by mounting a Middle Atlantic UQFP ultra quiet fan panel. These fan panels also come with a digital meter on the front so you can monitor temp in your rack at all times.

If you want to come up with a cheaper method than the fan panel to force cool air around it, then put a vent panel above and below it on the face of the rack, and then put a cheaper quiet fan panel turned around mounted on the rear rack rail, in the space behind the 360. This way the cool air from the theater room will be pulled through the vents, both above and below the 360, and then exhausted through the rear of your rack. Your 360 will have it's own personal thermal chamber within the rack.
post #42 of 45 Old 04-21-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anybody who is concerned with air flow to control heat in their rack should start by reading the thermal engineering white paper from Middle Atlantic. If you do that, you will be in very good shape unless you have a component that is just poorly designed and doesn't dissipate its own heat load properly.

Doing the above might work well for cooling one component, but you might also just find yourself short circuiting the airflow in the rest of the rack and having other components overheat because of it.

http://repnet.middleatlantic.com/COM...ent%203-04.pdf
post #43 of 45 Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

Anybody who is concerned with air flow to control heat in their rack should start by reading the thermal engineering white paper from Middle Atlantic. If you do that, you will be in very good shape unless you have a component that is just poorly designed and doesn't dissipate its own heat load properly.

Doing the above might work well for cooling one component, but you might also just find yourself short circuiting the airflow in the rest of the rack and having other components overheat because of it.

http://repnet.middleatlantic.com/COM...ent%203-04.pdf

Chris & Mr. P. -

Good point(s).
I didn't appreciate the prospect of a "closed" system when I initially set up my rack.
The back of my rack is open and has the ability to be "pulled out" and needs to connect to wires from wall to rack in back.

Good thoughts.

Mike
post #44 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 AM

N/M, I Didn't realize this thread was so old.
post #45 of 45 Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Knout View Post

N/M, I Didn't realize this thread was so old.

Thanks for your link.
Just used the 360 this weekend with the kids and it can start the MA top fans, but seems to not be a big heat problem.

Mike
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page