Id's New Game Rage Runs Faster On The Xbox 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DaMan1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Xbox 360 & PC versions of the upcoming Id game Rage sport higher framerates than the PlayStation 3 version. In a 10-page reveal in its latest issue of Game magazine Edge writes that the Xbox 360 version of Rage matches the 60fps framerate of the PC version, while the Playstation 3 version runs at just "20-30fps".

Id's new game Rage runs faster on the Xbox 360
DaMan1970 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 03:25 AM
Member
 
CRAZZZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Westminster, CA.
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hahahahahahahah, that's because they lack the talent to program on anything other than pc or Xbox 360's. They should call up Naughty Dog for some advise!!!.

I'm no videophile, but I know what looks good to me.
CRAZZZY is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 03:49 AM
Member
 
hermitd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZZZY View Post

Hahahahahahahah, that's because they lack the talent to program on anything other than pc or Xbox 360's. They should call up Naughty Dog for some advise!!!.

Come now.. its a universal knowledge that programming a standard (x86 or PPC) multi-core / multi process is lot simpler than programming Cell. Standard multi-threaded programming has years of experience behind it, compare that to 3 years for Cell BE.. its Sony's fault... they want a charge a ton for dev kits so they choose something no one has any experience of...

GTA IV was the same... Xbox ran it beautifully... on PS3, the resolution and the framerates were sarificed
hermitd is offline  
post #4 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 04:51 AM
Member
 
CRAZZZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Westminster, CA.
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitd View Post

Come now.. its a universal knowledge that programming a standard (x86 or PPC) multi-core / multi process is lot simpler than programming Cell. Standard multi-threaded programming has years of experience behind it, compare that to 3 years for Cell BE.. its Sony's fault... they want a charge a ton for dev kits so they choose something no one has any experience of...

GTA IV was the same... Xbox ran it beautifully... on PS3, the resolution and the framerates were sarificed

Yes, I agree with you the cell is harder to program but your giving them an excuse instead of holding them accountable for there inability to get things right. Look at all the games that use the Unreal Engine, most look and play like crap but Epic sure has it down. It all comes down to the talent a company has at programming.

I'm no videophile, but I know what looks good to me.
CRAZZZY is offline  
post #5 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,837
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Kind of surprising to read this since previous interviews with Carmack and other Id staffers had suggested that the PS3 was the more well-suited platform for this game.

I find it ironic that Sony of all companies would release a console that is so hard to program for. They found success with the PS1 - and pretty much became a videogame powerhouse overnight - because it was relatively easy to program compared to Sega's Saturn and because dev kits were inexpensive and not hard to come by. To see them now making the same kinds of mistakes as Sega did 15 years ago is a classic case of those not learning from history's mistakes being doomed to repeat them.
TonyDP is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 AM
Member
 
hermitd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Yes, I agree with you the cell is harder to program but your giving them an excuse instead of holding them accountable for there inability to get things right. Look at all the games that use the Unreal Engine, most look and play like crap but Epic sure has it down. It all comes down to the talent a company has at programming.

well they are just being opportunist here.. the PC and Xbox microsoft has a single dev studio that can do the job for both. that compared to a totally different architecture just shows.

The Xbox + PC market is >>> PS3 and if it ever got to a balancing point (or some company develops an optimised engine for good price), game companies will start using it and the games will become better.

Quote:


I find it ironic that Sony of all companies would release a console that is so hard to program for. They found success with the PS1 - and pretty much became a videogame powerhouse overnight - because it was relatively easy to program compared to Sega's Saturn and because dev kits were inexpensive and not hard to come by. To see them now making the same kinds of mistakes as Sega did 15 years ago is a classic case of those not learning from history's mistakes being doomed to repeat them.

Well they started on this path the PS2, PS2 was not so easy to program and it took a while before companies got it right. The problem was it was the only console in the market.
With arrival of 360 and a common dev methodology, that equation has changed. Expecting companies to jump through hoops in a poor economic climate when the returns are not that substantial is just asking for too much. I know it's not Sony's fault (economic situation, using Cell is)

The only good thing about PS3 is that it allows for use of BD for the games. that just means that companies are storing multiple copies of movies and tracks to reduce lookup and they get away without using compression. With xbox 360, they are forced to use heavy compression on videos and other trancks as there is limited space
hermitd is offline  
post #7 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 7,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Previously Carmack has stated that the PS3 is a little bit slower at running RAGE, but this is the first time we've been told by just how much. However, iD Software still intends to release all three versions at 60fps and they're confident they can achieve this:

"Everything is designed as a 60 hertz game. We expect this to be 60 hertz on every supported platform," Carmack added

"The work remaining is getting it locked so there’s never a dropped frame or a tear, but we’re confident that we’re going to get that."

Carmack has also previously stated the advantages of Blu-ray for their game, where the Xbox 360 version would need to be included on two DVDs or more.

link

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
post #8 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 06:16 AM
Senior Member
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZZZY View Post

Hahahahahahahah, that's because they lack the talent to program on anything other than pc or Xbox 360's. They should call up Naughty Dog for some advise!!!.

Hello there, person who just started playing video games YESTERDAY.

When you say John Carmack has no programming talent or expertise, your opinion on programming flies out the window, never to be useful in any game discussion again, just so you know. If Carmack says the PS3 is slower, it is. Your life will become easier if you trust what he says, because he knows that of which he speaks.
LiquidSnake is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Daekwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 10,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Arent these threads always fun?

Who cares.. is the game fun to play or not? Isnt that the real question. When can we expect a demo. I thought Id was done, guess I was wrong there!

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
Daekwan is offline  
post #10 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
number1laing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Too often previews just fawn over the game and throw every problem under the rug because the developers claim "they'll be fixed", which they never are. So its good for previews to point this stuff out.

But framerate, isn't that the sort of thing you definitely can't point out with early previews?

PS3 is certainly capable of running beautiful games in full 60fps at 720p... for example look at Ratchet & Clank, still IMO one of the best looking games of this generation even though its 1.5 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitd View Post


GTA IV was the same... Xbox ran it beautifully... on PS3, the resolution and the framerates were sarificed

Come on now. GTA4 ran like garbage on every platform.
number1laing is offline  
post #11 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fjtorres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Arent these threads always fun?

Who cares.. is the game fun to play or not? Isnt that the real question.

Nothing like stoking a flame war, right?
By now developers know there's no better way to get lots of free publicity is to go talk about how their crappy platform exclusive can only be done on that platform.
(Never mind that a crappy platform exclusive is still a crappy game.)

Its getting to where you can tell the good games from the bad by what they hype: if they hype the story, the gameplay, or the game design concepts, it'll likely be good. But the moment they start talking pixel counts, frame rates, textures and lighting models, you know it'll suck. And if they start harping on how many simultaneous online gamers they'll support head for the hills; manure tidal wave!

Trash games *need* trash talk cause they've got nothing else to fall back on.

In this case, they talked up the PS3 version before (whop-dee-doo; it takes four disks on xbox and only one on PS3!) so now they have to talk up the 360 version to balance the books.

Fact is, the game will get delayed and tweaked and they'll take out features until they make sure the PS3 version runs at 60fps because *of course* the numbers is all that matters; pixel count and frame rate uber-alles.

This game was nowhere near my radar before; it is even less so now.
This kind of developer-driven flame bait is not getting any cash from me.

But anybody who likes being manuevered into shilling somebody else's game for them go right ahead...
fjtorres is offline  
post #12 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

But framerate, isn't that the sort of thing you definitely can't point out with early previews?

PS3 is certainly capable of running beautiful games in full 60fps at 720p... for example look at Ratchet & Clank, still IMO one of the best looking games of this generation even though its 1.5 years old.

Do you know what megatexturing is? It isn't used in R&C, I can tell you that for nothing. Nobody said the PS3 can't run a beautiful game at 60fps/720p. He's saying the PS3 isn't doing this with his engine because it's slower, and this is even after putting the omg-gonna-cum-cell-processor to work for it, i.e. he is not the "talentless" programmer someone mentioned.
LiquidSnake is offline  
post #13 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
chiliDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

Hello there, person who just started playing video games YESTERDAY.

When you say John Carmack has no programming talent or expertise, your opinion on programming flies out the window, never to be useful in any game discussion again, just so you know. If Carmack says the PS3 is slower, it is. Your life will become easier if you trust what he says, because he knows that of which he speaks.

effin A! The Carmack could program a hamster to do your dishes and take out the trash... in 3D... at 60fps.

chili
somebody set up us the bomb
chiliDog is offline  
post #14 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kjr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliDog View Post

effin A! The Carmack could program a hamster to do your dishes and take out the trash... in 3D... at 60fps.

I'll settle for my wife doing that...

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
kjr39 is online now  
post #15 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikeloxlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland aka Wes-Burbs, Illinois
Posts: 6,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Arent these threads always fun?

Who cares.. is the game fun to play or not? Isnt that the real question. When can we expect a demo. I thought Id was done, guess I was wrong there!

always the voice of reason...

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
mikeloxlong is offline  
post #16 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
efjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 1,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since the game hasnt been released yet and there is no claim that the ps3 version wont actually be able to achieve 60fps by release date all the anticipated flamewars this will generate will have been a complete waste of time so why get excited? If the same situation is the case when the game is released on all platforms then, by all means fanboys Ho! but till then maybe a bit of self-control is in order.

And if the game is crap will any of this matter anyway?
efjay is offline  
post #17 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^^ Are you new to the internet or something?
mproper is offline  
post #18 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Amazing that threads like this last this long.

Anyhow, the issue is that PC-centric developers (like id) have had the hardest time with PS3 development. They work and think differently from console-centric devs.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #19 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 AM
 
assasyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring Texas
Posts: 2,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong View Post

always the voice of reason...

He's the great unifier.
assasyn is offline  
post #20 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikeloxlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland aka Wes-Burbs, Illinois
Posts: 6,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasyn View Post

He's the great unifier.

leader of the people

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
mikeloxlong is offline  
post #21 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
maximuslcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Even though I have both consoles...I cant wait to try this out on my PS3

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
maximuslcd is offline  
post #22 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Daekwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 10,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong View Post

leader of the people

the nutbuster

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
Daekwan is offline  
post #23 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
eatenbacktolife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Isn't this game scheduled to ship late 2010? I'm sure they'll reach parity by then. Can't wait either, game looks awesome. I'm hyped for this and Borderlands.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

This game was nowhere near my radar before; it is even less so now.
This kind of developer-driven flame bait is not getting any cash from me.

But anybody who likes being manuevered into shilling somebody else's game for them go right ahead...

It was a 10 page magazine article...and he was probably asked about the PS3 version. It's not like they issued a press release...
eatenbacktolife is offline  
post #24 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Member
 
Vengar Ragnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both consoles have awesome looking games. Ok so Rage might run a little better on the 360 and games like Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Ratchet & Clank, Metal Gear 4 (a 50gb game) "might not" even be possible on the 360. But the 360 has great games like Gears of War 2, etc which may not have turned out so good if the console wasn't so easy for dev's to work with.

Either way they both rule what's the issue. Also, Carmack is a genius and I am confident they will get all versions running up to par. His group doesn't have experience yet dev'ing for the PS3 architecture so it may take him a little longer to achieve what a Guerilla Studios, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Incognito, etc has already achieved on the PS3.
Vengar Ragnev is offline  
post #25 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Member
 
CRAZZZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Westminster, CA.
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

Hello there, person who just started playing video games YESTERDAY.

When you say John Carmack has no programming talent or expertise, your opinion on programming flies out the window, never to be useful in any game discussion again, just so you know. If Carmack says the PS3 is slower, it is. Your life will become easier if you trust what he says, because he knows that of which he speaks.

Hahahaha, i said they lack the talent to program on anything "other" than a pc or Xbox. So if Carmack says my Ps3 can play my Xbox 360 games, I should just believe him beacause he is the "GREAT CARMACK"!!!!.

I'm no videophile, but I know what looks good to me.
CRAZZZY is offline  
post #26 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 7,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZZZY View Post

Hahahaha, i said they lack the talent to program on anything "other" than a pc or Xbox. So if Carmack says my Ps3 can play my Xbox 360 games, I should just believe him beacause he is the "GREAT CARMACK"!!!!.

Bingo!

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
post #27 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Member
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZZZY View Post

Hahahaha, i said they lack the talent to program on anything "other" than a pc or Xbox. So if Carmack says my Ps3 can play my Xbox 360 games, I should just believe him beacause he is the "GREAT CARMACK"!!!!.

So you don't know what megatexturing is either? Sure puts your opinion in context. The thing is here, when it comes to his opinion vs. yours (or Naughty Dog, Insomniac, or anybody else), which between them has managed to move entire APIs software development in their favour? Let alone influenced hardware development. I'll take his opinion over yours any day of the week, so will Sony with their next iteration, if they hope to have one that competes well anyway.
LiquidSnake is offline  
post #28 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
257Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Too often previews just fawn over the game and throw every problem under the rug because the developers claim "they'll be fixed", which they never are. So its good for previews to point this stuff out.

But framerate, isn't that the sort of thing you definitely can't point out with early previews?

PS3 is certainly capable of running beautiful games in full 60fps at 720p... for example look at Ratchet & Clank, still IMO one of the best looking games of this generation even though its 1.5 years old.



Come on now. GTA4 ran like garbage on every platform.

Really? Maybe I didn't get far enough into the game but its look like a last gen title to me Very colorful, but not much in the way of detail IMO.
257Tony is offline  
post #29 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Member
 
CRAZZZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Westminster, CA.
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
MegaTexturing?, new villan in the next Transformer movie!!!.

I'm no videophile, but I know what looks good to me.
CRAZZZY is offline  
post #30 of 38 Old 07-31-2009, 02:55 PM
 
tronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^lol

fact is the game isnt finished. carmack was reporting on it as it stands today. no way carmack (or sony for that matter) would bring this out at this point. they should be equal by the time its ready for shipment.








but you know how the ps3 version always sucks. ZING!
tronn is offline  
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off