Looking for a 52" + HDTV for lots of 360 play - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 09-02-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 202
EDIT-I put the links in as just text, when I use the url tags I'm getting some kind of weird linksynergy thing appended to the url.

It's only 50" but it is well under your budget ($1099)

Code:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4445460&sku=P333-5064
Here is a 54" in the same series for $1399:

Code:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4685688&Sku=P333-5400
Mind you, that's with a 30 second price check. I'm sure you could haggle with some retail stores to get a better price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 09-02-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
your links dont work for me C

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #33 of 44 Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Edited it to text in my previous post.

I checked on the 65" model as well and it can be had for about $1800. I have to say those prices are amazing and it's good to know that when my SXRD inevitably kicks the bucket I can get a new TV for a reasonable price!
post #34 of 44 Old 09-02-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

i'd buy a panny before i bought a kuro.... theres not enough difference to warrant the cost.

Agreed on any normal day, but with the current(recent) price drop to get rid of inventory, the 'ELITE' Kuro's have been priced almost the same or at times cheaper than street prices of the Panasonics (both 50" and 60", and the non elites have been even cheaper). Most people willing to spend the kind of money to get a Viera plasma (we are talking along the lines of the V1/Z1 versions, not the stuff that you find at Walmart/costco) will be shocked with the street prices of Elites. (I would never buy a Kuro over a Panny at MSRP). The Elites are just better TV's, from blacks/contrast to gamma correction, to energy efficiency, to color rendition. Even if there was a 5-10% price difference, the Elites just offer way too much, and the panals are better, especially the 9G's. Its kind of like saying I would never buy a Mercedes over a Cadilac because the cost does not justify it, but if the Mercedes was almost the same price (or cheaper), most would jump at the opportunity. My problem is that i refuse to buy $10 map packs for CoD, because I think itis a 'bad' deal, but spend 4K on a plasma, because it is a good 'deal' (and that link for the LG tv for 1K was definately a smoking good deal, I would have bought a couple to stick outside and in the casita just because it was such a great dealthough I missed the lower price, its still pretty good though at the current price....hummmmm).

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #35 of 44 Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

sorry if this is off topic but I need help.

are the Samsung LED's TV's any good for gaming??? I see that LG has some LED also.

looking at them at Best Buy the Black levels look very bad.

the Sony's look much nicer, better colors etc.

Not a big "film" buff, mainly for PS3 and 360 gaming.
post #36 of 44 Old 09-02-2009, 04:59 PM

Liked: 10
If I go to a retailer store I don't really go to see how the picture looks on a tv set. I go to look at the style of the tv in person. Retailers bump up the contrast, brightness, colors, picture, etc. and basically distort the natural images. I suggest looking up review sites that try to get the best picture out of the tv set in a home environment. CNET is a good site for hdtv reviews. Don't give any credence to how the picture of a tv looks in a store.
post #37 of 44 Old 09-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwind View Post

panasonic plasma > every other tv made

Well as a proud owner of the pioneer 5020. I have to say you are right. Pioneer will no longer be producing plasma TV's or Monitors. They also sold their rights along with all their engineers to panasonic if I remember correctly. So technically you are right. In all honesty pick whatever seems the best to you. Everyone will have their own favorite. Mine is pioneer. You are already leaning toward plasma so I would say trust your gut and go with it. Good luck and happy hunting.
post #38 of 44 Old 09-03-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all who made suggestions in this thread. AVS forum is always a helpful and enlightening place!

I ended up scooping up a 73" 1080p DLP for around $1,430 (no tax, including 99 shipping).

I really wanted a 58" plasma at first, but when I went into Best Buy and saw them I realized I needed a bigger TV for my tastes. That's when I saw a deal for DLP's and realized how much more screen you get for less money. I thoroughly researched them before I made the plunge. Now that Rainbow Effect is minimal at worst, and the bulbs are $99 from Mitsubishi, the most painful aspects of DLP are at bay.

The DLP will also consume roughly half of the energy it takes to run a 60" plasma. Also, since I game A LOT I was really worried about image retention and burn in. That does not exist in DLP, it exists in every other display type however. Playing Gears of War 2 for 8 hours in a day, multiple days in a week, I didn't really want to see the weapon HUD outline while watching Discovery Channel an hour later

So, you're saying there's a chance?
post #39 of 44 Old 09-04-2009, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckrak3r View Post

I ended up scooping up a 73" 1080p DLP for around $1,430 (no tax, including 99 shipping).

Congrats on your purchase, I think you will be very happy.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #40 of 44 Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Wow 73", that's a pretty good price-per-inch for a 1080p set!

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #41 of 44 Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

sorry if this is off topic but I need help.

are the Samsung LED's TV's any good for gaming??? I see that LG has some LED also.

looking at them at Best Buy the Black levels look very bad.

the Sony's look much nicer, better colors etc.

Not a big "film" buff, mainly for PS3 and 360 gaming.

Save your money and get either the conventional backlit models or if you want LED illumination go with LGs backlit models over Samsungs Edgelit.

Samsungs current "LED" models suffer from uniformity issues, although to be fair it varies from unit to unit; some less so than others.

Best Regards
KvE

PS Personally I'm not a big fan of color quality on LGs they seem to be hard coded to be more 'punchy' at the expense of accuracy.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #42 of 44 Old 09-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Save your money and get either the conventional backlit models or if you want LED illumination go with LGs backlit models over Samsungs Edgelit.

Samsungs current "LED" models suffer from uniformity issues, although to be fair it varies from unit to unit; some less so than others.

Best Regards
KvE

PS Personally I'm not a big fan of color quality on LGs they seem to be hard coded to be more 'punchy' at the expense of accuracy.

I already knew all of this, Samsung does have new LED;s out that are not edge lit.

But LG's are just great..

And LED backlight "will" give you better contrast and black levels right??

Not to mention more vibrant colors?

I currently have a Dell 1737 Studio Laptop with RGB LED backlighting and it is simply amazing watching bluray playing Games on it.

I mean its as good as Plasma in respects to deep ink blacks, bright colors and a smooth range of colors.
post #43 of 44 Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckrak3r View Post

Thanks to all who made suggestions in this thread. AVS forum is always a helpful and enlightening place!

I really wanted a 58" plasma at first, but when I went into Best Buy and saw them I realized I needed a bigger TV for my tastes. That's when I saw a deal for DLP's and realized how much more screen you get for less money. I thoroughly researched them before I made the plunge. Now that Rainbow Effect is minimal at worst, and the bulbs are $99 from Mitsubishi, the most painful aspects of DLP are at bay.

The DLP will also consume roughly half of the energy it takes to run a 60" plasma. Also, since I game A LOT I was really worried about image retention and burn in. That does not exist in DLP, it exists in every other display type however. Playing Gears of War 2 for 8 hours in a day, multiple days in a week, I didn't really want to see the weapon HUD outline while watching Discovery Channel an hour later

congrats on the new tv.

dlp are the best price/size ratio.

BUT I HIGHLY recommend that you get an ext warranty. you can get a mack 3 year addon with lamp coverage for $228 for a dlp set under $1450. that at least would give you 4 years total. rainbows are lesser and lamps are cheaper too but DLP still has the most horrendous issues with service/repair needs. i have a mits 62" dlp that went out after 3 years due to mits using such cheap capacitors and their sets are so poorly engineered.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #44 of 44 Old 09-06-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

I already knew all of this, Samsung does have new LED;s out that are not edge lit.

But LG's are just great..

And LED backlight "will" give you better contrast and black levels right??

Not to mention more vibrant colors?

Localized dimming LED's will give you better contrast and and black levels

Edge-lit LED's...not so much.

These so called 'LED TV's are actually LCD panels with that use LED backlighting instead of CCFL. Localized dimming LED's will yield better contrast levels, but there isn't a significant difference in PQ between an edge -lit LED LCD vs a CCFL LCD. In actuality, the edge lit TV's can be detrimental to PQ in most viewing situations, as LEDS have very poor off-axis viewing, and screen uniformity.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page