Recording Xbox 360 Game Chat - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I record gameplay video for walkthroughs and I need to find a solution to record my in-game audio.

The problem is that any game chat is routed directly through the controller to the Xbox and doesn't go through the audio outs to the TV.

My "solution" is I bought a Turtle Beach X1 headset. It has a 3/32 output cable to the Xbox 360 controller. So I put a 3/32 Y-splitter there. On one side is the standard cable going to the Xbox.

On the other side is a 3/32 to 1/8 stereo adapter to a 1/8 Audio Stereo cable that goes to the computer.

It's not perfect because I have to record the audio separately from the video and everyone's chat that goes through the TV. The other problem, which is a MAJOR deal breaking problem, is that I am getting a constant feedback sound that makes the whole things worthless.

If I put the 3/32 adapter to 1/8 directly in the slot on the X1 and directly to the PC I get the feedback also.

The X1 does have a 1/8 cable already provided but it is dead if they 360 cable is plugged in and I need the 360 cable to chat.

Help is GREATLY appreciated!

swaggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-31-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you wanting to record your own voice in the chat, or just everyone else? If just other players, you can choose to have incoming chat go to the audio outs of the xbox and record it with the video capture. It's in the chat options of the blade system.

Seems like you could find a way to patch a 2nd microphone into your video capture if you wanted to record your own voice as well.

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #3 of 24 Old 08-31-2009, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS View Post

Are you wanting to record your own voice in the chat, or just everyone else? If just other players, you can choose to have incoming chat go to the audio outs of the xbox and record it with the video capture. It's in the chat options of the blade system.

Seems like you could find a way to patch a 2nd microphone into your video capture if you wanted to record your own voice as well.

I want to be able to record my own voice. I would obviously like a 1 mic solution if possible.
post #4 of 24 Old 08-31-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I think you want something like this. Insert between your mic and the controller, with the output to your recording device (digital recorder or computer):

http://goshopping.thestar.com/shop/p...ctId_5233.html

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #5 of 24 Old 08-31-2009, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracat View Post

I think you want something like this. Insert between your mic and the controller, with the output to your recording device (digital recorder or computer):

Interested in that but it doesn't directly show the connections and the only place I can find it seems to be in Canada.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
f'ing Canadians!

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #7 of 24 Old 08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Google helps -

try 'record from phone headset jack'....gives you multiple options

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #8 of 24 Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
What's your definition of feedback? I can't think of why you'd get true feedback in a setup like this.

Are you referring to more of a bassy hum throughout the recording? If so, it's probably a ground loop and fairly common in the situation you are describing. You can get devices for fairly cheap that you simply connect along your recording cable to break that loop.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #9 of 24 Old 09-01-2009, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

What's your definition of feedback? I can't think of why you'd get true feedback in a setup like this.

Are you referring to more of a bassy hum throughout the recording? If so, it's probably a ground loop and fairly common in the situation you are describing. You can get devices for fairly cheap that you simply connect along your recording cable to break that loop.

Yes. I would say it is this. If I am in room alone, then I hear it. If I am in party chat then the other people hear it.

Where would I get this? How much would it cost? And where would I place in the set-up?

Thanks!
post #10 of 24 Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062214

Found one. Will try it out and see if it works.
post #11 of 24 Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any of the quality made walkthroughs just record the video and then do the voice work post production for better audio quality. Just sayin...
post #12 of 24 Old 09-08-2009, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRic View Post

Any of the quality made walkthroughs just record the video and then do the voice work post production for better audio quality. Just sayin...

What I am working on is a Video Podcast with me and a couple other people so that won't work.

I need to be able to get everyone's audio as we play and talk about games.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggers View Post

What I am working on is a Video Podcast with me and a couple other people so that won't work.

I need to be able to get everyone's audio as we play and talk about games.

Then I got nothing. lol

Good luck to you though.
post #14 of 24 Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 PM

Bro i know im a little late u can just get a camera and import the shot of your commentary and overlay the two clips together that way u have audio from one mic
post #15 of 24 Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
wow. way to resurrect a dead thread.

the cheapest, easiest way is to have the voice output play through both headset and speakers. reduce game volume to 1 so that people with weak mics can be heard. don't talk during cutscenes because you won't hear the cutscene well when someone is speaking because of the lowered game volume. this will record everyone's chat except for the person recording since the recorder can only record whatever noise comes out your Xbox. for the person recording, his chat audio comes out everyone else's Xbox except for the person recording. the person recording should be playing with a headset that has game and chat audio so that the room is quiet. no having the audio come out the AVR or TV.

to include the person recording the video, you can have a separate mic hooked up to a PC and record regular audio. then you use a video editor and you have the audio and video tracks from the recorded gameplay. then you add the separate audio recording as another audio track. in fact, the person recording the video should have the best sound quality of chat audio because he has full control over his own recording levels and quality of mic.

you can have a separate camera like ukcat says but unless it's a high quality camera with a positional mic, the audio will be terrible. get a real mic and a mic stand.
post #16 of 24 Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 PM

First of thanks for replying i didnt think anyone would but my main problem is that i spent all day looking for an adapter so they gave me two 3.55mm adapters and a y split adapter and a regular stereo cable that hooks up to the other side of the y adapter. For example.. I have an xbox and my goal is to record my voice and the other peoples voices and of course my gameplay but im working on at the moment audio when i figure that out then ill figure out how to record my gameplay but i have my controller i was going to first hook up one adapter then the ysplitter on 1/2 sides of that splitter i would hook in my other adapter followed by my mic then on the other side i would hook in that cable that would hook up to the inaudio slot in my laptop from there hopefully it would record both. However, the adapters that were sold to me today didnt fit my controller. Please i want to know if its possible to do it that way or do i need to do it another way. Help Is Greatly Appreciated.
post #17 of 24 Old 03-09-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I already said the easiest way.

when you have a bunch of chains of cables and adapters/connectors, there's too many variables to contend with leading to problems like volume, audio feedback, etc. any linear video editor on the PC will allow you to have multiple audio tracks simultaneously. in this case, it's easy. you have the game audio with your friends' chat as one audio source. and then you have your own audio as a separate track.

hopefully you find a better way. if you do, let me know. could always use any helpful tips.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 01:55 PM

ok so it can record 2 audio threads and my gameplay all at once on the video recorder
post #19 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

the video recorder will record everything except your own voice. because the recorder can only receive the output of your Xbox. your voice doesn't come out your Xbox. it comes out the Xbox of your friends.
post #20 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM

and same with the gameplay ok sweet one more question and then ill stop bothering you. after i have the easiest way of recording audio and video and i have it hooked up i just press capture and it will start recording everything i want?
Im only asking is because it doesnt make sense to me i cant see how it works
post #21 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

first thing, if you're going to include your voice in the audio, you'll need a linear editor. most of the linear editors allow multiple audio and video tracks.

the recording aspect is just like a VCR. you hit the record button and it starts recording. then you start playing your game. whatever is being sent out of the Xbox will go to the inputs of your capture device. the video you record will contain both 1 video track and 1 audio track. the separate audio you recorded for your own commentary will be a WAV file that you created via Sound Recorder or any other audio recorder of your choosing.

when you put the recorded video on your editing timeline of your editor, you'll see video track 1 from your recorded video as well as audio track 1 from the video. you'll add that recording of your voice as audio track 2. then you trim your video as needed in the editor. then you publish your video. you'll want to make it h.264 MP4 which is Youtube's preferred format. If you make it another format, you will be at the mercy of Youtube's transcoder to make your video fit their standards. however, no matter what video you create, Youtube will transcode it anyway. But it'll be a faster transcode process and will most likely fit your specifications rather than theirs.
post #22 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 PM

yeah knowing what u have told me i would just do that but i would import my commentary from an HD camera which would hold my audio thanks for the help hopefully i will figure my problem out soon to record their audio soon and i was told that the usb connection between the pc and the xbox and that would successfully record gameplay so im hoping i could get it all together soon
post #23 of 24 Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

if you use a camera, it's the same steps. the only difference is you can have picture-in-picture. 2 video tracks. 2 audio tracks.
post #24 of 24 Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM

thak u im going to try and find two adapters, 1 y splitter, and that wire that connects my controller to the computer again but this time i have to look for a 2.55mm adapter 3.55 wont fit in the controller i appreciate the help if i have any more questions i will post soon thanks again.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page