Borderlands - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 876 Old 10-20-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Game is good but not great, feels like Fallout 3 with cell shaded graphics to me (and the graphics are not all that impressive). Another game that does not feel (at least so far) like it deserves the mostly high marks it has been receiving.
Very repetitive so far!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 876 Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
change of plans, i'm gonna go buy this on the way home, so i'll be up for coop tonight.

add GT:a few avs nerds

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #93 of 876 Old 10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Hello gentleman. Add me to your lists as I just picked this title up. Probably be on after 8pm est.

post #94 of 876 Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 PM

Liked: 10
Add me GT: rwings01

Edit: How do you make your gametags show at the bottom of your replies? Do you put it under signature?

thanks

rwings

XBOX360 GT: RuthLessAgressN

PS3 GT: rwings01
post #95 of 876 Old 10-20-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

played for a few minutes, to level 7.... game is simple, but it's fun and looks pretty nice, i think it'll keep me occupied for a little while, i'll be back on after dinner if anyone under level 10 wants to play.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #96 of 876 Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

played for a few minutes, to level 7.... game is simple, but it's fun and looks pretty nice, i think it'll keep me occupied for a little while, i'll be back on after dinner if anyone under level 10 wants to play.

I'm at the same spot...so far I have to say pretty disappointed. Coming off of Uncharted 2 this just feels like an old school XBox title to me.

post #97 of 876 Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwings01 View Post

Add me GT: rwings01

Edit: How do you make your gametags show at the bottom of your replies? Do you put it under signature?

thanks

rwings

Yup add it to your signature. Just add the html link!

post #98 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
I didn't buy it myself but my friend did pick it up today and let me play it for a while. I probably put in about 2hrs before I quit. Got up to lvl 7, iirc. I can't say it was very repetitive just yet. I was doing several missions going about doing this and that. The leveling system and finding random weapons/equipment along the way adds to the addicitiveness of the game. I liked it so far!

Played as a soldier class (my friend was playing as that sniper guy) and I knew this would be the class for me. Gotta love the turret ability. I've found some seriously hard hitting weapons and tear up all sorts of things with them. Haha! Got to the first sorta boss guy and tried out this sniper rifle that my friend (playing as a sniper) didn't even find. He got a beating from this boss and it took him down to less than 10% (including completely wiping out his shields) in one shot from this rifle I found. Lolz!!! Second shot put him down for the count.

Formula sent me an invite for co-op play just as I was wrapping up but from how this plays I bet it would be massive amounts of fun with other friends, especially if they have different tactics. Heck, I haven't even got a chance to drive the vehicles yet.

I'll probably pick this up tomorrow or this weekend.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #99 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Game is good but not great, feels like Fallout 3 with cell shaded graphics to me (and the graphics are not all that impressive). Another game that does not feel (at least so far) like it deserves the mostly high marks it has been receiving.
Very repetitive so far!

Jason

I agree with some of this. The thing is once you add 1-3 more players the game changes. I spent the better part of last night on a with three others while in a party with those guys and with two others running just behind us in the quest. Someone was talking every moment of the game and we were just having a great time.

Time was flying and before I knew it I was lvl 14 and it was 11:15... (I had to be awake for work at 5am)

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #100 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 AM

Had a great time playing this last night. Its not deep by any means (at least not yet), but I like the missions and diabloesque loot system. I got up to a level 7 Hunter, but started over again w/ a soldier (I've never been that good w/ sniping).

Played w/ another friend - we had a good time w/ it. Glad I picked it up !!
post #101 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

My gf and I played all day yesterday, got pretty far and ran into a couple bosses that gave us some trouble cause we weren't leveled up enough. This game you have to play with someone cause it is 100 times more fun, wish we had 4 people playing instead of just the 2 of us. Good times!

Gamertag: Ikazu
post #102 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Yup add it to your signature. Just add the html link!

Still can't get it to work , any help would be appreciated.

rwings

Edit: LMAO, just noticed it's there.

XBOX360 GT: RuthLessAgressN

PS3 GT: rwings01
post #103 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 AM

Just picked this up. Add me if you want someone to play with!!

PSN: moosemeister
XBOXlive: beilzebub
post #104 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 AM

I can't lie, I traded in a few games and picked up two copies. I played with my cousin for probably 3 hours and managed to become a level 12 Beserker while he played as the soldier. Super awesome as far as co-op is concerned. I like how the money and ammo is dispursed among the group if the members are close enough. I hate the flying things though...

Only used one vehicle and can't wait to flesh out that part of the game later.

GT Chuck81
post #105 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
I think I'll be picking this up this afternoon....as long as there is still a copy left.

I'd like to hear more about the co-op and how that all works. I saw FormulaNerd online playing it but I didn't get a chance to play with. Looks like it is a drop in style so thats good but I wonder about level matching and completing missions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesslinger View Post

I hate the flying things though...

Lolz! Before I got a chance to play, I watched my friend play his character for a while. He got attacked by this swarm of flying things and he was all like, "Oh, f**k! I hate those things." I laughed real good and replied, "Sweet! This game comes with a new breed of Cliffracers."

Morrowind fans know what I am talking about.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #106 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 AM

The coop is really well done. You can search for parties that have a similiar level. Exp, ammo, and $$$ is shared as long as the group is close together. Otherwise, business as usual killing animals/bandits and taking their loot; just like real life. I shot a deer and it crapped $50.00 and extra shotgun shells... WOOT.

GT Chuck81
post #107 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think you share ammo (doing splt screen we don't) but money yes. Exp seems to not be split evenly either since I am leveling up faster than my gf is, I think because I get more headshots so I get a bonus.

post #108 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Can someone tell me how the local co-op is layed out? Side-by-side or top-and-bottom? On a 60" TV, would we still be able to see everything that is going on clearly?

My roommate does not play video games except for Williams Pinball and the occasional Yahtzee Family Game, but maybe I could convince him to play this with me. He gets easily frustrated with the controls in three-dimensional games, but I think once he learned how to properly move with the left stick and control the camera with the right, he'd enjoy them. He just needs to stick with it.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #109 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Side-by-side, you can see everything fine except dialog/mission boxes and your inventory, they don't shrink down to compensate for the split so you have to move it around to read it all. Annoying but you get used to it after a while, oh and I play on a 57" so similar size to you.

post #110 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

I have to say, this game is a lot of fun. As many have pointed out the positives already, let me bring up some things I don't like.

* Once you get far enough away from an area, the enemies you killed in that area re-spawn. It's not too much of an issue, but it does get a little annoying. My friends and I last night ended up leaving the main map/section of the game and traveling to this other section to do quests maybe 5-6 times. Each time you finish a quest you return back to the main map/section of the game and collect your reward(s). The annoying part for me, is that after 2-3 times traversing the same area, you get to learn how many enemies spawn and where they will be coming from. I wish this would have been more random. Perhaps no enemies spawn sometimes, or a lot more other times. And even if they changed up the enmies that do spawn it would make it better. Ehh... it's a grinding game though right? This is to be expected and wanted by a lot of people?

* Difficulty. There have been about 2 points in the game where things got way too hard for our level characters. We would be level 12 and taking on level 15 enemies (which means it takes about 30 seconds to 1 minutes for 2-3 people to take down one normal wastelander (is that a Fallout 3 term?) soldier. BOSS' were nearly impossible at times. We (3 total people) had to do a quest:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
where you need to take out this guy and his entourage right by the main starting point in the game. This is the quest where after you finish, you get the vehicle. Anyways, we could not kill the guy we were supposed to. He had a shield and one hit from his weapon would take down our shields and put at health at about 1/2. Even if we did manage to get his shield lowered slightly (maybe 25%) and then we died, once we re-spawned and returned his shield would be fully recharged.

We all ended up quitting and a few hours later I tried it again with another friend (after we did a quest or two before it to level up higher. We did finish it... but it was still a PITA. There was another mission that original started as a level 13 mission (we were all level 13's), but by the end of it the difficulty changed to level 17. Maybe that's because a level 8 player joined our game? Or maybe the mission itself just got harder? But it was nearly impossible to kill the enmies and the BOSS at the end. After 2 hours we finally killed the BOSS but had to back track and fight all the same re-spawning, incredibly difficult enemies all over again. To get around that, I phasewalked as quickly as possible through the main areas and then sprinted to the exit

That mission was the easiest of the 2 others we had available. Luckily, one of my friends found a list of missions back at the main starting area (maybe 8 of them), and most of those are rated at our current level. So we've started playing those more and we're keeping the main quests until we no longer have any lower level quests to complete.

My point in stating all that, is that I don't feel like the pacing it right with this game at times. Most of the time it's crazy fun... but then at some random point in a mission, it seems like the enemies get 10X harder then before and it takes us all 2-3 deaths to get past 3-4 normal wasteland enemies. Perhaps it's our fault for not finding more side quests to level up our characters before tackling the main quests... but it's definitely frustrating to hit a wall where some enemies 10X harder to kill (and it appears to happen out of nowhere).

* I wish when a gun is picked up everyone around you gets it. I understand why it's not this way, but some times it's a little annoying. I've only played this with good friends of mine, but you can't help but sometimes feel like people are a little greedy with picking up a new weapon. I find myself fist looking to see if it's a weapon I even play with (I prefer assault rifles right now). If it is an assault rifle I spend a bit of time looking over the stats and trying to compare that with my current favorite gun.

But with the two friends I play with, they just seem to pick it up no matter what. I know they're worth money for selling... but still. I know it's a problem with the way my friends play the game, and not the game itself. But I feel like since experience and money is shared, why can't the guns be shared as well? This way no one ever feels like other players are being greedy. I can't even imagine playing this game with random people via XBOX LIVE match making. I doubt I'd even get a new gun .

XBL/PSN Name: Sheekamoo
post #111 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea I know exactly what areas you are talking about, we got caught the same way, doing fine and all of the sudden getting killed quick and running out of ammo then money trying to kill the bosses. Now we run around and level up a bit before tackling a mission, if the enemies start showing up above our level we start going back through areas (once they re-spawn) to level up some more. Works alright and we find good stuff/ make money selling what we find. I have some awesome shields and super crazy guns now (like kill equal level guys in one shot and nearly instant health regeneration). Man I post way to much in this thread but that's prob cause I wish I was playing right now...

post #112 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 94
How does respawning work in co-op multiplayer?
post #113 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

check points you re-spawn at if no one saves you (or you don't save yourself). The you just gotta run back to join everyone and hope the re-spawned enemies don't get in your way.

post #114 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 12:24 PM

this game is sick. im cracked out on it already. i took yesterday off for this game alone. played from 8:00 AM (when target opened) until nearly 2:45 AM. thats just not right...

i'll do it all over again after work though!

Gamertag: esaesid
PSN: fistfulofsteel
Xfire: thediseas3
post #115 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_e_emarpea View Post

this game is sick. im cracked out on it already. i took yesterday off for this game alone. played from 8:00 AM (when target opened) until nearly 2:45 AM. thats just not right...

i'll do it all over again after work though!

Wow. That makes me believe Borderlands is totally awesome and makes me want to have nothing to do with it at the same time. Games that addictive have ruined me before. And with Forza 3 and Dragon Age I'm already half expecting to be unemployed by Christmas

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #116 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 PM

im gonna try and trade in some games to get this, ill head out in an hour or two, but check this. i might not even be able to get it today.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/21/bo...rbox-responds/
post #117 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 PM

LOL at loot whores. I like shotties and pistols, so there is not much competition when I played with some random people last night.

I do like how my sniper rifle tears humans in half though, very stylish with the blood spurting like a fountain and the legs are still walking for a few steps.

GT Chuck81
post #118 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

if anyone wants the viral achievement for playing with someone that played with a developer, send me an invite

to touch on a few other things.

ammo is not shared... when you have time, you should fill up the ammo you DON'T USE so you're not picking up ammo that your buddies could be using.

the enemies and such are leveled to the party leader... if he's level 1, and you're level 20, you'll get no XP, but the enemies will be cake for you.... if you're the host at level 20, your level 1 buddy will be level 10 in around 20 minutes or so.

game is very addicting, i was up until 5am and called in sick to work... lmao.

the trespass ability for the hunter is amazing... you can completely bypass enemy shields and just chip at their life... couple that with a great sniper rifle and you can one shot kill a majority of the stuff you run into, even at your level.

if you're down, one of 3 things can/will happen.... a teammate can revive you (you can shoot the entire time), you can kill someone and revive yourself with a "second wind" or you can hold X to respawn at a New-U checkpoint (which costs a % of your bankroll).... also, if you bleed out, its the same as holding X to respawn.

post #119 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM

I've been festering all afternoon on the build outs of my two toons. I'm not sure yet, but I'm kinda liking the Hunter as a Gunslinger w/ a touch of pet specialty. I feel like so far, I can get a couple shots off as a sniper but by than the pack closes in on me and I'm left scrambling anyway.

Soldier infantry build w/ a touch of support seems like a nice hybrid too.
post #120 of 876 Old 10-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

Wow. That makes me believe Borderlands is totally awesome and makes me want to have nothing to do with it at the same time. Games that addictive have ruined me before. And with Forza 3 and Dragon Age I'm already half expecting to be unemployed by Christmas

haha. i totally know what you mean.

my problem is i'll be playing this game until the even more addictive mw2 comes out.

i just barely stopped playing mw1 for borderlands! i'm really in for it...

Gamertag: esaesid
PSN: fistfulofsteel
Xfire: thediseas3
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page